Who still does the older Royal ships, and....

klfhngr

23 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I love all of my children equally.  🙂 

We do also, but for our grqndchildren there are so many more options designed for them on the Liberty/Oasis class ships that us choose those when they sail with us. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Voyager is 23 years old.  Is that considered to be "older"?

In terms of the age of the company's fleet, it's 5th oldest.  But, that really doesn't mean much.  As long as the maintenance of the ship and the cost of the various updates, cosmetics updates, ecological impact, and mechanical repairs/needs, don't effect profit, it's good.  And as long as people still wish to cruise on the ship, no big deal.  Seems to me that a lot of people really enjoy the older ships, more power to them.

https://highseascruising.com/royal-caribbean-ships-by-size-and-age/

The following table shows Royal Caribbean ships by age, from the newest ship to the oldest:

Ship Name Class Year Built
Wonder of the Seas Oasis 2022
Odyssey of the Seas Quantum-Ultra 2021
Spectrum of the Seas Quantum-Ultra 2019
Symphony of the Seas Oasis 2018
Ovation of the Seas Quantum 2016
Harmony of the Seas Oasis 2016
Anthem of the Seas Quantum 2015
Quantum of the Seas Quantum 2014
Allure of the Seas Oasis 2010
Oasis of the Seas Oasis 2009
Independence of the Seas Freedom 2008
Liberty of the Seas Freedom 2007
Freedom of the Seas Freedom 2006
Jewel of the Seas Radiance 2004
Serenade of the Seas Radiance 2003
Mariner of the Seas Voyager 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Radiance 2002
Navigator of the Seas Voyager 2002
Radiance of the Seas Radiance 2001
Adventure of the Seas Voyager 2001
Explorer of the Seas Voyager 2000
Voyager of the Seas Voyager 1999
Vision of the Seas Vision 1998
Rhapsody of the Seas Vision 1997
Enchantment of the Seas Vision 1997
Grandeur of the Seas Vision 1996
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

That is the difficulty I am having for the next two years.  😉 

We are booked on Odyssey of the Seas transatlantic cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome 22 April 2023.  Not sure if it is sold out.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, klfhngr said:

WHY?! I consider Vision class old.

Never tried Vision but of all the classes in terms of style and ocean views, Oasis class is the worst for me. I love Voyager/Freedom/Radiance the best.

• Like 1

We are sailing on Vision next week for about the 6th time, we tend to choose for the itinerary but love being onboard any ship, have sailed on all classes and liked each one.  When on Anthem etc we do the ifly but perfectly happy sat in the schooner on Vision looking out to sea.  If we had children maybe we'd go for more of the bells and whistles but I find the smaller the ship the crew tend to be friendlier as you get to know them a bit more and have the time to chat with them more.

• Like 1

Why? ..... because we choose for itinerary and destinations, not the ship.

Doesn't matter how old the ship is as long as it is well looked after and kept in good order.

Plus, the behemoths are getting a bit too big.

• Like 2

If I sail from home (UK) my options are and have been limited - the biggest ship I've cruised on is Indy - as we don't have Oasis class here.  My last couple of cruises have been with a different company but I'd like to try Anthem (she sails from the UK in the summer) or I'll have to fly somewhere

• Like 1

When we cruise with adult kids and grands we choose Freedom class or bigger.  We will be cruising the Oasis class more now that’s it finally coming to Galveston.  However we have 2 Vision class and 3 Radiance class booked in the next year. 

I can totally understand the big ships for families or if you only cruise once a year.  But those ports of call get old after a while and if you want itinerary your going to need to use the smaller ships.  

We cruise for the itinerary, though I’m partial to the voyager class.  I like the promenade and there is still a lot to do without being huge.  We cruised serenade to Alaska this year and loved it, though I didn’t love the centrum because it felt like the center of the ship was always noisy.  We’ve never been on a ship bigger then voyager, which we may try someday

I've always loved the Radiance class but just returned from sailing Serenade in a GS and was very disappointed in this category. The lack of lighting in the bathroom and certainly the location of the TV was horrible...such a bad design !!!

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I've always loved the Radiance class but just returned from sailing Serenade in a GS and was very disappointed in this category. The lack of lighting in the bathroom and certainly the location of the TV was horrible...such a bad design !!!

Oh no.  We are in a suite next month on the Radiance I am hoping it is better since we are there 23 days. 

49 minutes ago, imola said:

Oh no.  We are in a suite next month on the Radiance I am hoping it is better since we are there 23 days. 

I like Serenade well enough.  Liking a ship is really subjective.  They did some upgrades in 2017 and also redid some public areas recently.  

1 hour ago, imola said:

Yes...I was disappointed in the GS on Serenade...and board her again this coming Sunday for her Panama Canal. We'll be in an OS for this itinerary...I took a quick look at the cabin while I was onboard and it's similar to my OS on Jewel recently however, the lighting from what I saw on Serenade is just as bad as the GS was. Lack of good lighting in the bathroom is just a pet peeve of mine.

Enjoy the Radiance.

• Like 1