MDR clothing options

MF40

Boarded the Reflection yesterday, everything is great and the staff are fantastic. 

One observation though. I know it was first night and all that but couldn’t get over how many men were wearing shorts in the MDR. 

What do people think, is this the way forward on Celebrity or just another standard slipping?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, MF40 said:

Boarded the Reflection yesterday, everything is great and the staff are fantastic. 

One observation though. I know it was first night and all that but couldn’t get over how many men were wearing shorts in the MDR. 

What do people think, is this the way forward on Celebrity or just another standard slipping?

One of our regrets is Celebrity not enforcing it's own rules.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MF40 said:

In our experience on Celebrity dress is more casual in the Caribbean and Alaska, more formal in the Med and from Southampton….It would not surprise me if dress improves tomorrow night. Many guests will have had long flights, possible delays with luggage delivery etc.

Staff are also instructed to be tolerant first night because of the above, guests may be quietly reminded  tonight.

To be honest, how others dress doesn’t particularly bother me as long as my family meets my standards!

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MF40 said:

I think this is just life.  People don't dress like they used to.  You see shorts in first class and kid you not shower caps and fuzzy slippers in all classes.  People don't dress up for overnight trains, personally I will not wear shorts in the diner for dinner, that is just the way I was brought up.  You see shorts and t shirts in church now.  While I am happy to see people attending, I refuse to wear shorts to church.  I grew up in a day when you wore a three piece suit to church in Houston with 98 degrees 98%.  People don't dress up for the opera, symphony, or theater anymore.  I have gone to a nice Japanese Steak House in Hollywood up ontop of the hills an people were in shorts and t-shirt.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MF40 said:

I can say that Reflection did not enforce the dress code in the MDR on the July 4 cruise.  Shorts were not common in the MDR, but you'd certainly see a number of people wearing them every night.  

Personally I don't care all that much, but as a committed rule-follower, I wish cruise lines would either enforce the rules or just change them.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MF40 said:

We were on several Celebrity cruises this year and didn’t see any shorts in the MDR. Not sure it’s a trend. Could be that many on your cruise had not received their luggage in time for dinner 

• Like 2

If it was anything like our first night in the MDR on the Millennium three weeks ago where we showed up in tee shirts and shorts, the casual dress at dinner may have been due for some to a total screw up in cabin assignments (booked cabins taken for quarantine purposes and the new cabins were not acceptable). 

We did not have cabins until 5:30 PM and luggage until several hours later.

• Like 1

On our recent Solstice sailing (7/1) we had folks yelling off the balconies, smoking pot in their staterooms, endlessly slamming doors, coughing & sneezing as they pleased**,  leaving overflowing trays of room service trays for others to step over, doing laps in a crowded Solarium pool, crowding the hot tubs with 5, 6, 7 people (where is says capacity of 3), soooooooooo... we were happy that folks were clothed to come into the dining room!

That being said...on the first night of the cruise there tends to be a more casual dress code because folks have been travelling and may not have their luggage yet etc... On the last night the dress may be more casual because folks have packed up.

**About the coughing & sneezing...there was a lot of this along with the loud claim of "It's Allergies"! It was disgusting! **

Edited by RollWave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, RollWave said:

On our recent Solstice sailing (7/1) we had folks yelling off the balconies, smoking pot in their staterooms, endlessly slamming doors, coughing & sneezing as they pleased**,  leaving overflowing trays of room service trays for others to step over, doing laps in a crowded Solarium pool, crowding the hot tubs with 5, 6, 7 people (where is says capacity of 3),

Were they at a convention , or, maybe a political rally for ( can't make political statements on CC). 

In all our cruises with Celebrity we never saw behavior like that.

I imagine they would be the same types described as " Slobs at the buffet " , the " I'll wear what I want and could care less what the dress code requests ",  "heckle" a comedian during his/her performance at will----- and wear their baseball hat with the peak facing backwards.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

MDR clothing optional??

If you’re ever on a cruise with Alejandro as the cruise director ask him about the time he was CD on a cruise where clothing was not optional.

On 7/16/2022 at 2:03 AM, MF40 said:

On the 6/24 reflection cruise, I noticed the same thing, but kept my standard of dress going 👗. It was our teen daughter’s first cruise and we told her “Don’t worry about what other people are wearing. It is better to be dressed nicely than to be underdressed”. 

To note - we had three chic nights for a 10-day and were only expecting 2.

After spending a week in Rome before the cruise, my daughter and I began to run out of outfits. We had an impromptu fashion makeover in our cabin where we were trying on outfits, trying to figure out what to wear, and she put on one of my white dresses that was so big on her, it was dragging on the ground. She declared herself “The greek goddess of Opus” and we are still calling her that to this day! ☺️

We loved Opus and ate there every single night. Service was excellent!! Ask to sit in one of Arsapha’s tables. He makes you feel like royalty, 

Enjoy every moment! ❤️

41 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

On the 6/24 reflection cruise, I noticed the same thing, but kept my standard of dress going 👗. It was our teen daughter’s first cruise and we told her “Don’t worry about what other people are wearing. It is better to be dressed nicely than to be underdressed”. 

I'm more of the opinion "Don't worry about what others are wearing.  Be yourself and be comfortable."

Yes, weddings, funerals, major events, dress appropriately.  A 7 hour flight in economy seats?  Dinner on vacation?  I'd like to be comfortable.  I don't see how someone wearing shorts and a shirt ruins anything for anyone unless they let it.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Were they at a convention , or, maybe a political rally for ( can't make political statements on CC). 

In all our cruises with Celebrity we never saw behavior like that.

I imagine they would be the same types described as " Slobs at the buffet " , the " I'll wear what I want and could care less what the dress code requests ",  "heckle" a comedian during his/her performance at will----- and wear their baseball hat with the peak facing backwards.

No idea! It was a strange week regarding the passengers!

To be fair the poor behavior was not only on the ship it was in port too! In Skagway a passenger from one of the Princess ships was totally dressing down a teenage worker in one of the visitor centers - she was a greeter and did not immediately know the answer to the questions. The Princess passenger started screaming at her to "Call Brandon - Call Brandon - Call Brandon - he is as useless as you"

On 7/16/2022 at 2:03 AM, MF40 said:

Are you posting now from the ship? 

2 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

I'm more of the opinion "Don't worry about what others are wearing.  Be yourself and be comfortable."

I don't see how someone wearing shorts and a shirt ruins anything for anyone unless they let it.

"Capital City John "--- You are correct ----- but, but, ---- two questions .

1--Don't you think we should all follow the rules, guidelines , etc that the Cruise Line requests ?

2--Is it so hard to put on a clean shirt and pair of pants on a Chic Night ?

We all know that the Staff are too intimidated to enforce the rules in case ( ?? ) they offend a long time Celebrity customer---

I asked a Staff member about it when I noticed a slob heading into the MDR on a Chic Night.

Her answer was "It's easier for me to look the other way. Let a higher ranked Officer do it ".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

"Capital City John "--- You are correct ----- but, but, ---- two questions .

1--Don't you think we should all follow the rules, guidelines , etc that the Cruise Line requests ?

2--Is it so hard to put on a clean shirt and pair of pants on a Chic Night ?

We all know that the Staff are too intimidated to enforce the rules in case ( ?? ) they offend a long time Celebrity customer---

I asked a Staff member about it when I noticed a slob heading into the MDR on a Chic Night.

Her answer was "It's easier for me to look the other way. Let a higher ranked Officer do it ".

I don't disagree and my wife and I are rule followers. 

I just question the mentality of 'if you don't dress in a tux, you're a slob.'  And yes I know not everyone says that exactly. 

Times change and sometimes I agree things are too casual but it's not a bad thing to go a bit lighter. 

Still, we are packing for the rules.  Though given we are trying to get all our clothes for this cruise into carry-on's only, the less clothes we need the better lol

• Like 2

my reflection on this topic: we are happy that you served in the armed forces and we are glad that you have a favorite ball club, but please dont be rude and wear the hats  in the dining room..Leave them in the room or wear them outdoors but not in the dining areas.....It is just a matter of having some class..just sayin"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2