MDR clothing options

MF40

8 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

I'm more of the opinion "Don't worry about what others are wearing.  Be yourself and be comfortable."

Yes, weddings, funerals, major events, dress appropriately.  A 7 hour flight in economy seats?  Dinner on vacation?  I'd like to be comfortable.  I don't see how someone wearing shorts and a shirt ruins anything for anyone unless they let it.

I completely agree! And that was my point - don’t worry about what others are doing and enjoy!

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Were they at a convention , or, maybe a political rally for ( can't make political statements on CC). 

In all our cruises with Celebrity we never saw behavior like that.

I imagine they would be the same types described as " Slobs at the buffet " , the " I'll wear what I want and could care less what the dress code requests ",  "heckle" a comedian during his/her performance at will----- and wear their baseball hat with the peak facing backwards.

If you were going for the ultra-snob, "crap don't stink", vibe, you nailed it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:41 AM, chemmo said:

In our experience on Celebrity dress is more casual in the Caribbean and Alaska, more formal in the Med and from Southampton….It would not surprise me if dress improves tomorrow night. Many guests will have had long flights, possible delays with luggage delivery etc.

Staff are also instructed to be tolerant first night because of the above, guests may be quietly reminded  tonight.

To be honest, how others dress doesn’t particularly bother me as long as my family meets my standards!

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

While I tend to agree, and am personally on the "not bringing a suit" side of chic nights, this is an amazingly low bar we're talking about.  

Pants. 

Surely every single person owns a pair. We're not talking about something fancy, expensive, out of the ordinary.  Pants.  That's the bar.  It's so low that most people don't even know it's there.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I completely agree! And that was my point - don’t worry about what others are doing and enjoy!

Frankly, I don't care what other people wear , however , how about we just follow the guidelines as requested by the Cruise Line on the few Chic evenings ?

Is that too hard , or, is it only " wimps " that follow them ?

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 2:03 AM, MF40 said:

Boarded the Reflection yesterday, everything is great and the staff are fantastic. 

One observation though. I know it was first night and all that but couldn’t get over how many men were wearing shorts in the MDR. 

What do people think, is this the way forward on Celebrity or just another standard slipping?

Clutch pearls, then inhale smelling salts... what is the world coming to?

I don't see how someone else chooses to dress impacts the quality of your vacation? They paid the same fare as you did, perhaps even more.  They should be entitled to enjoy themselves as they see fit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Clutch pearls, then inhale smelling salts... what is the world coming to?

I don't see how someone else chooses to dress impacts the quality of your vacation? They paid the same fare as you did, perhaps even more.  They should be entitled to enjoy themselves as they see fit.

Well That opens the door to a whole fun list of what others ‘see fit’.  And isn’t it interesting we are always talking about us men and our inability to put on a pair of pants and wear some collared shirt. Silly.  

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Well That opens the door to a whole fun list of what others ‘see fit’.  And isn’t it interesting we are always talking about us men and our inability to put on a pair of pants and wear some collared shirt. Silly.  

Den

Let me clarify.  I'm not saying you should able to wear a wet bathing suit and flip flops to the dining room.  But long pants vs shorts... seriously?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wore pants for a totality of 90 minutes on my 6 day cruise. That's also the same amount of time my wife wore a sundress. (Chic night). 

I realized I had made myself uncomfortable so that I could walk less than 45 seconds across a mostly empty dining room, and sit in a side section of a dozen tables, on the lower level of one of the timed seatings, with maybe 5 of those 12 tables were occupied and no one could see me once I sat down. All other nights I wore golf shorts and boat shoes, as did several men and women onboard. My wife also wore shorts; not sure the technical name for the style, but normal type walking around shorts for women, not ripped, not daisy dukes, not gym spandex.  People can make the argument that it's JUST 90 minutes; sure. If it's JUST 90 minutes, and not our style, we don't see it as something worth doing. 

This was for a Caribbean cruise in the past few weeks. One day in the lunch buffet our table waiter spotted us and asked if we were coming to the dining room for dinner; we said no, just wanted a casual evening and he said it's fine, no problem, just come, so we did.  We ate MDR 4 nights, buffet 2 nights. We don't even usually stick around for MDR dessert to be honest. 

We don't wear clothing with lewd slogans on them, we don't wear sports jerseys, we don't wear hats at dinner time, we aren't in pool clothing, or in clothes from our excursions. We reside in a year round warm, beach area where dressing smartly in polo shirts, short sleeve button ups, golf shorts, is acceptable at all but the most high end restaurants, and many certainly with culinary offerings and vibe surpassing a cruise ship main dining room. We know how to show up clean and presentable but in a shoreside casual style. 

I refrain from making insulting comments towards those that choose to dress fancier than us. Many look quite nice, some are not so stylish, but it doesn't negatively impact us. They make their choices, we make our choices. These cruises are not even operating 70% full; they need and want our money and the staff simply don't care if men, or women, now wear shorts in the included dining room.  Newsflash; it ain't 1994 and the MDR is no longer the place for the best food and atmosphere onboard. We have cruise friends that *refused* to go on Celebrity because they will not even dress up as much as we will; and they are T/A's that get frequent offers for discounted or even free trips. I say they are missing out. 

Just go enjoy your cruise, your family and friends, a nice meal with good service.  Sitting at the MDR entrance playing middle manager can't be the most enjoyable way to spend time. 

I'm just being honest, open, and realistic with my experiences, and sharing my opinions which I know some will disagree with, but that's okay, so long as conversation flows in a civil manner. I won't argue with a wall. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

So what other rules did you ignore because you didn't think they should apply to you?  It's rude to put the onus on the workers to police your behavior. 

None.  I keep to myself. I don't hog rows of seats in the theater or commandeer prime pool chairs all day. I don't smoke. I don't over imbibe. I don't harass the activities staff during trivia. I don't ask the staff for 4 pieces of lobster. I don't graze at the buffet. We tip cash daily for room service and ask nothing of our room steward except to please provide ice. I bring onboard less than my allotment of wine. I don't play music on my balcony or do anything out there that would disturb others. We are always polite to staff and enhance our gratuities with additional cash. We don't use foul language. We don't camp out at buffet tables playing games. We don't allow our children to run in halls, jump in stairways, and they must allow people out of elevators before entering. We close our doors nicely so they do not slam and disturb neighbors. We don't force ahead at debarkations to jump the queue; understanding others may need to out of necessity we try to be courteous to those with flights to make. 

Swing and a miss. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Another issue in Europe right now is lost luggage. A friend of mine was on a Regent cruise out of Copenhagen a few weeks ago where 40 out of 350 passengers never got their checked luggage for the full 2+ week cruise!  They had to wear whatever they had in their carry on and what they could purchase in ports. The main dining room was lenient with their dress code that sailing. 

5 minutes ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

Another issue in Europe right now is lost luggage. A friend of mine was on a Regent cruise out of Copenhagen a few weeks ago where 40 out of 350 passengers never got their checked luggage for the full 2+ week cruise!  They had to wear whatever they had in their carry on and what they could purchase in ports. The main dining room was lenient with their dress code that sailing. 

That's no fun either. At most my carry on has a bathing suit, fresh underwear and extra shirt. In a more temperate climate that could really wreck a trip. 

It definitely depends on the ship. On infinity last week, people with shorts were turned away on night 1. I saw it happening all week. One group was saying they didn’t receive their luggage. Not sure if they ended up getting in or not. 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

None.  I keep to myself. I don't hog rows of seats in the theater or commandeer prime pool chairs all day. I don't smoke. I don't over imbibe. I don't harass the activities staff during trivia. I don't ask the staff for 4 pieces of lobster. I don't graze at the buffet. We tip cash daily for room service and ask nothing of our room steward except to please provide ice. I bring onboard less than my allotment of wine. I don't play music on my balcony or do anything out there that would disturb others. We are always polite to staff and enhance our gratuities with additional cash. We don't use foul language. We don't camp out at buffet tables playing games. We don't allow our children to run in halls, jump in stairways, and they must allow people out of elevators before entering. We close our doors nicely so they do not slam and disturb neighbors. We don't force ahead at debarkations to jump the queue; understanding others may need to out of necessity we try to be courteous to those with flights to make. 

Swing and a miss. 

Sounds like rationalization to me.  Why put the staff in the position of having to enforce any rule that you disagree with?  That's what you're doing by ignoring the dress code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Sounds like rationalization to me.  Why put the staff in the position of having to enforce any rule that you disagree with?  That's what you're doing by ignoring the dress code.

Well, I disagree. But there will be little fruit borne of this discussion as you live in a black and white world, and I don't. Anyways, just relaying my personal experiences as a data point for all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Well, I disagree. But there will be little fruit borne of this discussion as you live in a black and white world, and I don't. Anyways, just relaying my personal experiences as a data point for all. 

We’ll said, sir. Don’t let anyone dissuade you. 

4 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Let me clarify.  I'm not saying you should able to wear a wet bathing suit and flip flops to the dining room.  But long pants vs shorts... seriously?

Is it really THAT hard to put on pants as the cruise line requests? VERY low bar, those pesky pants. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I wore pants for a totality of 90 minutes on my 6 day cruise. That's also the same amount of time my wife wore a sundress. (Chic night). 

I realized I had made myself uncomfortable so that I could walk less than 45 seconds across a mostly empty dining room, and sit in a side section of a dozen tables, on the lower level of one of the timed seatings, with maybe 5 of those 12 tables were occupied and no one could see me once I sat down. All other nights I wore golf shorts and boat shoes, as did several men and women onboard. My wife also wore shorts; not sure the technical name for the style, but normal type walking around shorts for women, not ripped, not daisy dukes, not gym spandex.  People can make the argument that it's JUST 90 minutes; sure. If it's JUST 90 minutes, and not our style, we don't see it as something worth doing. 

This was for a Caribbean cruise in the past few weeks. One day in the lunch buffet our table waiter spotted us and asked if we were coming to the dining room for dinner; we said no, just wanted a casual evening and he said it's fine, no problem, just come, so we did.  We ate MDR 4 nights, buffet 2 nights. We don't even usually stick around for MDR dessert to be honest. 

We don't wear clothing with lewd slogans on them, we don't wear sports jerseys, we don't wear hats at dinner time, we aren't in pool clothing, or in clothes from our excursions. We reside in a year round warm, beach area where dressing smartly in polo shirts, short sleeve button ups, golf shorts, is acceptable at all but the most high end restaurants, and many certainly with culinary offerings and vibe surpassing a cruise ship main dining room. We know how to show up clean and presentable but in a shoreside casual style. 

I refrain from making insulting comments towards those that choose to dress fancier than us. Many look quite nice, some are not so stylish, but it doesn't negatively impact us. They make their choices, we make our choices. These cruises are not even operating 70% full; they need and want our money and the staff simply don't care if men, or women, now wear shorts in the included dining room.  Newsflash; it ain't 1994 and the MDR is no longer the place for the best food and atmosphere onboard. We have cruise friends that *refused* to go on Celebrity because they will not even dress up as much as we will; and they are T/A's that get frequent offers for discounted or even free trips. I say they are missing out. 

Just go enjoy your cruise, your family and friends, a nice meal with good service.  Sitting at the MDR entrance playing middle manager can't be the most enjoyable way to spend time. 

I'm just being honest, open, and realistic with my experiences, and sharing my opinions which I know some will disagree with, but that's okay, so long as conversation flows in a civil manner. I won't argue with a wall. 

So you refuse to wear long pants the other 358 days of the year when you're not on your 7n cruise because they're uncomfortable and you think you're special?? 

Even my teenage kid who wore shorts to school every day of the year,and I mean EVERY DAY, despite temperatures in the 0's and teens, had and still has the ability to wear an actual pair of pants for the duration of a dinner. 

I suggest a modification to your shopping habits if that's too difficult for a grown adult. Buy a bigger size perhaps.  Go go a stretchy waistband and a supple fabric. Forgo the belt if necessary.  Combine all of the above if you like.   

And if wearing a pair of pants for the 90 minute duration of a cruise dinner is simply impossible, the buffet offers a nice selection of offerings. 

And if all else fails, wear a kilt. But be sure to get the stretchy waistband, lest you be uncomfortable for a 20th of your day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I wear pants to the dining room out of respect to other passengers as well as the staff who police the policy, but I do think the recommended dress code be relaxed to include golf/bermuda shorts. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, D C said:

So you refuse to wear long pants the other 358 days of the year when you're not on your 7n cruise because they're uncomfortable and you think you're special?? 

Even my teenage kid who wore shorts to school every day of the year,and I mean EVERY DAY, despite temperatures in the 0's and teens, had and still has the ability to wear an actual pair of pants for the duration of a dinner. 

I suggest a modification to your shopping habits if that's too difficult for a grown adult. Buy a bigger size perhaps.  Go go a stretchy waistband and a supple fabric. Forgo the belt if necessary.  Combine all of the above if you like.   

And if wearing a pair of pants for the 90 minute duration of a cruise dinner is simply impossible, the buffet offers a nice selection of offerings. 

And if all else fails, wear a kilt. But be sure to get the stretchy waistband, lest you be uncomfortable for a 20th of your day. 

I hope that little episode made you feel better at least. I can't believe you took the time to offer such nonsense "suggestions". 

I wear pants for paychecks, weddings, and funerals. Not on hot weather Caribbean vacation.

There's no light way to put this:  Cruise ship MDR's just are not all that great, I don't feel the need to participate in being someone elses background actor. Everyone has a reason for how they spend time with their loved ones. If dressing up makes you feel good about yourself, go right ahead. If putting me down makes you feel good about yourself, well, you're not the kind of person whose opinion would matter to me. I don't operate that way. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I hope that little episode made you feel better at least. I can't believe you took the time to offer such nonsense "suggestions". 

I wear pants for paychecks, weddings, and funerals. Not on hot weather Caribbean vacation.

There's no light way to put this:  Cruise ship MDR's just are not all that great, I don't feel the need to participate in being someone elses background actor. Everyone has a reason for how they spend time with their loved ones. If dressing up makes you feel good about yourself, go right ahead. If putting me down makes you feel good about yourself, well, you're not the kind of person whose opinion would matter to me. I don't operate that way. 

So why would you bother to wear pants for paychecks, weddings, and funerals? Surely your temporary comfort is more important. 

Pants.

We're talking about the simple request from the cruise line that you wear pants in the dining room.  This isn't "dressing up", it's wearing PANTS. 

Somehow you feel you're above that simple request.  Simply mind boggling.   But you go ahead and do you.  I honestly don't care what you do, as it affects me not one iota.  But do be certain that I will be judging you and your lack of ability to comply with what may possibly be the most simple request ever made of you.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

So what other rules did you ignore because you didn't think they should apply to you?  It's rude to put the onus on the workers to police your behavior. 

When one feels entitled to do as they please, it becomes difficult to even identify rules, guidelines, or customs that they may have violated.  Why bother even attempting to keep track?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

What would you wear to a funeral in the Caribbean? Or better yet, why do you wear pants to a wedding?

To me, proper attire is whatever my host requests. It's not location dependent. It's about respect. When the wedding invite says black tie, I wear a tux. Again, respect, not comfort. When Celebrity says no shorts, I'm not going to disrespect staff by putting them in an awkward position. Anyway, that's my opinion.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, D C said:

So why would you bother to wear pants for paychecks, weddings, and funerals? Surely your temporary comfort is more important. 

Pants.

We're talking about the simple request from the cruise line that you wear pants in the dining room.  This isn't "dressing up", it's wearing PANTS. 

Somehow you feel you're above that simple request.  Simply mind boggling.   But you go ahead and do you.  I honestly don't care what you do, as it affects me not one iota.  But do be certain that I will be judging you and your lack of ability to comply with what may possibly be the most simple request ever made of you.  🙂

Paychecks, weddings, and funerals are important to me.  Vacations don't reach that level of importance. 

I could not possibly care less that you are silently judging me as I happily walk past and live rent free in your head, while you aren't even background actor in my world. The idea of you sitting at a table seething at me while I don't even notice you is comical. You're going to get riled up on vacation over this? When I go to Norway and Alaska I'll be in pants.  When I go to St. Maarten and Cozumel, I won't. Accept it for what it is. I won't change your opinions and you won't change mine. I'm relaying my factual onboard experience, you're taking it as an invation to talk down to me. Why would I care or want to impress a person that acts like that? 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 4