HAL offering longer cruises from US

BermudaBound2014

6 hours ago, ldtr said:

Princess was only was in Houston while they were being subsidized to be there. As soon as the port stopped paying they pulled out. Galveston has some fog and weather problems. Houston was far worse with multiple cruises being delayed returning to Port. At least one was 24 hours late.  Reason why Houston cruise port is now a car shipper storage area.

FWIW, Princess is resuming sailings out of Galveston starting in December.  I'd love it if Holland started sailing from there and offered longer cruises besides the normal 7 day ones hitting the same ports that the other cruise lines visit when sailing from TX.

6 minutes ago, jeff74 said:

FWIW, Princess is resuming sailings out of Galveston starting in December.  I'd love it if Holland started sailing from there and offered longer cruises besides the normal 7 day ones hitting the same ports that the other cruise lines visit when sailing from TX.

There are only so many ports in the Caribbean...doesn't matter if you are sailing from Galveston or not...

• Like 2

Exactly.  The folks on the Carnival board complain regularly about the "boring" itinerary they have from Baltimore and how they want more/different islands.  It seems many have never looked at a map.  You can only go so far and back on a 7-night sailing.  Carnival used to rarely have any sailings longer than 8 nights, but they've added many more.  Thing is, Carnival loyalists also don't seem to realize that other cruise lines regularly offer longer sailings, so Carnival's longer cruises book quickly and often are more expensive than elsewhere.

If you want more options from some ports, then the cruise simply has to be longer.  Personally, I'd never sail from Galveston (for several reasons), mainly because of the itineraries.

I loved sailing from San Juan.  Old San Juan is one of my favorite places, and you get to all those great Windward islands.  Dominica is my favorite.  I think X, NCL & RCI have ships in San Juan.  I need to have a look at those sailings, too.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are only so many ports in the Caribbean...doesn't matter if you are sailing from Galveston or not...

I agree but I would think that a modestly longer itinerary would allow for the possibility of including places like Panama, Curacao etc…

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jeff74 said:

I agree but I would think that a modestly longer itinerary would allow for the possibility of including places like Panama, Curacao etc…

So, maybe, in a generous sense, you are getting new itineraries, but those aren't new ports. Been to both several times out of Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

Anywhere you can go from Florida, you can go to from Galveston.  Princess will be offering Panama Canal from Galveston.  South America is easily accessible from either Galveston or New Orleans.  New Orleans was the main trade port for South American bananas and coffee for many decades.  Having to navigate the river has ended their prime status but just saying that the Gulf Coast has a history transiting the Canal and going to South America. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

So, maybe, in a generous sense, you are getting new itineraries, but those aren't new ports. Been to both several times out of Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

They would be new ports when sailing out of Galveston though which was the point of my perhaps pipe dream wish from this morning.  Yes, I have a whole world of different ports besides the traditional ones in the Caribbean but there are only so many currently that are available on sailings that originate within an hour drive from my house.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Anywhere you can go from Florida, you can go to from Galveston.  Princess will be offering Panama Canal from Galveston.  South America is easily accessible from either Galveston or New Orleans.  New Orleans was the main trade port for South American bananas and coffee for many decades.  Having to navigate the river has ended their prime status but just saying that the Gulf Coast has a history transiting the Canal and going to South America. 

Ah, was not aware of that with Princess.  Good to know for the future.  Thanks!

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t recall.  The thread was about 6 weeks ago. It may have actually been in my roll call thread - January 2023 Grand South America 

Off topic, but since I'm the OP I don't mind. I was VERY close to booking this exact cruise since my Antarctica trip was covid cancelled in 2021. Ultimately, I decided to go back to Maui for the winter 2023 because I'm still a bit unsure about covid protocols changing with the flu season, but I will be very interested to hear how the trip goes for you as I believe something similar is in my future. Is anyone from your role call blogging? 

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Off topic, but since I'm the OP I don't mind. I was VERY close to booking this exact cruise since my Antarctica trip was covid cancelled in 2021. Ultimately, I decided to go back to Maui for the winter 2023 because I'm still a bit unsure about covid protocols changing with the flu season, but I will be very interested to hear how the trip goes for you as I believe something similar is in my future. Is anyone from your role call blogging? 

I don’t think so but is it a very active roll call with many repeaters. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

The folks on the Carnival board complain regularly about the "boring" itinerary they have from Baltimore and how they want more/different islands.  It seems many have never looked at a map.  You can only go so far and back on a 7-night sailing.  Carnival used to rarely have any sailings longer than 8 nights, but they've added many more. 

There are sufficient numbers of ships in the Carnival fleet that a Spirit Class ship could continue to sail 7 day itineraries and either another Spirit Class ship or one of the remaining ships of the Fantasy Class could sail a longer or itinerary.  Or, vice versa.  The dock space in Baltimore for sailings other than on the week-end exists.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:40 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Today N. Statendam is completing an Iceland/Greenland 24 day cruise, roundtrip out of Boston. Not sold as two cruises.

It was a fabulous cruise!!!  Much cheaper than VoV and more Icelandic ports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/26/2022 at 3:47 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Thanks! I am looking at the Zuiderdam for the Panama Canal. Would you book that ship?

Absolutely!  We took the RT SD to FLL in January, 2022 and loved going through the Panama Canal twice in a week.  We also did a shore excursion out of Panama City to go see the new Agua Clara locks.  I highly recommend that excursion if the ship stops in Panama City.

Our two favorite long HAL cruises (from USA Ports) was the old Grand Med Cruise (we once did 62 days round trip from Port Everglades) and the still annual Voyage of the Vikings (round trip from Boston and usually about 35 - 38 days).  So longer itineraries from the USA are nothing new for HAL.  

Hank

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There are sufficient numbers of ships in the Carnival fleet that a Spirit Class ship could continue to sail 7 day itineraries and either another Spirit Class ship or one of the remaining ships of the Fantasy Class could sail a longer or itinerary.  Or, vice versa.  The dock space in Baltimore for sailings other than on the week-end exists.  

Longer sailings from Baltimore, on a smaller HAL ship, would be so wonderful!  Preferably going north, rather than Caribbean, but perhaps that's just me.  Or TA, time in the Med, then TA return.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Longer sailings from Baltimore, on a smaller HAL ship, would be so wonderful!  Preferably going north, rather than Caribbean, but perhaps that's just me.  Or TA, time in the Med, then TA return.

Just thinking out loud but trying a Canada/NE cruise out of Baltimore would mean needing 3-4 more days (at sea) rather than operating the same cruise out of NYC or Boston!  Using Baltimore  means navigating all the way to Norfolk just to get out into the Atlantic.  And that long Chesapeake transit has speed limitations (imposed by the Coast Guard) and also presents somewhat of a challenge due to the usual maritime traffic.  Baltimore also has major limitations because of needing to pass under a bridge (which rules out most mega ships).   Some cruise ships used to use the Port of Philadelphia, but that port also had major problems because of the Deleware River transit.  

But the reality is that HAL could certainly use those ports with its older/smaller vessels.  It is an interesting idea.

Hank

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But the reality is that HAL could certainly use those ports with its older/smaller vessels.  It is an interesting idea.

There are itinerary possibilities that seem not to have crossed the minds of those in Seattle responsible for making those decisions.

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just thinking out loud but trying a Canada/NE cruise out of Baltimore would mean needing 3-4 more days (at sea) rather than operating the same cruise out of NYC or Boston!  Using Baltimore  means navigating all the way to Norfolk just to get out into the Atlantic.  And that long Chesapeake transit has speed limitations (imposed by the Coast Guard) and also presents somewhat of a challenge due to the usual maritime traffic.  Baltimore also has major limitations because of needing to pass under a bridge (which rules out most mega ships).

So what?  A transit of the Bay is an interesting experience.  Sailing under the Bay Bridge, the night time crossing of the Bridge-Tunnel complex, with all its lights, from/into the Atlantic:  it's a different cruise experience.  The Volendam and Zaandam ought to be able to sail under that darn bridge.  The Vistas and others?  You are correct.  I doubt that it would be possible.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So longer itineraries from the USA are nothing new for HAL.  

Indeed.  They have done them well.  As you said, for me, VOV was a winner for me, but the Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam remains at the top of my list.  In many ways, it was better than my Grand World Voyage.  

I don't believe that any of the Vistas and other Classes were designed to be vessels that would sail on extended cruises.  If the Zuiderdam does sail on the 2023 world cruise, it will be very interesting to learn how that ship does on such a voyage and the responses of those who will be sailing on her.  Particularly, those who have experienced world cruises on the Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Prinsendam.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think a World Cruise on the Vistas would be a big issue.  Cunard has been doing them many years on twins Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria.

Roy

Cunard has experience.  HAL doesn't.  Even though the mantra of "best practices" is supposed to be followed among the Carnival brands, some of the memos seem to get lost.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 7:48 AM, NCTribeFan said:

I loved sailing from San Juan.  Old San Juan is one of my favorite places, and you get to all those great Windward islands.  Dominica is my favorite.  I think X, NCL & RCI have ships in San Juan.  I need to have a look at those sailings, too.

Agree with sailing from San Juan as the best starting point for Caribbean cruises. Did one cruise with Carnival from San Juan (pre-Covid) - great itinerary.

We now have 2 booked from San Juan - one in 2023 (Celebrity) and one in  2024 (NCL).

On 8/29/2022 at 7:16 PM, rkacruiser said:

There are itinerary possibilities that seem not to have crossed the minds of those in Seattle responsible for making those decisions.

So what?  A transit of the Bay is an interesting experience.  Sailing under the Bay Bridge, the night time crossing of the Bridge-Tunnel complex, with all its lights, from/into the Atlantic:  it's a different cruise experience.  The Volendam and Zaandam ought to be able to sail under that darn bridge.  The Vistas and others?  You are correct.  I doubt that it would be possible.

Indeed.  They have done them well.  As you said, for me, VOV was a winner for me, but the Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam remains at the top of my list.  In many ways, it was better than my Grand World Voyage.  

I don't believe that any of the Vistas and other Classes were designed to be vessels that would sail on extended cruises.  If the Zuiderdam does sail on the 2023 world cruise, it will be very interesting to learn how that ship does on such a voyage and the responses of those who will be sailing on her.  Particularly, those who have experienced world cruises on the Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Prinsendam.  

I couldn't agree more.  Although we are booked on the '24 WC on the Zuiderdam, I am waiting to see how the '23 WC manages on the Zuiderdam.  We were on the 2018 Grand Asia on the Amsterdam, and I am trying to visualize how the Zuiderdam can even come close to it.  The Shanghai downtown port will certainly not happen.  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When the Volendam had to dock at a cargo pier some distance from Shanghai in 2002, it was not a terrible distance from the downtown docks.  

We were on the Amsterdam in 2018 and docked downtown.  The Westerdam docked about a half an hour away.  But what made the downtown docking so spectacular was being entertained by the light shows displayed on the commercial buildings partially surrounding the port.  That was a sight!  I doubt that this will be accessible to the Zuiderdam in '24.  More 's the pity.  

• Like 1