The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 2nd, 2022

richwmn

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just a quick drop in to wish a very Happy Anniversary to  @Quartzsite Cruiser

CD3001DB-FC9C-48B0-B28F-6C7D7A3E189E.gif.b1e716b409b2edd5e57778068438fcbf.gif

It’s been a busy, painful & frustrating day.  I’ll try to catch up later when I can put my feet and knee up.

Jacqui, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to wish us a happy anniversary.

Lenda

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This is what I posted on July 16, 2021.

We have been to A Coruna twice on BHBs.  In 2004, on the old Noordam, we stayed in town, took the bus to the lighthouse and then walked around town.  In 2011, on the Prinsendam, we took the tour to Santiago de Compastela.

I'll begin with A Coruna.  The lighthouse which is still working and built on the foundation of the old Roman lighthouse.  The Tower of Hercules is the oldest extant lighthouse and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

IMG_3138.thumb.JPG.598c930ec81dd60bed3c8f8207980e3d.JPG

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.6d8a33128187976e370c99435f190f39.JPG

We went up in the lighthouse, and DH went to the very top.  This is A Coruna from the top.

IMG_3145.thumb.JPG.15c911e7175044c17de39f166f312269.JPG

Various sites as we walked around the town

IMG_3161.thumb.JPG.807d89bed1b27306c80e15a4c4b03447.JPG

IMG_3158.thumb.JPG.d31a4ee8e3c527dd5a788abb98f1f542.JPG

IMG_3166.thumb.JPG.c0049958212d8d71148f4494f09c2f36.JPG

IMG_3167.thumb.JPG.d3d964bf231cfb45996601f8d2c99a3b.JPG

This picture is from 2011 after our tour when we were searching for an ATM

P1020163.thumb.JPG.6554bdaddb06c012ebafcbc3edf611ff.JPG

The view of the Tower of Hercules as we sailed to the next port.

IMG_3180.thumb.JPG.89d5a35bf968640147fea5b26e898664.JPG

These are a few of the pictures I took in Santiago de Compastela. The first is as we were walking from the bus to the square.

P1020128.thumb.JPG.ee516ac7c11cce6ba254969cdafac3ba.JPG

A monument to the pilgrims and one entrance to the church. plus the interior of the church.  We saw St. James tomb, but no pictures.  There was a long line to walk through the narrow passage and view the tomb.  Basically, we had to keep moving.

P1020132.thumb.JPG.ac024ced0ee48427f13ea5c713120bf6.JPG

P1020133.thumb.JPG.89c01e95247a3f92c301cc7adafdf365.JPG

P1020140.thumb.JPG.191d660faac8d253efa8fa7f41b20cd1.JPG

A different view of the square where the pilgrims gather

P1020136.thumb.JPG.a039584c9f127dfae90773da55948518.JPG

After touring the church, we went to a hotel for refreshments in the courtyard, where we were entertained by these gentlemen,P1020158.thumb.JPG.29db0ff0815ca932e863c4c70fb8bb19.JPG

P1020159.thumb.JPG.c3c49671b89f7bd0083666d61ccba670.JPG

Lenda

Thanks for sharing your pics from A Coruna.  I was there on the Prinsendam in 2010.  We experienced the large Biscayne swells as we left.  Captain Albert advised everyone to stay seated until it passed the swells and the "little Prinsendam" did roll quite a bit.  A Coruna is not often on Holland America itineraries, although I remember it as a worthwhile port. 

I don't recall ever having a "Back Nine", but an Arnold Palmer yes.  Adding vodka would likely worsen my golf score, but maybe I wouldn't care?

We dropped off quite a few things at the local hospice thrift store today, not a food bank, but hey, give me credit anyway.  Of course, it is mandatory after dropping off donations at the back door to drive around to the front to check out what you can't live without.  There was a framed Holland America poster of a 1929 Statendam showing just the funnels and the big air scoops which all ships to blow fresh air inside as the ship moved through the seas.  It wasn't very pretty, but I really wanted it.  The saner one said no, so I am home now thinking, "Do I dare go back and get it and add it to my collection of Holland America crap, I mean priceless artifacts?  

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Thanks for sharing your pics from A Coruna.  I was there on the Prinsendam in 2010.  We experienced the large Biscayne swells as we left.  Captain Albert advised everyone to stay seated until it passed the swells and the "little Prinsendam" did roll quite a bit.  A Coruna is not often on Holland America itineraries, although I remember it as a worthwhile port. 

I don't recall ever having a "Back Nine", but an Arnold Palmer yes.  Adding vodka would likely worsen my golf score, but maybe I wouldn't care?

We dropped off quite a few things at the local hospice thrift store today, not a food bank, but hey, give me credit anyway.  Of course, it is mandatory after dropping off donations at the back door to drive around to the front to check out what you can't live without.  There was a framed Holland America poster of a 1929 Statendam showing just the funnels and the big air scoops which all ships to blow fresh air inside as the ship moved through the seas.  It wasn't very pretty, but I really wanted it.  The saner one said no, so I am home now thinking, "Do I dare go back and get it and add it to my collection of Holland America crap, I mean priceless artifacts?  

Go for it.🚢

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Found out that Lahaina has been dropped for Kahuli. Not too pleased but we will figure it out. 

Off to water aerobics.

3 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

The same change was made for the 16-Day Circle Hawaii cruise out of Vancouver Canada on the Koningsdam. Since I have never been to Hawaii, I won't know the difference. Looks like you will be on the Noordam and also embarking October 8th. We will be in Kahului on the 14th, the day before you.

All port stops to Lahaina have been redirected to Kahalui for about the last year, or so.  The reported reason was to accommodate a project to upgrade to the Lahaina Marina.  Presumably, this would include an upgraded to the tender docks that are available to cruise ships.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A sad day in Baltimore today.  Captain Anthony Workman died today as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident on his way to work.  It can be considered a line of duty death.

Roy

May  he rest in peace. Prayers for  and  his  loved  ones.

Jim.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, irishjim said:

May  he rest in peace. Prayers for him  and  his  loved  ones.

Jim.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A sad day in Baltimore today.  Captain Anthony Workman died today as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident on his way to work.  It can be considered a line of duty death.

Roy

🙏 Prayers for Captain’s Workman’s family and fellow responders.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Again, I want to thank everyone for their Happy Anniversary wishes.  It was a nice, quiet day here this year.  Unfortunately our plan to go to our favorite Tex-Mex reataurant had to be postponed.  About the time we were ready to leave, it started raining again.  Later, we wound up getting take put.  We'll have a delayed dinner next week.

BTW, our rain total for today is 2.08 inches.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Our condolences to Captain Workman's family, friends and colleagues.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 0106 said:

I can get all the ingredients necessary for this recipe at H Mart, a nationwide (in the US) Asian grocery store. 

I love H Mart. I wish one was closer to me. I usually stop on my way home from visiting my dad’s grave to buy kimbap (it’s like a sushi roll but with cooked beef-everything is cooked). I like just wandering around, trying to figure out what stuff is by the picture. Lots of stuff written in Korean/Japanese. And sometimes it’s hilarious when it gets “translated.” 

Happy Anniversary Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and DH! 🥰

@TiogaCruiser My family will be in your neck of the woods for a few days but I’ll only be with them 1 night. So no time for a visit. One day we’ll get together. 😉

Could all of you getting rain please please please send some our way? So far we don’t have water restrictions like Los Angeles but I’m sure it’s coming. And thus heat wave is ridiculous. But at least it’s a dry heat. 😝

Thanks to all for caring and sharing. 🤗😘

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the Anniversary wishes, we celebrate on the 9th.

I am actually too tired today to catch up.  This morning I booked our flights to and from Alaska for May, we ended up booking with Alaska Air, or is it Air Alaska....and we upgraded the first half of the flight, but Seattle to Vancouver we just booked cheap.  With insurance.  And we booked cheap Vancouver to Seattle, and then upgraded ourselves on the long flight back to Atlanta.  Getting excited for all upcoming cruises.

Hugs to you all.  Tomorrow is another long day.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Happy Anniversary!

3695790b970852793afedfefc836bb36.jpg

Ann, thanks for the good wishes.  I love the cat meme.  Glad you have your flights booked for your Alaska criuse.  We like Alaska Airline, and the upgrades will spoil you.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

I love H Mart. I wish one was closer to me. I usually stop on my way home from visiting my dad’s grave to buy kimbap (it’s like a sushi roll but with cooked beef-everything is cooked). I like just wandering around, trying to figure out what stuff is by the picture. Lots of stuff written in Korean/Japanese. And sometimes it’s hilarious when it gets “translated.” 

Happy Anniversary Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and DH! 🥰

@TiogaCruiser My family will be in your neck of the woods for a few days but I’ll only be with them 1 night. So no time for a visit. One day we’ll get together. 😉

Could all of you getting rain please please please send some our way? So far we don’t have water restrictions like Los Angeles but I’m sure it’s coming. And thus heat wave is ridiculous. But at least it’s a dry heat. 😝

Thanks to all for caring and sharing. 🤗😘

Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  I wish we could share some our rain with you.  I know the southwest part of the country needs rain too.  Try to stay cool in the hear wave.

Lenda

• Like 7

Good evening from Victoria. 

This cruise is winding down, the bags have been sent out and we're heading for the last sleep on the Crown Princess. It has been a nice cruise. I'm still a HAL fan for sure but Princess does many things well. We were able to get our Covid tests done on-board for the grand total of $10.00 each. We are negative so Eurodam here we come!

I got word this evening that my friend Wayne transitioned at 2:40 AM. today. His wife, Karen, said it was very peaceful and she got there at 3:00 AM and was able to sit with his body and do some other things that were good for her soul as well. Thank you for everyone's kind thoughts and prayers. I taught next door to him for 18 years and he was a special person. He was the only male teacher with 3 females to bug him! 

Karen

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

15 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Morning Dailyites.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda & DH Happy 55th Anniversary!

Up early for our Tundra Wilderness tour, and COVID test, but wanted to pose the question I asked last night, since I am hoping to get as many opinions as possible. 

Again if you have experienced this trip in the past, I ask you not to comment. 

How would you interpret the statement between the two yellow lines? Thanks to all who take the time to reply!

I hope I have lots of wildlife pics to share later. 

Ann

2A8E75B4-C00E-42CB-99E4-FBC1951E551B.thumb.jpeg.24d9a86f183ea51c67a14663a52916f2.jpeg

Thank you all who responded. We also interpreted the above statement to mean that lunch would be provided, at HAL’s cost, at the Princess lodge. And we were all correct.

But how HAL did it was interesting. 

About 15 minutes before arriving at the lodge our bus driver announced we were close to the lunch stop. She said we would have 30 minutes to eat our lunch. She said she had box lunches and bottled water for everyone. She apologized and said their was no choice in sandwich filling, she only had roast beef. 

I was three rows from the back and just the time moving from the back to the front lost us 5 minutes. And there were at least 10:people behind us. Anyone with limited mobility lost even more. 

When we arrived inside the lodge, there was no sectioned off area for us to sit.  We had to walk through a huge lobby area to hunt for seats. I am not sure if the folk staying at the lodge had any clue what the invasion was - but I felt as bad for them as I did for us. 

I ended up with a 15 minute lunch. And at least 15 others had less time. Our bus driver, who was just doing her job, tried to cover it by saying “We provided a basic lunch, because we want to make sure you enjoy your dinner.“

I will be writing to HAL to help them understand that is not how to treat their patrons. Several of us even have some great suggestions to make the experience better. 

But the “Great One” made up for this craziness. And we saw a few creatures in the park. The Fall colors were in their glory with the Birch & Aspen taking center stage. I will edit the pictures in using my phone. Hang tight. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you all who responded. We also interpreted the above statement to mean that lunch would be provided, at HAL’s cost, at the Princess lodge. And we were all correct.

But how HAL did it was interesting. 

About 15 minutes before arriving at the lodge our bus driver announced we were close to the lunch stop. She said we would have 30 minutes to eat our lunch. She said she had box lunches and bottled water for everyone. She apologized and said their was no choice in sandwich filling, she only had roast beef. 

I was three rows from the back and just the time moving from the back to the front lost us 5 minutes. And there were at least 10:people behind us. Anyone with limited mobility lost even more. 

When we arrived inside the lodge, there was no sectioned off area for us to sit.  We had to walk through a huge lobby area to hunt for seats. I am not sure if the folk staying at the lodge had any clue what the invasion was - but I felt as bad for them as I did for us. 

I ended up with a 15 minute lunch. And at least 15 others had less time. Our bus driver, who was just doing her job, tried to cover it by saying “We provided a basic lunch, because we want to make sure you enjoy your dinner.“

I will be writing to HAL to help them understand that is not how to treat their patrons. Several of us even have some great suggestions to make the experience better. 

But the “Great One” made up for this craziness. And we saw a few creatures in the park. The Fall colors were in their glory with the Birch & Aspen taking center stage. I will edit the pictures in using my phone. Hang tight. 

This is bizarre. I am not able to upload my pictures. I will try again tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I'm so sorry Roy to hear your sad news of Captain Anthony Workman dying in a line of duty death.

Sincerest condolences to all of his family and friends.

G.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@NextOne  It would be wonderful to see a lilac blooming at this time of year.  I'm no expert, but I would not fertilize the lilac at this time of year.  Fertilizers tend to push out lots of leaves and you don't really want that after a stressful summer.  I would make sure it gets enough water going into winter and see how it does next spring.  It may not flower.  Make sure it does not go under water stress and things will be back to normal soon.  It probably would be okay to prune now, but you could wait until after the normal blooming period in the spring.  🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1