The Daily for Sunday 06/12/2022

richwmn

Today is National Children's Day, Little League Girls Baseball Day, and Magic Day

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Serabi
Drink of the Day - Candy Apple Margarita
wine of the Day - Ridgecrest 2020 Estate Dry Riesling (Ribbon Ridge)
Destination of the Day - Longyearbyen, Norway

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06/13

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska eta 06/13

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Oslo, Norway

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy 13:00 -

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington - 16:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0612World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It rained overnight, I hope it clears up soon.

My parents always said that everyday is Children's Day.  It's great for all children to play baseball.

Not sure I agree with the quote.

I don't know what the meal is, I'll wait until I see the recipe before I decide.  I'm putting a beef roast in the crock pot for our dinner tonight.

The drink sounds tasty, hope the wine is good too.

Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of today's port.  Maybe someday we'll get there.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich, and Graham for Father David's offering.  Another 3 days to be truly celebrated.  I'm not quite sure I'm really prepared to die but know it will happen sometime.  I've been to Longyearbyen on the Elegant Explorer in 2011.  No idea what the menu is.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup, Classic Caesar Salad and Broiled New York Strip Loin as served on MS Prinsendam June 12, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
 Cruising-along DD with covid
Decline for Atexsix DD and Marshhawk friend
StLouisCruisers with covid across the hall
From the rotation:
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guests
Happy Birthday Marshhawk DH
Bon Voyage  Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)–Negative now in Ft. Lauderdale
1 day for VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
2 days for Norseh2o I](Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
4 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother and sister
Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice). Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It is a cool and cloudy 58°F.

We had a nice church service this morning on Trinity Sunday.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for all the list's.

Interesting quote.

Not sure about today's food but the drink sounds nice.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who are unwell.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 24

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂

Three cheers for the Westerdam! The last BHB to return to service!

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning after an evening of rain. Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Off to the gym, then a fairly routine Sunday. 

Another possible career choice for Bindi….

578E7F3E-C99B-4479-90F3-DDE3FB155832.jpeg.9479323a62011f70de3a6c7b0c21a177.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Heartgrove Jack praying for your Sister and brother and your entire family.  May you all find peace and comfort. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ridgecrest 2020 Estate Dry Riesling

This wine has excellent ratings from wine experts and consumers alike.  This dry Riesling sounds interesting. I would want to taste first, since some folks idea of dry is very different from mine. A bit elusive, I found a couple online distributors with prices starting at $19.95.

Distributor notes

Sometimes forgotten as we fawn over the Pinot Noirs of the Willamette Valley is how well the Riesling grape does in this region. They achieve that magical balance of fruit, aromatics, and racy acidity that distinguishes their German and Austrian counterparts, as is gracefully demonstrated by this high-wire beauty from Ridgecrest. This is a relatively new label from Harry Peterson-Nedry of Chehalem (who, incidentally, hand-draws the labels) and his daughter, Wynne, who is the winemaker. Although the Ribbon Ridge AVA wasn’t made “official” until 2005, Peterson-Nedry saw its potential way back in the early 1980s, when he planted his first vineyard there. The AVA covers a “spur of ocean sediment uplift” at the northwest edge of the Chehalem Mountains. There are about 500 acres of vineyards in total planted on the ridge, which sits within the larger Chehalem Mountains appellation. The soils are dominated by ancient marine sediments (clay/sandstone/loam). This is food-friendly, razor-sharp Riesling with lots of stone fruit and wet-stone notes. Easily one of the best domestic Rieslings we’ve ever had!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

WOOHOO for all BHBs with guests!!! 🎊🥳🎉

A salute to all children and little league teams.

I will wait for Debbie before I decide on the meal.

Thank you for the birthday wishes to my son yesterday. 

It is a sunny morning, but I believe we are in for more afternoon/evening thunderstorms for the third day in a row. Grateful to be able to enjoy the sun in the morning and afternoon, but also grateful for the rain.

Ann, @marshhawk, happy birthday to DH. 🍩🎂🧁

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, glad you tested negative and have remained safe. Praying that will continue.

@MISTER 67 Bon Voyage! 

Wishing each of you a spectacular Sunday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone from the Oosterdam at sea today in the Adriatic. We are on our way to Trieste early tomorrow morning. We will be disembarking and there will be passengers embarking and there will be some staying on. 

Sushi and salad for lunch today!  But we are really missing the MDR and Pinnacle Grill for lunch on sea days. 

999464D6-E70D-4D2A-BD3D-17693483AAB0.thumb.jpeg.fc8a116da821699c1b0300a94c50f658.jpeg

This morning was “Ask the Captain” and I totally forgot. I was packing and suddenly realized how late it was, so I rushed to the Main Stage. Turns out that the vessel that sent out the May Day the other day was a yacht with about 18 refugees (not sure from where).  Someone asked about the safety of the crew sent over in the zodiac (he called it something else, like a fast rescue boat, but it I don’t remember).  He said he told them to return immediately if they didn’t feel safe. Very interesting. 

Craig attainted his 4* status yesterday. I hadn’t realized that it would happen during this cruise. 

In just a bit we are going to the wine tasting. Should be fun. But Craig still has a horrible cough and fatigue lingering and no desire to taste wine. But we are trying to do as much as we possibly can together after missing so much. We also booked a future cruise on board for April 2023, but I’m not ready to share that yet. We have too much to think about and figure out. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! As every Sunday church services are the priority. That Texas heat wave is slowly creeping our way so temps are on the increase and heat indexes may get in the 100’s this week!

Have been to today’s port of call on the Prisendam. Beautiful but could not imagine living there.

Time to finish coffee and get ready. Thanks for the reports

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone.

It is looking a bit dreary outside this morning.  I'm hoping the rain will hold off long enough for me to get a walk in as the pool is not open today.  We are getting really excited.  5 weeks from today we will board the Rotterdam in Amsterdam.  This is the replacement for our cancelled June 2020 cruise and it has been a long time waiting.  

Serabi Kuah goes by many names including serabi kinca, kue serabi and srabi. These Indonesian pancakes will often be found at morning markets throughout Indonesia, or cooked up at street stalls for an afternoon snack.

The serabi, or pancakes, are usually made with a base of flour, rice flour and coconut milk. While the iconic green with pandan extract is a popular choice, you can also get white plain coconut based serabi as well.  This first recipe looks pretty easy and also gives substitutions for some hard to find ingredients.  https://www.wandercooks.com/serabi-kuah/

1157262536_serabi1.thumb.jpg.16d83c067e4874d439415155af1c5dc4.jpg

The green color comes from the pandan flavoring.  If you can't find that you can leave it out or sub with vanilla essence and green food coloring.  If you can't get the pandan and don't use the food coloring, you will have little pancakes that look like the following. https://soyummyrecipes.co.uk/serabi-kuah-indonesian-pancakes/

1835886215_serabi2.thumb.jpg.aa82f3ca20bc0ce8536c2ab12d23e395.jpg

This next one shows an interesting serving idea and also has good information about pandan leaves and flavoring.   https://mayuris-jikoni.com/2020/11/02/kue-serabi-indonesian-pancakes-with-coconut/

1811309901_serabi3.jpg.7cab8542ef6750a28bd0fc6e19d92030.jpg

I'm thinking this treat is laden with sugar.  In the next option I can see the sugar in the sauce.  http://www.indonesiancooking101.com/catalog/?recipe_name=Kue Serabi (Indonesian Pancakes with Coconut and Palm Sugar Syrup)

1924483689_serabi4.jpg.3562dfd7cd7878b2f1d6f96acd34dc3c.jpg

Prayers for all in need, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and the Daily members struggling with challenges.  Warm thoughts and virtual hugs for @Heartgrove for a most difficult time.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good Sunday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Mild and partly cloudy here today, perfect for some pre cruise planning.  Great collection of days for kids.  I’ve never really been interested in magic as an adult although I didn’t enjoy the Harry Potter series.  I like the quote but I don’t think that one size fits all in that instance.  Not sure what the meal suggestion is so I’ll wait for decide.  I’ll pass on the drink but I think the wine might be nice. I look forward to seeing the photos of a port that I haven’t been to.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jayhawk66 said:

Thanks for the daily! Another hot and humid day in Florida! Headed for the NC mountains and cooler temps tomorrow!

Enjoy your time in the mountains.

Roy

• Like 17

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Last night was a good one for sleeping, at least until 3 when Mona demanded some attention.  Yesterday after running errands I pulled a bunch of weeds and finished putting down the mulch we had on hand.  Weeds are a never ending battle.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and based on @dfish recipes and pictures I’d give it a try if offered.  Today’s menu is a pork roast which is marinating.  If Walgreens calls with River’s prescription that will be my adventure for the day.  Late Friday I did receive our cabin assignments for our Zaandam cruises.  I’m considering calling the upsell department for an upgrade.  I hope that everyone has a good Sunday.

• Like 27

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Great collection of days, although I dont really care for magic. Strange quote. Have not been to Norway but it is back on the list.  It was on our cancelled 2020 trip. 

Very happy to see all the ships back in service.  Just  wish this virus would go away. Seems I know more people with it now then during the pandemic.  

@Heartgrove You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this very difficult time.  

Played golf yesterday. Got it all in before the rains came in. The sirens went off as we were finishing up on the 18th. Hurried to my car and drove home. THe rain came down heavy just as I was entering the driveway.  

DD and I are going in the pool this AM before the storms start again.  Summer in Florida!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2