Self testing okay after September 5.

Turquoise Girl

I received this email from Celebrity today.  I think it is saying that an observed test will no longer be required on most sailings from the US.  Does anyone else interpret it this way?

Starting with September 5th departures:

• All travelers, regardless of vaccination status, can cruise with us on sailings departing from U.S. and Europe ports (excluding sailings that visit Canada).
  • We will begin accepting self-tests on sailings from U.S. ports that don’t visit Canada and Bermuda, and on many Europe sailings.
  • We’re easing testing protocols for U.S. cruises that don’t visit Canada or Bermuda:
    • For sailings 9 nights or less, vaccinated guests will no longer need to test to board one of our ships, where destinations allow; and will have 3 days prior to boarding to test for sailings 10 nights or more.
    • Unvaccinated guests ages 5 and older will need to test 3 days prior to boarding U.S. sailings (excluding Canada and Bermuda); and ages 12 and older for select Europe sailings.
  • The current testing protocol for cruises to Canada and Bermuda will remain in place until further notice, as well as the requirement that guests age 12 and up be fully vaccinated.
  • Some testing protocols in Europe are also easing.

4 minutes ago, Turquoise Girl said:

I received this email from Celebrity today.  I think it is saying that an observed test will no longer be required on most sailings from the US.  Does anyone else interpret it this way?

Starting with September 5th departures:

• All travelers, regardless of vaccination status, can cruise with us on sailings departing from U.S. and Europe ports (excluding sailings that visit Canada).
  • We will begin accepting self-tests on sailings from U.S. ports that don’t visit Canada and Bermuda, and on many Europe sailings.
  • We’re easing testing protocols for U.S. cruises that don’t visit Canada or Bermuda:
    • For sailings 9 nights or less, vaccinated guests will no longer need to test to board one of our ships, where destinations allow; and will have 3 days prior to boarding to test for sailings 10 nights or more.
    • Unvaccinated guests ages 5 and older will need to test 3 days prior to boarding U.S. sailings (excluding Canada and Bermuda); and ages 12 and older for select Europe sailings.
  • The current testing protocol for cruises to Canada and Bermuda will remain in place until further notice, as well as the requirement that guests age 12 and up be fully vaccinated.
  • Some testing protocols in Europe are also easing.

I interpret it to mean if you’re cruise is less than 9 nights and you’re not going to Canada or Bermuda then if you’re vaccinated no testing is required. If it’s longer than 9 nights or you’re going to Canada or Bermuda you can do a self administered test. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, judatt said:

I interpret it to mean if you’re cruise is less than 9 nights and you’re not going to Canada or Bermuda then if you’re vaccinated no testing is required. If it’s longer than 9 nights or you’re going to Canada or Bermuda you can do a self administered test. 

If you’re sailing to Canada or Bermuda, you cannot do a self-administered, non-proctored test.

But if going on a cruise greater than 9 nights AND not going to those destinations, you can do a self test and simply bring a picture of the results (or the actual test kit).  This seems to be the next step in dropping the testing requirement altogether.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rpht said:

Does the self-test part of this make sense to anyone? I don't understand the thought process that came up with that idea. 

Agreed… it doesn’t make sense.  Self tests don’t have a time stamp, so they’re meaningless in this context.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, verizon said:

Can some one tell me how to do a Self-test? Can I do it in front of the Check In officer right before embarkation?

My best guess it'll be a Y/N question, something like "have you tested negative for covid in the past 3 days, Y/N?" during the wellness check, most likely both in the app and during check in at the terminal.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, rpht said:

Does the self-test part of this make sense to anyone? I don't understand the thought process that came up with that idea. 

It will make sense pretty quickly when Celebrity stops covering the costs for COVID related care onboard. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Turquoise Girl said:

It says take a picture of the test or bring it with you, yuck!  You can do it at home or hotel.  Just follow the instructions that come with the test, very simple.

I didn't see where the message said that, but I agree that there's no way to insure a self-test, either actual of photographed, is valid. They are definitely simple, we've done them before and we always take tests with us when we travel. I wouldn't be surprised if in another week or two they drop this part of the protocols as well unless visiting a country requiring it.

1 hour ago, judatt said:

If it’s longer than 9 nights or you’re going to Canada or Bermuda you can do a self administered test. 

I think you might be misreading the part about Canada and Bermuda. I think those countries still require proctored tests which would trump anything Celebrity might say. 

Second to last paragraph says current protocols remain in effect for Canada and Bermuda.  To me this says that those cruises still require proctored tests (which seems to match what Bermuda Travel Authorization website.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turquoise Girl said:

It says take a picture of the test or bring it with you, yuck!  You can do it at home or hotel.  Just follow the instructions that come with the test, very simple.

Bring the test, not the swab that was up your nose. 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It will make sense pretty quickly when Celebrity stops covering the costs for COVID related care onboard. 

Exactly!  I think that is where this is heading and why they don't care anymore if it's proctored.  If you say you were negative but then suddenly become positive and need medical care, the $$ will be on you.  I guess this is no different than other illnesses where they ask pre-boarding if you are sick.  But with the fall and winter coming and who knows where Covid is heading this could be a difficult situation.

2 hours ago, verizon said:

Can some one tell me how to do a Self-test? Can I do it in front of the Check In officer right before embarkation?

Can I use my May testing sample as a proof  with my Camera?

Probably not,  cameras often show date and time of photo

On 8/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, rpht said:

I don't see how it can make sense to anyone. Either require testing or don't. 

Edited by Peteymil

On 8/22/2022 at 1:18 PM, rpht said:

X doesn't want to test its passengers, it's the ports that are requiring it.  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is that the ports were okay with this self-testing.  In the grand scheme things, X was never validating Vax cards or test results provided were authentic.

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

X doesn't want to test its passengers, it's the ports that are requiring it.  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is that the ports were okay with this self-testing.  In the grand scheme things, X was never validating Vax cards or test results provided were authentic.

You know this how?

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

Experience; have been on seven sailings since the restart.  Never have seen any terminal employees take longer than five seconds to look at either the vax card or the test results.

However it has taken a while for them to validate vaccination uploads pre boarding.