The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 8th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Literacy Day, National Ampersand Day, and National Date Nut Bread Day

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure; try to please everybody all the time.--Herbert Bayard Swope

Meal Suggestion for today - Sweet and Sour Sauce
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Colada
Wine of the Day - San Pedro 2020 Gato Negro Sauvignon Blanc (Chile)
Destination of the Day - Boracay, Philippines

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Quebec, Canada

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Invergordon, Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 09/09

0908Atlantic.thumb.png.f81673235ac68cd41b4548be8282e22d.png

0908Alaska.thumb.png.f85f990a274340398ddea4ed256dfbf7.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the fleet reports.

We had a lovely meal last night.

A great selection of days today.

Excellent true quote.

Nice food and wine today.

Never been to today's port so looking forward as always to photos.

Prayers 🙏 and best wishes for everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20220907_190225.jpg

IMG_20220907_191814.jpg

IMG_20220907_194630.jpg

IMG_20220907_201113.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  You had me at date nut bread!  Hats off to for Literacy Day and our old friend &.  I like today’s quote, it’s very good advice.  Not sure that the meal suggestion would be much of a meal without some additions.  I would try the drink though.  I haven’t been to today’s port, I hope that there are some nice photos of it.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 28

Good Thursday Morning!  Yesterday was a small fiasco, getting pulled immediately from one campaign  into training, and then when they told me to start calling, well,  they loaded the leads wrong into the computer and I sat and stared at a blank screen for an hour.  At least I got off work 15 minutes early.

Up early today to take DH to his pain doctor.  Trying to utilize any free hours getting ready for the cruise. So figured I would get up early.  Even the cats aren't up.  The quote is so true, I love date nut bread.  Not sure how to celebrate ampersands and I know I will read something today, like the sales pitch.

2cf9b21c0ad7e46d1a2390390ea31402.jpg

Have a great day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Thursday Daily & Fleet Report, Rich.  I love all 3 of the days but especially a day for literacy.  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  Sadly, I have never been to the Philippines.

Today’s care list:

RIP Baltimore Fire Captain Anthony Workman 9/2/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation and insurance troubles
From the rotation:
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
Welcome home Kochleffel
4 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
3 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
3 days for lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool, clear morning.  Supposed to warm up to 26C this afternoon.  It's still summer! 🙂

Love the days and the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe, I'm sure it will be good with chicken or pork.

Love the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I'm off for a walk with Bertie.  Have a wonderful day everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily & Fleet Report, Rich.  I love all 3 of the days but especially a day for literacy.  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  Sadly, I have never been to the Philippines.

Today’s care list:

RIP Baltimore Fire Captain Anthony Workman 9/2/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation and insurance troubles
From the rotation:
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
Welcome home Kochleffel
4 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
3 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
3 days for lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's updated lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  A pretty morning but boy aren't the sunrises getting later and later?  I guess Autumn really is on the way.  I have a hair appointment this morning so will be gone for several hours.  I hope the expected afternoon thunderstorms really do wait until afternoon.  I walked my 2.5 miles on the treadmill and prayers were said for all on our Care list as well as neighbor Linda.  I texted and found out yesterday she was supposed to go to a rehab facility Tuesday but my informant had not heard if that actually happened.  I hope a family member has picked up their dog from the kennel, otherwise he will be feeling abandoned.  🙁

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor a great group of days to celebrate.  Especially literacy though date nut bread and "&" are quite nice too.  The quote is so true, and the wine sounds good.  Can we get something to go along with the sweet & sour sauce?  I'm keeping an eye on the Volendam in anticipation of her leaving Rotterdam hopefully tomorrow.  As for Boracay, Philippines I haven't been to the Philippines before, and this is a first time showing for the port on the Daily.  Looking forward to any photos you have to share!

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Lists today.  Cheers to all on the Celebration lists.  Anxious to see what Debbie @dfishsays about the sauce.  Thanks to all on the food and beverage department and the subs during vacations.  We appreciate you all.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Cruzan Colada cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1 part Pineapple Juice
1 part Cream of Coconut
Garnish: Pineapple Slice

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a Hurricane glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a pineapple slice.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 7.59.59 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Three days before we begin our 9 hour drive home.  Lots to do here with good, although warm weather.  

Thanks for the Daily Reports.  All look great especially that Cruzan Colada.   Prayers for the Queen.  She has been on the throne my entire life.  🙏 Prayers for all on our Care list.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

My first job was as a teacher assistant in adult basic education, and I am definitely in favor of literacy. Also in favor of date-nut bread, for which I have a family recipe. And of ampersands, although I think they are overused.

I do typesetting and layout, and occasionally in decorative work I can use a typeface in which the italic ampersand is ornate, and switch to it if the situation allows.

ampersands.png.589c31515d2dbd55f954c3ba801a0cab.png

Remember that my flight from Amsterdam was full of passengers who seemed to be ill? On Tuesday I had an acupuncture appointment and tested before it: negative. Later that day I started to feel ill myself, but more like the onset of a cold. I started taking echinacea and zinc plus extra vitamin C, and rested yesterday, and this morning I feel OK.

On my last cruise I had RCI's coffee card, so I was frequently at the Café Promenade for an Americano, although RCI's ordinary coffee isn't as bad as NCL's.

433311699_cowboycoffee.jpg.6534df324dd122c7d1654a2c95a6b8d0.jpg

My next cruise is on NCL and I am considering cancelling it, not because of the coffee but because there will be some sort of vlogger's convention aboard and it sounds as if the ship will be full of vloggers and their groupies, and also because the flight arrangements have been changed and now include a connection at JFK, although that could possibly be changed.

• Like 29

Top of the morning to you all! We ended up staying in and ordering pizza delivery. As it turned out we both didn’t feel like having Thai food for dinner.

I have been to the Philippines where I took Jungle Survival Training as a requirement before being an aircrew member(Aero Medic) in Vietnam. We will have an overnight in Manila on the World Cruise but not familiar with today’s port.

Our house cleaning lady is coming today and it will be great to see her and have a clean house. She is like family as she has been working here for at least 15 years.

Rain is in our forecast so I’m hoping to get a walk in before it starts. Lot’s of rain this year.

Thanks Rich and Roy and all our contributors. Have a great day!

Bruce

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone!

Literacy and date nut bread!   One is critical to a free society and the other is just plain good.  The & is along for the ride.  

We decided to put off the photographer for pictures of my home until Monday.  There was just too much to accomplish by tomorrow.  We haven't heard back about our offer.  Apparently one of the siblings involved in the sale of the home is difficult to get in touch with.  I have an appointment today to get the new Covid booster.  I want full immunity when I get on the ship October 8th.   One month from today!   

I love sweet and sour chicken, but haven't had it in decades because of the sugar it contains.  I'll stick with the egg rolls and hot mustard sauce.  But, sweet and sour sauce is pretty easy to make and can be used in a variety of ways.   

Sweet and sour is a generic term that encompasses many styles of sauce, cuisine and cooking methods. It is commonly used in East Asia and Southeast Asia, and has been used in England since the Middle Ages. Sweet and sour sauces remains popular in Asian and Western cuisines.

In China traditionally the sauces are made from mixing sugar or honey with a sour liquid such as rice vinegar, soy sauce, and spices such as ginger and cloves. Sometimes a paste made from tomatoes is used but this is rare and normally restricted to Western cooking.

Cantonese sweet and sour sauce is the direct ancestor of the sauce of the same name in the West, and was originally developed for sweet and sour pork. The late renowned chef from Hong Kong Leung King included the following as his sweet and sour source sauce recipe: white rice vinegar, salt, Chinese brown candy, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and dark soy sauce.

871704142_sweetandsoursauce6.jpg.7c110c7367d57035aef1b45b9f53b4af.jpg

Sweet and sour seabass

Sweet and sour sauce is the ultimate dipping sauce for potstickers, egg rolls, wontons, chicken nuggets, fish sticks and anything else your heart desires.

You can also incorporate it into your favorite Chinese dishes like sweet and sour chicken, pork or shrimp, sweet and sour meatballs, Asian salad dressings, and as a glaze for grilled chicken, pork, seafood, kabobs, ribs, etc.  It’s even delicious just drizzled over a bowl of hot steamed rice.

You can also omit the cornstarch and use this sauce as a marinade.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/best-sweet-and-sour-sauce/

1637767405_sweetandsoursauce2.jpg.0103adf73959e4e9c0b34b0a124be196.jpg

This next one includes garlic and ginger in the sauce.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/sweet-and-sour-sauce/

1620475464_sweetandsoursauce4.thumb.jpg.6468e308bd68d3a4b08f5fe697c5c5ec.jpg

Here is one that is keto friendly so contains much less sugar.  https://mamabearscookbook.com/keto-sweet-and-sour-sauce/

1543113832_sweetandsoursauce5.jpg.305b8f9e98537e2ed44feaf99e9ed050.jpg

Ok, we have the sauce.  What do we do with it?   Besides using it on chicken or pork are there other ways to use it?  This page gives us 15 ways to use sweet and sour sauce besides the well known chicken and pork.  https://happymuncher.com/what-to-do-with-leftover-sweet-and-sour-sauce/

1.  Make a stir fry with it.

2.  Make a sandwich and use it as a spread.

3.  Marinate meat or fish in it.

4.  Use it as a salad dressing.

5.  Drizzle it over pasta 

6.  Add it to chicken soup.

7.  Use it as a base for pizza.

8.  Use it as a dipping sauce for french fries or chicken nuggets.

9.  Use it as a dipping sauce for egg rolls or spring rolls.

10.  Baste it on barbecue ribs or other meat.

11.  Use it on baked potatoes.

12.  Make a sweet and sour chicken salad.

13.  Use it with ramen noodles.

14.  Make a sweet and sour sauce omelet.

15.  Freeze it for later use.

How would you use it?  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from cental Texas.  This morning, I need to trim and mow the yard.  I had planned to get out early while I could do a lot of the work in the shade, but according to the weather app the relative humidity is 91%.  So it's either work in the humidity or wait an hour or so and work more in the sun.  Neither is ideal. Decisions, decisions.

Literacy is nery important and should be celebrated every day.  Someone can have my date nut bread.  The lowly & is often maligned, but it does have its uses.

I like today’s quote.  Sweet and sour sauce is also good with crab cakes for a change of pace.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds interesting.

We have not been to today's port, only to Manila.  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the port.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad you gave yourself more time before the pictures of the house are taken.  I was wondering how you were going to get the hall painted and the house decluttered in two days.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope Linda was transferred to rehab, and that someone got the dog out of the kennel.

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks to Rich, Roy, and the F & B ladies. 

We had friends over last night when suddenly it started raining cats and dogs. It was a nice surprise as we sat outside and enjoyed the rain and breeze.

Prayers lifted for those on our care lists. Sandi I hope you find out where Linda and her dog are. What a sad situation. 

Goodness Debbie you are like the Energizer bunny. Plowing through to get painting, packing, and ready for pictures! Stay healthy. 

image.png.a771b91ddae27df0707cbb46df222f7b.png

I used to make mini date nut breads for our bed and breakfast. Gave them to our guests as a thank you for staying with us.

My sweet husband goes to the doctor again today. He's been feeling fine but there's follow up things that are to be done. I'm thankful we are having all these things checked out. We will be sailing for 45 days and want to stay safe and healthy. 

Tonight is Mahjongg. I am making a yummy chicken enchilada dip.

Blessings, Prayers and Cheers 

• Like 29

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Thank you Roy for including Sam in the rotation. Dogs adapt to their limitations and Sam is no different. He has now begun to do stairs one step at a time. Occasionally he will pause and then continue on. So we walk him around the side of the house up the slope which is much easier on him. I don't think we will need to make "that" decision soon, and the vet felt confident that we could travel on our upcoming trip. I am hoping cooler weather will see him rebound as our previous dog, Juno, did with the change of seasons in her last year.

We have a new PCC thanks to "Ichiban Nekko." We never did hear from our latest PCC for over three weeks after a phone call message and two emails. So I contacted HAL yesterday and spoke with a supervisor. No problem with getting switched. I'm not trying to burn that PCC but I felt we gave her enough latitude to contact us.

Five weeks until we leave for Italy with 44 days until sailing from Genoa on the MSC Splendida and 57 days until the Transatlantic on the Oosterdam!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 27

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Prayers for the Queen.  She has been on the throne my entire life.

Me, too. I was six-months when she was coronated in June 1953.

With the reports that her family is all headed to her bedside in Scotland, her condition must be very concerning.

🙏Prayers for the Queen, her family, and the British Commonwealth.🙏

-Melisa

• Like 23