Musings- currently on Crown Princess( Alaska)

sjde

Musings on our Crown Alaska cruise July 2-9. 

I heard there are about 1900 passengers  onboard.  I noticed 3rd to last day one side of Aloha deck was closed off ( door was shut into hallway) as I was walking down the back stairs- quarantine I’m guessing. 

Either my palate has changed or the food quality has gone downhill in the 11 years since I’ve been on a Princess cruise,  I think it’s the latter.  Last time there were many,  many things I thought were fantastic and this time I’d say good or just OK . The onion soup was still a standout. And the gravlax/ smoked salmon and the  James Beard French toast. 

I was disappointed there was no Alfredos pizza on the Crown-- just Slice. And no gelato or hard- serve counter, just soft serve ice cream. And no milk shakes. 

I ordered chocolate chip cookies from room service and there was surprisingly no option to get milk with them. 

We all liked the Meiomi Pinot Noir- red and white wine drinkers alike. 

There is tons of storage in our stateroom ( we were upgraded to a mini suite ), but not enough outlets . Two by the bed but so close together you couldn’t  put big plugs in there together,  and if you have a CPAP machine ( or two! ) it makes it hard to charge things overnight.  One in the bathroom that said for shavers only and two hidden behind the two TVs.

There weren’t enough bathrooms on the ship in the main areas,  even by the dining rooms. Not well labeled , so not easy to find. 

The beds are very comfortable, and seem larger than a queen. 

We are enjoying all the trivia and the marriage show and naturalist talks. 

Since we had a group of 11 we usually had a dinner reservation at DaVinci but one night we were off the ship and came back later and so had to eat at Boticelli for Anytime dining ; vibration was so bad that three or four in our party were getting headaches.

Sometimes in our room it bothered me too, if sitting and reading . We were about 10 cabins in from the back on the 9th (Dolphin ) deck. 

A 50 minute deep tissue massage was $179 though I got 10 % off when I booked. An 18% gratuity is added.
Afterward be prepared for the hard sell to buy products. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There have never been a lot of outlets and being an older ship the Crown would have even less than a new ship built after all the tech items rolling out. We always bring along a device that allows us to charge 5 devices at a time and an extension cord without a surge protector for the CPAP

Like land based restaurants at least where we live I believe the ships are still having issues with supplies.  I have learned to modify the items on the dining room menus that I don't care for, sweet potatoes, succotash, and risotto for instance and have been happy with the results.  As you say the French Onion soup is outstanding and so is their Fettucine.    I've only ordered gelato nightly in the dining room hoping that can be done on the Crown.

Washrooms can be found easily by using the app or the screens by the elevators and have done that multiple times on a new to us ship.

2 out of 3 upcoming cruises on the Crown we were able to book a table for 2 in DaVinci at our preferred time so took what we could get in Botticelli and will try and change either before we sail or onboard. 

Hope you enjoyed the ports Alaska is beautiful we loved it last year and I am actually on 2 different ships in August with slightly different itineraries and looking forward to both.

35 minutes ago, sjde said:
Musings on our Crown Alaska cruise July 2-9. 

I heard there are about 1900 passengers  onboard.  I noticed 3rd to last day one side of Aloha deck was closed off ( door was shut into hallway) as I was walking down the back stairs- quarantine I’m guessing. 

Either my palate has changed or the food quality has gone downhill in the 11 years since I’ve been on a Princess cruise,  I think it’s the latter.  Last time there were many,  many things I thought were fantastic and this time I’d say good or just OK . The onion soup was still a standout. And the gravlax/ smoked salmon and the  James Beard French toast. 

I was disappointed there was no Alfredos pizza on the Crown-- just Slice. And no gelato or hard- serve counter, just soft serve ice cream. And no milk shakes. 

I ordered chocolate chip cookies from room service and there was surprisingly no option to get milk with them. 

We all liked the Meiomi Pinot Noir- red and white wine drinkers alike. 

There is tons of storage in our stateroom ( we were upgraded to a mini suite ), but not enough outlets . Two by the bed but so close together you couldn’t  put big plugs in there together,  and if you have a CPAP machine ( or two! ) it makes it hard to charge things overnight.  One in the bathroom that said for shavers only and two hidden behind the two TVs.

There weren’t enough bathrooms on the ship in the main areas,  even by the dining rooms. Not well labeled , so not easy to find. 

The beds are very comfortable, and seem larger than a queen. 

We are enjoying all the trivia and the marriage show and naturalist talks. 

Since we had a group of 11 we usually had a dinner reservation at DaVinci but one night we were off the ship and came back later and so had to eat at Boticelli for Anytime dining ; vibration was so bad that three or four in our party were getting headaches.

Sometimes in our room it bothered me too, if sitting and reading . We were about 10 cabins in from the back on the 9th (Dolphin ) deck. 

A 50 minute deep tissue massage was $179 though I got 10 % off when I booked. An 18% gratuity is added.
Afterward be prepared for the hard sell to buy products. 

The desk area always has outlets too, we always book mini suites. 

40 minutes ago, sjde said:
had to eat at Boticelli for Anytime dining ; vibration was so bad that three or four in our party were getting headaches.  Sometimes in our room it bothered me too, if sitting and reading . We were about 10 cabins in from the back on the 9th (Dolphin ) deck. 

Our first Princess cruise was on Crown many years ago and we noticed significant vibration in the aft areas, even after being assured by many (including frequent posters here) that we would never hear/feel it.  Still unsure if it was our imagination, on our last night we had dinner in Sabatini's which as you know is all the way aft on Crown.  There was no mistaking the intense vibration in our water glasses.  They looked like a scene from Jurassic Park where they show a shaking glass of liquid to foreshadow some huge dinosaur approaching.  After that cruise my wife has forbidden me from ever booking an aft-facing cabin.   

2017 was last time I was on Crown.  Have been on it a few times.  I always felt when I was in the back in Club Fusion that there was a lot of vibration.  never ate in the rear dining room.

Crown used to have gelato at the International Cafe (for a charge).  is that gone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Our first Princess cruise was on Crown many years ago and we noticed significant vibration in the aft areas, even after being assured by many (including frequent posters here) that we would never hear/feel it.  Still unsure if it was our imagination, on our last night we had dinner in Sabatini's which as you know is all the way aft on Crown.  There was no mistaking the intense vibration in our water glasses.  They looked like a scene from Jurassic Park where they show a shaking glass of liquid to foreshadow some huge dinosaur approaching.  After that cruise my wife has forbidden me from ever booking an aft-facing cabin.   

@JimmyVWinea question for you. Have you ever switched out the mini bar setup for a bottle of wine?  We haven’t, but my want to do that on one of our short b2b’s. 
Do you have a choice or is it the really cheap wine?  TIA

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

@JimmyVWinea question for you. Have you ever switched out the mini bar setup for a bottle of wine?  We haven’t, but my want to do that on one of our short b2b’s. 

Have not tried.  My assumption is that whatever wine they would agree to provide would find the drain. 

3 hours ago, Riley_Mon said:

I was expecting an Alfredo's as well

Based on reading I just assumed all Princess ships had one, and while slice was very popular and the line moved fast on our cruise, it was just meh pizza.

Did you ever look at the deck plans ?  Many Princess ships do not have a sit down pizza venue although a few use Sabatini’s in the afternoon on some days

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

@Riley_Mon Alfredo's is mostly on Royal class ships.  Grand Princess has an Alfredo's with a smaller menu.  There is at least one other ship that has the pizza oven in Sabatini's so has it at lunch.  Not sure what ship that is.

Sapphire Princess has Alfredo's also.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Did you ever look at the deck plans ?  Many Princess ships do not have a sit down pizza venue although a few use Sabatini’s in the afternoon on some days

no, mostly from just watching review videos from youtube.

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I did on one of my b2b cruises. I called room service the last day of the first leg. They gave me a choice of several from their menu up to a certain price level. I'm sorry I don't remember what that was.

9 hours ago, geoherb said:

I did on one of my b2b cruises. I called room service the last day of the first leg. They gave me a choice of several from their menu up to a certain price level. I'm sorry I don't remember what that was.

Thank you. That’s very helpful.

28 minutes ago, sjde said:

Has this site changed where you have to sign in EVERY time you get a notification now and click on Go to Post, or is it just me?

I have discovered that it "loses" your credentials after a certain amount of time...but for me this is NOT every time.  Could very well be browser dependent.

• Like 1

I have been using only one device for a week and it’s happening every time now. Very frustrating.  
We always ask for cream but I don’t think we were getting it. The coffee didn’t lighten as much or taste as good. Maybe we should’ve repeated and asked for “real” cream? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sjde said:

I have been using only one device for a week and it’s happening every time now. Very frustrating.  
We always ask for cream but I don’t think we were getting it. The coffee didn’t lighten as much or taste as good. Maybe we should’ve repeated and asked for “real” cream? 

On one of our cruises a few years ago, it was an evening "game" in the main dining room---what would come for the coffee? DH and another traveling companion would always ask for "real cream" for their coffee. Sometimes it was real, sometimes it was not..... 

😆

Edited by dreaminofcruisin

On 7/8/2022 at 1:08 PM, PacnGoNow said:

I've done it.  Room service should let you pick a bottle of wine that is $40 or less from the room service list.  We can usually find something but then we don't have expensive tastes.  Won't tolerate swill such as the Club Class "wine" either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I've done it.  Room service should let you pick a bottle of wine that is $40 or less from the room service list.  We can usually find something but then we don't have expensive tastes.  Won't tolerate swill such as the Club Class "wine" either.

Thank you so much!  I knew someone would know this.  Very helpful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sjde said:

I have a feeling the “cream” they pour for you in your coffee may be milk.  Anyone else notice this? 

Assuming you are on the Crown, it's cream.  Perhaps that's why it may have tasted funny.  While they are in Alaska they do have half and half, you have to ask for half and half.  If you are else where on the planet, no half and half. It's an American thing to ask for cream when we mean half and half.

• Like 1