Premium Beverage Pkg - refunds for shortages

flifish64

On 6/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, George C said:

In Luminae they ran out of decoy once and gave us Caymus 😁😁😁😢

I bet you didn't complain either, LOL 

On the Equinox last year some of the premium wines were not available but the Luminae sommelier brought us some marvelous wines not listed as being by the glass and poured our glasses and left the bottle for us to finish, she told us she was including the whole bottle in our premium package. On our 10 night cruise this happened about 3 times. I never complained either.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2022 at 2:43 PM, jelayne said:

We upgrade for the Martini Bar, World Class Bar, Baileys and the wines and champagne.  We have encountered some of our preferred wines & champagne not being available but have always had a good substitute.  We have done 5 cruises since the restart and have experienced shortages of various wines and liquors but we have never gone thirsty.

For my DW and I, we also upgrade for Martini Bar and World Bar (I could drink a pitcher of Ciroc Tropically Yours'). It's also nice for my DW's sparkling water habit.

15 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The 2 bottles of Evian and perrier per day covered my upgrade but I was still disappointed in the wine offerings. Love my big bold cabs especially with beef and the closest they had was Decoy but they ran out.  Once paid an extra $10 per glass for an upgrade but after that took the Elegance pinot noir. Wish they had some nice Aussie cabs but couldn't find any.  Looking at a 10 night November - December cruise prefer to sail on the Edge but may give the Enchanted Princess a try, all is dependent on pricing. 

Just bring 2 bottles from home. I love my California Cabernet and nothing on any Celebrity ship is really that special. Just rummage through the cellar and bring some of the good stuff. Even with the Premium drink package, we bring wine from home.

• Like 1

We noticed in MDR there was no wine menu. Never saw any bottles on tables or the bin with cabin numbers written on bottles of wine. We were asked once what wine we wanted. Got a glass and never was offered a refill.  If you wanted something to drink, it was often hard to get the attention of a server.  

On 6/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, cruisestitch said:

This is happening many places with many products.  There is no grape jelly in any grocery store in the tri-state area.  No Special K cereal.  And now this.  It’s not just wine that is in short supply

2535E776-3E1D-4414-AF94-95CEA0D2EA67.jpeg

The difference being that if you are in the grocery store and they don't have hot sauce, they won't make you pay for it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The difference being that if you are in the grocery store and they don't have hot sauce, they won't make you pay for it.

Speaking of hot sauce even my husband's favorite brand of Sriracha was in short supply but I finally hunted it down at a third grocery store.  Not planning on the AI for my next cruise. Its handy but not worth the hassle. 

On 6/13/2022 at 2:46 PM, terrydtx said:

On the Equinox last year some of the premium wines were not available but the Luminae sommelier brought us some marvelous wines not listed as being by the glass and poured our glasses and left the bottle for us to finish, she told us she was including the whole bottle in our premium package. On our 10 night cruise this happened about 3 times. I never complained either.

Terry, I would say that has been the case with The premium wine availability since the beginning of the premium drink package.  It has been happening for years.  I would say it is the same in all the cruise lines that I have cruised.  The wine list is never a list of guaranteed wines. Often the case in restaurants as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Terry, I would say that has been the case with The premium wine availability since the beginning of the premium drink package.  It has been happening for years.  I would say it is the same in all the cruise lines that I have cruised.  The wine list is never a list of guaranteed wines. Often the case in restaurants as well.

I was on a 10 night cruise on the Silhouette last November and did not have any issues getting premium wines.  They were not the same brand as pre covid but still very good.  Can't speak for the Edge sailing I was on in February as did not get the AI but during HH from 5 to 9 one of the bartenders was pouring me Decoy and I just topped up before dinner.  They seemed to have plenty available. My recent 11 night Hawaii cruise was quite different in that they kept running out of premium wines and offered basic substitutions which I turned down.  I'm done with AI and will be bringing on my own 2 bottle allotment. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I was on a 10 night cruise on the Silhouette last November and did not have any issues getting premium wines.  They were not the same brand as pre covid but still very good.  Can't speak for the Edge sailing I was on in February as did not get the AI but during HH from 5 to 9 one of the bartenders was pouring me Decoy and I just topped up before dinner.  They seemed to have plenty available. My recent 11 night Hawaii cruise was quite different in that they kept running out of premium wines and offered basic substitutions which I turned down.  I'm done with AI and will be bringing on my own 2 bottle allotment. 

We are doing several shore excursions in Italy and Croatia on our August Reflection cruise and they have notes that say 1 bottle of wine pp bought at wineries on a Celebrity excursions can be brought on the ship without a corkage fee. That may be our supply.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are doing several shore excursions in Italy and Croatia on our August Reflection cruise and they have notes that say 1 bottle of wine pp bought at wineries on a Celebrity excursions can be brought on the ship without a corkage fee. That may be our supply.

I have heard that in the Med they allow you to bring wines purchased in the various ports onboard. Many people purchase to take home. I love Tuscan wines. I'm going to Amsterdam  to visit son and family in August and have seen some fabulous wines in grocery stores many priced under 10€. 

21 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I have heard that in the Med they allow you to bring wines purchased in the various ports onboard. Many people purchase to take home. I love Tuscan wines. I'm going to Amsterdam  to visit son and family in August and have seen some fabulous wines in grocery stores many priced under 10€. 

In Italy we have found that restaurants do not mark their wines up   3 times retail or more like in the US. In 2018 at our favorite Rome Restaurant the most expensive Italian wine on their list, was an 8 year old Super Tuscan and it was about 60 Euros, a comparable wine in a fine US Italian Restaurant would be in the $200 a bottle range. We plan to have dinner there again in August before our Reflection cruise. BTW we totally enjoyed that 60 Euro Super Tuscan in 2018.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

In Italy we have found that restaurants do not mark their wines up   3 times retail or more like in the US. In 2018 at our favorite Rome Restaurant the most expensive Italian wine on their list, was an 8 year old Super Tuscan and it was about 60 Euros, a comparable wine in a fine US Italian Restaurant would be in the $200 a bottle range. We plan to have dinner there again in August before our Reflection cruise. BTW we totally enjoyed that 60 Euro Super Tuscan in 2018.

Tignanello for ~ $80 ???  Wow...

On 6/12/2022 at 4:58 PM, cangelmd said:

There was no Mer Soleil or Caymus on our cruise, and more to the point, no Cherry Pie, which is one of our default go tos. We didn’t go thirsty, we had acceptable wines, and by the end of the cruise when the bugs got worked out, excellent service, but flexibility is key.

Mer Soleil is my favorite wine while sailing. I asked for Mer Soleil at lunch day one on Millie this month in Luminae. I was told they changed distributor and no more Mer Soleil. Not sure if this is true or just the line I was given. I still got premium wine. The next evening the sommelier had found 3 bottles of Mer Soleil. Might bring 2 bottles of Mer Soleil on our next cruise in Sept.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We have found very good Brunello di Montalcino's in wine bars for under 30 Euros.

The best quality-to-price ratios are Tuscan reds, I think.  In particular Chianti (which has come a long way since the faux straw baskets of 40yrs ago) and Brunello.  You can get world-class wines for very reasonable prices.  Given the quality and the high quantity of many of these wines, I'm surprised X and other lines don't carry more in their cellars.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, drakes2 said:

I have not been on a Celebrity cruise, since my TA in October 202.  I will have to see, but it has common for Celebrity to offer substitution that were not from the Classic Package.  But of course that is always an option.

Nobody offered substitutions. Instead, they said not available or worse gave you a mystery drink.  Asked for Aperol and was served Compari.  Did the server hear incorrectly? Did the bartender not know what it was?  Did they think that I wouldn’t recognize the difference?  Aperol is orange. Compari is red.  One day at the pool bar, I asked for a margarita. Got a drink that didn’t look anything like it.  Asked bartender if it was a margarita. Shrugged his shoulders and just smiled.  Left it on the bar counter.  Got a can of coke. At least, you know what’s in the can.  
cruise lines know what food and drink is needed for a cruise.  Now and then, even with the best model, they can run out.  However, when they keep saying no to many requested things, it makes you wonder what’s happening.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Nobody offered substitutions. Instead, they said not available or worse gave you a mystery drink.  Asked for Aperol and was served Compari.  Did the server hear incorrectly? Did the bartender not know what it was?  Did they think that I wouldn’t recognize the difference?  Aperol is orange. Compari is red.  One day at the pool bar, I asked for a margarita. Got a drink that didn’t look anything like it.  Asked bartender if it was a margarita. Shrugged his shoulders and just smiled.  Left it on the bar counter.  Got a can of coke. At least, you know what’s in the can.  
cruise lines know what food and drink is needed for a cruise.  Now and then, even with the best model, they can run out.  However, when they keep saying no to many requested things, it makes you wonder what’s happening.  

We prefer to our drinking in the Retreat Lounge, at least we can see what is going into our drinks and if the bar tender is out of something he will go find it on the ship. Last year, I asked for Buffalo Trace Bourbon on the Equinox, the Retreat Lounge bartender told me he didn't think there was any on the ship. The next day to my surprise the lounge bar tender had a bottle of Buffalo Trace for me. Guess who got a nice cash tip at the end of the cruise? Its little thing like this that keep us on Celebrity booking the Retreat.

53 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I also love Aperol spritzers but found they don't taste the same as I make them at home and that's on all the ships.  Maybe its the quality of sparkling wine they use.  I'm wondering if they have a supply chain issue as I've been trying to purchase locally and they are out of stock of the large bottles.  They have the ready made individual ones but not cost effective.  

40 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We prefer to our drinking in the Retreat Lounge, at least we can see what is going into our drinks and if the bar tender is out of something he will go find it on the ship. Last year, I asked for Buffalo Trace Bourbon on the Equinox, the Retreat Lounge bartender told me he didn't think there was any on the ship. The next day to my surprise the lounge bar tender had a bottle of Buffalo Trace for me. Guess who got a nice cash tip at the end of the cruise? Its little thing like this that keep us on Celebrity booking the Retreat.

Off the Equinox in May. Not our experience in the retreat lounge. Champagne was not satisfactory.  Didn't ask by name, tried 4 tastes, 3 white and 1 rose wine, walked away empty handed. Hubby got a grey goose bloody mary. vodka was fine, bloody mary mix was disgusting. Out of 6 day cruise, was unable to enjoy any time in the retreat lounge due to unacceptable selections. Yes could have had snacks but would have been thirsty.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, flifish64 said:

Sorry to confuse everyone

we have not sailed yet just upgraded to the premium package for our August cruise on Summit

have been reading many negatives about the premium wine availability especially on Summit

i drink very little but enjoy a great glass of wine with my dinner which is what raised the question for me

Carol

I really don’t understand your problem. If you don’t drink much but occasionally like a premium wine, why would you even think of booking a Premium package?!? Get a Classic package. Order your preferred occasional upmarket super wine. If they have it, the extra charge over Classic $9 wine will be a few $. If they don’t have it, no harm, no extra cost to you.

Stan

On 6/18/2022 at 6:40 AM, terrydtx said:

We have found this same service not booking Retreat 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:46 PM, terrydtx said:

That’s because you are a reasonable person who has chosen to cruise with eyes wide open.  I don’t believe for one minute that the constant complainers about not being able to get the exact wine they want or missing a port or service being slower etc were/are not aware of what is going on in the world around us.  They chose to delude themselves into thinking it will be different for them.  They need to get a grip on reality already.

• Like 4

I think it'd be helpful to everyone involved if each night they'd just print up a plain ol' piece of paper for the bars and restaurants with TONIGHT'S available classic and premium wines... let me see what I can choose from and I'll make do.  But basically having none of them available, or guessing games about what is available when, is frustrating.  

Also, I mean come on, we cruised through Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Montenegro last week.  I am pretty sure they could find some decent wine there if push came to shove 🙂

• Like 1