Do you have breakfast at the restaurant or windjammer

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

From the age of about 8 to about 15 I would spend my summers in Stouffville and Richmond Hill.  I'm originally from Montreal 🤫.  My dad was a golf pro there, Montreal.  He started out in Toronto though, The Toronto Hunt Club.

Nice gig your dad had and you picked the right season to spend in the Toronto area. It would kinda suck in the winter , lol . 

4 minutes ago, loman said:

Nice gig your dad had and you picked the right season to spend in the Toronto area. It would kinda suck in the winter , lol . 

I spent many winters in Montreal.  But, most in Dania, FL

Room service coffee between 7-730 then a shower and head to MDR for breakfast at 8.    I liked their breakfast buffet setup and would skip the menu ordering to speed up the process. Personally not too big on fried foods or carbs in morning. I like the fresh fruits, cheeses, yogurt.  No long lines or scramble for tables of the WJ.  That was pre-covid times. I don't know how breakfast in the MDR is being handled now, hmmm. 

I generally find by 8:30, 8:45 when I am leaving that it is getting crowded and there's a wait at the door, so if I am not ready for breakfast until that time I head to an alternate venue; WJ or Park Cafe if available.  

• Like 1

Ate most breakfasts on Serenade late last year in WJ with some in the MDR. Love the WJ outdoor seating aft. Never ate inside WJ for lunch either. Always sat in the outdoor aft section. The Brilliance class design that allows the option to eat outside suits us best.

We avoided breakfast and lunch on Allure in WJ at all costs. Less variety of food than Serenade and too crowded and enclosed. Depends on the ship really to what you like and can tolerate.  Breakfast in the solarium bistro on Allure was a good choice, but discovered it too late on our last cruise in May. Will only eat there or MDR for breakfast on our next Allure cruise.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, coaster said:

Ate most breakfasts on Serenade late last year in WJ with some in the MDR. Love the WJ outdoor seating aft. Never ate inside WJ for lunch either. Always sat in the outdoor aft section. The Brilliance class design that allows the option to eat outside suits us best.

FYI - Serenade and Brilliance (and Jewel and Radiance) are Radiance class.

BTW, Quantum class, except Odyssey, also has WJ outdoor seating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coaster said:

the option to eat outside suits us best.

Same here!  I always like the option of sitting outside (and I don't mean carrying everything to tables around the pool).  I wish more ships had that option.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

Usually I awake before sunrise, stop by Cafe Promenade and grab a hot Tazo tea, some coffee for the wife, and a few small pastries and take these to the room.  I will then late my sleeping beauty remain in slumber while I head out to the bow of the ship (when I can access it) to watch the sunrise.  Then by that time DW is usually awake and we eat a light breakfast on the balcony, enjoying our morning beverages and the sight and sound of the ocean.  We'll then get dressed, or should I say changed, and head to either WJ or MDR depending on what the day's agenda is.  We have eaten once at JR's which was okay.  I always enjoy the WJ because we both can usually find things we like and things we've never tried before.

Then at the close of the day we do something similar with an evening drink (mine is usually a cold glass of milk) and some desserts we bring back to the stateroom before turning in...very relaxing,  Can't wait for February 2023 for our next adventure!

• Like 1

I have not been on a ship since March 7th 2020; but in the 34 cruises I have completed I think I have eaten breakfast in the MDR less than 10 times at most and that was early in my cruising. My wife and I concluded early on that the buffets of the three lines we sailed had a better selection and we could get the individual items we wanted, not what came as part of a menu item, for breakfast; or seconds on a given item easily if we wanted more.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 6:37 AM, JOHN 57 said:

we are sailing 15 August aboard Grandeur of the Seas.  I was wondering where you have breakfast.  I have breakfast in the restaurant and prefer looking out the window at the open sea.  Restaurant opens 0730 and my wife gets up later, but I go for breakfast.  On the first day hoping for eggs benedict, lots of bacon, fruit, tomato juice, grits, and coffee.  Where would you dine for breakfast.

Hi, John 57,

We have cruised with Costa, Royal and HAL. We have always used the buffet because of the variety of food. We sit by the windows of which there are plenty. We get to know the staff as we try to sit in the same area every morning. They get to know our morning drink passions and bring it without having to ask. After a couple of days of good service, I usually give a cash tip. we never sail less than 10 or 11 days and up to 17 or 18 days. On our next cruise, Anthem of the Seas in October 2023 (transatlantic) we may try the Solarium Buffet as I hear it is less busy.

Jim

Last two cruises (post lockdown) I've been offered free room service breakfast.  Totally worth it.  I get a whole pot of coffee in a thermal jug.  I can sit all morning enjoying the sun on the balcony sipping coffee and picking away at breakfast.  Two port calls were early 7AM departures, so no worries about Windjammer crowds or MDR opening times.  I hope this is something RCL continues.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

She's a Gurly Girl. Born about 30 miles west of Athens

Those eyes , looks like she means business .  She could lead the Bulldog Defense onto the field .😄

She`s a beauty !

• Thanks 1

On our last 3 night cruise, we only ate at the windjammer for breakfast. we had the unlimited drink package so we sat by the bar and had mimosas and bloody marys. we meant to order room service but never did. the ship was only at 30% capacity so we had a window seat every time. Never had the chance to try the main dining room, but we may do that on our next cruise in Feb. 

1 hour ago, gmerick said:

Last two cruises (post lockdown) I've been offered free room service breakfast.  Totally worth it.  I get a whole pot of coffee in a thermal jug.  I can sit all morning enjoying the sun on the balcony sipping coffee and picking away at breakfast.  Two port calls were early 7AM departures, so no worries about Windjammer crowds or MDR opening times.  I hope this is something RCL continues.

We've been offered free continental breakfast, but  for anything else there was a $7.95 room service fee.   How did you get offered free room service?  Were you in a suite? Key? or simply lucky?  

M