United States Passport Renewal. She's tricky 😉

dheat789

Just got off the Paradise Saturday and sent our passports in for renewal Monday. Was wondering if anyone has done a renewal lately to see what the wait time is now, I know they were backed up after covid. I was wanting to book a July trip but I'm a little hesitant.

We both sent our passports in on the same day, they cashed both checks on same day, we paid the extra for expedited service, got mine in 2 weeks, 6 weeks later she hasn't gotten hers. They say expedited is 5 - 7 weeks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dheat789 said:

Just got off the Paradise Saturday and sent our passports in for renewal Monday. Was wondering if anyone has done a renewal lately to see what the wait time is now, I know they were backed up after covid. I was wanting to book a July trip but I'm a little hesitant.

I applied for my renewal in December, got my new passport in early January - 3 weeks total.  I had it expedited.  YMMV.

11 hours ago, Schu said:

We both sent our passports in on the same day, they cashed both checks on same day, we paid the extra for expedited service, got mine in 2 weeks, 6 weeks later she hasn't gotten hers. They say expedited is 5 - 7 weeks.

I'm sorry for your partner's troubles.  She should start screaming at them if she hasn't already.

16 hours ago, dheat789 said:

If you are thinking about a closed loop cruise from a US port on most lines, you will only need photo ID and birth certificate - hopefully in hand now, but worth getting if not.

• Like 1

We mailed our renewal application the last week of March.  We did not pay for expedited processing, since we did not have any compelling need to do so.  Our new passports arrived in the mail the last week of April.  

I mailed mine on April 22, they logged it in as "In Processing" April 26.  Still in processing today.  I paid for expediting and to have it sent priority mail back to me.  Suppose to cruise June 6th and am getting worried.  I booked an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle not realizing I couldn't just travel with a birth certificate, so yes, I cut it close but I wasn't aware I needed it.  I'm suppose to cruise in January, so I thought I was early!

12 minutes ago, travlndiva said:

I mailed mine on April 22, they logged it in as "In Processing" April 26.  Still in processing today.  I paid for expediting and to have it sent priority mail back to me.  Suppose to cruise June 6th and am getting worried.  I booked an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle not realizing I couldn't just travel with a birth certificate, so yes, I cut it close but I wasn't aware I needed it.  I'm suppose to cruise in January, so I thought I was early!

Are you a US citizen? On a closed loop cruise? On which cruise line? 

Mass market cruise lines normally follow DHS rules that permit US citizens on US-based closed loop cruises to cruise with an official (not hospital-issued) birth certificate and  a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license. On the other hand luxury lines typically require all passengers to have a passport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Are you a US citizen? On a closed loop cruise? On which cruise line? 

Mass market cruise lines normally follow DHS rules that permit US citizens on US-based closed loop cruises to cruise with an official (not hospital-issued) birth certificate and  a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license. On the other hand luxury lines typically require all passengers to have a passport.

It stops in Victoria, BC Canada. Not a closed loop cruise.

6 minutes ago, travlndiva said:

It stops in Victoria, BC Canada. Not a closed loop cruise.

Closed loop means it starts and ends in the same port. You're starting and ending in Seattle? 

Stopping in Victoria doesn't mean it's not closed loop. All foreign-flagged cruise ships have to make a foreign port call.

Are you on Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean? Or even Holland America or Princess? If yes, 99.999% certainty that the cruise line's rules allow you to use a birth certificate and drivers license.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

I was told by a TA that when cruising with a port in Canada, you need a passport.  Regardless, I'd prefer to have my passport, it's always best to have it (not that I'm a pier runner, but still).

17 hours ago, travlndiva said:

So as of today, and very early in the morning on May 20, my passport application is marked approved!  Those of you wondering about timelines...I will post the actual date I receive my passport when it arrives (I did pay for priority shipping). I checked late last night and it was still marked "in process".  I checked before 7am (mountain time) this morning and it was approved.  I will be very happy to have it and now I'm set for our January cruise and Ireland next spring!

I was at an info meeting last night for our Ireland trip (my daughter's marching band is competing in Ireland next year) and that TA said that regular passport processing times right now are running 3-4 weeks, because they are caught up and it's faster than the expedited times right now.

Edited by travlndiva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, travlndiva said:

I was told by a TA that when cruising with a port in Canada, you need a passport.  Regardless, I'd prefer to have my passport, it's always best to have it (not that I'm a pier runner, but still).

So as of today, and very early in the morning on May 20, my passport application is marked approved!  Those of you wondering about timelines...I will post the actual date I receive my passport when it arrives (I did pay for priority shipping). I checked late last night and it was still marked "in process".  I checked before 7am (mountain time) this morning and it was approved.  I will be very happy to have it and now I'm set for our January cruise and Ireland next spring!

I was at an info meeting last night for our Ireland trip (my daughter's marching band is competing in Ireland next year) and that TA said that regular passport processing times right now are running 3-4 weeks, because they are caught up and it's faster than the expedited times right now.

I'm glad to hear your passport was approved.

Certainly it's best to have a passport, but your travel agent is wrong. It's not required for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise that includes Canada as long as your particular cruise line allows the other options permissible under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. it's no different than a closed loop cruise to Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas or most Caribbean islands You can check your cruise line's requirements on their website.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, travlndiva said:

It's advised, but not required.

I mailed my renewal in this week, the person at the post office suggested it could take 4 MONTHS.  Maybe I mis-heard and she said 4 weeks.

On 5/20/2022 at 7:32 AM, travlndiva said:

Just to update - I received my expedited and USPS Priority Mail sent passport today, May 21.  I found out it was approved yesterday in the early morning. The status update stated I'd receive it by May 25.  It was originally mailed April 22. They received it and marked it in-process on April 26. So, 4 weeks from the day I dropped it into the mailbox.

Very happy to have it in-hand.  It makes check-in just a bit easier. I really don't care if the TA was right or wrong about having the passport for Canada.  I like to have it, regardless, and with another cruise in January and especially Ireland next spring, I'm glad it's one less thing off my plate.

• Thanks 1

This is nothing more than a simple heads up and to give you a straight up idea of what your going to experience if you're like many of us who have US Passports expiring. 

#1 Not only don't hurry it ain't happenin I highly recommend applying for a renewed US Passport 6 months before your current Passport expires trust me on that.  

#2 Fill out all your paperwork from the post office, you better make sure every single letter of your application is perfect.  State Department they're tight. 

#3 Make sure your Passport photo is PERFECT. They got me. The improper photo cost me an extra month and then some.  Killed me I had to send it all back with new photo dumbass sent the WRONG photo, State Department they wouldn't accept it, another $10 in postage another $10 for the new correct photo, killed me again.  I'm on a budget 🙂😉.

#5 The grand total Passport Passport Card I get both and so should you $200. The $200 thats the easy part it's the 4 mountains of B.S. in-between.  Hope this helps.

Too all my friends at CC I hope and pray you are healthy and safe. Looking forward to getting back reading your very entertaining comments, you folks are very funny or I would have never been here for well over the last 20 years. 

We've all been very blessed to be able to do things like this most if not all of us time and time again.  

I think we're making it through this dumpster 🔥,  at least I keep thinking we are.  I can tell you this I'm very much looking forward to planning and taking my next vacation it's long overdue, I'm getting back on a ship again for a long time. 

Glad to be back 😉

Todd 

Just renewed my passport in April.  Got picture taken at post office.  Form was easy and straightforward.  I did pay extra to get it expedited as I had heard it was taking 3 to 4 months even with expedited service.  I had the new passport in less than 2 weeks!

Sorry you had so much trouble.  Happy travels!

Bonnie

Not sure what this has to do with sailing out of Florida.  There are a couple of threads on passport renewal on the Ask a Cruise Question  board. The Covid situation slowed down new applications and renewals.  That is well documented. 

Biometrics is the future, which is here, right now, and has been referenced in a good number of reports of cruise reports, including ours. That requires a good, clear picture. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:45 PM, hallux said:

It's advised, but not required.

I mailed my renewal in this week, the person at the post office suggested it could take 4 MONTHS.  Maybe I mis-heard and she said 4 weeks.

You didn't "misheard". 😳

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure what this has to do with sailing out of Florida.  There are a couple of threads on passport renewal on the Ask a Cruise Question  board. The Covid situation slowed down new applications and renewals.  That is well documented. 

Biometrics is the future, which is here, right now, and has been referenced in a good number of reports of cruise reports, including ours. That requires a good, clear picture. 

Hey Clyde!!

Silly of me I thought this thread implied Florida Departures it didn't say "sailing out of Florida". For many of us who fly to Florida for me the last 45 years Leave the country by either another flight,(MIA,FFL,TIA,WPB) for starters or get on a ship for a couple of weeks. Leave the US and return to the US via the state of Florida by every way imaginable. This post applies directly to this thread. 

If I were you I would take my biometrics and stick them where the sun never shined.😉🤮

Sent my husband's passport renewal, priority mail, on 5/2/22. I did not ask for expedited service and it arrived yesterday, 5/28/22. I'm not sure how we got it so quickly, but I am extremely happy as we need it for a cruise next month. 

2 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

Sent my husband's passport renewal, priority mail, on 5/2/22. I did not ask for expedited service and it arrived yesterday, 5/28/22. I'm not sure how we got it so quickly, but I am extremely happy as we need it for a cruise next month. 

I am jealous :).  We just sent in DWs Passport last Wednesday and did pay the extra money to have it expedited.   If we thought there was any chance that it would have been processed (normally) within 6-8 weeks we would have not paid for expedited.

Hank