Covid positive after cruise

Jadesmom69

1 hour ago, BND said:

We paid attention also on our Apr cruise where a lot were coughing, including myself.  I had a sinus infection which was confirmed after we got home through a neg PCR and rapid as well as flu tests.  I had a temp of 101.5 and other symptoms and was neg.  Not all coughs are covid lol.  My DH had a cough/cold also after that cruise.  Neither of us has ever tested positive.

Same here!  Not from being on a cruise, but just "living life", our adult daughter started with it last week, then I picked it up this weekend, and now my wife has it.  It's a sore throat, some coughing (not deep - just throat-tickle) and a stuffy nose.  No one has had a temperature, maybe some mild headaches and body aches.  It does seem to go away fairly quickly - like 5 days or less.  But it's not COVID!  We've all ben testing daily and always negative.   Honestly, I was almost hoping it was COVID so we could get some extra antibodies going before the cruise! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

Cruise with Confidence goes through Sept. 30 if you booked before <I think> the end of March. That is why I didn't take insurance on our California cruise this month. 

OK, thanks for that clarification!  I knew it ended before our next  cruise, but thought it was the first part of September.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I think it ended when they stopped refunding cruise fares when people tested positive and could not cruise.  That either changed Sept. 1st, or maybe it was Sept. 11th?  Not to say "I told you so", but months ago, when we were speculating when testing might end, I said I'd put money on it being when that reimbursement policy ended.  I guess i was right! 🤣

Found the right answer on the RCCL website.  You are right about the reimbursement policy ending, but you just jumped the gun on the date when it ends.  It is still in place until the end of this month.

• Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, and provide assistance with any required land-based quarantine, as well as coordinate travel home for you and your Traveling Party, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Weekly is a good indication. Usually, when someone tests positive, it will take 10 days to test negative. So once a week would "catch" that positive test.

Aren't you worried that only testing once a week you will miss a positive test?  Say you are exposed on a Saturday and get covid.  You test on Monday morning but it is negative, if you tested an hour later it would be positive, but you don't test until the next Monday.  You will have been walking around with covid for a whole week!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fartlek said:

for those that tested positive, how long did it take for you to get a negative test?

Don't know.  Tested positive on a Thursday.  Had to stay away from work until Tuesday (no negative test required), then required to wear a mask at work for another 5 days.  Never took another test.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Day 11 after the onset of symptoms, I tested negative. I tested 48 hours later and got another negative test. That is a CDC guideline so I did that test 48 hours after the first negative test.

CDC guideline used to be quarantine for 10 days, now it’s 5 days, we’ve had a lot of Covid here and dealt with protocols from our high school and 3 universities, never took any additional tests because it’s common to still test positive when no longer contagious.

I work for a large hospital system. We can test on day 7 and day 8 and if negative can return to work, masked as always. I was still positive on day 7 and 8 and had to continue out of work for the full ten days. No negative test is required at that point but I didn't test out of curiosity. Just the faintest of lines at that point.

We cruised on Ovation 08/12 - 08/19. Soooo many people on board were coughing by day 6! My brother tested positive on Monday evening 08/22.

Myself and our parents (brother shared a room with my Dad; and our rooms were connecting) remained negative with 0 symptoms (we each tested 2x with a rapid and PCR on days 5 and 7, after last seeing him Friday the 19th).

Several people from our sailing (According to the Facebook group) reported either they, or members of their travel party, tested positive in the days that followed.

My Mom and I consistently masked in crowded areas; brother and Dad did not. My Mom, Dad, and I wore masks on the flight home; brother did not. Everyone around us on the plane were coughing so, it's hard to say if he got it on the plane or the cruise. We'll never know.

Edited AGAIN (lol) to add -

- My Mom and I never stepped foot in the Windjammer; My Dad and brother went there twice each.

- We ate at specialty restaurants for almost all meals; did not sit near anyone for the most part. On our last lunch (day 7) at Chops, our waiter was not wearing his mask properly and kept coughing. 

- Ate in the MDR twice for breakfast, not very crowded.

-Ate in the MDR once for dinner, on Lobster night. Were not seated too closely to anyone.

Edited by jerseygirl629
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, exm said:

Here's my family: me (1 booster), wife (2 shots), 3 kids ( not vaxed). We all got Covid in January (I assume Omicron, nothing serious). We had a big Europe trip (19 days, with a 7 day European cruise at the end), and my son got Covid on the last day of the cruise (he got it earlier, but he was sick on the last day). We spend time in the cruise cabin, he was sitting between me and my wife during our flight home [we tested after we got home by the way] so I'm sure we would have gotten it ourselves if not for.... Natural immunity. So somehow my son was unlucky, and got it but none of the other 4 in my family had any problems at all.

Folks, this is like that cold. Let's stop talking about it.

For myself a very healthy 52 year old and my 12 year old daughter, we have been pretty sick for the past 11 days.  So it’s not “just a cold” for everyone.  We both are vaxxed and boosted and have never tested positive before.  My issue is they knew we were negative on the way in and weren’t concerned about us testing positive on the way out.   Disappointing, but I would still cruise again.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2022 at 5:52 PM, coffeebean said:

Why don't your vulnerable friends and family wear an N95 mask when around others who choose to live their lives normally again (that means no masking).

They do wear masks.  It's me taking the virus to them I'm concerned about.

On 9/6/2022 at 6:11 PM, coffeebean said:

Those folks who are vulnerable, AKA, immunocompromised, are the ones who should be masked with N95 masks when around others. I have a healthy immune system so I will not ever be masking in public. I did, however, quarantine in my home for 10 days when I tested positive after my Indy cruise. I had two negative tests, 48 hours apart before I went out in public again.

OK, people like you and I with strong immune systems don't get sick.  But, we can carry the virus.  I don't want to carry the virus to anyone, known or unknown to me.  So, crowded = masked, to me.

I'm just trying to explain here, not convince.  We all make our own choices.

I left Voyager ots on last Sunday after a b2b Sacandinavia cruise. In the second week it felt like half the ship was coughing. So it’s no wonder that I tested positiv the evening we got back home on Sunday. It’s the second time I got it now and it is definitely more intense… 😑  I have mixed feelings now about going back on a cruise if so many people get sick afterwards… I can’t imagine cruising working out if they loose the testing protocols even more… 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Funkytown83 said:

I left Voyager ots on last Sunday after a b2b Sacandinavia cruise. In the second week it felt like half the ship was coughing. So it’s no wonder that I tested positiv the evening we got back home on Sunday. It’s the second time I got it now and it is definitely more intense… 😑  I have mixed feelings now about going back on a cruise if so many people get sick afterwards… I can’t imagine cruising working out if they loose the testing protocols even more… 

"So many people"?  We were on EN for 6 nights back in July.  Out of the group of 23 we were with, two actually caught it, so somewhere around 9%.  About 10% is what I've seen on other roll calls just based on the number of people on the roll call and positives reported.  Even those that report about their travel companions, it appears to be around 10%.  Our state positivity rate is over 15%.  Cruisers are not getting it more often than anyone else.  And, numbers are dropping.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BND said:

"So many people"?  We were on EN for 6 nights back in July.  Out of the group of 23 we were with, two actually caught it, so somewhere around 9%.  About 10% is what I've seen on other roll calls just based on the number of people on the roll call and positives reported.  Even those that report about their travel companions, it appears to be around 10%.  Our state positivity rate is over 15%.  Cruisers are not getting it more often than anyone else.  And, numbers are dropping.  

I think that more than 10% of the cruise passengers on Voyager were positive after the cruise. But we won’t know for sure, since there are no numbers and not everyone gets tested afterwards. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Funkytown83 said:

I think that more than 10% of the cruise passengers on Voyager were positive after the cruise. But we won’t know for sure, since there are no numbers and not everyone gets tested afterwards. 

And, not everyone tests at home either.  But, that's not the point.  Are you just guessing?   I had numbers from families and groups on our roll call on FB which gives a better idea of % than just saying "a lot".

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

And, not everyone tests at home either.  But, that's not the point.  Are you just guessing?   I had numbers from families and groups on our roll call on FB which gives a better idea of % than just saying "a lot".

Agree, well said

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2022 at 8:34 AM, lovescats5 said:

Why do we always have to hear about getting covid after a cruise.  Have people gotten covid after going to the grocery store, how about work.  You will get covid, if you are going to get it, where ever you are or where ever you have visited.  Cruise ships are no different.  First we complain about having to wear masks, then testing before a cruise, then not everyone wearing a mask although it is not required.  Covid is here to stay as is the cold or flu.  Can we just move on.  So tired of all this.  If you don't want to take a chance then stay home.  And no, I don't need a lot of judgemental people telling me what they think I need to do.  We will be on Quantum Sept. 19 and if we feel sick when we get home I can say we will not test.  Yea, I am one of those.

I agree!!!      More often then not I come down with cold/flue symptoms after a cruise/flying.  I'm sure I still will.  I will not feel the need to complain/announce it on a cruise message board just like I never have before.   I will feel no need to stick a swab up my nose either...Yea, I am one of those too.   Finally I am allowed to cruise again.  I have been doing all inclusive vacations in the Caribbean for the last 3 years while I was not allowed to cruise.  twice a year and loved it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Keksie said:

Aren't you worried that only testing once a week you will miss a positive test?  Say you are exposed on a Saturday and get covid.  You test on Monday morning but it is negative, if you tested an hour later it would be positive, but you don't test until the next Monday.  You will have been walking around with covid for a whole week!

Who has the time for this nonsense, I know you are kidding, but testing for a virus with no symptoms is a bit silly, who has the time to stick up on tests and then take them and worry constantly, blah blah blah

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ID Cruiser said:

Who has the time for this nonsense, I know you are kidding, but testing for a virus with no symptoms is a bit silly, who has the time to stick up on tests and then take them and worry constantly, blah blah blah

People that are around others that are immunocompromised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Keksie said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but....that is not my concern at all. There are probably millions of people walking around with Covid and they may not know it or don't care or haven't tested and think it is just a cold or who knows what the reason is. This variant we have now is not nearly as virulent as the original strain or the Delta strain.

I was just making a point to another poster that testing once a week would probably "catch" a positive test. I was asked how often should a person test to know if they have ever had Covid and that was my answer......probably once a week. What a person does with the information is up to them.

Edited by coffeebean

6 hours ago, pcur said:

They do wear masks.  It's me taking the virus to them I'm concerned about.

But....if they wear N95 masks, you really shouldn't have to wear a mask if you distance from them. A vulnerable person wearing anything other than an N95 mask is like not bothering at all to protect themselves. What type of masks do your friends and family wear?

6 hours ago, pcur said:

OK, people like you and I with strong immune systems don't get sick.  But, we can carry the virus.  I don't want to carry the virus to anyone, known or unknown to me.  So, crowded = masked, to me.

I'm just trying to explain here, Sonot convince.  We all make our own choices.

So I'm to understand that your choice will be to mask for the unforeseen future. Have at it. And......unless you are wearing an N95 mask, your efforts are futile.

Edited by coffeebean

11 minutes ago, Ravensfan1973 said:

Agree, it's ridiculous.  

Ditto! And if I get sick with influenza-like symptoms, I don't see why I need to know what it's called and if it happens to be Covid and what variant, or whether it's just plain old influenza-A or similar. Personally I also blankly refuse to be constantly afraid or even cautious of other people, and regard them as potential carriers of something dangerous or even deadly,  even when they are not acting in any way threatening towards me.

If the vaccines do indeed work, one shouldn´t have to worry about unwittingly making anyone else who is vaccinated seriously ill either. Those again who to this date remain unvaxxed, have very likely made a conscious decision on their part and are personally fine with the risk. 🙂

• Like 3