CDC Issues The New Guidance for Cruise Ships on the Mitigation and Management of COVID-19

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Stock performance has been pretty good over the last 3 session and IMO based on the original summary guidance.

Unlikely any CDC pronouncement will move things much - overall market moves and more importantly, cruise line finances (like the Carnival offering yesterday) will move the stock.

11 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Looks similar to before, just a lot of "shoulds" and "highly recommended"

The highly recommended testing 1 day prior is just laughable in terms of feasibility. It would really deter a lot of people from cruising I think, so I doubt they will change the 2-3 days before sailing testing requirement to 1 day. 

If the CDC didn't mandate 1 day testing before, there's no way any cruise line would do it voluntarily now.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, polabear said:

It's disappointing at how expensive and annoying it is to get a test in the US.   I went to Germany twice when you still needed a negative test to fly back to the US.  Both times, I made an appointment same day at a location a few blocks away from our hotel.   No waiting, took about 3 minutes each time, and results were back in half an hour.  Also, no charge, even for non-residents.  

how interesting. My boss went to Germany a couple of months ago and had to pay 30 euros for each of the 2 covid tests that were required.

Whereas we tested for free at CVS and Walgreens for 2.5 years (GA).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how interesting. My boss went to Germany a couple of months ago and had to pay 30 euros for each of the 2 covid tests that were required.

Whereas we tested for free at CVS and Walgreens for 2.5 years (GA).

He might have gotten PCR tests.  You do have to pay for those to come back within 24 hours.  The antigen tests were free, which the airlines and the US/UK accepts.  We just made appointments and used our hotel address.  

I know one of my colleagues thought a PCR was required and paid a lot for the rapid results.  

It wouldn’t surprise me if the 1 day testing “highly recommended” was added as a bone for CDC staff who disagreed with ending the previous program.  That item is a non-starter and won’t go beyond the paper it’s printed on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Anton said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the 1 day testing “highly recommended” was added as a bone for CDC staff who disagreed with ending the previous program.  That item is a non-starter and won’t go beyond the paper it’s printed on.

It just shows how out of touch the CDC can be with real life situations. AND giving the cruiselines these "highly recommended" guidelines where some of them are really unachievable...and they know that and put it in there anyway...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

We'll see what happens.  They are still suggesting pre-cruise testing AND testing on b2b's

Interestingly they seem to be allowing self testing.  Scroll down a bit to see that possibility.   

42 minutes ago, polabear said:

It's disappointing at how expensive and annoying it is to get a test in the US.   I went to Germany twice when you still needed a negative test to fly back to the US.  Both times, I made an appointment same day at a location a few blocks away from our hotel.   No waiting, took about 3 minutes each time, and results were back in half an hour.  Also, no charge, even for non-residents.  

Self tests were available for about 2 to 3 euros pretty much everywhere - like, baskets of them sitting out in grocery stores.  This was crazy to me back when we were hoarding our few at home tests we had!

Same experience for us in Munich in May.  Free and very efficient.

7 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Looks like testing will go. Maybe they'll leave it in place for unnvaccinated passenger (at this point, that's childeren under 12).

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Interestingly they seem to be allowing self testing.  Scroll down a bit to see that possibility.   

If it's proctored just like now

• Ships that allow travelers to use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test), may consider the following criteria:
    • The test is a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the relevant national authority where the test is administered.
    • The testing procedure includes a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
    • The telehealth provider confirms the person’s identity, observes the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirms the test result, and issues a report that meets the information requirements listed below.
    • Cruise ship operators can review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details.

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

• Ships that allow travelers to use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test), may consider the following criteria:
    • The test is a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the relevant national authority where the test is administered.
    • The testing procedure includes a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
    • The telehealth provider confirms the person’s identity, observes the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirms the test result, and issues a report that meets the information requirements listed below.
    • Cruise ship operators can review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details.

Those bullets are just things to consider, not requirements of pre-cruise testing.

11 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I am halfway expecting a compromise where we bring our self test to the terminal.  Something is going to have to give.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I just emailed this to Michael Bayley😇🤣

Oh you can bet that he and every other cruise line exec knows it.🙂 They’re all watching to see who will blink first. Hopefully this announcement by Virgin gets the ball rolling for the rest. This will help bookings and the cruise lines know it. 

It was easy for VV to make this decision as they only have a couple of ships in service. For the larger cruise lines I’m sure there is more to figure out but hopefully they were working on a plan to execute before the latest CDC announcements. 

1 hour ago, zimmerman said:

Am I deluded in hoping a) it’s ditched b) in time for our cruise in 17 days time.

people tell me I'm deluded wanting pre testing gone by sept when I cruise next.

I'm at not booking unless it's free or pre testing is gone.

• Like 1

Virgin Voyages will remove the requirements for pre-embarkation testing, according to a press release.

Virgin Voyages has responded immediately to the CDC’s decision to discontinue their voluntary COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships and will mirror the rest of the travel industry in removing pre-embarkation testing for sailings from July 24 on EU sailings, and from July 27 on US sailings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Seems if you don't like how the cruiselines have been handling recently you better get used to it. No change.

Virgin just announced no more testing and a reduction vaxxed %

Key changes to know now:

• We’re removing the requirement for a COVID-19 test to board as of 7/24/22 (for Valiant Lady) and 7/27/22 (for Scarlet Lady).
  • We still require the majority (90%) of Sailors be vaccinated. We’re opening up our voyages for a limited number (10%) of unvaccinated Sailors. Please call Sailor Services to check availability.
  • All Crew will still be fully vaccinated.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Speculation is fun, but the reality is that as long as a port of call on a given itinerary requires testing, pre cruise testing will remain in place.

Most ports no longer require testing to enter their country if vaccinated. 

Testing is about to go away.

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Like 2