MDR clothing options

MF40

3 hours ago, padgman1 said:

In reading this thread, the best advise that comes to mind was written by Shakespeare 500+ years ago..."Much Ado About Nothing."

I follow the policy suggestions for dress. If Celebrity does not care to enforce policies, I am NOT in a position to do it for them.( For that matter, neither is anyone else).

Exactly, not much more to do..I have no desire to be the clothes police on board, but I do follow the guidelines..as do the vast majority of guests. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MF40 said:

Ok just an update after 3 nights. Second night was chic night, everyone wearing long threads (so the suggestion this is something to do with half the male guests losing their luggage is moot). Some dressed more chic than others but that’s to be expected 

Last night (night 3), I’d say about 30% of men in shorts. Most in tailored shorts. 

One gent I spotted wearing flip flops

That's how it begins.  On my last cruise in June.  10 nights. Each night more people came in shorts and flipflops.  Why not?  Once people see others getting into dinner dressed in shorts, others follow. There is no dress code.

12 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

That's how it begins.  On my last cruise in June.  10 nights. Each night more people came in shorts and flipflops.  Why not?  Once people see others getting into dinner dressed in shorts, others follow. There is no dress code.

The better question than why not? is why? 

Sub out boat shoes (close toed, w laces; not flip flops) for the athletic sneakers here and that's pretty much my "look" . I'm not silly enough to post a photo of myself and open myself up to onboard harassment from a CC'er gone rogue though (not saying you; in general)

Men's Golf Shorts | Golf Shorts Men | Peter Millar

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smears said:

I think good manners are more important than what someone is wearing.

Good manners includes following a venue's written policies, right?

I don't care much about people wear either, but I do follow the cruise line's published rules, or I find another cruise line with rules I prefer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Good manners includes following a venue's written policies, right?

I don't care much about people wear either, but I do follow the cruise line's published rules, or I find another cruise line with rules I prefer.

Well no one is going to have perfectly good manners. So I'd have to come up with a way to rank which violations carried what amount of weight. I think being judgmental of others is as least twice as much a violation as something like say....wearing shorts.

Edited by smears

2 hours ago, smears said:

I had no idea that people got this mad about what other people wore to dinner.

I'll put on a button down and a pair of pants, but I'm not tucking it in or wearing a jacket to dinner on a cruise ship.

If someone else wants to wear something else, I can't imagine myself feeling affected by their choice.

I think good manners are more important than what someone is wearing.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand the reaction, but in truth, most of the posts and reactions are to the “I’m wearing what I want and will be in shorts” posts here. And the post above yours about how ‘pretentious’ some are who do dress up beyond shorts and t-shirts.

I enjoy dressing a bit. I dont spend time looking around to see what others are wearing and just enjoy our time. My son-in-law wore work-out type pants a shirt and windbreaker. He felt fine in that and I wasn’t bothered or whatever. I just hoped he was comfortable with me in my blazer and Bow Tie…..love those now that I can tie them!!

But here, its just reactions to the silly excuses you get. Way back, when coat and tie were ‘required’, I remember a post from a ‘gentleman’ that he had to wear that at work and he refused to do it and would dine at the buffet, even though his wife asked him to dress up a bit. My reaction was: “So you wear a coat/tie to work when you are paid to, but won’t wear one for your wife.  Got it.” Kind of the stuff you read here.

enough. These things never get better, just go downhill till the monitors lock it.

Den 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There's a place in my home city that used to do these "escoffier society" dinners, where they'd bring in a chef from some random place in the world and they'd cook some crazy meal for about a dozen or so people on the top floor of this fancy building downtown.

Most everyone who went to it was either some professional university admin or some banking executive type or like some rich old philanthropist couple. The kind of people who dress like they're going to a fancy dinner pretty much every day of their lives. I had an in to get to go to these dinners, even though I'm just a regular random person who was nowhere near the socioeconomic status of the average attendee. Like I was probably the only person there who had ever been drunk in public or who had a net worth of less than a few million bucks. A real ownership class/shareholder class type of crowd. For them, because I really liked getting to eat all that food and drink all that wine, I'd throw on a jacket and tie and make sure my socks matched. The environment was such that if I didn't, it would have been the most noteworthy thing happening in the place. 

If I walked into a dining room on a cruise ship and the scene was like that, I'd adapt to make sure I matched the scene, even though I generally hate wearing suits. But since for the most part these mdrs are a lot less formal, I think as long as I'm dressed in a way that isn't objectively offensive that it should be ok. 

I think the photo someone posted above of a guy in shorts would be acceptable on a cruise. Some may disagree. Some shorts might not be as acceptable. No one wants to look over and see an imprint of someone's junk in a wet pair of gym shorts while they're eating dinner. But to be upset about a desire to enforce a hard rule that someone's lower legs be covered just feels like a waste of a good vibe. For the cruise, I think a clean outfit that you just changed into, that isn't vulgar should suffice. 

A lot of this should just boil down to common sense and having one's self attuned to some reasonable standard of decency, but someone is always going to show up in those gym shorts or with a boob hanging out and it doesn't make for a nice evening to allow one's self to get upset about it.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, Pinboy said:

Frankly, I don't care what other people wear , however , how about we just follow the guidelines as requested by the Cruise Line on the few Chic evenings ?

Is that too hard , or, is it only " wimps " that follow them ?

Yes, I do enjoy dressing up myself!!

• Like 1

Where do those tuxedo t-shirts fit in to all this?

Does a person in a tuxedo t-shirt get any points for at least trying to match the crowd? Or is it a more egregious offense because it could be seen as mocking the whole fanciness of it all?

Has anyone ever seen a tuxedo t-shirt in an mdr? Or has anyone here ever worn one? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

So now we're equating guidelines for the MDR on Celebrity with the dress code at the Vatican?

No. I asked a question giving multiple examples of dress codes to find out where the line was drawn. Where did I write "the Vatican?"

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

The better question than why not? is why? 

Sub out boat shoes (close toed, w laces; not flip flops) for the athletic sneakers here and that's pretty much my "look" . I'm not silly enough to post a photo of myself and open myself up to onboard harassment from a CC'er gone rogue though (not saying you; in general)

Men's Golf Shorts | Golf Shorts Men | Peter Millar

It's a new, more casual world out there. Celebrity should allow this look (even with the athletic shoes) in all of their dining rooms. It's unfortunate that they don't.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

It's a new, more casual world out there. Celebrity should allow this look (even with the athletic shoes) in all of their dining rooms. It's unfortunate that they don't.

I think we are sharing a moment. 

13 hours ago, RichYak said:

They DO allow it -- They DO.

But, request that on a few nights ( CHIC ) that pants and a clean shirt are worn.

It's not that hard to understand ---- just respect the rules, guidelines, suggestions, or whatever you want to call it.

You know what--- it " really " comes down to "Entitlement " , " I have MY rights ", --- total BS on the part of those who won't.

C'est la vie mon ami ( That's life my friend ).

Gotta love these dress code threads, so many worried about what others may or may not wear.  It's a vacation that we have paid 1000's to join and enjoy. Wear what makes you comfortable and forget about what others around you wear and never let it ruin your vacation cruise. We board the Reflection in two weeks, and it is looking like Italy and Greece will be having record heat. I am sure we will see more shorts on this cruise like we saw last year on the Equinox on our very hot August Caribbean cruise.

We live in South Texas and today is our 39th straight day over 100F which is closing in on our all-time record. I wear smart looking golf shorts in the summer with golf shirts and there is no place in my city I can't wear them for a nice dinner either. We are in a sky suite and if we see others wearing shorts in Luminae, I may do so as well, but my DW probably won't let me. I will be taking some very light weight golf pants that I will wear for dinner at night to appease my DW. I haven't taken a coat or dress shirt on a cruise for the last 10 years. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Gotta love these dress code threads, so many worried about what others may or may not wear.  It's a vacation that we have paid 1000's to join and enjoy. Wear what makes you comfortable and forget about what others around you wear and never let it ruin your vacation cruise. We board the Reflection in two weeks, and it is looking like Italy and Greece will be having record heat. I am sure we will see more shorts on this cruise like we saw last year on the Equinox on our very hot August Caribbean cruise.

We live in South Texas and today is our 39th straight day over 100F which is closing in on our all-time record. I wear smart looking golf shorts in the summer with golf shirts and there is no place in my city I can't wear them for a nice dinner either. We are in a sky suite and if we see others wearing shorts in Luminae, I may do so as well, but my DW probably won't let me. I will be taking some very light weight golf pants that I will wear for dinner at night to appease my DW. I haven't taken a coat or dress shirt on a cruise for the last 10 years. 

Oh dear @terrydtx you do like to live on the edge, but there are RULES I tell ya, RULES.  Many on here say they "don't care" about what someone wears, but then they point out the rules, the rules, and they are there for a reason, me thinks deep down they really do care and they can't help but gawking at them and pointing them out to their table mates/traveling companions thus ruining their dinner, and yes I do believe this happens, otherwise there would not be so much protesting about how people dress.  Now excuse me, I am meeting a friend for lunch at a lovely restaurant and my dress shorts and collared polo need to be pressed.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RichYak said:

No. I asked a question giving multiple examples of dress codes to find out where the line was drawn. Where did I write "the Vatican?"

You mentioned Catholic Churches as examples of places that have dress codes.  I just used the most famous one in my response.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I wear smart looking golf shorts in the summer with golf shirts and there is no place in my city I can't wear them for a nice dinner either.

Do any of these establishments have a stated policy, similar to Celebrity's, that says shorts are not allowed? I thought that was the point of this discussion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Dress up for overnight trains??  Look I am over 60 yo but missing B&W TV and Leave It To Beaver type lifestyle is just not on my radar.  I do not want to return to the 60's, the generation before mine lamented changes and the generation(s) after me will do the same, though I really don't think they will be in the kerfuffle some of a certain age can seem to be over superfluous "stuff". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Ok--- So we are at an impasse -- some people just will not follow the rules.

LOL-- Sounds like some golfers I know .

But if Dolly Parton followed the rules she'd still be the back-up girl singer for Porter Wagoner and she'd of changed her "dress code" when the Nashville suits told her she'd have a better chance of "making" it and being taken seriously in the music business.  Sorry, but I'm with Dolly, got to push the envelope to get it to the other side of the table. 

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Ok--- So we are at an impasse -- some people just will not follow the rules.

LOL-- Sounds like some golfers I know .

Celebritrys published suggested dress code guidelines are not a rule. No one is breaking or adhering to a rule! :classic_rolleyes: I always wear shorts and a golf/polo style shirt in the MDR on the first evening. On no say it's not so! 🍻

Edited by davekathy

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Celebritrys published suggested dress code guidelines are not a rule. No one is breaking or adhering to a rule! :classic_rolleyes:

I'm not sensing much of a 'suggested' vibe in the following from the FAQ, sure reads like a rule when it uses words like 'not allowed' and 'will be enforced' ...

"Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening."

Personally I've stopped cruising on lines that have rules that I know I will not want to follow, just seemed like the easy option...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

Think we all know they cut folks some slack on first and last night…we know why.  No issue.  

... and similarly on other nights if the luggage didn't make it to the ship, and I figure those in that situation have been punished enough already without being relegated to the buffet for the duration of the cruise 🙂

• Like 2