Will Celebrity follow NCL soon???

Virginia100

The answer to OP’s question is yes.  100%. The only question is when.  I’m guessing mid-August an announcement will be made, as Royal has hinted to an update at that time.  

Once one major line makes an announcement like this the rest usually follow.  In this case I’m guessing they will follow fairly quickly, as they don’t want to see all that new revenue from unvaccinated pax going exclusively to NCLH. 

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Does Covid quarantine still exists if they eliminate pre-cruise testing?

Seeing as long before Covid cruise lines have been quarantining passengers for things like noro virus or flu then I would say yes it would still exist. The quarantine deck aspect will go away though and passengers will be quarantined in their own cabins. That aspect has to go away if cruise lines want to be able to hit 100% occupancy again.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I just went to the HAL board and it sounded like the end of cruising was going to happen with the restrictions dropped. 🙂 🙂 I guess that perspective on this changes with age and health.

I'm not surprised considering the demographic of HAL sailings. 😂

Edited by Fly and Sail
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Does Covid quarantine still exists if they eliminate pre-cruise testing?

From reports of those onboard it sounds like quarantine is mostly voluntary and people choose to self quarantine or not.  I question whether this is an issue any more?

Edited by NMTraveller

At this point, IMO the pre-cruise testing (either 2 or 3 day) does not really keep the virus off the ships.  And then many people do not report symptoms for fear of quarantine and isolation.  So the program has overall failed.  We need to just start treating cruising like every other part of our travel and leisure activities.  No further restrictions.  We understand the risks and just be cautious where necessary.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I just went to the HAL board and it sounded like the end of cruising was going to happen with the restrictions dropped. 🙂 🙂 I guess that perspective on this changes with age and health.

I’m not old enough to sail HAL.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't know if I would say it failed, more like it just ran its course. The protocols are no longer effective with the current variants.

I said "at this point" so meaning current variants.  Anyway, it is failing now and serves very little purpose.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Interesting that NCL stock is presently taking a 10%+ hit vs. 4%+ for RCL and CCL.  Related?

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

Interesting that NCL stock is presently taking a 10%+ hit vs. 4%+ for RCL and CCL.  Related?

No. They just posted their 2022 Q2 financials.  A loss which was no surprise, and a loss expected for Q3.  

It’s the same situation at all the majors.  None are profitable yet but should be hopefully by the end of the year.  

13 minutes ago, eroller said:

No. They just posted their 2022 Q2 financials.  A loss which was no surprise, and a loss expected for Q3.  

It’s the same situation at all the majors.  None are profitable yet but should be hopefully by the end of the year.  

but the loss was much larger than projected

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

No, they reported earnings today and they missed their numbers badly. 

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

but the loss was much larger than projected

And that is likely the reason why NCLH suddenly pulled the plug on their COVID protocols. Their quarterly earnings release was delayed by about a week . No doubt when they knew how poor their quarterly financials were going to be they decided to do something relatively earthshaking in order to quickly boost their bookings . They needed the week to put the new COVID protocols together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

No, they reported earnings today and they missed their numbers badly. 

Internally, they would have known about the miss when they made the protocol change announcement, which is why I was pondering whether the change was an attempt to boost numbers for subsequent quarters (not the other way around).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I'm not surprised considering the demographic of HAL sailings. 😂

Exactly. Someone is bound to protest that they are not of that demographic and still cruise with HAL, but we all know that generally speaking, it is what it is.  As for the possible relaxation on testing and/or vaccination requirements in the very near future,  you'll hear happy noises coming from my neck of the woods if they lift the vaccination requirement.  Testing's a hassle but it's a moot point right now for us since the one person I want to sail with most won't get vaccinated. 

8 hours ago, canderson said:

I was pondering whether the change was an attempt to boost numbers for subsequent quarters

Is there any other reason they would ease protocols? Testing and vaccine requirements reduce revenue and bookings for all cruise lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Is there any other reason they would ease protocols? Testing and vaccine requirements reduce revenue and bookings for all cruise lines.

Yeah, but see ... we should have shorted NCL as soon as they announced the protocol change!  Rats.  We missed the 'signal!  😜

• Haha 1

Interesting article on how NCLH saw a substantial bookings surge after making the announcement.  Yesterday was one of their top three booking days.  Essentially they beat the other lines to the punch, but I don’t anticipate that lasting long.  The other majors will not want to miss out on this revenue opportunity.  

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/del-rio-nclhs-eased-covid-rules-instant-catalyst-bookings

• Like 1

14 hours ago, canderson said:

Unrelated. NCl stock rose 4% with the announcement of removing vaccination requirements and  testing for the vaccinated. That was Monday. 

Today NCL released 2Q22 at 8:00 am. The stock took a 10% tumble because they missed all targets, added 500 million more in debt, and stated they do not expect to be profitable in both Q3 and Q4. 

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Yeah, but see ... we should have shorted NCL as soon as they announced the protocol change!  Rats.  We missed the 'signal!  😜

No- the stock rose on the news of changed protocols yesterday but tumbled today due to their dismal earnings call which went live before the opening bell. 

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Today NCL released 2Q22 at 8:00 am. The stock took a 10% tumble because they missed all targets, added 500 million more in debt, and stated they do not expect to be profitable in both Q3 and Q4. 

Just having a chuckle that they knew that was coming when they changed the protocol.  Having some fun here.  Should have shorted their desperation move yesterday 🤪

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1