WHY the big goal to become Pinacle ?? ..

2 hours ago, Moltar said:

The real question is why the pins worn all week. Get over yourself. I have a story about a Pinnacle encounter this past week on Oasis....

Because it gets you things. Plain and simple.

Please share this encounter, though

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Reijo said:

My husband and I are Diamond Plus and based on our ages, I seriously doubt we’ll make Pinnacle.  There is so little difference between the two and WiFi would be my only interest.  For the life of me, I don’t understand WHY internet is so expensive…and going up almost yearly.  Some ships have FREE internet.  I suppose it’s just a money maker for RCCL.  More and more people work from ships and need the coverage….I just think it should be more affordable for a product that isn’t always that fast.  Once Starlink goes on every ship, we won’t be able to afford it!

I am curious why you think Starlink will make internet more expensive?  Generally, with improvements in technology the prices are reduced.  

You can probably hook up your own starlink receiver on your balcony.🤣  They have the RV version now, and it is a bargain compared to other satelite offerings.  

On 8/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, yogimax said:

The real "problem" for the double points isn't new Pinnacles, it's new Diamonds which may force RCCL to change their C&A program.   Think about it, 8 free drinks per couple per day.  That's 56 free drinks every 7 night cruise.  That's a big financial hit in cost and income lost for RCCL.

We sailed on Symphony last January as Diamond for the first time.  Neither of us is a big drinker but we sure enjoyed the free drinks even if we never used all 8 vouchers any day.  I wanted a BBC the entire cruise but whenever I requested one, the bar didn't have any bananas.  There may be another cruise this fall and I plan to grab a banana from the buffet every day and keep it handy!

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, HicksRA said:

That’s a fact. It has kept me exclusive to Royal (foolishly or not). I know I would have bounced all over the other lines if not for those stinkin points…. 🤔

Our Diamond status was a combo of Celebrity and Royal points accumulated over 25+ years!  Putting 2 kids through college and 2 weddings cut into our cruise funds.  Now we kid free and retired and I am hoping we can work 2 cruises/year into our "schedule". LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am curious why you think Starlink will make internet more expensive?  Generally, with improvements in technology the prices are reduced.  

Because it will perform much better so Royal can use that to market it at a higher price.

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

You can probably hook up your own starlink receiver on your balcony.🤣  They have the RV version now, and it is a bargain compared to other satelite offerings.  

At $130 per month for the RV version I don't see many folks trying to bring Dishy along with them.  

But ... once Starlink enters the mobile phone service provider game using their LEO satellites, that could be a game changer on a cruise, at least while standing on the top deck.  

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I just saw that. No fixed address required to use it. One of our neighbors is selling the RV kit on Nextdoor for $400 because they have now received the home-based service. Interesting. :classic_biggrin:

21 hours ago, SpekiTrout said:

I WILL check ... such insanity !!!  We'll take our TWO free D+ pics ... (if that's even a D+ 'gift' anymore) and be on our merry ole way!!   I still like our very first professional photo best from our 1988 Song of Norway to Bermuda Cruise anyway.  "Almost" .. kinda sorta .. maybe  looks like us today!

Yes, a free photograph is still a benefit  for D+, as well as diamond members. 

m

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Because it will perform much better so Royal can use that to market it at a higher price.

At $130 per month for the RV version I don't see many folks trying to bring Dishy along with them.  

But ... once Starlink enters the mobile phone service provider game using their LEO satellites, that could be a game changer on a cruise, at least while standing on the top deck.  

Voom is what 20 bucks per device per day.  Sometimes more sometimes less.  One device a week will pay for the month.  The other 3 weeks cruising are gravy.  Plus think of the savings on the 4 device plan, and the convenience!  🤪

jc

• Like 1

Just now, xpcdoojk said:

Voom is what 20 bucks per device per day.  Sometimes more sometimes less.  One device a week will pay for the month.  The other 3 weeks cruising are gravy.  Plus think of the savings on the 4 device plan, and the convenience!  🤪

jc

Heck sell it to other cabins! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2022 at 1:37 AM, topnole said:

You are pinnacle, so there obviously isn’t any need for you to do anything other than enjoy your newscastle in the SL when you decide to cruise. 😀😀.  🍺

But I’m sure many d/d+ are cranking out cruises to get to pinnacle and enjoy that free internet and SL with you.  One would hope Royal has done the math on this, or benefits at many levels may have to change.  Only so many pinnacles can’t fit in a suite lounge for example.  

Just to point out ..As more pinnacles arrive on the scene ,  that there will also always be some "Áging out"

Kind of a "Circle of Cruising" thing ... It is Inevitable

Royal already figured out the “only so many” can fit in the lounges - - now there are vouchers.  Prior to vouchers we would go to a lounge just for a drink or two — even if the drink was a bottle of water or a Coke.  On our last 10 trips we never went into a lounge — unless it was for a morning coffee or for just a quiet place to sit during the day.  No happy hour for us.  The benefits for Diamond, Diamond + and Pinnacle are far superior on Royal than other lines, IMHO.  We enjoy the private breakfast, early on, early off, officer luncheon (which the last few have included filet and lobster) and of course the internet - which use to access my home tv provider.  About wearing the pins - I don’t see the need (for me) on embarkation day but I do wear it on the Crown and Anchor day and for the Officer luncheon. DH never wears his — he is just not a jewelry person.  For those who wear their pins all the time — good for them.  My pin is the most expensive piece of jewelry I own so if I feel like wearing it I will.   

I do agree that some Pinnacles and other levels are aging out. I know a number of frequent cruisers who are no longer sailing.

3 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I love entrepreneurship!  RCI not so much.  😆😂

Forget Cigars Under The Stars, enter Starlink under the Stars.  

Get one of those credit card dongles that plugs into a smartphone and charge folks on the spot.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Forget Cigars Under The Stars, enter Starlink under the Stars.  

Get one of those credit card dongles that plugs into a smartphone and charge folks on the spot.  

Bring a mini projector and broadcast sporting events, Yellowstone, etc...

#ultimateworldcruise

Edited by John&LaLa

On 8/7/2022 at 2:04 PM, SpekiTrout said:
I have a question .. and please know I am not attempting to start WWIII ... just truly interested. Why is the desire of so many to become Pinacle?? Not being wise or fresh .. purely curious. btw . my husband and I have been Diamond Plus since the program began .. and we're happy where we are .. and have points that could very well make us Pinacle in the near future but that's not our goal. The perks of Diamond Plus are really not much different when Pinacle is reached. I see so many here stirivng for Pinacle and I truly do not understand the 'whys' ...do tell!!  Thank you!!  This was from my post on FB where I first asked .. thanks!

We’ve enjoyed carnival Ncl celebrity RCL Princess one HAL too. Over 50 cruises and I recently met the nicest pinnacle couple from Montreal, absolutely lovely couple of ladies. Other than that I have seen the flouting of the status on the crew. Hopefully we’ll keep it real and enjoy all that life offers including the loyalty benefits of Ncl celebrity RCL and Princess, maybe even HAL when we get older. I don’t get the pinnacle chase? Many are pineapples 🍍 

34 Comments

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Because it gets you things. Plain and simple.

Please share this encounter, though

So does your sea pass card that says pinnacle member…. I understand it’s natural to want to defend yourself. But the reality is there’s no need to wear the pinnacle pin unless you’re trying to brag because everything you claim to get from the pin all you Gotta do is show em the seapass card

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moltar said:

So does your sea pass card that says pinnacle member…. I understand it’s natural to want to defend yourself. But the reality is there’s no need to wear the pinnacle pin unless you’re trying to brag because everything you claim to get from the pin all you Gotta do is show em the seapass card

Why go thru effort of showing your seapass to ask a question. That's way more pretentious 😉

And once again, the key take away is not ask. Let them offer. If you have to whip out the seapass, its rarely worth it.

BTW, still waiting on your tale of Pinnacle behavior 😇

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1