MDR clothing options

MF40

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

What would you wear to a funeral in the Caribbean?

You're reaching, but you're civil at least.

I would wear whatever is culturally appropriate to the region/religious services.

In no way does any cruise ship dining room form an apt comparison to a milestone event like a funeral or wedding.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I hope that little episode made you feel better at least. I can't believe you took the time to offer such nonsense "suggestions". 

I wear pants for paychecks, weddings, and funerals. Not on hot weather Caribbean vacation.

There's no light way to put this:  Cruise ship MDR's just are not all that great, I don't feel the need to participate in being someone elses background actor. Everyone has a reason for how they spend time with their loved ones. If dressing up makes you feel good about yourself, go right ahead. If putting me down makes you feel good about yourself, well, you're not the kind of person whose opinion would matter to me. I don't operate that way. 

It’s Not hot in the MDR, or inside the ship,  or out on deck I’d say 98% of the time when the ship is underway. And good light ‘pants’ are what many wear. 

Try another excuse…..such as I’ll just wear what I want which is a better reason instead of such silliness. 

Den

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

In no way does any cruise ship dining room form an apt comparison to a milestone event like a funeral or wedding.  

I don't disagree at all.

How about removing your shoes in a Japanese household? Or covering your shoulders or knees when entering a Catholic Church in Italy? Or maybe a restaurant that requires jackets to be worn by men? By no means are these a milestone events--you're simply entering the premises. Where exactly do you draw the line at disrespecting your host?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't disagree at all.

How about removing your shoes in a Japanese household? Or covering your shoulders or knees when entering a Catholic Church in Italy? Or maybe a restaurant that requires jackets to be worn by men? By no means are these a milestone events--you're simply entering the premises. Where exactly do you draw the line at disrespecting your host?

1. Yes, sure. 

2. Yes, sure. 

3. I wouldn't go to a land based restaurant with a jacket required policy; my wife would refuse to partake as well. Not important to us to spend money on. 

8 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

It’s Not hot in the MDR, or inside the ship,  or out on deck I’d say 98% of the time when the ship is underway. And good light ‘pants’ are what many wear. 

Try another excuse…..such as I’ll just wear what I want which is a better reason instead of such silliness. 

Den

I find it to be hot, not cold. But that's just me. If you find it to be cold, perhaps a sweater for an ABC cruise would suffice. 

I prefer to wear golf shorts over slacks, and will. It's not an excuse, it's just the way it is.

I have never been turned away on a cruise ship, nor has my wife. I'll take that risk on a cruise ship. 

Edited by LMaxwell

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

while you aren't even background actor in my world.

" background actor "---- What's that ?

Any comment on post #22 and/or 29 re '' Chic " night dress guideline ?

You do seem like a " reasonable " person, so, why make it difficult for Staff ?

Forget the " It's my right " BS--- Be a " sport " --- follow the guidelines --- It doesn't show " weakness " on your part.

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

3. I wouldn't go to a land based restaurant with a jacket required policy; my wife would refuse to partake as well. Not important to us to spend money on.

Fair enough. This is a principled stance. You don't think it's hyprocritical to enter a cruise ship dining room and defy their dress code policy given your own principles? Shouldn't you simply refuse to enter the MDR the same way? On principle?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

" background actor "---- What's that ?

Any comment on post #22 and/or 29 re '' Chic " night dress guideline ?

You do seem like a " reasonable " person, so, why make it difficult for Staff ?

Forget the " It's my right " BS--- Be a " sport " --- follow the guidelines --- It doesn't show " weakness " on your part.

Background actor is a term used to describe how others see their cruise vacation; every night in the MDR is the final 1st class meal on the Titanic to them. Me not doing what they want spoils their fantasy. They expect everyone to be a "sport" about it in their mind. If I worn linen pants and a polo shirt they'd still be irked because it's not at "their level". The reality is the ambience, atmosphere, service, and great food has moved to speciality dining; the MDR is just "included" now. I just am not impressed enough to do anything more than I would do at home when dining out in a cruise ship main dining room.  

I didn't realize this was a conversation of strengths of weaknesses. I don't take compliance as a sign of weakness. I take compliance with nonsense as nonsense. 

Mind you for the first 20 years that I cruised I would typically wear a suit on formal nights, get the portraits done, etc. Heck, even have paid for tux rentals back when that was in fashion. Tastes have changed and I'm just not interested anymore. 

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Fair enough. This is a principled stance. You don't think it's hyprocritical to enter a cruise ship dining room and defy their dress code policy given your own principles? Shouldn't you simply refuse to enter the MDR the same way? On principle?

No. They are dress guidelines, not hard rules. Just like there is no requirement to participate in White Night in order to be served your dinner. It's a guideline, a theme. Dress suggestions are themes. If they want to make them rules and kicks us out, they can. Not a single cruise line has. But they can. I can separate important life events and once in a lifetime cultural experiences from mass market vacations on floating resorts. There's a difference, but it exists in grey area. Many people on this forum only view it as black and white. There's literally no answer I can provide that will appease them short of 'I will blindly comply', which i'm not going to do. I think you are affording me too much credit saying I wouldn't go to a jackets required restaurant as a principled stance.  I am not taking a principled stance, I am just choosing not to spend money on things that are not important to me.

It's, again, in the grey.  Much like my hair. 

Edited by LMaxwell

Ok just an update after 3 nights. Second night was chic night, everyone wearing long threads (so the suggestion this is something to do with half the male guests losing their luggage is moot). Some dressed more chic than others but that’s to be expected 

Last night (night 3), I’d say about 30% of men in shorts. Most in tailored shorts. 

One gent I spotted wearing flip flops

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:32 AM, danv3 said:

I can say that Reflection did not enforce the dress code in the MDR on the July 4 cruise.  Shorts were not common in the MDR, but you'd certainly see a number of people wearing them every night.  

Personally I don't care all that much, but as a committed rule-follower, I wish cruise lines would either enforce the rules or just change them.  

So they were wearing shorts at night or wearing shorts in the dining room? Shorts in the dining room sure, it's a no-no but shorts in the evening seems perfectly reasonable.

37 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

So they were wearing shorts at night or wearing shorts in the dining room? Shorts in the dining room sure, it's a no-no but shorts in the evening seems perfectly reasonable.

Sorry, my post was sort of unclear.  What I meant was that a decent number of people (say, 10% maybe) were wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner throughout the cruise (not limited to night one).

10 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

They expect everyone to be a "sport" about it in their mind. If I worn linen pants and a polo shirt they'd still be irked because it's not at "their level".

Mind you for the first 20 years that I cruised I would typically wear a suit on formal nights, get the portraits done, etc.

Your reply is very fair, to the point , non-negotiable , so, no argument from me.

My thoughts in all this " baloney " over a friggin  pair of pants and clean shirt :

Because the Cruise Line requests a pair of pants and a clean shirt on what they call " Chic Night " --- 

No big deal--- no thought to " buck the system "---- I just put 'em on --- end of story.

I also wore a suit " years " ago--- now, I don't bring a suit, sport jacket , and my tuxedo --- forget it !!

About the portraits--- We have a junk drawer filled with " beautiful " photos of --- I assume it's me , no, can't be--- yup, it is--- with Captains, Waiters, and even the guy in the shop that sold me a beautiful Rolex watch for $ 75 ( originally $125 )----- but still shows the time at 1.14.

The same guy had a " deal " for us on a " genuine " emerald  , Lacoste golf shirts, etc, etc.

11 hours ago, RichYak said:

I don't disagree at all.

So now we're equating guidelines for the MDR on Celebrity with the dress code at the Vatican?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

So now we're equating guidelines for the MDR on Celebrity with the dress code at the Vatican?

It was just an example - many places have dress codes from the Vatican to the main dining room.

18 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Clutch pearls, then inhale smelling salts... what is the world coming to?

I don't see how someone else chooses to dress impacts the quality of your vacation? They paid the same fare as you did, perhaps even more.  They should be entitled to enjoy themselves as they see fit.

Celebrity has a stated dress code..if it doesn’t fit someone’s needs, they should find a line that does. 

this a copy and paste from Celebrity website FAQ

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Celebrity has a stated dress code..if it doesn’t fit someone’s needs, they should find a line that does. 

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

I saw much more casual wear in the theater than the dining room. A lot of people rush back after dinner to change for evening activities. This was for the 9pm shows. Maybe the 7pm was different. Its impossible to see every person on a ship. 

In reading this thread, the best advise that comes to mind was written by Shakespeare 500+ years ago..."Much Ado About Nothing."

I follow the policy suggestions for dress. If Celebrity does not care to enforce policies, I am NOT in a position to do it for them.( For that matter, neither is anyone else).

Now, if you come into the MDR loud, obnoxious, and inebriated, I will approach staff to come talk to you. THAT does bother me.

• Like 1

I was surprised on the casual dress and shorts on edge last July, didn’t see shorts in Luminae in the evening. But people were definitely dressed better than recent rccl cruise. I guess times are a changing.

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

One thing that bothers me about cruising these days are all the pretentious people who like to delude themselves that they're still living in the gilded age of travel while sailing on a mass market cruise ship.  There are certainly luxury lines that still appeal to this type of dress code adherence... perhaps those people would find a better fit there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had no idea that people got this mad about what other people wore to dinner.

I'll put on a button down and a pair of pants, but I'm not tucking it in or wearing a jacket to dinner on a cruise ship.

If someone else wants to wear something else, I can't imagine myself feeling affected by their choice.

I think good manners are more important than what someone is wearing.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3