CONCERNED!!

capegirl

Just read wdlnds58 review regarding recent cruise on Onward.  Not good at all!  I am booked on a future cruise on Onward but am concerned by this review that I have made a big mistake and am wasting my money. I usually ignore to a degree bad reviews but this seems serious.   I have had three previous cruises before the pandemic on Azamara and was extremely happy.  Oops!

I wouldn't worry too much. The author is probably the same as the one who posted a terrible video on YouTube and slaughtered the cabin defects before the ship had sailed more than a day.

Surely the poster had reason to e disappointed, but the first thing you do is to contact the Hotel Director on board and then you probably will get the help which is possible to get. Everybody on the inaugural sailing got a full refund because of deficiencies on board. The ship was not really ready to sail.

Besides of that, the review is real and marks one persons experience. On this board there have been also many critical voices about Onwards first sailings. It should get better as they keep fixing things that should have been done in the dock.

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 4

I’m being guided by our own previous experiences in Azamara and can’t wait.

We’ll be on pursuit in 3 months, not Onward, but have no doubt that Azamara people will get it right very quickly to rectify minor teething problems on Onward and you should anticipate another great experience to go with your prior cruise memories.

2022 is a particularly hard year for all cruise lines - little revenue because of FCC; undoubtedly supply line complications (just like everywhere else); staffing issues (just like everywhere else); no off-board Azamazing nights before Nov; relocation to Ravenna from Venice (outside their control) - it ain’t easy. I don’t care if some areas aren’t as good as pre-covid at present; and I certainly expect there’ll be some shortcomings on Pursuit too. We’ll roll with them and make the most of the fact that we can actually fly and cruise again.

When you read negative reviews just remember you’ve come across negative cruisers before; who have no perspective on how fortunate they are.  I’ll bet some people whinged and complained on the cruises you previously enjoyed but it didn’t stop your enjoyment.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I guess it is all down to people’s expectations and priorities but we were on Onward last week and had a lovely cruise. Yes there are areas which need some remedial work but I’ve been on many other ships which have been very ‘tired’ and in need of refurbishment. The food and the entertainment was good, the hard working crew were cheerful and the service we received from them was exemplary, in my view that goes a very, very long way. 

• Like 12

I second the suggestion to read Noggins posts about his Onward experience.  It’s a very down to earth, realistic analysis of his cruise.  Then you can be calm and confident rather than concerned! 😁

• Like 2

We were on the same cruise as Noggins was, and as Penton already mentioned: we had a lovely cruise. Of course there were things that could have been better (we had some issues with the airco, but those were resolved pretty fast, and you can tell that there wasn't enough time to finish the complete refurbishing) but those were really just minor things. If I had the chance, I would board Onward again today.

• Like 4

I’ve just read the review mentioned and it does sound like the person who posted the YouTube video, personally I don’t understand taking to social media rather than trying to address the issues with the onboard management.

As others have said it’s all about managing expectations and Onward is not a new ship it’s 23 years old and that should be taken into consideration.

We were on the Inaugural voyage so experienced the ship first hand, we know from experience that maiden voyages always have issues regardless whether the ship is brand new or 23 years old. Our cabin was near perfect the only issues were a missing lamp cover and a small mark on the headboard, so insignificant.

Yes there were issues with somethings not completed and some supply issues, most of the uncompleted items were cosmetic and didn’t really impact on our cruise. As regards supply issues that’s something post pandemic we’re all experiencing, be it supermarket shopping or building projects delays and non availability of items is something we are living with and it’s no different for Azamara.

We have two future Onward cruises booked and looking at a third and have absolutely no reservations about cruising on this particular Azamara ship. 

• Like 7

We were also on the same cruise as my good friend Mr N, as well as the previous one. I will read his thread soon but suffice to say that the plusses , for us, outweighed the minuses. Had a great time and would definitely return. Senior crew are well aware that the ship is not in the condition they would wish but the issues are mainly of a cosmetic nature.. Had a great time !! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, AJCM said:

I’m being guided by our own previous experiences in Azamara and can’t wait.

We’ll be on pursuit in 3 months, not Onward, but have no doubt that Azamara people will get it right very quickly to rectify minor teething problems on Onward and you should anticipate another great experience to go with your prior cruise memories.

2022 is a particularly hard year for all cruise lines - little revenue because of FCC; undoubtedly supply line complications (just like everywhere else); staffing issues (just like everywhere else); no off-board Azamazing nights before Nov; relocation to Ravenna from Venice (outside their control) - it ain’t easy. I don’t care if some areas aren’t as good as pre-covid at present; and I certainly expect there’ll be some shortcomings on Pursuit too. We’ll roll with them and make the most of the fact that we can actually fly and cruise again.

When you read negative reviews just remember you’ve come across negative cruisers before; who have no perspective on how fortunate they are.  I’ll bet some people whinged and complained on the cruises you previously enjoyed but it didn’t stop your enjoyment.

We were on Onward for the inaugural sailing... please don't believe everything you hear and read. It was another wonderful cruise for us...so great to be able to cruise again. Our favourite Azamara certainly did not disappoint us.

• Like 8

Love Azamara, but dismissing a review because it is not something we want to hear is a mistake.  This ship was not ready to sail.  The company has acknowledged that by giving out 100% future cruise credit to everybody  on the maiden voyage.  Personally, I will wait to sail on the ship until things are where they should be, but it wouldn't stop me from sailing on her now if I was already booked.  I would however be disappointed if I had experienced the same issues the reviewer had - especially when Azamara markets itself as an upscale experience with prices to match.  It's simply not acceptable when they have so much competition.

Edited by Xcelsior
  • Like 4

We are booked on Outward next May.  I'm not as concerned about the maiden voyage because all ships sailing maiden regardless of the cruise line have adjustments.  What I am concerned is how the new owner, Sycamore Partners, handles the cruise line going forward.

I was not wowed on my December 2021 Quest sailing. There were supply chain problems for common liquors and food items on the cruise.

I'm still getting the run around with the ship's store for a defective Mary Francis purse for my wife.  It was the last month Starboard Cruise Services, had the gift shop before they transferred to a better company.  However Azamara after a few months of my emailing them sent me to the current vendor not the December one. It's still a cluster.

I'm hoping Sycamore gets their act together.  The Azamara pre RCG sale was very good.  My jury is till out on the new owner. There are some positives but many negatives.  Perhaps it's a learning curve. Perhaps covid related. Who knows the reasons?

Without the clout of RCG, the Venice port is now two hours away for our May Greek Isles cruise while the bigger cruise companies are closer to Venice.  

My bottom line is every review has some validity based upon their current cruising AZ experience.  I'm going to read them all and weigh them on credibility of detail.  The previous Azamara experience is moot even though the best cruise we ever had was on Azamara.  Just MHO. YMMV.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We are booked on Outward next May.  I'm not as concerned about the maiden voyage because all ships sailing maiden regardless of the cruise line have adjustments.  What I am concerned is how the new owner, Sycamore Partners, handles the cruise line going forward.

I was not wowed on my December 2021 Quest sailing. There were supply chain problems for common liquors and food items on the cruise.

I'm still going the run around with the ship's store for a defective Mary Francis purse for my wife.  It was the last month Starboard Cruise Services, had the gift shop before they transferred to a better company.  However Azamara after a few months of my emailing them sent me to the current vendor not the December one. 

I'm hoping Sycamore gets their act together.  The Azamara pre RCG sale was very good.  My jury is till out on the new owner. There are some positives but many negatives.  Perhaps it's a learning curve. Perhaps covid related.

Without the clout of RCG, the Venice port is now two hours away for our May Greek Isles cruise while the bigger cruise companies are much closer to Venice.  

My bottom line is every review has some validity based upon their current cruising AZ experience.  I'm going to read them all and weigh them on credibility of detail.  The previous Azamara experience is moot even though the best cruise we ever had was on Azamara.  Just MHO. YMMV.

There are pros and cons to the alternative docking places now that Venice has refused ships above a certain gross tonnage.  You may have noticed that Oceania is using Ravenna also.  I think there is a lot to be said for docking in Ravenna.  Marghera and Fusina may be closer to Venice in distance, but because those ports are part of the huge Marghera industrial complex, there is no walking, no taxis and no shuttles allowed inside of the port.  From what I’ve read so far, your only choice would be to take a ship’s excursion, and it takes about 50 minutes each way to get out of and back into the port. I also saw this set of instructions on what to do in case of “an incident” in the Marghera port area. 

AAE65B41-4E7D-4928-9BD7-B9B908EF4706.jpeg

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, laurieb said:

It appears that both celebrity and royal Caribbean are also using Ravenna for Venice.  Apparently rccl has no clout 

Or has realized that Marghera is a lousy alternative until the new terminal is built [some day; remember the adage about Rome...]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year Azamara used Trieste.  Whilst we loved Ravenna the port area we docked in is not an area we would want to just get off the ship and wander. The Azamara shuttle was good.   However Trieste is a lovely place, we were very impressed when we stopped there on a cruise some years ago.  

Of course the downside it is again 2 hours by road or train from Venice.  

I have a friend who embarks in Venice on Viking mid June and will be interested to learn from her experience of Fusina/Marghera.

• Like 1

I spoke to Captain Carl on Onwards Maiden about this, originally they were told any cruise ship ban in Venice would be ships above 40,000 tonnes so Azamara would have been ok, the 25,000 tonnes limit came as a big blow to their plans. Then the promised docking at Marghera did not materialise so the only real option left was Ravenna. The situation regarding Venice is ongoing but if there’s no suitable docking location near Venice for next year then Trieste is going to be considered as an option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Riocca said:

I spoke to Captain Carl on Onwards Maiden about this, originally they were told any cruise ship ban in Venice would be ships above 40,000 tonnes so Azamara would have been ok, the 25,000 tonnes limit came as a big blow to their plans. Then the promised docking at Marghera did not materialise so the only real option left was Ravenna. The situation regarding Venice is ongoing but if there’s no suitable docking location near Venice for next year then Trieste is going to be considered as an option.

I could see merit in calling at both Ravenna and Trieste in the same cruise. Passengers would have access to Bologna, Modena, Trieste and other less-visited areas, and some access to Venice as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I'm still getting the run around with the ship's store for a defective Mary Francis purse for my wife.  It was the last month Starboard Cruise Services, had the gift shop before they transferred to a better company.  However Azamara after a few months of my emailing them sent me to the current vendor not the December one. It's still a cluster.

I'm hoping Sycamore gets their act together.  The Azamara pre RCG sale was very good.  My jury is till out on the new owner. There are some positives but many negatives.  Perhaps it's a learning curve. Perhaps covid related. Who knows the reasons?

Without the clout of RCG, the Venice port is now two hours away for our May Greek Isles cruise while the bigger cruise companies are closer to Venice.  

This is my big concern too and we just have to see how it all pans out. Just a couple of snippets of information. Admittedly I haven't yet been on Onward or the "new" Azamara and this info comes from a friend who I trust as a reliable source and has been on the ship. Firstly, the material used on the pool deck, running track and balcony flooring was of a very cheap appearance and does not match the existing ships. Secondly I have heard that the Hotel Director will be much less visible going forward with a different emphasis, decided to be this way by Sycamore.  This will be a real shame as they are a key part of the team and important to guests. The HD on Onward was pretty invisible so I understand. I'm not sure what this will mean for the fleet. It would not sit well with the likes of Heike Berdos on her ship. Invisibility is not not her thing at all. 

Let's see how it goes. More and more reports will be coming out and the fears I have might be unfounded, but from what I've heard about Onward and the way it is run I won't be rushing to book a cruise on her just yet. 

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

This is my big concern too and we just have to see how it all pans out. Just a couple of snippets of information. Admittedly I haven't yet been on Onward or the "new" Azamara and this info comes from a friend who I trust as a reliable source and has been on the ship. Firstly, the material used on the pool deck, running track and balcony flooring was of a very cheap appearance and does not match the existing ships. Secondly I have heard that the Hotel Director will be much less visible going forward with a different emphasis, decided to be this way by Sycamore.  This will be a real shame as they are a key part of the team and important to guests. The HD on Onward was pretty invisible so I understand. I'm not sure what this will mean for the fleet. It would not sit well with the likes of Heike Berdos on her ship. Invisibility is not not her thing at all. 

Let's see how it goes. More and more reports will be coming out and the fears I have might be unfounded, but from what I've heard about Onward and the way it is run I won't be rushing to book a cruise on her just yet. 

Phil 

I appreciate your candidness.  I'm conflicted, hoping for positive things about Onward because we did book her.  While we've usually sailed in a veranda cabin, I stepped up to a suite.  So I'm now trying to mentally justify that decision.

Ryszard was the Hotel Director on the best cruise we've sailed to date.  It was an incredible experience. He was everywhere and arranged such out of the box events including an onboard talk by Lech Walesa. (Our sympathies to Mr. Walesa's family on his passing last month)

Ryszard's was one of the things that made that cruise exceptional.  Now Sycamore wants to hide the HDs?  Sorry to hear that.

I too hope my fears are unfounded.  A Greek Isles intensive is on my bucket list and Azamara itineraries are the best at immersion, IMO.

• Like 1

Phil, our experience on the maiden was quite different as regards the HD we spoke with her at length nearly every day, she was obviously extremely busy dealing with issues during the cruise. We were apprehensive about what might be different post RCG but didn’t think there was a lot of difference, to us senior staff were more visible than on Pursuit’s maiden. Of course we’ve no idea of Sycamore’s long term intentions but we had two conversations with the head of hotel from Miami and he didn’t give any indication that there were changes afoot, but we didn’t ask either. It was very that the onboard management are much more involved in the decision making process than before.

As to the pool deck & jogging track flooring it was obviously left from the Princess days as you could see the repairs where changes were made to the pool surround, looked to have been recently replaced by Princess but unfortunately the contractors had dropped wood stain on it in a number of places. Whether it was a cost saving exercise or that time didn’t allow it to be replaced I couldn’t say, but given the age of the ship and the money spent on more important things probably the former. Will say though that the red flooring material on the jogging track is the same as the other ships used to have and is much better for walking on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ryszard was certainly visible and available on our Quest cruise in February, despite having to deal with the impact on many crew members of the invasion of Ukraine.  I'm sensing an over-reaction to maiden voyage glitches affecting Onward.

• Like 2

The visibility of the HD sometimes depends of the personality. In December 2019 before COVID our hotel director on the, then “new” Azamara Pursuit, a lady who was fairly new to Azamara, was not very approachable and/or visible. I think her name was Elizabeth.

Ivi