Gratuity added to specialty dining?

39august

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

My best guess is they are charging the 18% on cruises where they normally add a service charge on drinks paid for (Med and Caribbean) and are simply upping the meal charge on regions where there is usually a higher base drinks charge but no added service charge (Southampton and Australia/NZ).

I could be wrong but that to me would be the easiest explanation…So if you cruise from NZ or Australia this year and we cruise from Southampton we would not pay a service charge but if we both fly to the Caribbean we may pay an 18% surcharge on a meal costing us $0!!!??? The mind boggles.

I had the same thought. For us, gratuities are included in the price we pay for our cruise regardless of region. I did notice the small print on our invoice states that "A service charge for dining and your stateroom attendant are included in your cruise fare. A service charge for additional onboard services purchased will be incurred and reflect on your Onboard Expense Account." My view is that we've already paid for the speciality dining in our cruise fair. It's therefore not an additional onboard service, so no service charge. I am however not a lawyer😉 From memory your next cruise will be before ours. Might fall to you to let us know on CC🤔

9 minutes ago, Redking said:

I had the same thought. For us, gratuities are included in the price we pay for our cruise regardless of region. I did notice the small print on our invoice states that "A service charge for dining and your stateroom attendant are included in your cruise fare. A service charge for additional onboard services purchased will be incurred and reflect on your Onboard Expense Account." My view is that we've already paid for the speciality dining in our cruise fair. It's therefore not an additional onboard service, so no service charge. I am however not a lawyer😉 From memory your next cruise will be before ours. Might fall to you to let us know on CC🤔

We board in October, hopefully someone will report before both of us!

• Like 1

It is clear on Celebrity's current advertising that all specialty restaurants  are +18%.  I actually prefer this as we were never sure who was tipped and who was not.  We saw some people leaving $50 tips, others leaving $5.   At least it is now CLEAR and the employees will hopefully earn some more $$.  Safe sails! 

5 hours ago, cruiseerf said:

It is clear on Celebrity's current advertising that all specialty restaurants  are +18%.  I actually prefer this as we were never sure who was tipped and who was not.  We saw some people leaving $50 tips, others leaving $5.   At least it is now CLEAR and the employees will hopefully earn some more $$.  Safe sails! 

Wow, you could see what other folks tipped.  I pass a tip in a handshake where nobody sees it.

20 hours ago, Redking said:

I was wondering the same thing. I just had our invoices updated for our next three cruises because the codes for the speciality dining hadn't been included on the original invoice - better to avoid any confusion. 

No extra charges in Feb or April.  Will be sailing again in July and will be looking to see if there are extra charges.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiseerf said:

Unfortunately it is not clear on all sailings, for our next cruise out of Australia, the prices have just gone up by 18% with no specific mention of the gratuity...

So it is not clear if the staff are going to get that 18% increase or not...

24 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Unfortunately it is not clear on all sailings, for our next cruise out of Australia, the prices have just gone up by 18% with no specific mention of the gratuity...

So it is not clear if the staff are going to get that 18% increase or not...

Because in Australia it is illegal to charge a compulsory gratuity on top of the cost of anything

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

We’re on the Edge right now and the specialty restaurants show an additional $20 charge for a second main course.

um.... we often order an additional main dish "for the table".  Curious if they actually enforce the charge.  I would guess it would not be charged if you are in a Royal Suite or higher.

1 hour ago, Sam.Seattle said:

um.... we often order an additional main dish "for the table".  Curious if they actually enforce the charge.  I would guess it would not be charged if you are in a Royal Suite or higher.

We are in a Sky Suite.  The charge was listed on the menu.  I’ll ask during dinner tonight if they actually assess it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

We’re on the Edge right now and the specialty restaurants show an additional $20 charge for a second main course.

Yes, that is the fee for the 2nd main course in a specialty restaurant.  

You probably won't be charged if sailing in a Royal Suite as they have made their money from you and you have paid for it already.

It was a nickel more and you go first class; now it is a nickel, dime, quarter, dollar and 20%!  There are so many increases that it is hard to keep up with everything nowadays.  Maybe back to hot dogs and beans a few nights a week too.  I can handle everything except quarantine, but those prices may rise too; if we are lucky, the amount of days will be less.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

I am sceptical of whether the compulsory gratuity will be passed on to the staff and believe that your SD waiter will still be expecting a tip.  “Always Included” which clearly states gratuities are included, is never the case.  Sooner than later it becomes the norm and those who serve expect a tip.
Maybe I’m wrong but the lack of transparency leads my thoughts to - it’s another Revenue Stream for the company.

Edited by mickey89
Typo

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Because in Australia it is illegal to charge a compulsory gratuity on top of the cost of anything

Yes, I understand that part, but can we assume that it is going to the staff or is it just being lost in the accounting...

From the Celebrity Suite concierge pre cruise:  FYI...

"Arranging for your dining plans before sailing will give you more time to relax. Below I have included a brief description and the pricing for each Specialty Restaurant. Kindly note, you will always be able to dine at Luminae should you wish as this is exclusive restaurant for our Suite guests.

Murano- $50 per person + 18% Gratuity
Dramatic floor-to-ceiling windows, gorgeous crystal, and exquisite china provide an elegant backdrop for this magnificent specialty restaurant. A delectable blend of Classic and modern continental cuisine is freshly prepared in multi-course meals, as exquisite European-style service attends to your every need.

Tuscan Grille- $45 per person + 18% Gratuity
This lively, contemporary steakhouse serves a succulent selection of pastas, seafood, steaks and salads. The atmosphere is graced with a hint Italy, making it both rustic and sophisticated, and the wine follows suit with a variety of the country's best.

Le Petit Chef - $55 per person + 18% Gratuity
We are bringing your tabletop to life in Le Petit Chef - an animated character who appears beside your plate and shows you how each course is prepared before you are served the actual dish. It's an immersive, mind-blowing fusion of entertainment and dining like you have never experienced before! We offer two select dining times for this venue, 6 pm and 8:30 pm.

Lawn Club Grill - $45 per person + 18% Gratuity
The bright and modern Lawn Club Grill celebrates the flavorful joys of outdoor grilling. The highlight of dining at the Lawn Club Grill is the opportunity to serve as your party's "Grill Master". The "Grill Master" will be paired with a Celebrity Chef to assist with preparing the menu for the table over a custom-built ventilated grill.

The Porch - $30 per person + 18% Gratuity - Can only be reserved onboard
Relax and gaze out over the cool blue sea or the fresh green grass of the Lawn Club, while savoring just from-the-ocean fare for lunch or dinner. Featuring soups, salads, raw bar, burgers and a magnificent seafood tower along with homemade sangria, signature cocktails, beer and wine. Open for lunch and dinner. Reservations for The Porch can only be made once onboard."

On 5/29/2022 at 6:01 AM, The Traveling Man said:

I think they have always done that for the specialty restaurants.

I believe you can still get as many appys as you want.

I can't imagine someone ordering a second steak at the Tuscan, but you never know.

On 5/29/2022 at 10:10 PM, cruiseerf said:

From the Celebrity Suite concierge pre cruise:  FYI...

"Arranging for your dining plans before sailing will give you more time to relax. Below I have included a brief description and the pricing for each Specialty Restaurant. Kindly note, you will always be able to dine at Luminae should you wish as this is exclusive restaurant for our Suite guests.

Murano- $50 per person + 18% Gratuity
Dramatic floor-to-ceiling windows, gorgeous crystal, and exquisite china provide an elegant backdrop for this magnificent specialty restaurant. A delectable blend of Classic and modern continental cuisine is freshly prepared in multi-course meals, as exquisite European-style service attends to your every need.

Tuscan Grille- $45 per person + 18% Gratuity
This lively, contemporary steakhouse serves a succulent selection of pastas, seafood, steaks and salads. The atmosphere is graced with a hint Italy, making it both rustic and sophisticated, and the wine follows suit with a variety of the country's best.

Le Petit Chef - $55 per person + 18% Gratuity
We are bringing your tabletop to life in Le Petit Chef - an animated character who appears beside your plate and shows you how each course is prepared before you are served the actual dish. It's an immersive, mind-blowing fusion of entertainment and dining like you have never experienced before! We offer two select dining times for this venue, 6 pm and 8:30 pm.

Lawn Club Grill - $45 per person + 18% Gratuity
The bright and modern Lawn Club Grill celebrates the flavorful joys of outdoor grilling. The highlight of dining at the Lawn Club Grill is the opportunity to serve as your party's "Grill Master". The "Grill Master" will be paired with a Celebrity Chef to assist with preparing the menu for the table over a custom-built ventilated grill.

The Porch - $30 per person + 18% Gratuity - Can only be reserved onboard
Relax and gaze out over the cool blue sea or the fresh green grass of the Lawn Club, while savoring just from-the-ocean fare for lunch or dinner. Featuring soups, salads, raw bar, burgers and a magnificent seafood tower along with homemade sangria, signature cocktails, beer and wine. Open for lunch and dinner. Reservations for The Porch can only be made once onboard."

Thanks for the information!

So if you are in a RS or PH is that $0 +18% of $0 = O…..or $0 + 18% of $50 per guest (Murano)?

Or if you are sailing in an area where the price has been increased $0 + 0% = 0….or $0 plus 18% of higher price Murano price?

My mind is beginning to boggle!

On 5/29/2022 at 7:57 PM, Mark_T said:

Yes, I understand that part, but can we assume that it is going to the staff or is it just being lost in the accounting...

That is our main concern too…

14 minutes ago, Vectorboy said:

I think they have always done that for the specialty restaurants.

I believe you can still get as many appys as you want.

I can't imagine someone ordering a second steak at the Tuscan, but you never know.

In all the years we have experienced speciality restaurants we struggle to get through the standard courses…Like you we cannot see ourselves ever managing a second steak…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Thanks for the information!

So if you are in a RS or PH is that $0 +18% of $0 = O…..or $0 + 18% of $50 per guest (Murano)?

Or if you are sailing in an area where the price has been increased $0 + 0% = 0….or $0 plus 18% of higher price Murano price?

My mind is beginning to boggle!

That is our main concern too…

If you are in a RS or PH just tip in Specialty Dining what you want.  Same applies to Luminae.  Not too complicated.

When did they start charging for a second main in the specialty restaurants? I haven't been aboard since 2018 with covid and all but there was never a charge before. I couldn't eat a second main but I have family members who did and weren't charged. I often order a second app.

39 minutes ago, SusieV said:

When did they start charging for a second main in the specialty restaurants? I haven't been aboard since 2018 with covid and all but there was never a charge before. I couldn't eat a second main but I have family members who did and weren't charged. I often order a second app.

Last year on Apex at Fine Cut, I was trying to decide between the filet and the lobster tail.  Our server immediately took the remainder of my order, DH’s order, took the menus and said “it will happen”.  What happened was a lovely surf and turf .. . No added charge.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:35 PM, mickey89 said:

I am sceptical of whether the compulsory gratuity will be passed on to the staff and believe that your SD waiter will still be expecting a tip.  “Always Included” which clearly states gratuities are included, is never the case.  Sooner than later it becomes the norm and those who serve expect a tip.
Maybe I’m wrong but the lack of transparency leads my thoughts to - it’s another Revenue Stream for the company.

I agree there is no transparency in the whole process and I view this 18% "service charge" as just an increase in price that is most probably going directly to the cruise line and not the wait staff.  At the beginning of Specialty Restaurants on cruises the entire fee was supposedly a tip as all cruise passengers already paid for all their meals in the cruise fee (would have been clearer to say the main dinning room credit is say $30 for dinner and the specialty restaurant surcharge above and beyond that is say another $40 so there was some logic to support the fee).  Now the passenger is basically paying full price for a restaurant meal, getting zero credit for the meal they did not eat in the main dinning room and to add insult to injury paying an 18% service charge that people are not even clear is actually a tip and therefor tipping on top of that.  To each their own but I have no interest.

Just boarded RCI’s Navigator OTS today for a B2B. We purchased a total of five nights in specialty dining about two months ago. Looking today the prices have been raised a good bit and there is now the 18% gratuity. That was not the case four weeks ago. We have always tipped in cash when closing out the check but that may change. With gratuity the cost to dine in Chops is now almost $70.00 PP. There up there with X now on specialty dining charges.