Tipping: Above and Beyond

So, I'm going to start this by saying, I am fully aware that because crew gratuities are a set amount that no additional tipping is actually required. This is to those people who want and usually do to tip additionally for someone who has gone above and beyond. We are going to be in a Neptune Suite on our next cruise (a first for all of us). Because there are three of us, we will need to have the sofa bed made up twice a day (pulled out and then put back). Also, because it is my son's first cruise and he's going to study to be a zoologist, I'm sort of hoping the steward will do towel animals for him each night. All that being said, I'd like to plan to tip our steward a bit extra. How much do you usually tip extra for the cabin stewards, if you are choosing to do so. I know anything would be nice, but any advice previous travelers might have would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it generally recommended to tip the Neptune Lounge concierge or is that what the higher suite rate gratuity is for?

Too many variables to give you an answer...for example, how long is the cruise. Obviously a longer cruise with the extra services provided would get more than a shorter cruise.

Tipping is personal. There is no guidelines on how much.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, HermmyGranger said:

So, I'm going to start this by saying, I am fully aware that because crew gratuities are a set amount that no additional tipping is actually required. This is to those people who want and usually do to tip additionally for someone who has gone above and beyond. We are going to be in a Neptune Suite on our next cruise (a first for all of us). Because there are three of us, we will need to have the sofa bed made up twice a day (pulled out and then put back). Also, because it is my son's first cruise and he's going to study to be a zoologist, I'm sort of hoping the steward will do towel animals for him each night. All that being said, I'd like to plan to tip our steward a bit extra. How much do you usually tip extra for the cabin stewards, if you are choosing to do so. I know anything would be nice, but any advice previous travelers might have would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it generally recommended to tip the Neptune Lounge concierge or is that what the higher suite rate gratuity is for?

All up to you.

If everyone says it's up to you, that doesn't help the OP. On a 7 day cruise, we set aside $20 for each of the Neptune hosts - there are two. And we plan on $40 and $30 for our two room stewards - there are two. Everyone has their own comfort level. We also bring small thank you cards for each. Remember that filling out a comment card for anyone who provides exceptional service during the cruise can make a HUGE difference in their future on the ship.

Hope this helps.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, twodjs said:

If everyone says it's up to you, that doesn't help the OP. On a 7 day cruise, we set aside $20 for each of the Neptune hosts - there are two. And we plan on $40 and $30 for our two room stewards - there are two. Everyone has their own comfort level. We also bring small thank you cards for each. Remember that filling out a comment card for anyone who provides exceptional service during the cruise can make a HUGE difference in their future on the ship.

Hope this helps.

For once someone that give a $$ amount.  Much appreciated.  I don't really understand the beating around the bush answers that usually happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

For once someone that give a $$ amount.  Much appreciated.  I don't really understand the beating around the bush answers that usually happen.

Agreed.  I, too, am interested in a range; but why didn't you suggest a $$ amount?  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks! This does help a lot. It's around what I was thinking, but I like to check. Funny story, when I was in high school, my parents took me on a graduation trip with a friend to London and France. This was back in the 80s and the dollar was crazy strong. Each morning a handsome, friendly young Frenchman brought our free continental breakfast. I would then grab a handful of change for a tip. When I got home, I realized, that with the current exchange rate and the fact that they have 1 Franc coins, I had been tipping him about $8-10 a day for our free breakfast. No wonder he was always on time and smiling. So now I like to have a rough idea of what is somewhat acceptable. I want to tip fairly, but I'm not made of money. 😄

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I am with DJs and that amount is certainly appropriate and of course should be adjusted for how high maintenance you are.  Typically when we cruise we maintain a “respectful high maintenance level”, so we tip accordingly.   My rule of thumb is I try to distribute at least 5% of my cruise fare to the staff that provide me excellent service and go the extra mile.    Typically for a Neptune suite for 7 days,  that is about $250 split amongst the concierge, room stewards, waiters, and a good bar tender or two.  Averaging about $40 per, but I tend to give more to my room stewards because they seems to really take care of me. (Ugly American in need of lots of ice 😀).   

I do tip more if I am in the Pinnacle because the service is so over the top.  Of course, in that case it is well deserved.   BTW, the concierge is really more engaged also in the Pinnacle.  

Also would like to second the “use comment cards”.  I am not sure what the crew gets for being recognized, but I know it must be something special.   I always get a thank you for the comment and always have to remind them, “no, you are the one that deserve the thank you for making my cruise so special!”   Holland America’s staff generally are second to none.  

Edited by Rcriley34
  • Like 5

Quick story on comment cards. We did give a glowing report on a comment card about our cabana server. We found out on a subsequent cruise that the crew members receive a copy of any praise and they are recognized in a crew meeting. AND he told us that our comment was directly responsible for his promotion. WOW! 

Edited by twodjs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Because there is no right or wrong answers, and there are variables like length of cruise. The crew will gladly accept whatever is given.

Still waiting to here what the actual tipping rules are, if I am wrong. Only been on 22 cruises, NEVER have heard any rules on additional tipping. And by the way, we do extra tips almost every cruise ,to at least one crew member or more. We extra tipped 6 crew members on our Feb/Mar cruise.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, twodjs said:

There are no rules - but you must have used some formula to come up with the amount you felt appropriate. That detail would be helpful.

Oh, you must mean "its up to us (you)"!!! 

No formula, just what we felt was right at the time, for that person.

We always tip extra to our room stewards, bar staff that we have interaction to often and once even the gal who was cleaning the women's room.  We got to chatting once and every time after I would see her (even in the hallways) she called me by name and wanted to know how my day was going!  She had tears in her eyes when I gave her an envelope the day before we disembarked.  I am sure with her personality and dedication she will move up in the hierarchy at HAL.

One more comment.  We usually received comment cards in our rooms on previous HAL cruises.  This time we didn't on either our September 2021 and Feb. 2022 cruise.   Do we need to pick them up at the front desk now?  I kept waiting for them!!

• Like 2

Related question - when extra tipping the room stewards how does everyone else handle this?  Separate envelopes for each, or both together?  I usually just put both names on the envelope but do not know if this is the best way to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Related question - when extra tipping the room stewards how does everyone else handle this?  Separate envelopes for each, or both together?  I usually just put both names on the envelope but do not know if this is the best way to do it.

We do one envelope, addressed to both.  They are a team so I figure  they have established some sort of agreement on how tips will be split.  If they have no agreement, that's between the two of them.

Edited by VennDiagram

I’m addition to tipping,  comments submitted on the Navigator app are extremely important.  I submitted comments daily,  always received a telephone call from management thanking me, even if it was constructive criticism.  Also, the staff I praised was extremely appreciative of the recognition.  I usually tip the cabin steward and main dining room waiter an additional $20 per week, their assistants $10 and favorite drink servers( usually several different ones) $10.  

• Like 2

We use Navigator app and almost daily list a special crew or a same crew member. On our 34 day cruise on Rotterdam,  an announcement comes in the morning of turn day comments made to special crew members.  I was away on a land trip when my husband started choking on his breakfast. Our favorite Lido deck crew member came to his aid as well as a vacationing nurse and saved him. It was announced overhead on turn day. Bobby is getting promoted, not knowing what caused it. He's adorable and an awesome crew member. 

• Like 5

As for amounts, per week, we budget $50 for the cabin steward team, $50 for dining steward, $25 each for the assistant dining steward and the wine steward (when they existed). For our favorite bar server, if we have one, we usually plan for $25 to $50. If we don't have one specific bar server, we make a contribution to the "bar staff fund" at the bar we frequent. The few times we have been in Neptunes, I honestly can't remember what we gave the concierges. 

The $s I've mentioned are more or less what we expect to tip, but the actual tip is always subject to adjustment, up or down.

I make sure that there's a thank you note included with each tip, which, according to one Neptune concierge, will go on file with HR and can help with contract renewals, promotions, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because there is no right or wrong answers, and there are variables like length of cruise. The crew will gladly accept whatever is given.

Still waiting to here what the actual tipping rules are, if I am wrong. Only been on 22 cruises, NEVER have heard any rules on additional tipping. And by the way, we do extra tips almost every cruise ,to at least one crew member or more. We extra tipped 6 crew members on our Feb/Mar cruise.

I must have missed the post where the op said they want definite answers.  This “it depends” isn’t helpful to me.  I haven’t  had tons of stays in Neptune suites and I’m a very do it yourself person.  Didn’t know if I should tip $10 or $100.  Lately I tipped zero extra to $40 per person I deal closely with.  I find the auto tips are adequate a good portion of the time.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I used to put it together but now I prefer to give each one an envelope.  On my March cruise I only had one steward and she was wonderful.  Well worth the extra.  The ones on my November cruise were just adequate in my eyes.  They  only got the auto tip.