Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

We usually buy the package and just did again today. Never once have I worried about getting my money's worth although I'm pretty  sure we at least break even. It's part of the enjoyment of our cruise. Worry free. Some of you need to stop worrying about what other people spend their money on. It makes you look envious. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, baelor said:

^illustrative threads over several years.

Still cannot find any knee-jerk posts about how the DBP is the default right choice for anyone.  So I am not sure why there is resistance to my claim, which is supported by reality, that the knee-jerk reactions, including the ones in this very thread, pretty much all go in one direction.  

Feel free to disagree, but at least pony up the receipts.

Post #159.  I'm trying to search on google.  I don't remember coffee not being included, but this is one example of someone who bought it and couldn't drink their money's worth.

13 minutes ago, BND said:

Post #159.  I'm trying to search on google.  I don't remember coffee not being included, but this is one example of someone who bought it and couldn't drink their money's worth.

And I am sure there are plenty of others like it.

But that was not the original point.  The original point is that presumptuous, small-minded, knee-jerk reactions appear to run in basically a single direction.

And not only has this thread as a whole proven that true, this very page has, with someone calling another person's spending "wasteful."

I actually did the research you suggested, and your view came up completely unsupported by reality.

Please direct us to those many posts that involve people knee-jerk recommending drinks packages.  All I can see is two groups of people:  (1) those providing helpful advice tailored to the OP; (2) those judging people who get the DBP or otherwise assuming that no one could genuinely/reasonably enjoy its value.

Edited by baelor

I just got off a quickie weekend cruise today.

Did Chef's Table.  Drinks included.  Not cheap though.

Brought 2 bottles of wine.  Opened 1 on last night.  Was not charged a corkage fee (maybe the accounts were being closed down?).

Took in a bottle of Sprite.  Snuck in a small amount of tequila.  Made poor man's margaritas.

Got 4 coupons for 50% off a soda, beer or glass of wine.  Tried to use 2 of them.  They brought my GF the wrong wine and let her keep that one (they brought her Moscato rather than Conundrum white blend).  Then they returned, to tell me that they were out of Conundrum.  I asked if they could just bring her a glass of Chardonnay, which they did and didn't charge us for, presumably because it was the third try.

So granted, it was a really short cruise, but I only paid 50% of the price of one glass of wine.  Out of fairness, the Chef's Table was about $180 for two, although as mentioned, it covered one evening's worth of drinks.

I too thought the drink package was too pricey.  I would have purchased it if it was much less. I think MSC has one of the better-priced drink packages, especially if baked into the cruise fare. 

Edited by Stockjock

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

You might still want to go into the CL because even with your DBP any drink over $13.00 you will still have a bar tab for the difference. For those more expensive drinks you may get those in the CL for free because you are staying in a suite.

So know what you are drinking and where you are otherwise you are still going to have a bar tab even with a DBP.

On the Voyager/Freedom class ships, they have a limited selection.  I don't think they have anything that would be over $13. 

I primarily drink Scotch, red wine with dinner, and the occasional bourbon, gin and tonic, or gin martini.  All of the brands I'd want (Johnnie Walker, Chivas Regal, Bombay Sapphire, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace) are under $13.  As for wines, I can enjoy the Mondavi Cabernet under $13/glass, but I may buy a bottle or two in the restaurants.  The 40% bottle discount might actually make them somewhat reasonably priced.  

Still, I am sure we will spend time in the CL.  We always enjoy socializing a bit before dinner.  

Lots of sarcastic comments in this threat which surprise me! 

I get there have been price rises before, and some can justify the package. We can't deny though that the calculation has changed - a drinks package in many cases costing more than a balcony cabin. You have to be a committed drinker in these difficult times to double your vacation cost, even before any other add ons, so clearly they're now not aiming at the masses. 

If inflation (largely due to fuel costs) were the sole driver then we'd see fares jumping, though to date they seem the same/lower to me. 

• Like 1

We were just on the Explorer and my husband and I are Diamond.  We purchased the package just because it was easy for us. We paid $575 per person for 5 of us for an 8 day cruise.  Would have liked it to be cheaper but we paid for it willingly. 

Boy, did we regret it!!

When we boarded we went to the first bar, looked at the menu and ordered one of the main drinks. They couldn't make it because they didn't have any bourbon. We tried a couple other bars and were told the same thing. We chalked it up to Day 1 restocking. But it only got worse from there.

At dinner they were out of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, the only sauvignon blanc by the glass within the package price limit. The next night we ate at Chops and I thought they would stock it there. No, they were out. I asked if they would substitute the other by-the-glass sauvignon blanc that was $3 more but he said no and brought us a terrible one that was not on the menu. He also said they had Kim Crawford but were told not to serve it.

The next day I spoke to management as I passed them in the hall. 

I was expressing surprise at how very understaffed they were. As we stood in line waiting at the empty hostess stand at Chops, a departing diner told us "Good luck" and we saw why unfortunately.  There were other things too. We emphasized that we knew the staff were working their tails off. We didn't blame them at all. 

Well by that evening they found the wine and every bar was stocked with it. However people complained all week because there was no bourbon anywhere after Day 3. Not even Jack Daniels.  No Jameson whiskey.  There were other very familiar liquors that we heard people ordering every night that they were out of. It became the common topic with everyone you chatted with. The bars looked half empty with few bottles even on display. I don't think they had the staff to distribute the liquor they did have to all of the bars. 

So for this cruise, I would call the price outrageous.  They advertise certain alcohol to be in the package and when they can't provide the basics, the price shouldn't be so high. I know they are trying to make up for lost revenue but this was unfair to us who paid so much. I will say the same for the specialty dining, which was extremely understaffed. Don't sell a product you can't provide. And don't put your staff in that position either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

a drinks package in many cases costing more than a balcony cabin. You have to be a committed drinker in these difficult times to double your vacation cost

Or just someone who has a budget of $X for their vacation and want their list of A,B,C (which includes unlimited drinks) checked.  Some get a limited number of vacations per year, so it is more about getting what they want than minimizing cost at all...costs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kands6191 said:

We were just on the Explorer and my husband and I are Diamond.  We purchased the package just because it was easy for us. We paid $575 per person for 5 of us for an 8 day cruise.  Would have liked it to be cheaper but we paid for it willingly. 

Boy, did we regret it!!

When we boarded we went to the first bar, looked at the menu and ordered one of the main drinks. They couldn't make it because they didn't have any bourbon. We tried a couple other bars and were told the same thing. We chalked it up to Day 1 restocking. But it only got worse from there.

At dinner they were out of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, the only sauvignon blanc by the glass within the package price limit. The next night we ate at Chops and I thought they would stock it there. No, they were out. I asked if they would substitute the other by-the-glass sauvignon blanc that was $3 more but he said no and brought us a terrible one that was not on the menu. He also said they had Kim Crawford but were told not to serve it.

I was expressing surprise at how very understaffed they were. As we stood in line waiting at the empty hostess stand at Chops, a departing diner told us "Good luck" and we saw why unfortunately.  There were other things too. We emphasized that we knew the staff were working their tails off. We didn't blame them at all. 

Well by that evening they found the wine and every bar was stocked with it. However people complained all week because there was no bourbon anywhere after Day 3. Not even Jack Daniels.  No Jameson whiskey.  There were other very familiar liquors that we heard people ordering every night that they were out of. It became the common topic with everyone you chatted with. The bars looked half empty with few bottles even on display. I don't think they had the staff to distribute the liquor they did have to all of the bars. 

So for this cruise, I would call the price outrageous.  They advertise certain alcohol to be in the package and when they can't provide the basics, the price shouldn't be so high. I know they are trying to make up for lost revenue but this was unfair to us who paid so much. I will say the same for the specialty dining, which was extremely understaffed. Don't sell a product you can't provide. And don't put your staff in that position either.

Thank you for this practical information from your actual experience.

10 hours ago, baelor said:

And I am sure there are plenty of others like it.

But that was not the original point.  The original point is that presumptuous, small-minded, knee-jerk reactions appear to run in basically a single direction.

And not only has this thread as a whole proven that true, this very page has, with someone calling another person's spending "wasteful."

I actually did the research you suggested, and your view came up completely unsupported by reality.

Please direct us to those many posts that involve people knee-jerk recommending drinks packages.  All I can see is two groups of people:  (1) those providing helpful advice tailored to the OP; (2) those judging people who get the DBP or otherwise assuming that no one could genuinely/reasonably enjoy its value.

OMG.  You ask for links to posts.  I give you one and then you go off on another rant about how that's not what this thread is about.   Um, I even said the title of this thread is about the outrageous cost, but whatever.  

How exactly did you do the "research"?  LOL.  No way you could have searched google for all the threads, but you just keep digging in your heels that you are the authority.

Apparently, we all forgot this is your thread and you get to decide what is posted. I'm glad you gave us all the rules so we don't mistakenly post something you don't like.  Whew.

BTW, calling people small-minded borders on breaking CC rules.  You might want to read up on them.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Lots of sarcastic comments in this threat which surprise me! 

I get there have been price rises before, and some can justify the package. We can't deny though that the calculation has changed - a drinks package in many cases costing more than a balcony cabin. You have to be a committed drinker in these difficult times to double your vacation cost, even before any other add ons, so clearly they're now not aiming at the masses. 

If inflation (largely due to fuel costs) were the sole driver then we'd see fares jumping, though to date they seem the same/lower to me. 

I mean, there are people here that will spend more than a balcony cabin for a cabana at CocoCay for a day. Hell, for my sailing, the Coco Beach Club (Cabana + Day Pass) literally costs more than my cruise fare. But guess what? It's sold out for my cruise. The overwater cabana and day pass costs more than my cruise + DBP combined. Completely sold out. 

5 hours ago, kands6191 said:

Boy, did we regret it!!

Have read more than one review of Explorer with this same issue, poorly stocked even more poorly staffed.  We are on an ABC itinerary in late October.  Hope to get more positive feedback by then.  And as to this topic, $70 with gratuities included is my top end.  We paid $71.99 on a Harmony 7 day and, although my son picked up the slack, I struggled more than I though I would.  Found I no longer like the fruity frozen drinks poolside. Our next cruise is showing $73 pre tip so it’s a hard pass for us.  We’ll pay OOP & be Diamond after that.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kands6191 said:

Boy, did we regret it!!

If I was you I would have went to Customer Relations and at least got 2 or 3 days of the DBP refunded on the spot. That is unacceptable to charge you as much as they did for a diluted product.

Did you get a refund onboard, if not I would be fighting for one now since you got back from your cruise?

• Like 3

On 5/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, mattnday said:

I knew it was expensive but the last time we did it for 7 night it cost like $850. 

This go round it it over $1200 for our 7 night Carribean trip on the Allure coming up in November. 

They have finally got me to the point where I just wont dot it. I was expecting $1000 but not $1200

The total BS part is this is the lower sales price of what I have seen as part of one of their sales.

The normal price was closer to $1400 through my portal. 

Looks like last time you paid $59/night ($850 / 7 / 2). The $1,200 would be $85 a night which is way to expensive. You should be able to get a deal in the mid to high $60s. $69 a day would end up cost $966 which is really only $116 more over your previously pricing. Be patient, check pricing weekly (I would set a reminder for Wednesday's). It will be drop.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If I was you I would have went to Customer Relations and at least got 2 or 3 days of the DBP refunded on the spot. That is unacceptable to charge you as much as they did for a diluted product.

Did you get a refund onboard, if not I would be fighting for one now since you got back from your cruise?

Agree with this although our first day on Allure 2 weeks ago the bars were missing a lot of inventory. Day 2 they were restocked.

Ok so i just found out this secret for Euro sailings.

Price online = 69 GBP per day

Price on Ship 68 GBP per day

Price on phone or via TA is 40GBP Per day.

Glad i called to complain or i wouldnt have found this out!

5 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Ok so i just found out this secret for Euro sailings.

Price online = 69 GBP per day

Price on Ship 68 GBP per day

Price on phone or via TA is 40GBP Per day.

Glad i called to complain or i wouldnt have found this out!

Given the wait times for calls, I'd say that discount is definitely earned 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big_G said:

Agree with this although our first day on Allure 2 weeks ago the bars were missing a lot of inventory. Day 2 they were restocked.

We ran into this on EN in April.  First day on our second leg of our b2b, they had no Pinot Grigio.  Second or third day they did.  I think it had more to do with being short staffed they don't have time to go dig through their stores  so they do it when they have time or they come across it.   It's not like they restocked off the coast of NC lol.    There was even times when one bar would run out of something and unless they weren't busy, they couldn't spare someone to go to another bar.  They did do this for me once but other times they couldn't.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BND said:

OMG.  You ask for links to posts.  I give you one and then you go off on another rant about how that's not what this thread is about.   Um, I even said the title of this thread is about the outrageous cost, but whatever.  

How exactly did you do the "research"?  LOL.  No way you could have searched google for all the threads, but you just keep digging in your heels that you are the authority.

Apparently, we all forgot this is your thread and you get to decide what is posted. I'm glad you gave us all the rules so we don't mistakenly post something you don't like.  Whew.

BTW, calling people small-minded borders on breaking CC rules.  You might want to read up on them.  

You sound really angry over nothing.  If you do not want to talk about my posts, do not respond to my posts.  But if you do respond to my posts, I expect your response to address the substance of my post rather than some other post and will happily note when you do not. 

The fact remains that on this thread and any other that anyone has linked to, the knee-jerk reactions, judgmentalism, and presumptuousness have all run in one direction.  You may not care about that, which is fine.  Then just don't respond.  Or respond with counterevidence.  

But at least stay mentally disciplined and clear about what you are actually responding to.

Edited by baelor
  • Haha 2

We get the Refreshment Package along with the 2 bottles of wine allowed. We usually only purchase one maybe two at the most per day so the UBP is not cost effective for us.  After our August British Isles cruise we will be Diamond and will have the 4 drink coupons. 

12 minutes ago, BND said:

There was even times when one bar would run out of something and unless they weren't busy, they couldn't spare someone to go to another bar.  They did do this for me once but other times they couldn't.  

In this case if it's something I really want and Mohammad can't come to the mountain, the mountain will come to Mohammad and I will seek out the proper bar.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, baelor said:

You sound really angry over nothing.  If you do not want to talk about my posts, do not respond to my posts.  But if you do respond to my posts, I expect your response to address the substance of my post rather than some other post and will happily note when you do not. 

The fact remains that on this thread and any other that anyone has linked to, the knee-jerk reactions, judgmentalism, and presumptuousness have all run in one direction.  You may not care about that, which is fine.  Then just don't respond.  Or respond with counterevidence.  

But at least stay mentally disciplined and clear about what you are actually responding to.

It is difficult to do an accurate search with vague terms.  Do you include "is it worth it" "drink package" "dbp" "should I buy it" "alcohol" and/or some combination?   Only within the last couple of months, when DBP pricing has jumped to $65+/day have people started shying away.   Trust those of us who have been here awhile that there have been LOTS of posts saying "just get it". 

Now, I get it.  You have a problem with those posts hinting someone must have a drinking problem if they "get their money's worth" out of the drink package.  But don't you see how others would have a similar issue with you claiming there are many "small minded" people on here?  

• Like 2