CDC Issues The New Guidance for Cruise Ships on the Mitigation and Management of COVID-19

Last night CDC posted the new guidance which replaced the "voluntary" compliance program they suddenly ended on July 18.  This is the document Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines have been waiting for since Monday, the one they will reference to adjust current Covid requirements.  You can read it here: Guidance for Cruise Ships on the Mitigation and Management of COVID-19

Edited by Anton
spelling

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

We'll see what happens.  They are still suggesting pre-cruise testing AND testing on b2b's

Yup still looks like testing is where this is heading.No change.

Cruise ships are a densely populated congregated different then most on land settings.

People on here don't want to believe that but it is true.

That continues to be the CDC view on cruising.

Seems if you don't like how the cruiselines have been handling recently you better get used to it. No change.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

Once the CDC started to actually talk with the cruise lines there has been back channel communication that isn't made public.  What we don't know is what they are now saying to the cruise lines despite public "guidance" suggesting it's now up to the cruise lines. 

Once the major lines start announcing changes we'll get to see how similar or different each line will be.  Time will tell.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Seems if you don't like how the cruiselines have been handling recently you better get used to it. No change.

This is your opinion.  nothing is definite yet.

Edited by crazyank
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Anton said:

Last night CDC posted the new guidance which replaced the "voluntary" compliance program they suddenly ended on July 18. 

Surprise, the new "guidance" looks very much like the discontinued guidance. Oh, how wonderful to have a gov't job that requires rehashing old ides to make them sound new.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, molly361 said:

We'll see what happens.  They are still suggesting pre-cruise testing AND testing on b2b's

Yes, that stuck out to me too.  Plus the "highly recommended" testing one day prior to boarding.   If the cruise lines followed this document verbatim we'd have more restrictive policies than currently in place.  I suspect we'll see 3 day testing as the norm but the ball is in the cruise line's hands now to do whatever protocol adjustments they want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Surprise, the new "guidance" looks very much like the discontinued guidance. Oh, how wonderful to have a gov't job that requires rehashing old ides to make them sound new.

I spent 30 years working at a federal agency, in fact writing procedures to implement federal laws.  So I know the drill well.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I was going to say that but I honestly never studied the previous "suggestions" or recommendations whatever they were called then

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Once the CDC started to actually talk with the cruise lines there has been back channel communication that isn't made public.  What we don't know is what they are now saying to the cruise lines despite public "guidance" suggesting it's now up to the cruise lines. 

Once the major lines start announcing changes we'll get to see how similar or different each line will be.  Time will tell.  

I would think that they will all fall in line with basically the same protocols

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I would think that they will all fall in line with basically the same protocols

Some lines have different demographics.  Some lines have been known to not care as much.

Before they all got slapped into the conformity we know today Carnival didn't require masks while Royal did (August 2021).  That only changed when the CDC saw they had no intention of following guidance.  They didn't do test cruises either while Royal did.

Now we will get to see the true colors of each line assuming they truly are free to set their own policies.  I bet the legal departments at each line are burning the midnight oil.  They will have more potential exposure now if they are creating their policies.  Some lines may be willing to be exposed more than others.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yep…must be approaching ‘yearly performance review’ time.

14 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Yep…must be approaching ‘yearly performance review’ time.

A key factor in government performance bonuses and end of fiscal year pay raises is "it's not what you've done for us over the past year, it's what you've done for us lately".  I lose that battle more than once at TVA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Royal stopped b2b testing a couple of months ago, so that just shows they can make suggestions, but they aren't rules.

• Like 2

Just now, Anton said:

A key factor in government performance bonuses and end of fiscal year pay raises is "it's not what you've done for us over the past year, it's what you've done for us lately".  I lose that battle more than once at TVA.

Well,  performance bonuses and fiscal year pay raises are two separate "buckets".  Performance bonuses come out of the annual budget and each agency determines how it's spread out among offices who then determine how they're going to give it out.  Fiscal year raises are determined by the budget approved by Congress (supposedly) each year and is an across the board % regardless of any action.    I'm a retired Fed employee (25 years).  I've also seen how really good managers handle bonuses vs lousy managers.  I've had some really excellent management.  Although, I've also seen managers "directed" to award them in a particular way.

Yes testing is a big PIA but, In all honesty, keeping testing does not cost Royal anything other than refunding those who testing positive in the first place.  They would rather refund them through pre cruise testing then, having even larger numbers of covid circulating, overloading medical with testing and treatment even in minor cases, using large sections of the ship for quarantining, providing extra manpower to clean, deliver food etc, and having to re route ships in case of extreme emergency.

Right now most ships are sailing at capacity, so the testing isn't blocking too many people from going on cruises and those people who do not want to test they are filling rooms with those that are willing to test.  

When schools are back in session, then they may look at the drop of capacity and re visit the testing requirements.  Once they drop those requirements, it would be very difficult to bring them back.

• Like 1

Dropping test in the near term is not likely going to generate new bookings for close in sail dates.  

Dropping testing for cruises that depart 45 to 90 days away will directly impact new bookings.  

It will be interesting to see what they do.  They know that testing is universally loathed by most.  

Who will be the first line to make an announcement?  Royal is not usually first at these things.  Often they are last.  Let the competition make the first step and see how it went for them.  

• Like 1

Looks similar to before, just a lot of "shoulds" and "highly recommended"

The highly recommended testing 1 day prior is just laughable in terms of feasibility. It would really deter a lot of people from cruising I think, so I doubt they will change the 2-3 days before sailing testing requirement to 1 day. 

We'll see what the impact on stock prices with this detailed communication.  Stock performance has been pretty good over the last 3 session and IMO based on the original summary guideance.

• Like 1

It's disappointing at how expensive and annoying it is to get a test in the US.   I went to Germany twice when you still needed a negative test to fly back to the US.  Both times, I made an appointment same day at a location a few blocks away from our hotel.   No waiting, took about 3 minutes each time, and results were back in half an hour.  Also, no charge, even for non-residents.  

Self tests were available for about 2 to 3 euros pretty much everywhere - like, baskets of them sitting out in grocery stores.  This was crazy to me back when we were hoarding our few at home tests we had!