My return to Cunard, QM2, July 1-8, 2022

rafinmd

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

rafinmd was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I'm in final preparation stage with several things already done

My big bag sitting in Luggage Forward's Red Hook office.

E -ticket, Cunard Health Questionnaire, and ArriveCan Code

Proctored Covid test printout

Amtrak Pre-travel health check completed

And advance checkin to my hotel

I hope to be on the road early, on my train before 10, and in New York before noon.

This will be my first time on Cunard since I was thrown off QM2 in Perth 2+ years ago and I hope everything is ready.

The itinerary:

Embark July 1

Bar Harbor July 3

Boston July 4

Halifax July 6

Back home July 8.

In addition to this thread I'll have daily updates on my companion blog:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/

and will also try to publish Daily Programmes to the blog.

Getting close

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Roy,

Happy to read you are well and on your way.

Looking forward to chatting with you onboard the QM2.

Have enjoyed your previous posts.

Enjoy.

8 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

I am so excited for you. Thanks for letting me “tag along”. 

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

ArriveCan

I'm so happy you will be back on QM2 again. We did our first QM2 trip since that fateful day in Perth over 2 years ago last month, and it was really great. Some things have changed, but there is still nothing to beat being back on Queen Mary 2 again 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd Roy - I am traveling in your pocket because I really wanted to do this cruise this year rather than next year. I will be baby-sitting instead, but hope to watch the concert and fireworks on TV. I also want a report on the luggage forwarding as I plan to use it in December for our Western TA. Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

I'm excited for you!

Did you find luggage forward smooth to work with? We're considering it, but are a bit worried during these days of uncertain plane travel.

Are you sure you're thinking of Luggage Forward?  This is the service that picks up my bag at home and delivers it to the ship.  They mostly use either UPS or Fedex ground for the distance part of the journey.

Roy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Are you sure you're thinking of Luggage Forward?  This is the service that picks up my bag at home and delivers it to the ship.  They mostly use either UPS or Fedex ground for the distance part of the journey.

Roy

I believe so. We are considering using a luggage service to lighten our load once off the ship and travelling on. Not to transport myself. 😁

I was worried in case they use air travel to transport the items.

14 hours ago, safarigal said:

I'm so happy you will be back on QM2 again. We did our first QM2 trip since that fateful day in Perth over 2 years ago last month, and it was really great. Some things have changed, but there is still nothing to beat being back on Queen Mary 2 again 🙂

Yeah sad to say some of the people we used to know onboard won't be there anymore. I suspect they have moved on with life which is a real pity.

• Like 2

So nice to 'see' you again--and on QM2. I was due to board QM2 shortly after you wee 'thrown off' and was following you and safari girl. I'm also about to embark--but on QE, boarding in Vancouver--I am calling it my 'Getting there without getting 'it''--hoping to avoid Covid enroute. And flying seems rather fraught at this point. Wishing you a wonderful time on QM2--will be following.

Roy,

I am looking forward to this. We had a Cunard trip booked for May this year, but had to cancel due to a trip postponed from 2020 actually going to happen this year. We are probably going to do Cunard in 2024 and I have always liked your honest and balanced commentary. 

Hi there, greetings from a newbie to posting on this forum.

I look forward to reading your review of this cruise and in particular about the Bar Harbour stop. The reason being  sixteen years ago we did a NYC / Quebec round trip on the QM2…’Splendours of the Fall’ cruise they called it. The weather was cold but good except for an Atlantic storm on reaching Bar Harbour and the local Pilot sent us on our way! So am hoping you can fill in the gap, so to speak. 😀

Day 0, Thursday, June 30, 2022, New York, New York(Part 1)

I left my house just before 8AM for the half hour drive to Amtrak’s BWI rail station. I was a bit uneasy about the timing with the start of the US Independence Day weekend but there were no traffic issues, the station and parking garage had plenty of space, and the longest delay I had see on the train status board was about 15 minutes.

My 9:43AM train left precisely on time.  There was a bit of an issue with my 1A seat as it had no tray table but when the Conductor took my ticket he moved me to one where it was easier to work.   

We pulled into New York precisely as I expected at 12:40. Since my last time here the official station has moved from the original station beneath Madison Square Garden to a space below the the old post office.  When we were pulling into the station, the conductor indicated that if we walked backwards from the train we would enter the new station but if we walked forwards it would be the original.  Since I was headed for 8th Avenue I walked forwards.   Unfortunately it wasn’t actually the original station but just tunnels that ended at the Long Island Railroad and Subway.

That's where things took a turn for the worse.  My hotel is Marriott’s Renaissance Times Square, near 8th Avenue and 48th Street.  My directions were to go north 2 stations on the subway and then walk back 2 blocks.  Unforturnately, I ended upon an express train that didn’t stop until about 75th street.  Several flights of stairs later (with about 25 pounds on my back) I emerged at the correction and while the walk to the hotel was short it took a toll in the heat near 90 degrees.

There was a room ready when I checked into the hotel.  I was pretty well drained by the travel and ventured only as far as McDonalds for a quick lunch.

rtsq603.jpg

lunch630.jpg
Roy

• Like 9