NCL first to remove ALL vaccine requirements.....

The dominos are falling. NCL just announced that they will remove ALL vaccine requirements unless designated by a port. Currently I believe there are only 3 ports requiring vaccine (Spain, Bahamas, and Canada). Unvaccinated will still need to be tested for the time being. Of course, this information is only relevant to those on the HAL board who are interested in keeping up with changing industry standards overall. There is a possibility HAL could become a niche market and keep strict protocols. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

image.png.99a95132c7c2a3e684c5c94bf4730714.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Given that vaccine and testing requirements haven't prevented a substantial number of passengers from getting COVID on board HAL, I don't think they will or can afford to be a holdout for long if the market follows NCL. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I want to point out that the NCL press release is a bit vague. It is possible they will institute a phase in approach for the unvaccinated like Princess, RCL, Virgin, etc all which allow 10-20% unvaccinated onboard. 

NCL releases their earnings call tomorrow and I suspect the details will be spelled out then.

Regardless, the dominos are falling 🙂

• Like 2

At this time I would not choose to sail on a cruise line that did not require vaccinations, assuming there were others I could choose that do require it.  Whether or not vaccination keeps COVID off ships, I think it is fair to say that it reduces the likelihood of severe disease that could compromise the sailing or the itinerary.

If all ships remove the requirement, I will think twice about continuing to cruise at this time.  I'm cautious by nature -- not saying "never", just want to see what transpires. I don't have to be the first.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

At this time I would not choose to sail on a cruise line that did not require vaccinations, assuming there were others I could choose that do require it.  Whether or not vaccination keeps COVID off ships, I think it is fair to say that it reduces the likelihood of severe disease that could compromise the sailing or the itinerary.

If all ships remove the requirement, I will think twice about continuing to cruise at this time.  I'm cautious by nature -- not saying "never", just want to see what transpires. I don't have to be the first.

I do hope that niche markets emerge for people, like yourself, who wish to only sail with the unvaccinated. It seems to me that HAL would be the most obvious choice of the main stream lines to test this market. I also believe that longer cruises may keep stricter protocols, so you can always elect to sail on longer voyages. I'm a big fan of choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The dominos are falling. NCL just announced that they will remove ALL vaccine requirements unless designated by a port. Currently I believe there are only 3 ports requiring vaccine (Spain, Bahamas, and Canada). Unvaccinated will still need to be tested for the time being. Of course, this information is only relevant to those on the HAL board who are interested in keeping up with changing industry standards overall. There is a possibility HAL could become a niche market and keep strict protocols. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

image.png.99a95132c7c2a3e684c5c94bf4730714.png

If I am not mistaken, the Netherlands would be a fourth country requiring vaccinations

• Like 2

I think you maybe correct on that :). 

Here is a list of countries and their requirements. This site has been good about updating. EVeryone should check their ports to see those specific requirements. The trend is POSITIVELY moving toward removal of covid protocols, so if the country you are visiting requires vaccination today, they may not tomorrow. 

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-without-any-travel-restrictions-or-entry-requirements/

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is a list of countries and their requirements. This site has been good about updating. EVeryone should check their ports to see those specific requirements. The trend is POSITIVELY moving toward removal of covid protocols, so if the country you are visiting requires vaccination today, they may not tomorrow. 

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-without-any-travel-restrictions-or-entry-requirements/

At least as of earlier this year, however, some countries have different requirements for entry by cruise ship vs. entry by other means (e.g., via airports or crossing a border via bus or car). This tripped up a lot of people on early European cruises. There were agreements reached between cruise lines and country authorities that were either very difficult to find in published form or were not ever published.

So while this list may provide a good starting, point, I wouldn't take it as gospel without also having some clarification from the cruise line involved.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

So while this list may provide a good starting, point, I wouldn't take it as gospel without also having some clarification from the cruise line involved.

Agreed. Covid protocols are too fluid to trust anything but the actual government pages. And even then you need to check and double check.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

Well, since the US government has been requiring many workers to be vaccinated, yet the country is allowing millions to come in unvaccinated, I suppose the cruise industry is prepared to follow suit.  This just allows more infection and serious disruptions, so I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why the cruise industry chooses to go down that path.  It will cause me to rethink my future cruises.  I'm not willing to pay big bucks to miss ports and spend time in quarantine because others chose not to get the shots.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks for sharing. 

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

By now it seems like most are either vaccinated or have already had COVID, so I can see why they are doing that.  For us, it's too soon.  I still want to cruise on vaccinated ships.

And, it doesn't appear that if you are vaccinated, boosted, or have had COVID before that it precludes you from getting it again.  At least in my work environment that is proving to be true.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

And, it doesn't appear that if you are vaccinated, boosted, or have had COVID before that it precludes you from getting it again.  At least in my work environment that is proving to be true.

POTUS got it and apparantly he had 2 shots 2 boosters.  Plus, you KNOW that everyone around him is tested.  Goes to show.  I'm not making assessments on his condition, but just pointing out the facts.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

This is very true.  But I'm more concerned about serious illness onboard, that might disrupt the cruise.  Which applies to @NavyCruiser's comment, too.  Personally, I'm over worrying about COVID.  I've had four jabs.  DH has had four jabs AND COVID.  It was like a runny nose for him.  But we'd like to avoid changes in itinerary for medical evacuations of seriously ill people.  

To each his own on this one.  I hope some cruise lines continue to require vaccinations.

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

POTUS got it and apparantly he had 2 shots 2 boosters.  Plus, you KNOW that everyone around him is tested.  Goes to show.  I'm not making assessments on his condition, but just pointing out the facts.

Right, but with his advanced age, he might have been deathly ill if not for the vaccinations.  No need to make light of this fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, albingirl said:

Right, but with his advanced age, he might have been deathly ill if not for the vaccinations.  No need to make light of this fact.

I'm not making assumptions about his age, his immune system or if the vaccines work or don't work for him.  I'm not making any assumptions at all and am not making light of it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I'm not making assumptions about his age, his immune system or if the vaccines work or don't work for him.  I'm not making any assumptions at all and am not making light of it.

When you said, "goes to show", it did sound as if you were making an assumption since he got covid after 4 shots. I may have misunderstood you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMattT said:

I think it’s a reasonable extrapolation sicker passengers might need more care and disrupt medical center service availability onboard or require diversion of the ship.

I  do agree with this statement. Sicker people need more care.

Since comorbidity has always been (and continues to be) the number one predictor of needing hospitalization from covid, do you think cruise lines should refuse everyone with a comorbidity?  

• Like 1