New terminal in Galveston Texas - Progress

bgoff60

I'm really excited about this - we've always had to fly to FL to be on an Oasis class ship (which is fine, I love FL - but it's nice to be able to drive from DFW to Galveston and save on flights!). Can't wait to see the new terminal for our NYE cruise! C&A update today said it was 75% finished and on schedule. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TRadle said:

I'm hoping that Celebrity will send a few ships our way! Driving from Austin to board LOS in 2 weeks! 

I'd be VERY surprised to see a Celebrity ship in Galveston any time soon.  RCG seems to want to focus growth in GAL around RCCL for now.  I could see them adding a 3rd RCCL ship seasonally however.

Just now, TRadle said:

I'm hoping that Celebrity will send a few ships our way! Driving from Austin to board LOS in 2 weeks! 

Galveston is getting better & with the larger ships coming in RCL should be able to offer longer cruise so you have options other than just Cozumel / Yucatan.  However doubt Celebrity will come to Galveston - why compete with yourself in a relatively small market.....  Did you look at taking Amtrak to LOS vs driving?

8 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I'd be VERY surprised to see a Celebrity ship in Galveston any time soon.  RCG seems to want to focus growth in GAL around RCCL for now.  I could see them adding a 3rd RCCL ship seasonally however.

3rd like radiance coming in for the 9 and 10 days jan 30 for a few months plus 2 other ships. 3 is hard to fill. Prices for allure lowest next jan if I wasnt on radiance I'd book allure. Says starting 381 pp

Plus princess is coming by same time. Even cheaper. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TRadle said:

26 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Celebrity was in Galveston a long time ago. I would love to see a Celebrity ship return. Unfortunately Celebrity doesn’t have as many ships in their fleet to play around with.

Not sure why Voyager is coming back to Texas seems like full circle of the Voyager fleet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

Did you look at taking Amtrak to LOS vs driving?

My husband is disabled so driving is now the only option.  We used to live in Chicago and would fly to any port, but those days are sadly gone.  

11 minutes ago, TRadle said:

My husband is disabled so driving is now the only option.  We used to live in Chicago and would fly to any port, but those days are sadly gone.  

Understand - be safe driving & enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Where is this in relation to the existing cruise terminals? We’re excited because we can drive to the port as well and we love the oasis class ships. Will this terminal have added parking? 

Port of Galveston parking is just across the street.

I'm so excited for this new terminal at my home port and even more excited for the ALLURE!! Oasis class is my fav class of ship. We'll test the new terminal over Thanksgiving when we board the Adventure. But first the flight to Miami to board the Symphony in 42 days. We are trying hard not to book the Allure for Christmas, we have a Hawaii trip planned for February, but I don't know if that will be successful. LOL!!!

Edited by cynt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Skippy said:

Where is this in relation to the existing cruise terminals? We’re excited because we can drive to the port as well and we love the oasis class ships. Will this terminal have added parking? 

It's about one mile further up Harborside Drive from the existing terminals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRadle said:

Port of Galveston parking is just across the street.

Sadly, Port of Galveston parking at the new terminal is almost twice as much as lots A & B at their old terminal. 
I’ve always used POG parking, but will be looking elsewhere when the new terminal opens. 

4 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

I would sure like to see some TAs out of Galveston.

October 2022 is a repositioning from Jersey via Southern Caribbean/Columbia  to Galveston. And April 2023 is Galveston via Panama Canal to Los Angelas .  

12 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Sadly, Port of Galveston parking at the new terminal is almost twice as much as lots A & B at their old terminal. 
I’ve always used POG parking, but will be looking elsewhere when the new terminal opens. 

Hmm, haven’t checked the pricing yet.  How much will it be?  The garage across from the existing terminal is already over $100 a week.  We love being able to just walk, not crazy about using shuttles as it takes longer.  

6 hours ago, ssb said:

October 2022 is a repositioning from Jersey via Southern Caribbean/Columbia  to Galveston. And April 2023 is Galveston via Panama Canal to Los Angelas .  

Don’t think these count as TA’s!

We have done several TA’s in the past that have brought ships into Galveston.

I agree and hope these will return in the future.

48 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Hmm, haven’t checked the pricing yet.  How much will it be?  The garage across from the existing terminal is already over $100 a week.  We love being able to just walk, not crazy about using shuttles as it takes longer.  

I have the North lot booked for February Allure, it was in the $150 range for 7 days.  A little more than down the street, but well worth it to me to be so close to the terminal, eliminate shuttles, and avoid walking over the railroad tracks with luggage.

50 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Regular parking at the old terminal for a 7 day is $97. Same at the new terminal is $168.