Reading online newspapers or magazines on board?

zitsky

We all talk about how good or bad the internet is.  If I have the basic internet will I have trouble reading newspapers or magazines online?  I like to read the New York Times when I travel.  So I thought I might subscribe before I go.  It's mostly text but I'm guessing there are a good amount of photos that have to be downloaded.  I plan to take a tablet with me but I also do a lot of reading on my phone.

44 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I don’t think you will have a problem. We downloaded the WSJ daily last year without a problem. I’m sure the Times app is comparable. Enjoy.

I sometimes read the WSJ.  You download it?  You don’t read in a web browser?

Overall, you shouldn't have a problem.  However, there have been days where the internet was so slow that it was virtually useless.  That's not a Celebrity issue as much as it is a satellite internet issue, and I've encountered it on other lines.  It's just the way it is.

41 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Overall, you shouldn't have a problem.  However, there have been days where the internet was so slow that it was virtually useless.  That's not a Celebrity issue as much as it is a satellite internet issue, and I've encountered it on other lines.  It's just the way it is.

I will research if the paper comes as app or web page.  An app might not totally solve the problem but maybe I could download on a fast day and read on a slow day.  Obviously I want the most up to date news.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I will research if the paper comes as app or web page.  An app might not totally solve the problem but maybe I could download on a fast day and read on a slow day.  Obviously I want the most up to date news.

I have a digital subscription. The New York Times comes as an app or a web page. I use the app because the app downloads the whole paper at once and I can read it offline. I read it on my iPad or my iPhone. You do have to be a little patient on a ship for all the articles to download. 

Edited by Charles4515

I try to read two digital editions of newspapers every day. On Equinox it mostly worked using the basic internet. On Summit it was so slow it took 10 minutes to switch to the next page. I had to resort to downloading the editions in pdf and read after the download was complete. It took one to two hours to download a single edition of the Boston Globe. 

I happened to look at my old tablet that had NYT and Wash Post apps on it.  I haven't touched them in years.  Both said something like "no longer working" (too old).  But I can still use the web browser.

16 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I hate news on a ship! It is one place I can almost avoid it.

To bend the topic around a bit, I was on a cruise during the 2016 Presidential election, not on Celebrity.  There was very little discussion of it on board (thank goodness).  We had local news stations live on TV, but I stayed away from that.  I also had Internet access, but I successfully avoided that until the morning after, and... let's just say that I was surprised by what happened. 🤪

I tried to schedule a trip on another cruise during the 2020 election, but you all know what happened to it.

It's a priority for me to schedule another cruise getaway for 2024, but I'm waiting for a better selection of itineraries and ships.  Not every cruise line has cruises available yet for that date.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, zitsky said:

I sometimes read the WSJ.  You download it?  You don’t read in a web browser?

Yes. I use their app. It’s very convenient. They even have a “Latest News” option which keeps the news current. you only have to download the paper once daily and you can bypass using your browser, which is dependent on continuous Internet connectivity.

We are sailing again on the Equinox Sept 26th. We really like that ship. A real plus was using Celebrity air to fly in a day early. Our roundtrip cost was less than $175!

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

I happened to look at my old tablet that had NYT and Wash Post apps on it.  I haven't touched them in years.  Both said something like "no longer working" (too old).  But I can still use the web browser.

It may simply mean you need to update you App.   Having said that some apps can't be updated for REALLY OLD devices.

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It may simply mean you need to update you App.   Having said that some apps can't be updated for REALLY OLD devices.

Yes. Both of those apps were replaced with completely new apps at different times. The Wshington Post a month or two ago and the New York Times a few years ago.It could be that the iPad is to old or simply mean going to the app store and downloading the new app 

On 6/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, zitsky said:

We all talk about how good or bad the internet is.  If I have the basic internet will I have trouble reading newspapers or magazines online?  I like to read the New York Times when I travel.  So I thought I might subscribe before I go.  It's mostly text but I'm guessing there are a good amount of photos that have to be downloaded.  I plan to take a tablet with me but I also do a lot of reading on my phone.

I guess it depends on the ship and how the e-paper is configured.  On the Summit, reading my local paper was a long chore.  It has never been the best site at home and the Summit's dial up speed internet made downloading each page a long ordeal.