Covid positive but Asymptotic

Scotico

So curious. If you tested positive for Covid 2-3 days before cruise and was vaccinated, would you still cruise? Since  you do not need to test if you are vaccinated, I suspect many would just cruise so they are not out any $$. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Scotico said:

So curious. If you tested positive for Covid 2-3 days before cruise and was vaccinated, would you still cruise? Since  you do not need to test if you are vaccinated, I suspect many would just cruise so they are not out any $$. 

Most would say no but in reality yes they would cruise.  We are having this same dilemma. We will be in Vancouver and need to test before our cruise. Testing positive in Canada means 10 days quarantine. Testing positive, getting out of Canada and back to the US is very doable. Car rental in Vancouver  and drop off in Seattle is only a few hundred, 10 nights in a $400 a night hotel room is extremely expensive even with insurance. Testing services like emed only report your positive test to your home address local health department. A quick call to Royal letting them know one of us is positive will get us a full refund. We are both fully vaxed and double boostered, but you never know. Here in the US we are only advised to quarantine and only for 5 days, in California it is estimated that less then 10% of covid cases quarantine. 

23 minutes ago, Scotico said:

If you don't have any symptoms, why would you test if not required.?

• Like 22

3 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Most would say no but in reality yes they would cruise.  We are having this same dilemma. We will be in Vancouver and need to test before our cruise. Testing positive in Canada means 10 days quarantine. Testing positive, getting out of Canada and back to the US is very doable. Car rental in Vancouver  and drop off in Seattle is only a few hundred, 10 nights in a $400 a night hotel room is extremely expensive even with insurance. Testing services like emed only report your positive test to your home address local health department. A quick call to Royal letting them know one of us is positive will get us a full refund. We are both fully vaxed and double boostered, but you never know. Here in the US we are only advised to quarantine and only for 5 days, in California it is estimated that less then 10% of covid cases quarantine. 

One way car rentals at airports are very rare these days. Found out last weekend in Charleston when our flight was canceled. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

One way car rentals at airports are very rare these days. Found out last weekend in Charleston when our flight was canceled. 

Not true.  One ways are very common, and easy to do under most corporate and affiliate contract codes. 

Just now, Cruise Gopher said:

Not true.  One ways are very common, and easy to do under most corporate and affiliate contract codes. 

They used to be before the rental car shortage. See how easy it is now from a major airport. And btw most people don’t have a corporate code.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

They used to be before the rental car shortage. See how easy it is now from a major airport. And btw most people don’t have a corporate code.

I booked a one way rental from MCO to PCN this past February.  Could just be that route as I am sure there is a constant flow back and forth

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Scotico said:

Absolutely, i consider it personally irresponsible to expose others knowingly to a contageous disease. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

Well if you test positive and can show the test, you should be able to get your money back, unless they changed the rule.

So is this policy for all cruises. Was not aware of full refund if you are positive 

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Absolutely, i consider it personally irresponsible to expose others knowingly to a contageous disease. 

I hope all cruisers think like you. Unfortunately many only think for themselves and do not care if it’s spread to someone else. Have seen this a lot at Disney where you will see a park guest sick as a dog going around the park on all the rides. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotico said:

I went through this in June when my mom tested positive. Due to the guidance at that time, we wouldn't have been allowed to board, should we have driven to the port and tried to board. We canceled and rescheduled for October.

Now, I suspect that some would cruise anyway, now that testing is gone (almost) for vaccinated people.

As for Mom, she's much better, and while she was symptomatic, her symptoms are gone and were extremely mild (fatigue being the longest lasting one). She has since recovered, is back to work, and anxiously looking forward to October.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 2

Depends on why you tested positive…if you’re having symptoms then no, it’s not fair to travel.  If you’ve had Covid in the past 90 days you can be recovered and non-contagious but still test positive.  I got Covid in April (vaxxed and boosted) and I work at a hospital. I tested positive after my symptoms were resolving (I had tested negative while I had symptoms - but I was pretty sure it was Covid and was isolating). I had to stay out for 5 days after the test since I was pretty well recovered and was then told they wouldn’t try to test me for 90 days (I had to do a health screen form before work and am honest, as most of us are. We don’t want to put our patients or our unit at risk). So in that instance, I would contact RCI and see if a doctor’s recovery note would be accepted.  If not or if I had symptoms, no I wouldn’t sail. I am pre-testing in the next few days just to see if I'll need a note.  Then I'll have to test before sailing since we're doing Canada. And  I'm one of those weird ones, I do pack and wear masks! 😆

Edited by cooncat_mom
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I agree.

Also I would cancel because I was miserable when (in my case ) the symptoms did show up after two  days of testing positive. Besides not exposing others, I would not enjoy a cruise like that either. When I am sick I want to be in my home and I want my bed and my pillow and my blankie.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

No cars available from Vancouver airport, plenty available from downtown Vancouver. 

47 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

When I am sick I want to be in my home and I want my bed and my pillow and my blankie.

You sound just like me! I have to have my bed, special curved pillow and my blankie! Heck, that's even when I'm not sick (the blankie). LOL

I can't imagine someone testing positive and still going. This world is crazy and another reason why we haven't started back cruising. You get it on the ship, you are doomed. I don't want to spend so much money and be confined to a room. I can't imagine how anyone could function. People are just so uncaring these days and all about "ME" "ME" "ME"  

• Like 7

So is this policy for all cruises. Was not aware of full refund if you are positive 

Select cruises booked on or before March 31, 2022, enjoy the protections of the Cruise with Confidence program, including the option to cancel your cruise close in or get an adjustment if you spot a better price.

Worry Free Cancellations

For sailings booked by March 31, 2022, that depart by September 30, 2022, you can cancel up to 48 hours before your sail date and get the full paid value in a Future Cruise Credit. You can then use your credit toward any sailing you wish — the options are endless.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting question.  What if one had a bad cold, would you still go?  What about getting the flu, would you cancel just before your sailing?  Possible stomach flu?

I strongly suspect that covid will become equal to these things.  For some, it already is, due to new and less severe variants coupled with partial immunity from vaccines, boosters and getting covid.  I've had it and so did my GF.  She was asymptomatic.  For me, it was like about the mildest cold I've ever had.

Folks say they don't wish to expose others to potential illnesses, but when the rubber meets the road, and potentially with thousands of dollars on the line, not to mention an opportunity to actually have a vacation for a change, I suspect that, all virtue signaling aside, most would actually do something different than what they say they'd do.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 15

13 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Here's an interesting question.  What if one had a bad cold, would you still go?  What about getting the flu, would you cancel just before your sailing?  Possible stomach flu?

I strongly suspect that covid will become equal to these things.  For some, it already is, due to new and less severe variants coupled with partial immunity from vaccines, boosters and getting covid.  I've had it and so did my GF.  She was asymptomatic.  For me, it was like about the mildest cold I've ever had.

Folks say they don't wish to expose others to potential illnesses, but when the rubber meets the road, and potentially with thousands of dollars on the line, not to mention an opportunity to actually have a vacation for a change, I suspect that, all virtue signaling aside, most would actually do something different than what they say they'd do.

You are lucky you did so well. There are hundreds in excess of usual dying each week from Covid on the US. 10% of all those who get Covid end up with long Covid. In my 40 years working in a hospital, I've never had a patient die of a cold. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Scotico said:

It wouldn't be a choice -- if you test positive, you would be denied boarding.  At least right now.  I'm not sure when that'll end.  

I do suspect that MANY people (assuming they feel fine) would still cruise -- even with the refund from the ship's ticket, many people have other details that're already arranged /may not be refundable:  plane tickets, night-before hotel room, dog boarding, arrangements for the kids to stay with Grandma.  

Speaking only for myself, we got a rock-bottom price for our cruise, and I'd be unhappy even if I got a refund.  I probably couldn't re-book for this fall for the same price.  I totally believe some people would say, "Screw it.  I'm keeping my booking."  

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Yeah, car rentals aren't easy anymore.  We're a one-car family, and we wrecked it back in February.  It was so much trouble: 

- We had to call all over to get a rental car and finally felt lucky to get one I really liked. 

- We all know about supply-chain problems these days.  The dealership couldn't get the parts to fix my car, so we had to wait WEEKS.  Once they got the parts, they fixed it immediately, but I drove that rental car for four weeks!  

- I've never had my car in the shop more than 2-3 days, and I never would've believed I'd have hogged that rental car for so long.  

... Unfortunately many only think for themselves and do not care if it’s spread to someone else ...

But not everyone thinks that way, and not everyone believes the test results are correct or that the virus is a big deal.  That's one big reason we're STILL DEALING WITH THIS!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Bad cold or flu just before sailing. No, I would not take the cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I agree.

Also I would cancel because I was miserable when (in my case ) the symptoms did show up after two  days of testing positive. Besides not exposing others, I would not enjoy a cruise like that either. When I am sick I want to be in my home and I want my bed and my pillow and my blankie.

Agree.  Common sense says, "Don't chance it." 

2 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

You are lucky you did so well. There are hundreds in excess of usual dying each week from Covid on the US. 10% of all those who get Covid end up with long Covid. In my 40 years working in a hospital, I've never had a patient die of a cold. 

Yes, that Long Covid biz is no joke.  My sister-in-law (who, by the way is STILL a non-vaxxer and a Covid non-believer) is still suffering from fatigue and loss of taste /smell, and it's been 17 months.  

When I had Covid (I'm fully vaxxed), I got over it pretty quickly, and it wasn't horrible -- but the exhaustion stayed with me a month, and the headache made a reappearance a couple times a week even after the virus itself was gone.  Those after-effects hung on long enough that I went to the doctor, and he told me that symptoms 8-10 weeks after testing positive are considered perfectly normal.

This thing is more than "just a cold" for a lot of people, and, Ladies, we're more likely to get the Long Covid than men.  

• Like 1