Caribbean Princess-Toilet Issues AGAIN

Rebels82

We were on this ship in May and had toilet issues. We thought they would be fixed by Sept. We were wrong! We have had toilet issues every day. Today it will not flush and is almost overflowing.  Guest Services has been called daily. My last call to Guest Service received this reply “We have no ETA. There are numerous cabins with this issue.” 

I don’t have a good feeling since this has happened in May and again now. Those of you that have had toilet issues for days on ships before, what refund did you receive? We have 7 more days here.

Just now, CineGraphic said:

I don't believe that age has anything to do with the clogs.

It's more likely due to people flushing things they aren't supposed to.

It really shouldn't but I never of as many problems with toilet clogs on the newer design ships. Possibly a better designed plumbing system?

It couldn't be smarter passengers, could it? 

We did not have toilet service on the Star Princess for a couple days.  As @CineGraphic mentioned it was because somebody did not follow instructions on what to flush.  Our cabin steward said that somebody flushed (Surprise) personal wipes. 

On our one cruise on the Royal Princess in 2019 we seemed to have an intermittent problem with the toilet.  Push the button and nothing happens.  Push again (possibly multiple times) and the toilet flushed.

We requested that somebody take a look at it, and his evaluation was that we were pushing the button incorrectly.

?????

Who knew?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Assuming the problem is fixed rather quickly I wouldn't expect much in compensation.

That ship is getting rather old and so are some of it's problems. 

OP says an issue every day…

Doesn’t sound like it’s fixed rather

quickly to me.  If at all, with another

7 days to go.

2 hours ago, Rebels82 said:

We were on this ship in May and had toilet issues. We thought they would be fixed by Sept. We were wrong! We have had toilet issues every day. Today it will not flush and is almost overflowing.  Guest Services has been called daily. My last call to Guest Service received this reply “We have no ETA. There are numerous cabins with this issue.” 

I don’t have a good feeling since this has happened in May and again now. Those of you that have had toilet issues for days on ships before, what refund did you receive? We have 7 more days here.

This has been going on a long time. Had hoped for a fix in drydock.

Are you midship?  Caribe and Aloha were big problems in Feb and Mar when we were OB.

I’d go talk to GS, if it were me. Any where the can move you?  Hope it is fixed soon, so you can focus on your vacation.

As I mentioned originally, I have spoken to Guest Services.

The problems I am aware of are Deck 8 aft and Deck 9 midship. There are several cabins on Deck 9 with issues. I can not speak for what others flush but I can say we have not flushed anything incorrectly. This ship has had this issue for months. 

1 hour ago, Rebels82 said:

As I mentioned originally, I have spoken to Guest Services.

The problems I am aware of are Deck 8 aft and Deck 9 midship. There are several cabins on Deck 9 with issues. I can not speak for what others flush but I can say we have not flushed anything incorrectly. This ship has had this issue for months. 

We were on the Caribbean in July and had some problems.  Our cabin was on deck 8 aft.  The room steward was on top of things and coordinated with engineering to keep things moving most of the time. So you might want to keep mentioning it to your room steward as well.  For us it was manageable, but we only had one time where it was clogged for several hours, if not longer.  

If it is not flushing, it should eventually flush when the clog is gone.  Avoid flushing multiple times because it won't help and it could eventually cause the toilet to overflow.

I don't doubt that there are some problems that need to be fixed in drydock.  If the pipes have been narrowed over time (think clogged artery), then when someone flushes the wrong things, the narrowed pipes clog much easier.  It could even be one elbow where the pipes make a turn that is not easily accessible to maintenance.  And it does not matter that you are doing everything correctly.  It only takes one person downstream from your cabin to cause problems for everyone else. 

I'm sure all you care about now is getting it fixed or getting moved to a cabin in another location.  But if you ever want to understand the details,  search for some of of @chengkp75's posts about toilets. Very informative and interesting. 

Good luck and if guest services and your room steward don't get you relief, I would go right to the hotel general manager.  He can not solve it, unless he gives yo a better room.  But he probably has more pull with the people that make the ship systems work.

we are currently on Caribbean - deck 15 forward

toilet would not flush - called guest services and they said that there were several cabins with problems and she would add our cabin to the list.

A few minutes later the toilet flushed by itself.  I went in and flushed it again to see if it would work and it did.  I opened my cabin door and a maintenance man was looking in the maintenance closet.  I let him know that our toilet was working and so far it has continued to function

We were in D625 in May.  It was the first time we've experienced frequent announcements about not flushing foreign objects in the toilets and these were made from the time we boarded until sailaway.  It was clear something was up with the toilets on the ship and they were trying to make it less likely that problems would happen.  We did experience problems with delayed flushing early on and our steward was going to have a plumber look at it the next morning.  Later that night the bowl would only fill.  I knew better than to keep flushing and in the middle of the night I ended up at passenger service (after visiting a public bathroom).  The plumber was there when I got back to the room.  He replaced a part.  He also cleared a blockage of, um, a naturally produced substance.  No problems with the toilet the rest of the trip but I am thinking that the artery blockage is probably a good analogy of what is happening on that ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

OP says an issue every day…

Doesn’t sound like it’s fixed rather

quickly to me.  If at all, with another

7 days to go.

Rather quickly can be a loose term on a a cruise ship repair and many problems like a non flushing toilet can include groups of cabins. 

If you wait long enough they eventually fix the problem. 

Compensation is another matter. 

We were on the Ruby last October and experienced similar issues with our toilet.  We dealt with it for almost two days and then I went down to GS and requested a room change.  They put us in a mini suite which was an unexpected treat.  We also received chocolate covered strawberries with an apology later in the cruise.

I do not pay money to cruise in a room without a functioning bathroom.

• Like 5

i spoke too soon.  We again had problems last night.  Had to call Guest Services.  My husband told me that I could use the toilet by the pool and I told him that if they did not get the problem fixed I would take a bucket to guest services and use the "public" forum to do my business so everyone would know that there was a problem - luckily for me and everyone on board - problem was fixed again, but I am really getting tired of saying a pray before each flush.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did not hear any complaints about the toilets not working last month on the Caribbean. I was on the Riviera Deck, but I had friends on various other decks around the ship. If you go to guest services, ask for Bradley. He seems to be more in tune with assuaging passengers than some of the other pursers. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, geoherb said:

I did not hear any complaints about the toilets not working last month on the Caribbean. I was on the Riviera Deck, but I had friends on various other decks around the ship. If you go to guest services, ask for Bradley. He seems to be more in tune with assuaging passengers than some of the other pursers. 

Or, see Daniella at GS, she’s been with PCL for a while.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roxievegas said:

A few minutes later the toilet flushed by itself.  I went in and flushed it again to see if it would work and it did.  I opened my cabin door and a maintenance man was looking in the maintenance closet.  I let him know that our toilet was working and so far it has continued to function

I expect the maintenance man knew as he just flushed your toilet himself.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How long will it be before tales of taking 3 days to unclog a pipe pop up, blaming the passengers.  It seems this ship has a lot of plumbing issues, and for some reason people are just armchair troubleshooting the problem to clogs, and none of the dozens of other issues that could cause this issue.  Odd that it seems most of the clogs happen on that ship only.  Where are these passengers coming from?  

• Like 1

Toilet issues are completely unacceptable to me when paying for a vacation. It’s the opposite of relaxing and rejuvenating and doesn’t provide for one’s basic needs. There’s no way I’d put up with having to use public bathrooms instead of my own. I hope they fix whatever is wrong on that ship once and for all. I know occasional problems like this happen on any given ship, but when so much of the ship is having the issue, something is up. Good luck to all trying to get this solved! 

• Like 2

My son and I were on the Caribbean Princess in late Feb/early March in a mini suite and had no toilet problems but the ship was only 1/2 full.  I have two balcony cabins (C618 and C 622 they are next to each other, don't ask me where C620 went) reserved on the April 1st sailing and I sure hope that there are no toilet problems then.  This will be my 28th Princess cruise and only had an issue once and called GS, plumber came right down and fixed it immediately.  These toilet issues are beginning to worry me.

1 hour ago, DavidsNana said:

My son and I were on the Caribbean Princess in late Feb/early March in a mini suite and had no toilet problems but the ship was only 1/2 full.  I have two balcony cabins (C618 and C 622 they are next to each other, don't ask me where C620 went) reserved on the April 1st sailing and I sure hope that there are no toilet problems then.  This will be my 28th Princess cruise and only had an issue once and called GS, plumber came right down and fixed it immediately.  These toilet issues are beginning to worry me.

You were on our sailing.  We did not have problems either, but complaints from Aloha and Caribe midship were numerous.  I couldn’t walk by Caribe midship because of the smell. They used a strong deodorizer, but it was worse.

The maintenance man was there working in the panel area every day.

So avoid midship, if you can. The 600’s should be fine.  We were forward Caribe.

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

Taking luxury toilet tissue or moist wipes on a cruise and flushing them down the toilet is is the industry's number two major problem.

Regards John

Play on words?  

People need to think about RV traveling.  There is a reason Princess and RV'ers use thin toilet paper.  Nothing else should ever be flushed:  disposable diapers, fanny wipes, tissue paper (Kleenex), personal hygiene wipes, etc.  

It's a long way down (gravity) from Lido Deck to main engines.  

• Like 2

On 9/13/2022 at 4:38 PM, Jersey42 said:

If the pipes have been narrowed over time (think clogged artery), then when someone flushes the wrong things, the narrowed pipes clog much easier.

Because of the constant vacuum I don't believe that's even possible.