Will Celebrity follow NCL soon???

Virginia100

14 hours ago, eroller said:

None are profitable yet but should be hopefully by the end of the year.  

not according to FDR- he stated today that they do not expect to be profitable in Q3 and Q4

Ccl also stated they don’t expect profitability until the second half of 2023

It is dismal. 

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just joking that they knew that was coming when they changed the protocol.  Having some fun here.

Of course- my apologies. There is so much tension around these changes that sometimes I forget the purpose of CC is to have fun. Thank you for the reminder 🙂 

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Of course- my apologies. There is so much tension around these changes that sometimes I forget the purpose of CC is to have fun. Thank you for the reminder 🙂 

Reworded my prior post that you quoted  to make it clearer.  I don't type very fast (or very well) on a phone.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 11:52 PM, Fly and Sail said:

I'm not surprised considering the demographic of HAL sailings. 😂

HA ha! But remember you will probably be old and a "health risk" some day yourself and your opinion might change!😉 We are in our mid-seventies and I view the new less restriction direction with mixed emotions. For our last couple of cruises I have dreaded getting the pre-cruise covid tests for the usual reasons, but we had no issue getting our shots and boosters. With less restrictions come more flexibility for we travelers, but also theoretically more risk. Yes, I know deaths are down, but I still don't want to be sick away from home....well, at home either I think.😉 I'm the paranoid guy you see in the grocery and on the airplane wearing my mask!😎

The occurrence my wife and I will applaud loudly will be when the number for new covid cases reaches rock bottom! Unfortunately those statistics are still pretty high, at least according to this site.  I had hoped this summer could be a big improvement over last summer, but that doesn't appear to be the case. All that doesn't mean we choose not to cruise right now of course..............😎

Doug

3 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Something seems to be amiss. People are reporting on FB that after the last app update, there is no longer a place to upload and verify the vaccine record during checkin. I don’t have any sailings coming up, so I cannot verify myself. 

THIS is my question and I am happy to hear others are finding this as well!  I cruised the last week in July on Celebrity and had to upload my vaccine record.  I am cruising Sept. 3 and checked in last night and NO place to upload my card.  I thought I was doing something wrong!  LOL  I am hoping that they will drop the pre-cruise testing and I won't have to wonder the streets of Rome to get tested....that will free up time to wonder around to look for pasta and wine! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Something seems to be amiss. People are reporting on FB that after the last app update, there is no longer a place to upload and verify the vaccine record during checkin. I don’t have any sailings coming up, so I cannot verify myself. 

So it would appear that RCL Group's idea of "transitioning to the point where everyone will be able to vacation with us" is to claim on the cruise websites that vaccinations are required while, in practice, no longer asking for proof of vaccination.

19 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

This has definitely just changed - we are on Sept 5th Reflection cruise and had only added our vaccination records a few days ago, mine was verified and my wife's was pending awaiting verification ..... now they have both completely disappeared from the APP.

So possibly the big announcement might be no proof of vaccination needed going forward ? Whether this means they will drop pre cruise testing who knows ??

TBH would prefer they drop pre cruise testing and still maintain vaccinated guests only as this takes away the hassle of finding an observed test 2 days before (we arrive 3 days early into Rome)

However they may choose to go the other way and allow anyone on ship vaccinated or not as long as they provide a negative test 😕

6 minutes ago, barneymag said:

This has definitely just changed - we are on Sept 5th Reflection cruise and had only added our vaccination records a few days ago, mine was verified and my wife's was pending awaiting verification ..... now they have both completely disappeared from the APP.

So possibly the big announcement might be no proof of vaccination needed going forward ? Whether this means they will drop pre cruise testing who knows ??

TBH would prefer they drop pre cruise testing and still maintain vaccinated guests only as this takes away the hassle of finding an observed test 2 days before (we arrive 3 days early into Rome)

However they may choose to go the other way and allow anyone on ship vaccinated or not as long as they provide a negative test 😕

As for me, I would be unhappy if they eliminated vaccination as a requirement to cruise.  But eliminating pre-cruise testing is OK with me.  But eliminating both vaccination and pre-cruise testing is just foolhardy.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, barneymag said:

So possibly the big announcement might be no proof of vaccination needed going forward ?

This was leaked by RCI's Bayley on FB 2 weeks ago. So, not only possible for X as well, but could be already in place for both.

Edited by RichYak
removed non-compliant link

We are going to Bermuda on the Summit repo in October.

Bermuda still requires both vaccinations and testing.

Hope they have the app squared away before the 31st of August for our check in.

Maybe we are just supposed to use the Bermuda form for vaccination proof.

Edited by bookitdanno

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

As for me, I would be unhappy if they eliminated vaccination as a requirement to cruise.  But eliminating pre-cruise testing is OK with me.  But eliminating both vaccination and pre-cruise testing is just foolhardy.

What about NCL's hybrid policy? Tests required only for unvaccinated. 

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If they follow NCL model, then vaccinated won't test and unvaccinated will. But that doesn't align with the vaccine verification leaving the app. It looks like we'll get an answer today or tomorrow though. 

Just now, AbbyCruiser45 said:

If they follow NCL model, then vaccinated won't test and unvaccinated will. But that doesn't align with the vaccine verification leaving the app. It looks like we'll get an answer today or tomorrow though. 

I think it does. During boarding, you show EITHER your negative test OR your vaccination card.

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe I don't get it, but why would you be unhappy if they eliminate the vaccination requirement?  The vaccinations haven't really been effective in preventing infection but have been effective in reducing the severity of the disease.   If you and I choose to get vaccinated to minimize the effects of an infection that's good but I really don't care if the guy in the next cabin contracts Covid and has a worse case of the disease.  Vaccinations don't seem to be keeping Covid off the ships.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

What about NCL's hybrid policy? Tests required only for unvaccinated. 

I am honestly OK with that model if it is the only choice.  I still prefer everybody vaccinated on the ship.  In fact I would like to see everybody Up To Date on the ship.  Testing is a precaution and a very short window in time that might be missed.  It is not keeping Omicron off the ship.  But Vaccination is prevention - the key step to prevent serious illness for most of us.  If the vaccine requirement is eliminated, you will again see ships with very ill passengers.  This would be bad for the cruise industry overall. Even if I am protected because I chose to be vaccinated.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Maybe I don't get it, but why would you be unhappy if they eliminate the vaccination requirement?  The vaccinations haven't really been effective in preventing infection but have been effective in reducing the severity of the disease. 

Which in turn helps to assure that Medical isn't overtaxed by more difficult cases.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am honestly OK with that model if it is the only choice.  I still prefer everybody vaccinated on the ship.  In fact I would like to see everybody Up To Date on the ship.  Testing is a precaution and a very short window in time that might be missed.  It is not keeping Omicron off the ship.  But Vaccination is prevention - the key step to prevent serious illness for most of us.  If the vaccine requirement is eliminated, you will again see ships with very ill passengers.

You don't think that a large majority of the unvaxxed have not already gotten the virus ( or been exposed and their body fought it off) and have some immunity?  It is pretty hard to hide from this virus unless you are living in a bubble.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

You don't think that the majority of the unvaxxed have not already gotten the virus and have some immunity?  It is pretty hard to hide from this virus unless you are living in a bubble.

Yes clearly the case.  Agree. Definitely it is not like even a year ago before Omicron variants spread like wild fire.  But even so,  the unvaccinated are still the majority of COVID-related serious hospitalizations and deaths even to this day.  Fortunately there are also anti-viral drugs and other medical strategies.

• Like 1

There are about 32,000 other threads to debate COVID......

Sticking to the topic, my guess would be something mirroring NCL's policy. I can't imagine going in with full on zero restrictions from the get-go. Maybe in a month or two? Sure. But I would be surprised. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am honestly OK with that model if it is the only choice.  I still prefer everybody vaccinated on the ship.  In fact I would like to see everybody Up To Date on the ship.  Testing is a precaution and a very short window in time that might be missed.  It is not keeping Omicron off the ship.  But Vaccination is prevention - the key step to prevent serious illness for most of us.  If the vaccine requirement is eliminated, you will again see ships with very ill passengers.  This would be bad for the cruise industry overall. Even if I am protected because I chose to be vaccinated.

I try to think about these things logically. If X eliminates testing today, what would be the typical percentage of unvaxxed passengers on board? I'm guessing 15% based on Celebrity's typical cruiser demographic. Some sailings will be higher, some lower. Even the CDC is ok with 20%. Of those, how many will test positive for covid on board (a few), and of those how many will need medical attention (very few), and of those, how many seriously (even fewer)? When you drill down enough, we're simply not talking numbers that are going to come close to overwhelming a ship's medical department.

I'm with @Ipeeinthepools, the hand-wringing about dropping vaccination requirements is much ado about nothing for those that are vaccinated.

• Like 2

Foolish to avoid testing.  Test for your own safety.  You don’t want to get on a ship if you have Covid. No responsible person wants to spread Covid or be sick. Also letting unvaxed  people on ships is crazy.  Testing protects everyone. Being vaccinated protects you and people you meet.  Even with that, people have gotten Covid on cruises.  With no testing, Covid cases will increase.   NCL is making a dangerous mistake.  

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes clearly the case.  Agree. Definitely it is not like even a year ago before Omicron variants spread like wild fire.  But even so,  the unvaccinated are still the majority of COVID-related serious hospitalizations and deaths even to this day.  Fortunately there are also anti-viral drugs and other medical strategies.

Let's look at the business model here.  If X still requires the vaccination, then it is missing out on familes booking cruises.  Most of the unvaccinated are children.  It is also missing out on large multifamily parties.  Think 3 or 4 cabins at one booking of an extended family.  In large groups there is always going to be one that is unvaxxed.  That is a lot of business that they previously said no to before.

So it is probably a calculated risk that is outweighed by the profits.

Edited by NMTraveller