Cruise cost

UnVrYaN

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And then you have to eat their food.

You get what you pay for...

You wanna argue Oceana is a more pleasant experience than mainstream lines - at least for your tastes - cool. 

But to state as a fact that once you pay for the stuff that’s included on Oceana mainstream lines are “almost always” the same price or higher than Oceana? Nope. 

Edited by wcook
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, wcook said:

You wanna argue Oceana is a more pleasant experience than mainstream lines - at least for your tastes - cool. 

But to state as a fact that once you pay for the stuff that’s included on Oceana mainstream lines are “almost always” the same price or higher than Oceana? Nope. 

Search CC for the multiple examples (with real cruises and real numbers) posted by others. In particular, look at HAL and Celebrity.

18 minutes ago, wcook said:

Thank you!  I always shop around before booking a cruise.  I shop everyone.  Not once...not one single time...has a premium line like Viking, Azamara, Oceania come even close to what I paid (all costs included) for the mass-market cruises I booked.  Not once.  So, for anyone to claim it's almost always close in price is a total farse.  It's a lie to even say it's occasionally.  The proper wording might be "rarely."  

But then there's the question of if it's even worth it?  I would happily pay more for a new experience but to date, nothing about those lines has enticed me enough to pay that much more.  It's not like I'm unhappy with my current cruise choices.  In fact, I'm almost always extremely happy.  That little piece right there seems to be very hard for a particular person to understand.  

• Like 2

It is very easy for those who have been on a few cruises and have basic math to figure the cost of a cruise on a mass market cruise line.  Tips, drinks, optional dining venues.

The reality is everyone's bottom line number will be different based on their preferences and habits.

Not a stretch to compare that number to what one might spend on a premium line. 

Particularly if one is willing to give up a little real estate for an potentially enhanced experience.

Don't be misled by bundling or free this or that.   There is no free lunch.  Or free air fare.  Break it down, compare the cost/benefit, and make a decision.  Of course those numbers and the result will change between itinerary and between ships.   Your number might indicate a HAL or a Celebrity decision, or it could indicate a premium line decision.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a celebrity cruise in a suite coming in November, includes everything, WiFi, drink package, tips and 400 per OBC , they have this for regular cabins also. Love suite lounge and restaurant and outdoor retreat area.

1 hour ago, George C said:

I have a celebrity cruise in a suite coming in November, includes everything, WiFi, drink package, tips and 400 per OBC , they have this for regular cabins also. Love suite lounge and restaurant and outdoor retreat area.

Does it include airfare or air credit for intercontinental multi-city flights? That alone is one of the great bottom line price surprises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, iancal said:

It is very easy for those who have been on a few cruises and have basic math to figure the cost of a cruise on a mass market cruise line.  Tips, drinks, optional dining venues.

The reality is everyone's bottom line number will be different based on their preferences and habits.

Not a stretch to compare that number to what one might spend on a premium line. 

Particularly if one is willing to give up a little real estate for an potentially enhanced experience.

Don't be misled by bundling or free this or that.   There is no free lunch.  Or free air fare.  Break it down, compare the cost/benefit, and make a decision.  Of course those numbers and the result will change between itinerary and between ships.   Your number might indicate a HAL or a Celebrity decision, or it could indicate a premium line decision.  

I may be an outlier on this, but the inclusive alcoholic beverages, whether all inclusive or a package, are not a factor because I simply don't drink that much.   Maybe I should change my habits to make all inclusive more affordable!  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Does it include airfare or air credit for intercontinental multi-city flights? That alone is one of the great bottom line price surprises.

Good point , we booked a rccl ship for November 2023 , one of the reasons is ship leaves from Galveston so much cheaper flight and we could drive it in about 5 hours. Did do a Renaissance cruise in 2001 that did include airfare , rccl used to have deals including airfare .

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Search CC for the multiple examples (with real cruises and real numbers) posted by others. In particular, look at HAL and Celebrity.

Yeah, but there are more lines than HAL and Celebrity.  Then you have to consider that not everyone drinks, eats at the pay restaurants,  or care about the internet.  

13 minutes ago, George C said:

Good point , we booked a rccl ship for November 2023 , one of the reasons is ship leaves from Galveston so much cheaper flight and we could drive it in about 5 hours. Did do a Renaissance cruise in 2001 that did include airfare , rccl used to have deals including airfare .

This is why I constantly urge folks to do the math for a “net daily rate” of ALL costs door-to-door that are required, necessary and optionally desired. So many folks look only at cabin cost and stop their cruise line comparisons there.

These days, four figure multi-city intercontinental coach fares are not uncommon. 

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is why I constantly urge folks to do the math for a “net daily rate” of ALL costs door-to-door that are required, necessary and optionally desired. So many folks look only at cabin cost and stop their cruise line comparisons there.

These days, four figure multi-city intercontinental coach fares are not uncommon. 

We are paying what a normal cabin would cost for our first class fare to Florida this November , almost twice what cost was in the past. Was going to book New York City, first was about 1500 per person. 

10 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Yeah, but there are more lines than HAL and Celebrity.  Then you have to consider that not everyone drinks, eats at the pay restaurants,  or care about the internet.  

My concern about comparison shopping has always been focused on folks who are looking for the total cruise experience in “faraway lands.” 

A four day “drive to” boat ride MIA-MIA (lugging a case of sodas) is not on my radar nor on the radar of the folks I hope will enjoy an “aha! experience” when they do the real math on intercontinental cruising where there are inclusive options with value laden quality (which BTW is why I prefer “premium” rather than “luxury” cruise lines). Likewise,  my recommendations are not generally suited to families with kids in tow (unless it’s school break kid-friendly summer cruises like the Med or Alaska).

I’ve made all this very clear over and over again. And, if it doesn’t fit your profile, you can always just skip my posts.

11 minutes ago, George C said:

We are paying what a normal cabin would cost for our first class fare to Florida this November , almost twice what cost was in the past. Was going to book New York City, first was about 1500 per person. 

Of course! 
Because our preferred cruise line includes air fare or an air credit (often as much as $1500 pp for multi-city intercontinental flights), what some might consider “sticker shock” when first looking at premium cruise line fares begins to soften. Add to that the reality that some TAs who deal almost exclusively with premium/luxury lines often provide substantial amenities ranging from gratuities coverage to commission sharing rebates. On longer/more “expensive” cruises, this too can mean a four figure price discount.

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

One comment. Oceana does not get free airfare from the airlines.  They pay the airlines and they add the costs to the cabin fare. Even with a discount,  you are still paying essentially the same for airfare. 

You seem to think that airfare provided through the cruise line is magically cheaper.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruizergal70 said:

One comment. Oceana does not get free airfare from the airlines.  They pay the airlines and they add the costs to the cabin fare. Even with a discount,  you are still paying essentially the same for airfare. 

You seem to think that airfare provided through the cruise line is magically cheaper.

Agree.  I not find Oceana airfare particularly cheaper but also it was economy with costly upgrades and on the flight of their choice.  Not a fan.  I found this same fault with many land based tour companies. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

DUH! Pay Attention.
Take the air credit- price reduces. Take the TA rebate- price reduces further. Continue the exercise with each required, necessary or OPTIONALLY desired amenity (included with one line/paid on another). Compare the prices and then adjust for difference in quantity/quality that are important to YOU.

If it’s an intercontinental cruise and quality/amenities are important to YOU, you’ll begin to understand why even mass market lines have created a wannabe “ship within a ship.” 
Clearly, this arena/strategy is not good for YOU. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Agree.  I not find Oceana airfare particularly cheaper but also it was economy with costly upgrades and on the flight of their choice.  Not a fan.  I found this same fault with many land based tour companies. 

Just  do not take the airfare from the cruise line

We book our own air  it can work out  with transatlantic cruises  but you need to compare pricing

JMO

38 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just  do not take the airfare from the cruise line

We book our own air  it can work out  with transatlantic cruises  but you need to compare pricing

JMO

That is what I do.  Some lines do offer great deals but not Oceana 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

I may be an outlier on this, but the inclusive alcoholic beverages, whether all inclusive or a package, are not a factor because I simply don't drink that much.

I don't drink much alcohol either, but I still want an "all inclusive" line -- my experience is better with all-inclusive, even if I don't consume as much food or alcohol as others. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If it’s an intercontinental cruise

Just curious… you seems focused on “intercontinental” cruises. Do you just sail trans-Atlantics or are their other itineraries you sail? 

14 minutes ago, wcook said:

Just curious… you seems focused on “intercontinental” cruises. Do you just sail trans-Atlantics or are their other itineraries you sail? 

Interesting statement. 

Though we do occasional transatlantic cruises, our “home territory” is the Pacific and many of our cruises do focus on the Pacific Rim. And we like a good mix of port and sea days. (Recently did 5 weeks ARN-LIS-NYC and, this fall, will do 7 weeks BCN-FCO-MIA. But then it’s back to the Pacific for another 5 weeks SYD-SYD-PPT)

That said, my comments about “intercontinental” cruises are most often in reference to the air transit necessary to get to embarkation and from disembarkation. Why?

It’s the issue of airfare (I think we can all agree that no one in the US is driving to a cruise that begins and/or ends in a country on another continent). On the one hand, it’s that intercontinental air component that is one of the very important factors in making net cruise cost comparisons where cruise line A’s fare includes air and cruise line B’s fare doesn’t.  On the other hand, it’s getting as much as you can out of a single airfare and that means new and/or favorite distant ports where we combine cruise and a land stay at each end.

21 hours ago, ldubs said:

I may be an outlier on this, but the inclusive alcoholic beverages, whether all inclusive or a package, are not a factor because I simply don't drink that much.   Maybe I should change my habits to make all inclusive more affordable!  😁

You're reading my mind!  Over the last two years, for two different reasons, we both almost stopped drinking alcohol.  So we now have drinks packages included with the fare on several upcoming cruises ... so should we go back to our previous habits of guzzling champagne all evening?  My Minnesota upbringing makes it hard to not want 'my money's worth'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Recently did 5 weeks ARN-LIS-NYC and, this fall, will do 7 weeks BCN-FCO-MIA. But then it’s back to the Pacific for another 5 weeks SYD-SYD-PPT

Sounds lovely. Enjoy. And I now get what you mean by an intercontinental cruise. 

Edited by wcook