MDR clothing options

MF40

On 7/16/2022 at 7:18 AM, ScottC4746 said:

I think this is just life.  People don't dress like they used to.  You see shorts in first class and kid you not shower caps and fuzzy slippers in all classes.  People don't dress up for overnight trains, personally I will not wear shorts in the diner for dinner, that is just the way I was brought up.  You see shorts and t shirts in church now.  While I am happy to see people attending, I refuse to wear shorts to church.  I grew up in a day when you wore a three piece suit to church in Houston with 98 degrees 98%.  People don't dress up for the opera, symphony, or theater anymore.  I have gone to a nice Japanese Steak House in Hollywood up ontop of the hills an people were in shorts and t-shirt.

Yes! I went to a funeral in a Catholic Church last weekend. I don't wear suits when I'm not working, so wore a pair of jeans, sneakers, and a button down shirt. I thought I'd be the least well-dressed person (I obviously didn't care), however there were several people dressed in even more casual clothes than I. This included one guy with cargo shorts, flippie floppies, and a polo shirt. 

To be clear, I didn't care they dressed so casually - what people wear doesn't impact me. I'm the kind of person that will wear shorts, t-shirt and flippie floppies to my cruise meals. If the dress code requires more, then I'm respectful and just don't go to that specific dining location. 

But - I'm definitely in the crowd that is all about comfort, relaxing, and not giving a care in the world about impressing others with the way I dress/look. Just take a shower and smell not like too much BO, and I'm happy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I'm not sensing much of a 'suggested' vibe in the following from the FAQ, sure reads like a rule when it uses words like 'not allowed' and 'will be enforced' ...

"Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening."

Personally I've stopped cruising on lines that have rules that I know I will not want to follow, just seemed like the easy option...

Now that's funny. Your opinion and ya gotta do you. Celebrity calls it (in print) a dress code. Not a rule. Didn't you read that in what you copied and pasted from Celebrity's website? More of a suggestion and this thread is proof the enforcement is consistently inconsistent across the fleet. Other than the first evening I wear dockers and a golf/polo style shirt every evening in the MDR. I've changed to this in 2016 when Celebrity introduced the new dress code that included evening chic for the evening in the MDR. What you and others wear is none of my business! 

On 7/16/2022 at 9:54 PM, Pinboy said:

Were they at a convention , or, maybe a political rally for ( can't make political statements on CC). 

In all our cruises with Celebrity we never saw behavior like that.

I imagine they would be the same types described as " Slobs at the buffet " , the " I'll wear what I want and could care less what the dress code requests ",  "heckle" a comedian during his/her performance at will----- and wear their baseball hat with the peak facing backwards.

Hmmm, I perfectly fit in the the "slobs at the buffet" comment, but definitely not the behavior part. My work as an executive has shaped me to be respectful and cognizant of my words/behavior. But I sure will throw the shorts, flippie floppies, and t-shirt (again, only if the restaurant's dress code allows - otherwise I won't be in that restaurant). 

We have cruised Celebrity for many years. Out of common courtesy and respect to the cruise line and staff we always follow the suggested "dress guidelines". Of the major cruise companies (Carnival NCL RCCL and Celebrity) it is an upscale cruise line. There are not rock climbing walls, putting greens or water slides on Celebrity ships. There is emphasis on trendy culinary experiences, hi-tech educational workshops and a modern onboard vibe. Look at all the marketing videos for the cruise lines. That should give you an indication as to how they would like the customer to dress.

The staff may not say anything about wearing shorts to the MDR but , trust me, they and other are talking about it behind your back..

As a travel agent, I always advise my clients to be sure to have the male travelers pack slacks. One client did not and had to eat in the buffet each night for their all-inclusive resort.

Would you wear shorts to a fine dining restaurant at home, probably not.

OMG... It's just a pair of pants!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Now that's funny. Your opinion and ya gotta do you. Celebrity calls it (in print) a dress code. Not a rule. Didn't you read that in what you copied and pasted from Celebrity's website?

I never cease to be amazed at the ability of people seeking to avoid a rule they dislike to try to skip around the words that don't fit their interpretation 🙂

A 'code' is a set of rules, not a set of 'suggestions'... 'not allowed' seems to be pretty clear to me, but as you put it, 'you do you' and try to imagine those words just don't have the normal meaning 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL---- Perhaps it's time to add something more " Challenging  ",  like " What ya gonna do IF the Captain invites ya to have dinner at his/her table on a CHIC night ?? 

So here's the thing...as I stated:

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

(again, only if the restaurant's dress code allows - otherwise I won't be in that restaurant). 

So I'm not going to dine with the captain. Why would I do that? Awkward conversation involving a lot of small talk. I do enough mixers, networking events, etc. for work to not want to do the same on vacation. I go on vacation to spend time with my husband, not dine with anyone else unless they interest me.

Now - if, let's say, Kristin Chenoweth was on the cruise and I could have a meal with her during chic night, then yes, I'd put chic night clothes on and enjoy an evening with my favorite Broadway/West Wing star. That means I would adhere to the dress code and let the "slob" look retire for the evening. I might even put a watch on and a shirt with cufflinks for Kristin. 

11 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

As an " executive " it would seem that following rules would be important to you.

Agreed - and as the statement above shows, I adhere to the rules. I am of the opinion a dress code is a rule, not a suggestion as others have commented. There is a reason I will never cruise on Cunard and it has everything to do with the evening dress code. 

Next time, please don't take my comments out of context. I will choose a venue where I do not have to wear clothes that I wear every day for work - this includes fancy pants, button down shirts, ties, jackets, etc.

I will not put a crew member in the unfortunate role of dress code police by hoping they will let me slide. They have enough work to do. Judging everyone's clothes to ensure they meet up with the dress code shouldn't be one. Individuals should have the courtesy to either:

1. Adhere to the dress code and not complain, or;

2. Choose a venue that does not require the type of clothes they wish not to wear.

This would make the pretentious snobs who want a formal evening in the MDR (let's not discuss how most MDR's are just upscale cafeterias) happy, though they wouldn't be able to complain about the apparel of others. 

It would also keep the uncultured slobs , like me, happy. Of course we couldn't make any comments about those that are "peacocking" for all to see. 

If I have to choose between the MDR with a rigid dress code and a buffet or specialty restaurant with a looser dress code, then I'll wander my way to that less rigid dress code environment (with nary a second thought about it). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Celebritrys published suggested dress code guidelines are not a rule. No one is breaking or adhering to a rule! :classic_rolleyes: I always wear shorts and a golf/polo style shirt in the MDR on the first evening. On no say it's not so! 🍻

This calls for a quarantine in an interior cabin.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, sun bum said:

We have cruised Celebrity for many years. Out of common courtesy and respect to the cruise line and staff we always follow the suggested "dress guidelines". Of the major cruise companies (Carnival NCL RCCL and Celebrity) it is an upscale cruise line. There are not rock climbing walls, putting greens or water slides on Celebrity ships. There is emphasis on trendy culinary experiences, hi-tech educational workshops and a modern onboard vibe. Look at all the marketing videos for the cruise lines. That should give you an indication as to how they would like the customer to dress.  Yes and the paid Giselle Bundchen/Tom Brady looking models they use, is that too an indication of how we should look?

The staff may not say anything about wearing shorts to the MDR but , trust me, they and other are talking about it behind your back..And who cares, if they talk about me behind my back, it means they are leaving someone else alone

As a travel agent, I always advise my clients to be sure to have the male travelers pack slacks. One client did not and had to eat in the buffet each night for their all-inclusive resort.

OMG... It's just a pair of pants!!  Lots of worrying about something someone decides to do that is totally out of your control.    I'm not knocking ya, I promise, I just subscribe to the theory of you do you, I do me, and let the pieces fit where they may or may not.

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

LOL---- Perhaps it's time to add something more " Challenging  ",  like " What ya gonna do IF the Captain invites ya to have dinner at his/her table on a CHIC night ?? 

That’s an easy one. “Thanks but no thanks”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm amazed anyone thinks the staff REALLY cares what you wear beyond being neat/clean; they care if you tip and they care if you are a decent person to them; as you should be at any meal service, any time of day. But I really can't imagine they care anything about your life, what you did in port, what show you saw, or about your kids, or doggie at home, etc.  It's an excuse to cajole people into doing something they don't want to do "See, the staff dressed up...so you know it's a special place because of that." 

Now I could show you some photos from 20 years ago on ships and we are all head to toe in suits and ties, tuxedos, dresses on the women; extravagent feasts with multiple courses; a real production. Go back to the 1990's and the MDR was IT. It was a fine dining experience every night. And it's gone so far downhill on every cruise line that it is just worth the hour it takes to get your starter and main and get out. Just my opinion.  The world is a lot less formal now.  You can be casual and still look great. Then again, you always see those whose formal clothes is from the 1988 Sears Catalog; not such a great look anymore.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sun bum said:

The staff may not say anything about wearing shorts to the MDR but , trust me, they and other are talking about it behind your back..

No, the staff is not.  They. don't. care. They truly don't care one bit. Why would they care. It's beyond absurd waste of their time, which they have almost none to themselves.  Theys see guests in shorts all day.  You think this is a topic of their discussion in their off hours?  I'm sure they say something about people acting goofy, exceptionally attractive people, the heavy heavy tippers, etc., but they've seen every combination of clothes you can imagine. Oh my goodness. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

So I'm not going to dine with the captain. Why would I do that? Awkward conversation involving a lot of small talk. I do enough mixers, networking events, etc. for work to not want to do the same on vacation. I go on vacation to spend time with my husband, not dine with anyone else unless they interest me.

Since we were never invited to dine with the Captain , I always thought it would be discourteous to refuse an invitation to dine with him/her.

" Awkward conversation involving a lot of small talk "-- LOL-- OH YEA -- Been there, done that for " years "!!!

"  not dine with anyone else unless they interest me . "-- LOL--- Agree 100 %

We learned that on our first cruise -- a table for 2 suits us fine.

Next time, please don't take my comments out of context ".

It seems as if I did--- my bad--- didn't mean to offend you.

" Individuals should have the courtesy "--- Reminds me of the Slugfest on 14 ( OVC ) !!!

( You sound like the kind of person I'd like to meet )

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

No more captains table. 

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed this thread, because I'm struggling with bringing very dressy clothes on a cruise.   I agree with a lot of what @LMaxwell says about the matter, but I'm definitely a rules follower.  

This whole dress code thing reminds me of an annual trip to Rome I take with some of my college students.  During this trip we include the Vatican Museum and St. Peters as part of the cultural component.  I would tell the "kids", okay no shorts on this day.  Inevitably we'd see someone else in the museum in shorts, or a woman in a dress without her shoulders covered.  The kids across multiple years like to let me know about this "non-compliance".   Like I tortured them into putting a pair of pants on for 1/2 a day.   In those years when it's been hot in Rome, it's been especially torturous for the students and they love to let me know how much I've tortured them.

I think I agree with @sun bum that it's just a pair of pants.   If that's all Celebrity is asking for, no sweat.  A pair of pants, seriously, that's the bar?  

Where I draw the line is that I really don't want to wear (or pack) a dinner jacket.  Nevermind a suit, and DEFINITELY not a bow tie.   I don't have many opportunities to wear a bow tie and have no intentions on buying one for a cruise.  I own a couple of suits, but those are for when parents are going to be at an event.  Definitely not something I'm doing for pleasure.  So, in that I agree with @LMaxwell  

2 hours ago, sun bum said:

OMG... It's just a pair of pants!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sun bum said:

If within the dress code. If not, unless it is winter, I wouldn't go there. Though, if for work, yes I'm sadly don my unhappy apparel and throw on the clown suit. 

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I never cease to be amazed at the ability of people seeking to avoid a rule they dislike to try to skip around the words that don't fit their interpretation 🙂

A 'code' is a set of rules, not a set of 'suggestions'... 'not allowed' seems to be pretty clear to me, but as you put it, 'you do you' and try to imagine those words just don't have the normal meaning 🙂

I agree, you have done that very well. 🙂 Which in your case you are doing by trying to replace the word code that Celebrity uses with rule. 😁 Better word would be guideline or suggestion. Totally agree with "not allowed" is very clear.    Now tell that to the staff at the entrance to the MDR. 😉  We always comply with Celebrity's published dress code.

Edited by davekathy

8 hours ago, sun bum said:

Oooh, people I don’t know and will never see again talking about me behind my back. Yes, that will surely get someone to cave into peer pressure and follow the dress “code”. Are you sure you haven’t confused a cruise ship MDR with a high school cafeteria?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

I agree, you have done that very well. 🙂 Which in your case you are doing by trying to replace the word code that Celebrity uses with rule. 😁 Better word would be guideline or suggestion.

I hope you never get the opportunity to explain to a judge how you understood the State Penal Code to be 'guidelines' or 'suggestions' rather than 'rules' ... 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I don't thin that anyone cares the first night. The luggage might have been late to your room.

Most cruise lines tend to take that approach, and it is reasonable as even if suitcases all make it to the ship you do still see cases in the wrong places even into the evening on occasions.

Personally I don't pay much attention to what others are wearing at other times either, I just find it funny when people contort their interpretations of the published rules to allow them to break them without admitting they are wilfully deciding to break a rule 🙂

If you want to break the dress code rules then just own it and the consequences if you are called on it by the crew...

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

If you want to break the dress code rules then just own it and the consequences if you are called on it by the crew...

"Rules" are basically to be clothed.  The rest are suggestions; informational guidelines for international guests where words have different meanings. They are examples of the theme of the night; nothing more or less.  

I do "own it". 

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I hope you never get the opportunity to explain to a judge how you understood the State Penal Code to be 'guidelines' or 'suggestions' rather than 'rules' ... 🙂

You are relating the state penal code to a cruise line dress code interpretation?!?  Me thinks you , oh never mind,…it’s very hot here today I need to find my shorts and t-shirt.