Skagway dock closed for the remainder of the season

BermudaBound2014

Only the forward Railroad dock, not the whole port of Skagway.  There are a couple other docks and some ships anchor and tender passengers in.

From the article above:

"...led to the full closure of the dock,..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Only the forward Railroad dock, not the whole port of Skagway.  There are a couple other docks and some ships anchor and tender passengers in.

For the sake of the town's economy, I hope this is true! (Also the cruise passengers. Love that port!)

8 minutes ago, oakridger said:

From the article above:

"...led to the full closure of the dock,..."

thank you very much for the clarification- I will ask the mods to change the title of this thread. 

In a time when confusion abounds, I hate to unintentionally contribute. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

HAL does not normally use the Railroad dock. We were on a Celebrity ship docked at the Railroad dock a few weeks ago and the Holland America ship was docked across the harbor away from the slide area.

• Like 1

I was on the Koningsdam this spring. The dock used by HAL is in the centre of the port, and is in the best position. Its called the Broadway Dock because it is at the end of Broadway Street.

We docked with the bow pointing to the exit (Taiya Inlet). The mouth of the Skagway River and the airport were located on our starboard. Off the stern, there was a little station where the White Pass train picked up our excursion pax. The Railroad dock was located on our port-side, next to a cliff! The White Pass railroad also parked rolling stock in the vicinity.

Other forums have already posted reports on the landslides affecting Railroad Dock.

Skagway downtown_map j.jpg

• Like 1

On Zuiderdam 6/1, we docked at the Broadway dock.  Great location.

The next week, 6/8, we docked at the Railroad dock even though there was no ship at the Broadway dock.  Certainly was not as convenient. 

Skagway was my favorite port of the B2B.

Edited by NCTribeFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks. 

I looked at a picture of the ore dock, and that ore slide looks like a pretty fun way to get off the ship . . . 🙂

49 minutes ago, Petersonfcu said:

Thanks. 

I looked at a picture of the ore dock, and that ore slide looks like a pretty fun way to get off the ship . . . 🙂

Haha!  Actually anytime we have been docked at the Ore Dock it has been very windy (common in Skagway!) and it is not the nicest walk in to town especially when cold and-or rainy.  Broadway Dock is easy and close.  Really have enjoyed the walk in from the Railway Dock, very pleasant.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Thanks to everyone who posted clarifying where HAL docks. We are on the Noordam in a few weeks and really looking forward to the railway.

Have a great time and if you want to post a bit about the ship, there are lots here who like to read it!

• Host Kat changed the title to Skagway dock closed for the remainder of the season

Howdy everyone! 

Ta DAA! The thread title has been edited. 

Hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have all of you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

• Thanks 3