NCL Prima any thoughts ?

Jonesy333

I was looking for a cruise and PRIMA seems to be much higher than other ships.  Guess that's the price you pay to be on the latest and greatest, but personally, I now pass by any itineraries that are with PRIMA.  Prices are already high enough, even on the oldest ships!  Driving me to MSC Yacht Club or Celebrity Retreat.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

My thought is it should be a great ship and we have it booked for Sept 2023 for a cruise that goes to Norway and Iceland but the price has doubled since we booked it a year ago so if you decide to do it book it at a price you are comfortable with.

We are booked the month before you. I have not been checking prices, but now wonder if they have also doubled for our cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy333 said:

I am considering a couple of Northern Europe cruises on The Prima has anyone got any thoughts ? Thanks 

My thoughts are that with the cancellation of the big inaugural cruise and christening in Iceland, the ship is having major problems and will be delayed (hopefully not as much as other new builds during the pandemic). While we are holding onto our reservations later this year, looking into Plan B already. 

We have the Prima booked and we are concerned about the infinity pool(s), they look awfully small to accommodate the passengers, and we are not even sure if they have water slides...still a kid at heart that likes to play😊. It also looks....hmmm, how do I put it ?....too foo foo ?, cost is what it is otherwise.

We booked Prima early and got a good rate only to have it recently chartered out from under us.  Now the fares are through the roof.  To add insult to injury,  it was part of a side-to-side with another ship in the same port so I had to cancel that one too.  Annoying of course,  but I did get an even better deal on the Bliss for the Panama Canal instead.

Thanks for thoughts , the fares are reasonable from here but waiting for final quote from TA . The trouble im having is that the itinerary I want are on ships I don't like or are too expensive . There' s a great cruise on NCL Prima Iconic NY, Iceland and London which knocks off a fair chunk of my better half's Wish List so I'm waiting for a quote to decide .

26 minutes ago, Jonesy333 said:

Thanks for thoughts , the fares are reasonable from here but waiting for final quote from TA . The trouble im having is that the itinerary I want are on ships I don't like or are too expensive . There' s a great cruise on NCL Prima Iconic NY, Iceland and London which knocks off a fair chunk of my better half's Wish List so I'm waiting for a quote to decide .

Shop around. Two days ago I booked a 12 day Iceland cruise from London for 2023 on Carnival with one of their new sales. 4 days in Iceland with stops in Ireland and Scotland. 4 people (2 kids) in an extended balcony for $3500. That price is half or more less than what other lines are asking for Iceland including NCL. Check that one out if need be.

• Like 1

Ship looks cool but I would never book a brand new ship. I would wait to hear reviews and see what others think and hopefully the price would go down  in 2 years or so.   I would let the cruise line get all the bugs out of the first few sailings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Ship looks cool but I would never book a brand new ship. I would wait to hear reviews and see what others think and hopefully the price would go down  in 2 years or so.   I would let the cruise line get all the bugs out of the first few sailings.

We booked for August 2023 with a fully refundable deposit. We should have time to read reviews well before then; at least I hope so with the way they are cancelling the earliest cruises.

• Like 1

Prima looks like a really nice ship. I can't wait to check out the infinity pools. There is also a pool on one of the upper decks, along with a really neat looking waterslide, besides the other slides on the sides of the ship. My husband will be 68 when we get on board, and is looking forward to trying the go-karts. I am looking forward to seeing some new shows. 

We were on Breakaway and Escape when they were only on their second or third trips out of US after their transatlantic cruises of their inaugural seasons. I loved the atmosphere on those trips. Everyone was excited to check out what these new ships had to offer. 

I just did a mock booking of the cruise I have booked for Prima for this fall. I booked it a year ago and the price for a balcony cabin looks about the same as when I booked. I am hoping the ship is ready by then and we are not cancelled.  Prices for inaugural season sailings on a new class of ship are usually on the high side, but it is a unique experience. 

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Shop around. Two days ago I booked a 12 day Iceland cruise from London for 2023 on Carnival with one of their new sales. 4 days in Iceland with stops in Ireland and Scotland. 4 people (2 kids) in an extended balcony for $3500. That price is half or more less than what other lines are asking for Iceland including NCL. Check that one out if need be.

You must be getting serious discounts from Carnival for all the sniffing around the NCL boards you do. I'm seeing inside only without gratuities or drink packages included fort the price you are quoting. You comment in 60% of the NCL threads about your disdain for their prices yet you're still here bestie...

Screenshot 2022-05-19 115053.png

47 minutes ago, Veggie Burger in Paradise said:

You must be getting serious discounts from Carnival for all the sniffing around the NCL boards you do. I'm seeing inside only without gratuities or drink packages included fort the price you are quoting. You comment in 60% of the NCL threads about your disdain for their prices yet you're still here bestie...

Sniffing around? NCL is my favorite cruise line and I also sail MSC, Royal, Carnival, Holland and Princess. I've sailed the Escape and Bliss Panama Canal and others  last and still have the Escape booked again for 2023. Looks like all you sail is NCL and that's your problem. I've only sailed Carnival three times and my least favorite line and yet they are offering me deals that are amazing compared to the approach NCL is taking by raising prices through the roof. Am I upset and somewhat amused by NCL and their laughable prices they are asking looking forward? The answer is yes. I'm just stating the obvious and telling it how it is . I don't have that 18 day booked.  This Iceland cruise on Carnival I was offered three days ago for $3500 goes for over $8000 for a comparable cruise , length, and cabin on NCL next year. $9000 almost with grats. You're obviously an NCL Homer. With past and future cruises booked with NCL I have every right to rip on them.Screenshot_20220519-122222_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f1946992d72a50bf5845e104bb8591dd.jpg

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

Is the Carnival Pride the renamed ship from the infamous "poop cruise"? 

I don't doubt that you can find less expensive options than NCL, but if the person is a drinker, you should also add a drink package to the Carnival price. Also, you are comparing a brand new ship to an older ship. Kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

I do agree that it is good to shop around, I also like NCL but will cruise on other lines if there is a ship and itinerary I would like to try at a better price.

Edited by Cruising Lynne