Cruise Stops in Orlando and Miami

rjrpar

3 hours ago, sailor05 said:

Looks like we'll be at terminal 1 on the Oasis in October. Is there any bars/pubs within walking distance? Really not interested in the leaving the port area. Been there MANY times.

There are several restaurants (with bars) near Terminal 1. Probably a 10 minute walk. I haven't been to any of them so I can't make a recommendation. You might try posting on the Florida Departures forum:
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

If you are talking about T#1 in PC...yes, there are many bars, cafes, and restaurants there within a couple of minutes walk.  All within sight of the ship. Grills Tiki Bar is right next door ....practically at the end of the ship.  We like going there before boarding for a Bloody Mary after we drop our bags and park in the garage.  🙂 

12 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Could be but the “bulk” of cruises out of Port Miami are either originating or returning there.  Miami is the largest cruise port in the world and not considered a “port of call”. Just my TCW from a native Miamian.

Yes Miami is the world's largest Cruise Port! Yes Miami is a port of call. Being one or the other doesn't exclude it being both.

Used to love Miami as a port of call, go to the Market area there near the docks. haven't been there in years though since most ship we wanted to sail were out of Port Everglades. Also last time there, Oct 2016 before covid, the inner harbor area was disgusting loaded with garbage. Was port of call Grandeur Seas out of Baltimore. Picture attached.

Semantics are a wonderful thing.

1 : an intermediate port where ships customarily stop for supplies, repairs, or transshipment of cargo. 2 : a stop included on an itinerary.

IMG_7431.JPG

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

Also last time there, Oct 2016 before covid, the inner harbor area was disgusting loaded with garbage.

IMG_7431.JPG

Wow! I lived in Miami and have returned numerous times for years. I have close friends who live in downtown and have NEVER seen or even heard of anything like this.  I have to assume it was a fluke, maybe after a storm or a funky tide or something.  Rest assured I think this picture is most definitely the exception and not the rule.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, rjrpar said:

We will be on the Anthem.

Is it the Oct 29th sailing. I will be on that too if so. We booked that because the price was great with the extra day. It was cheaper than the 7 day Anthem Sails that do not have Miami. Need to figure out what to do in Miami during that time, probably go to South Beach if the weather is good. 

I think I’m hearing that the port stop in Miami will be at a main POM cruise ship terminal. We are in port from 9 to 5 and I am planning to Uber  to South Beach to browse and have lunch.  Is that a reasonable plan?

22 hours ago, island lady said:

Not sarcastic...truth.  Many pax are confused thinking they are going to Orlando...they are not.  And yes, I understand RCI lists the stop as "Orlando's Port Canaveral".   Orlando does not own PC, and is 40 miles away.  I am from there, and am insulted that our port is listed as Orlando.  

Cape Liberty does not advertise they are NY city, and the city is within view of that port.  

Hey, I get it, the NY Giants, NY Jets, and NY Red Bulls are all in NJ.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Nailed it!   I lived in Orlando, believe me, NO ONE was envious of Port Canaveral! LOL!

I don't want to be adopted by the mouse...he has his large white mitts into too much already.  Even the ad Orlando had on TV last year, which claimed the "Beaches of Orlando" (AKA Tampa/Clearwater beach 45 miles away) had to be changed after they got into trouble for that.  

Orlando...you are in the middle of the state...no port, no beach.  😉 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:13 AM, SplashOfWater said:

For Orlando, it depends which ships are in port that day. If you are coming in on Oasis for a port call on the same day that Harmony or Independence is docked at Terminal 1, then you will dock over by Terminal 5. Still in the same general area, not like it's miles away or anything. If Terminal 1 is open, then you will dock there. Not sure about Miami.

Oasis will not dock at terminal 5, that class only docks at terminal 1.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rjrpar said:

I think I’m hearing that the port stop in Miami will be at a main POM cruise ship terminal. We are in port from 9 to 5 and I am planning to Uber  to South Beach to browse and have lunch.  Is that a reasonable plan?

Yes, you'll have plenty of time. 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:43 AM, island lady said:

Ships do not dock in Orlando. They would have to put wheels on the ship to drag it 45 miles inland.

I was thinking the same thing. Now there is the Big Chute Marine Railway, on the Trent-Severn Waterway in Ontario, Canada, where vessels are, in fact, placed on wheels to be "dragged" over the intervening land. I don't believe that there is any similar railway transporting large cruise vessels  between Port Canaveral and Orlando. 🙂

On 9/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, island lady said:

Cape Liberty does not advertise they are NY city, and the city is within view of that port.

I believe that Cape Liberty is sometimes promoted as being New York City. Of course, it is not, and I would take offense if anyone were to equate Bayonne (or any part of New Jersey) with New York City. 🙂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I was thinking the same thing. Now there is the Big Chute Marine Railway, on the Trent-Severn Waterway in Ontario, Canada, where vessels are, in fact, placed on wheels to be "dragged" over the intervening land. I don't believe that there is any similar railway transporting large cruise vessels  between Port Canaveral and Orlando. 🙂

I believe that Cape Liberty is sometimes promoted as being New York City. Of course, it is not, and I would take offense if anyone were to equate Bayonne (or any part of New Jersey) with New York City. 🙂

Exactly.  😉  

On 9/3/2022 at 1:14 PM, rjrpar said:

Thanks for yr sarcastic answer but RCCL lists the port stop at Port Canaveral as Orlando. 

Just like Florence and Rome they are some 1.5 hours from nearest port, but itinerary lists the cities and not the ports. 😜

12 hours ago, nferr said:

I find Port Canaveral a great time to stay on the ship and relax. Might take a little walk but that's it.

If you are docked at T#1, which I assume you will be...you will find a lot of bars, restaurants, cafes, some shops, etc. right next to the terminal.  There is also "Imagination tower" which is interesting right there in the complex. 

Even having lived near there for over 30 years, we still find it interesting to go there, watch the ships leave and have lunch/drinks at one of the waterfront restaurants on the docks.  

Enjoy, and welcome to the area.  🙂 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

If you are docked at T#1, which I assume you will be...you will find a lot of bars, restaurants, cafes, some shops, etc. right next to the terminal.  There is also "Imagination tower" which is interesting right there in the complex. 

Even having lived near there for over 30 years, we still find it interesting to go there, watch the ships leave and have lunch/drinks at one of the waterfront restaurants on the docks.  

Enjoy, and welcome to the area.  🙂 

Do you mean "exploration tower"?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mets123 said:

On a Miami port stop , does anyone know if Royal or private companies run shuttles to South Beach like they do to Ron Jon in Cape Canaveral?

You can take the water taxi from Bayside to South Beach and back. 

https://www.watertaximiami.com/