Cunard Loyalty

swjumbo

Just booked on my first Cunard cruise and am a tad surprised with the loyalty programme.

Celebrity is our preferred line but she wants to try Cunard so we’ve gone for a basic Grille Suite.

Celebrity offer a lot if you’re a regular (drinks package, laundry, hefty discounts, etc) but the Cunard offering seems to be a tad miserly.

Can you regular Cunard cruisers enlighten me please and what can we look forward to?

Also……. is the Cunard drinks package any good?

• Like 1

The drinks package, at $69/person/per day is pretty stiff for us and we drink a lot. Both passengers in the cabin must sign up for it. Don't forget Cunard allows you to bring unlimited wine, spirits, soda and water onboard.

Jack

Thanks Jack. We can take unlimited drinks on board with us? That’s amazing as we live an hour from Southampton and will have a few bottles in our cabin.

If we’re denied boarding because our suitcases clink too much can I blame you?

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

Thanks Jack. We can take unlimited drinks on board with us? That’s amazing as we live an hour from Southampton and will have a few bottles in our cabin.

If we’re denied boarding because our suitcases clink too much can I blame you?

We just got off a Crossing on the QM2 this pass Sunday. When we boarded in Southampton on May 8th our bags were a clinking:)

8 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

The drinks package, at $69/person/per day is pretty stiff for us and we drink a lot. Both passengers in the cabin must sign up for it. Don't forget Cunard allows you to bring unlimited wine, spirits, soda and water onboard.

Jack

Not according to the Cunard UK website. One bottle of wine each, no spirits. Didn’t notice about water or soft drinks but def no alcohol other than the wine. We are boarding in Fort Lauderdale and had planned on taking a bottle of rum but don’t know what to do now. 

1 minute ago, sandancer said:

Not according to the Cunard UK website. One bottle of wine each, no spirits. Didn’t notice about water or soft drinks but def no alcohol other than the wine. We are boarding in Fort Lauderdale and had planned on taking a bottle of rum but don’t know what to do now. 

See post above , and ignore website.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lissie said:

There are self-service laundries on board so no need to discount that further!   You do know that  Grills is the expensive tier of cabins - nothing basic about it. 

Land you will be able to order some complementary bottles of booze to drink in you cabin. Soft drinks and beer also provided.

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

See post above , and ignore website.

Thanks. We usually have a drinks package but on this cruise it would cost $1794 for both of us. I can’t see us drinking enough to justify that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We are boarding in Fort Lauderdale and had planned on taking a bottle of rum but don’t know what to do now. 

Take as much booze as you can carry. A friend takes a whole case of fizz. We normally take half a dozen bottles of the Widow and we've been on 25+ trips without any problems.

The basic Grill suite is PG and offers no free drinks, unlike QG where we get 2 x litres of spirits that are replenished if necessary.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

Rum?
One’s personal record for Rum/Rhum carried on Cunard is 27 bottles, with the most amusement caused by a barrel being rolled on in Martinique.

There will not be a problem…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The drinks package is more limited than Celebrity’s. For example there is a daily limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day and they are more measured than celebrity’s free pouring, although if you get a good sommelier that helps. However, having been used to the inclusive drinks on Celebrity I would miss having the drinks package so we bite the bullet and pay for it. I like being able to order without giving it anymore thought. Also the wine is expensive by the bottle, although you can buy sets of 6  or 12 bottles at a discount. There is a limit of $12 per drink which covers enough but sometimes it is a bit petty for example if  you go to the gin bar if you order g&t with garnish it is not covered but if you buy the gin and tonic as two separate drinks it is. So as long as you make it clear to the bar staff they will accommodate you. Also unlike Celebrity if the drink is more expensive you pay the whole amount less a discount rather than just the difference. 

In the grills lounge (equivalent to Retreat/Michael’s lounge) you can have complimentary tea and coffee. If you want liqueur coffee that would be charged or part of your package. All soft drinks including water are chargeable. I drink a lot of water so that is another reason that I like the drinks package as it is included. There is no limit for non alcoholic drinks 

Hi all!

Sorry for hijacking the post, but I'm also looking for info on drinks. We had planned to bring a few bottles of wine onboard (Queen Elizabeth in August), leave it with the staff and pay the corkage fee to enjoy (better and all in all cheaper) wine with our dinners. This seems to be possible with HAL, but as someone pointed out, there seems to be a 1 bottle limit per person. Any experience of this? We DO NOT want to drink in our stateroom, but with dinner. 

41 minutes ago, RosannaEL said:

Hi all!

Sorry for hijacking the post, but I'm also looking for info on drinks. We had planned to bring a few bottles of wine onboard (Queen Elizabeth in August), leave it with the staff and pay the corkage fee to enjoy (better and all in all cheaper) wine with our dinners. This seems to be possible with HAL, but as someone pointed out, there seems to be a 1 bottle limit per person. Any experience of this? We DO NOT want to drink in our stateroom, but with dinner. 

See my post #10

1 hour ago, RosannaEL said:

Hi all!

Take as much on board as you want. You will be absolutely fine. Leave it with the staff, and pay the corkage as you wish.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RosannaEL said:

Hi all!

Don't worry about what others may have said, re amount of wine taken onboard Cunard. Take a look again at BigMac's post, and if I may add, as seasoned Cunard guest ( 52 cruises at the last count) I've a wealth of experience of taking wine or spirit  onboard Cunard. 

You will have no problem talking onboard a 'reason amount' of Wine ,including spirit.  On long voyages I would usually take onboard a bottle of spirit and a couple of bottles of expensive wine & maybe some Champagne.

Cunard Line treat their guests as sensible adults , however, they still reserved the right to withhold 'excessive'  amounts of alcohol if deemed necessary , for example the occasional Stag party on mini cruises. 

You do surprise me with your comment about HAL , some years ago I had a part 500ml of bottled water confiscated prior to boarding the Koningsdam maiden voyage .🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago there was a notice on Cunard's website about the one bottle per person limit. It went on to say - words to the effect of - "it is not our intention to enforce this rule unless we feel it necessary." 

As North American passengers we were required to read and agree to the new passage contract for our two voyages this year - 18 pages of small print.  The section about bringing alcohol on board is quite stern. I can't do a copy and paste but here is an excerpt: "At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein.  Your luggage is subject to a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked You may be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded."

If Cunard decides to get tough they can say that you have been notified.  

Regarding the drinks package, for the first time we have been given one for our Alaska cruise. I would never pay for this package, not just because we don't drink enough to make it worthwhile, but it is tempting to order a drink that costs more than the allowed $12. I like some of the cocktails in the Commodore Club. I am not pleased with the policy that any drink over that limit is charged for in full instead of just the difference between $12 and the cost. So if a drink costs even $1 more than the limit you have to pay the whole charge. To me that is a swindle for those who are paying for the package. 

• Like 1

I am surprised you are booking in the Grilles and don’t have a drink package included…I guess the booking inclusions are different for the UK and the US?

When we travel in the Grilles, the drink package is included.  It’s not so bad, we can get plenty of drinks within the price range!!!  (Celebrity’s is a bit better if you have the premium package..) DH and I actually think the drink prices are lower on Cunard so their limit is lower.

Hmmm, perhaps Cunard thinks we Americans drink a lot more 🤣 🤣🤣 and so ups the cruise fare to include the drinks?

?

59 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

A few years ago there was a notice on Cunard's website about the one bottle per person limit. It went on to say - words to the effect of - "it is not our intention to enforce this rule unless we feel it necessary." 

As North American passengers we were required to read and agree to the new passage contract for our two voyages this year - 18 pages of small print.  The section about bringing alcohol on board is quite stern. I can't do a copy and paste but here is an excerpt: "At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein.  Your luggage is subject to a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked You may be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded."

If Cunard decides to get tough they can say that you have been notified.  

Regarding the drinks package, for the first time we have been given one for our Alaska cruise. I would never pay for this package, not just because we don't drink enough to make it worthwhile, but it is tempting to order a drink that costs more than the allowed $12. I like some of the cocktails in the Commodore Club. I am not pleased with the policy that any drink over that limit is charged for in full instead of just the difference between $12 and the cost. So if a drink costs even $1 more than the limit you have to pay the whole charge. To me that is a swindle for those who are paying for the package. 

My understanding was that is a drink is more expensive than the $12 limit, there is a discount of 20% applied to the charge for he drink, as opposed to them charging you for the full price.

Happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood the Cunard drinks package.

People on this board regularly post that bookings made in the US usually or often have drinks packages included as part of the deal. Sounds like the package in the US is gratis anyway. Is this correct?

41 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

... People on this board regularly post that bookings made in the US usually or often have drinks packages included as part of the deal. Sounds like the package in the US is gratis anyway. Is this correct?

The drinks package is usually included for North America bookings in Grill Suites. It's part of the on-going "Grill Suite Offer" which also includes payment by Cunard of the hotel and dining service charge for Grill Suite guests who book in North America. Sometimes special promotions here in North America exclude the "Grill Suite Offer" from Grill Suite bookings but those are few and far between.

Those of us who book Britannia class here in North America occasionally receive promotions that include payment of the hotel and dining service charge. Rarely do we receive promotions that include the drinks package. They do happen but I'd have to go back several years to find a promotion that included a drinks package for Britannia class bookings here in North America.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

The drinks package is usually included for North America bookings in Grill Suites. It's part of the on-going "Grill Suite Offer" which also includes payment by Cunard of the hotel and dining service charge for Grill Suite guests who book in North America. Sometimes special promotions here in North America exclude the "Grill Suite Offer" from Grill Suite bookings but those are few and far between.

Those of us who book Britannia class here in North America occasionally receive promotions that include payment of the hotel and dining service charge. Rarely do we receive promotions that include the drinks package. They do happen but I'd have to go back several years to find a promotion that included a drinks package for Britannia class bookings here in North America.

Thanks very much for clarifying that, John.

11 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Don't worry about what others may have said, re amount of wine taken onboard Cunard. Take a look again at BigMac's post, and if I may add, as seasoned Cunard guest ( 52 cruises at the last count) I've a wealth of experience of taking wine or spirit  onboard Cunard. 

You will have no problem talking onboard a 'reason amount' of Wine ,including spirit.  On long voyages I would usually take onboard a bottle of spirit and a couple of bottles of expensive wine & maybe some Champagne.

Cunard Line treat their guests as sensible adults , however, they still reserved the right to withhold 'excessive'  amounts of alcohol if deemed necessary , for example the occasional Stag party on mini cruises. 

You do surprise me with your comment about HAL , some years ago I had a part 500ml of bottled water confiscated prior to boarding the Koningsdam maiden voyage .🤷‍♂️

and might I add, if anyone knows their alcohol rules on Cunard Bell Boy does!..

Hey Bellboy looking forward to seeing you on the WC?

regards 

• Like 4

On 5/19/2022 at 12:34 AM, swjumbo said:

Just booked on my first Cunard cruise and am a tad surprised with the loyalty programme.

Celebrity is our preferred line but she wants to try Cunard so we’ve gone for a basic Grille Suite.

Celebrity offer a lot if you’re a regular (drinks package, laundry, hefty discounts, etc) but the Cunard offering seems to be a tad miserly.

Can you regular Cunard cruisers enlighten me please and what can we look forward to?

Also……. is the Cunard drinks package any good?

There are many lines that offer considerably more than Cunard's Grills level and I've found that MSC's Yacht Club trumps most of the mainstream cruise lines.

However, what none of the others achieve is the style and glamour associated with Cunard.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, njpln said:

I am surprised you are booking in the Grilles and don’t have a drink package included…I guess the booking inclusions are different for the UK and the US?

When we travel in the Grilles, the drink package is included.  It’s not so bad, we can get plenty of drinks within the price range!!!  (Celebrity’s is a bit better if you have the premium package..) DH and I actually think the drink prices are lower on Cunard so their limit is lower.

Hmmm, perhaps Cunard thinks we Americans drink a lot more 🤣 🤣🤣 and so ups the cruise fare to include the drinks?

?

Drinks Packages are never or very rarely included when you book a Grills suite in the UK. That is what really annoys me about Cunard and their treatment of UK cruisers. Have challenged Cunard many times even writing to CEO in Cunard UK and they give varying poor excuses every time but still treat UK cruisers with contempt.