Virgin cruises Adult only cruise commercial

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

As far as I know, it is not illegal to spank your own child as long as it does not cross the line into actual abuse.  I was never abused by my parents, and there were no permanent marks, but my butt would hurt enough after a spanking that just the threat of more punishment had me straighten up right away.

Depends on the country. Has been illegal in my country the last 20-25 years - longer in other countries. 
It's also not legal to spank your employees anymore 😞

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The tacky ad has us talking about it which means it's a highly effective ad. Come on though, it's also humorous you must admit.

It’s a great ad that gets the point across, no doubt. 

On 6/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

I wish folks who don't want children onboard a family cruise line will consider taking a different CruiseLine/ or vacation and stop complaining about kids .  If you don't want kids onboard, don't take a line that caters to families. And, don't sail over summer or a major US holiday and complain even louder.  We've taken numerous cruises (many in the summer or over holidays) and can honestly say we've never been bothered by kids on board.   Have  we seen kids run in the hallway or get in the elevator before we've had a chance to get off, of course,  but who cares?   We recently sailed Easter week on Harmany with 1500 kids.  NO ISSUES.

Lighten up

We want parents to simply keep control of the rugrats and not let them act like heathens. I'm sure you're the type whose kids act like fools yet you sit there oblivious with your utter lack of any parenting skills readily apparent to everyone around you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allie3490 said:

Tell me you're a boomer without telling me you're a boomer...

if you have deep-seated issues with boomers you might want to find another playground. I am a few years off that huge swath of humanity, but they are a pretty good group of folks and despite suggestions to the contrary they come in every possible variety in their thinking and attitudes  🥳

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rudeney said:

What?  Like it was ever legal?  😮

Naturally. Go a few hundred years back, and it was the obligation of the head of the household to discipline his employees as needed. Also his wife.

Right to hit domestic servants existed in Denmark until 1921 (if I'm reading wiki correctly - I'm a bit shocked).

We're past that stage now. Violence is not seen as an acceptable form of communication any more.

Apart from with children in some countries still.

In my opinion, it is a good ad—it gets the point across with humor.  You know what they are advertising.  Many commercials miss that mark.

There is a market for what they are selling.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, allie3490 said:

Tell me you're a boomer without telling me you're a boomer...

LOL Since when is being a boomer a negative?  

Some parents forget they aren't raising kids, they are raising adults.  The behavior doesn't suddenly change when a kid ages up to an adult.

• Like 6

On 6/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

I wish folks who don't want children onboard a family cruise line will consider taking a different CruiseLine/ or vacation and stop complaining about kids .  If you don't want kids onboard, don't take a line that caters to families. And, don't sail over summer or a major US holiday and complain even louder.  We've taken numerous cruises (many in the summer or over holidays) and can honestly say we've never been bothered by kids on board.   Have  we seen kids run in the hallway or get in the elevator before we've had a chance to get off, of course,  but who cares?   We recently sailed Easter week on Harmany with 1500 kids.  NO ISSUES.

Lighten up

LOL. Then there wouldn't be a Cruise Critic!! LOL

• Haha 1

People have asked on-line if there are feral people living in National Parks.  

On CC, posters wonder if there are feral children in Central Park. 

I’ll leave that point for you all to ponder. (above not written in sarcasm font but could be🤷‍♂️)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ditmar2007 said:

Naturally. Go a few hundred years back, and it was the obligation of the head of the household to discipline his employees as needed. Also his wife.

Right to hit domestic servants existed in Denmark until 1921 (if I'm reading wiki correctly - I'm a bit shocked).

We're past that stage now. Violence is not seen as an acceptable form of communication any more.

Apart from with children in some countries still.

1921 - wow!  Regardless, I still believe in corporal punishment for children - bot by parents and school officials.  I received my fair share of spankings at home and paddlings in school.  The thing is, it wasn't so much about the physical pain.  I was never hit hard enough to be injured, and the rowdy things my friends an I did playing hurt worse.  The real deterrent that corporal punishment has the threat and dread of it happening when I knew I was caught.  I generally took time, often hours, between being caught doing something paddle-worthy and being paddled.  That was time well spent reconsidering if what I had done was worth it or not.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The tacky ad has us talking about it which means it's a highly effective ad. Come on though, it's also humorous you must admit.

Not my kind of humour. It was mocking those who are discriminated against.

Say contiki (or U cruises when they started) ran an ad about their tours, and used a bunch of seniors whining they couldn't join I wouldn't find it funny either.

As for being talked about, targeting a specific group is always likely to do that. Again, same as if those youth companies above made a point about oldies, would also get talked about. In advertising terms that's not hard.

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

1921 - wow!  Regardless, I still believe in corporal punishment for children - bot by parents and school officials.  I received my fair share of spankings at home and paddlings in school.  The thing is, it wasn't so much about the physical pain.  I was never hit hard enough to be injured, and the rowdy things my friends an I did playing hurt worse.  The real deterrent that corporal punishment has the threat and dread of it happening when I knew I was caught.  I generally took time, often hours, between being caught doing something paddle-worthy and being paddled.  That was time well spent reconsidering if what I had done was worth it or not.  

Where do you stop? 12? 16? 18? They day after they turn 18? And what about the 17y11.5mo old male who's a lot stronger than you? What if he hits back? Wouldn't that be considered self defense? Two weeks later it would. 

I prefer that my kids developed morality and responsibility instead of fear. 

They are 29 and 24 and I'm happy with how they turned out.

FYI: Here corporal punishment was illegal in schools from 1967 and in homes from 1997 (I think - my daughter was very well aware of it and she's born in 1992)

FYI2: If you go to Denmark and spank your kid in public it probably will be commented on - if you are lucky. IT'S JUST NOT DONE AND IT'S ILLEGAL! Even one spank in the bottom. 

Apparenly it is also illegal in the following European countries:
Sweden
Finland
Norway
Austria
Cypern
Latvia
Croatia
Bulgaria
Germany
Island
Rumania
Ukraine
Hungary
Greece
The Netherlands
Portugal
Spain
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Albania
Poland

Edited by ditmar2007

My kids, now 37 & 32, received more than 1 rap on their coolies growing up.   It was not corporal punishment just an attention getter.  I didn’t hurt them.  Just a firm hand on the fleshy part of their butts.  More often than not, using their full given name was enough but when it wasnt, a quick rap stopped the behavior.  Both are now fully functional adults.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Not my kind of humour. It was mocking those who are discriminated against.

How was it mocking the children?  If anything, it was speaking highly of them and their vocabulary.  How many kids know the definition of "existential dread"?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ditmar2007 said:

Where do you stop? 12? 16? 18? They day after they turn 18? And what about the 17y11.5mo old male who's a lot stronger than you? What if he hits back? Wouldn't that be considered self defense? Two weeks later it would. 

I prefer that my kids developed morality and responsibility instead of fear. 

As SCOTUS justice Potter Stewart said, "I'll know it when I see it."  For mine, maybe 6 or 7.  I don't remember when we stopped using spankings as punishment, and in fact there were few spankings anyhow.  I really don't recall the last spanking I got from my parents, but I know I was paddled in the 7th or 8th grade because it was meted out by the boy's coach.  He was a small guy and didn't hit hard.  All of us kids used to joke about his soft paddlings and how it was not a deterrent to our behavior.  

We have friends who raised their children not just without corporal punishment, but without raised voices, "time out" or taking anything away from the child as punishment.  All they did was "reason" with them and make them apologize and "think about their actions".  Their oldest son was really not a problem and rarely did anything bad or disrespectful.  The younger child was a total hellion.  He would hit, bite, and punch people (us adults included), throw things, break things, and throw tantrums.  It got so bad, we stopped socializing with them when that child was going to be included.  He eventually grew out of as a pre-teen, but before that, they had constant battles with his behavior at school, church, sports teams, etc.  It simply did not work

I don't believe every type of punishment is appropriate for every child, but I believe whatever that is, it should be left up to the parent and not the government to decide.  But that does not mean a parent who decides not to mete out punishment should be allowed to have that misbehaving child inflict their tantrums and violence on others.  When a child's unruly behavior begins to adversely people in public setting (e.g. restaurant, playground, community pool), whoever is in charge of that facility needs to step in and eject the parent and child.  

Having an all adult cruise line is not harming any yutes or their parents…there are lots of other opportunities for them to cruise.  

Don’t like it?  Sail with someone else.

It sounds appealing to us as something to try.  We may or may not like it more than other lines.  

• Like 4

Marketing ploy worked in my family!  But not in my favor--Im the grandmother that will keep the kids while my daughter and husband go on the glorious "child free" trip. Just kidding- I love spending time with the babies and my daughter deserves a peaceful trip.