EMED and NAVICA

teacherman

We have some of the EMED monitored tests.  We have had them as a "back up" in case we cannot get a test done at CVS.  I now think we may have to use them this week.  Do we just go onto the EMED site and establish an account to take the test and get the result?  Do we each have to have our own account or can we use the same account?  Do we also have to establish a NAVICA account?  What is the difference between these two?  I looked at the "Begin Test" and it said something about NAVICA.  Also, do they send us the results that we can print out for Celebrity?  Any info is welcome.  I have looked at the videos, but am getting a little paranoid right now.  We cruise on the 16th.  Thank you for any info/advice.

You need an emed account to take the test and have the results emailed to you. You can print the pdf that is attached to the email. You may also want a Navica account to keep a history of your tests and have the results not just in an email, but also automatically stored in the Navica mobile app. I would recommend doing so.

• Like 1

I'd recommend doing the account setup stuff now regardless of when you are planning on taking the test.

Just go to to the emed.com site and proceed with take test.  Don't worry you can get out before the actual connection to the proctor is requested.

I'd suggest going through the point where it checks your devices speaker/microphone/camera etc.  After that there will be a button to "Start Test".   At that time you can just get out and you will have everything setup for when you actually want to connect to a proctor and take the test.

Like others have said you don't need a Navica account as the test report will be emailed to the emed account email, however having the Navica account would retain your testing history.

• Like 1

I think you need to make a Navica account, but I honestly don't recall.  You do not need the Navica app, though it's handy just in case.  In any case, creating the account is fairly quick and easy.

Just so you know, you likely will get two emails after you've completed the test and had your results reviewed online, assuming you create a Navica account.  One will be from Navica letting you know your results are available.  The other will be from eMed, and that one has a nice, printable PDF with your results.  That PDF will be password protected, and the password is the test subject's birthday in MMDDYYYY format.  The information about the password protection is in the email, but it seems that a bunch of us miss that (probably so anxious to open that PDF).

Don't fret about doing the test.  It's actually fairly easy.  The trickiest part may be understanding the proctor, as their accents can get pretty thick, but they are good at what they are doing.  The whole thing typically takes under 30 minutes (although may right about 30 minutes or a little more if you haven't already created the accounts).

• Like 1

All you need is an eMed account….each person needs their own. You do not need the Navica app. Not even sure why it exists, as it made things so much more confusing for us, especially when it didn’t even work. Create an eMed account, start test, and you are good to go. It’s so easy. We have done it multiple times now. 

I think everything said above is correct, except that I have read here on other threads that you can set up a single account to contain more than one family member.  We had already set up separate accounts before hearing of this, so I have never actually checked on that.  But if you are setting up an account now, you could look into that.

Tom & Judy

21 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

You do not need the Navica app. Not even sure why it exists, as it made things so much more confusing for us, especially when it didn’t even work.

Confusing for sure but it worked for us. When I launched my test directly at emed.com, it asked if I wanted to share results with Navica and let me enter my Navica account credentials. When the test was complete, I got my emailed results from emed and electronically through the Navica app.

5 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Confusing for sure but it worked for us. When I launched my test directly at emed.com, it asked if I wanted to share results with Navica and let me enter my Navica account credentials. When the test was complete, I got my emailed results from emed and electronically through the Navica app.

eMed emailed us our results, so no need for Navica. We never even saw anything asking if we wanted to share the results with them 🤷🏻‍♀️

21 minutes ago, TFree said:

I think everything said above is correct, except that I have read here on other threads that you can set up a single account to contain more than one family member.  We had already set up separate accounts before hearing of this, so I have never actually checked on that.  But if you are setting up an account now, you could look into that.

Tom & Judy

I had a lengthy conversation with someone from eMed before we did this test for the first time. They told me that each person had to have their own account so my husband set up his own.

We bought our test last November in case we could not get an appointment for a pre-cruise test at CVS.  These were the only options, at that time, for a self-administered test.  So, I paid for them and may have to use them this week as our local CVS is not doing them anymore.  I think they are "good" through this coming November.

• Like 1

I recommend using www.on-point testing.com for your video test. Quick, easy, cheap ($15) and they email a pdf file with your results. Worked for us. You can use any unopened test.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vary said:

I recommend using www.on-point testing.com for your video test. Quick, easy, cheap ($15) and they email a pdf file with your results. Worked for us. You can use any unopened test.

I have never heard of it, but seems doable. Assume we can use the free tests we received from the government (orange and white box)? We need to test for our upcoming cruise and this would be so much easier than purchasing a bunch of eMed tests. Since I have never heard of it I’m a bit nervous to try it

My only advice on using the emed test is to have a back up plan in place. We purchased the 3 pack for ourselves and our daughter to use before our med cruise in Rome in June. My husband and my test went fine. When my daughter opened her box on the video call, the kit was completely missing the test strip and instead had two swabs.They were unable to complete the test and we then were left scrambling to find a test site. Our concierge pointed us to a local pharmacy but they were closed for testing for the day and we had to wait the night to complete the test. Emed offered to overnight us a test to our home but we were in Rome so not much help . 

This is all great information, thank you. I have Emed tests for two upcoming cruises. If I don’t have access to a printer can I just screen shot the email and upload that? I read that Navica provides a QR code so without a printer maybe I should create an account with them so I can have the code on my phone.

36 minutes ago, TravelMania620 said:

This is all great information, thank you. I have Emed tests for two upcoming cruises. If I don’t have access to a printer can I just screen shot the email and upload that? I read that Navica provides a QR code so without a printer maybe I should create an account with them so I can have the code on my phone.

A screen shot of the pdf (or the pdf itself) that is attached to the email is fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vary said:

Great reference! But the URL has the hyphen in the wrong place. Should be:

www.onpoint-testing.com

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

I have never heard of it, but seems doable. Assume we can use the free tests we received from the government (orange and white box)? We need to test for our upcoming cruise and this would be so much easier than purchasing a bunch of eMed tests. Since I have never heard of it I’m a bit nervous to try it

One precaution is that many of the tests from the U.S. Government have short expiration dates.   The last batch of iHealth ones I received have a 8/7/22 use by date.   I don't know if they have an extension like Abbott's tests.

I just googled and they have a 3 month extension from shelf life date.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

One precaution is that many of the tests from the U.S. Government have short expiration dates.   The last batch of iHealth ones I received have a 8/7/22 use by date.   I don't know if they have an extension like Abbotts tests.

They have been extended.  I don't have all the details at my fingertips, but they are good for at least 3 months longer, and the word is that they will continue to apply for further 3 month extensions as more longevity test results come in.

Edited by DCPIV

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

They have been extended.  I don't have all the details at my fingertips, but they are good for at least 3 months longer, and the word is that they will continue to apply for further 3 month extensions as more longevity test results come in.

Thanks... had just updated my post.   3 month extension.

UPDATE:  I set up E-Med accounts for myself and my wife.  I also have a Navica account on my phone.  Today, I went into E-Med to make sure it would work.  My wife's account was fine.  It would not log me into my account.  I first tried to change the password but it would not allow it.  I then tried to make a brand new account, but it would not allow it.  I spent 20 minutes on the phone with an E-Med rep.  I was told they would send me a "temporary" password so that I could test.  Can I log in with the temporary password and then create my own password?  NO.  They will also send me a link to establish a new password (which is what I already tried but it wouldn't accept it).  It may take 2 days to get this.

I was then told that if I had a Navica account I could just go to "profiles" and add another person to Navica account, and then both of us could test that way.  Rep also said they were having trouble with parts of the website.  I really hope I can find a CVS that will test us this coming Thursday.