Hints or tips please new cruiser

StAnnesSuzi

Thinking of booking a cruise to New Zealand from Sydney with Carnival ((Splendor) but never cruised before needs some hints and tips from you lovely folks who are old hands at this about best way to book, drinks package or not and whether excursions are worth it and if not what else can you arrange to do offshore.

ANY  hints and tips welcome I am a bit nervous about the whole thing!

Honestly, my #1 advice would be to not take other people's opinions too seriously. Perhaps use them to get some ideas and see if on your end, there is enjoyment/value. There's too many seasoned cruisers here that are bored of things you might enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been to both Australia and Sydney and advise that you look for private excursions that are highly rated on places like Trip Advisor. The one port that I might consider a ship excursion would be the last one on the way back to Sydney. That's an expensive flight if you miss it.  Be sure to see Hobbiton, one of my very favorite excursions of all time and the Auckland Museum, also one of the most wonderful museums in the world. They will give you a great understanding of the cultures all through the South Pacific.  Their earthquake house is worth it.  

You will likely not need any local currency. Both countries are pretty much cashless societies. Our only hitch was at the Auckland Museum when we needed a coin for a locker. The staff then told us about free lockers upstairs.  So, problem solved.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Honestly, my #1 advice would be to not take other people's opinions too seriously. Perhaps use them to get some ideas and see if on your end, there is enjoyment/value. There's too many seasoned cruisers here that are bored of things you might enjoy.

Thank-you just looking for ideas and suggestions of what might be good to do...

11 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I've been to both Australia and Sydney and advise that you look for private excursions that are highly rated on places like Trip Advisor. The one port that I might consider a ship excursion would be the last one on the way back to Sydney. That's an expensive flight if you miss it.  Be sure to see Hobbiton, one of my very favorite excursions of all time and the Auckland Museum, also one of the most wonderful museums in the world. They will give you a great understanding of the cultures all through the South Pacific.  Their earthquake house is worth it.  

You will likely not need any local currency. Both countries are pretty much cashless societies. Our only hitch was at the Auckland Museum when we needed a coin for a locker. The staff then told us about free lockers upstairs.  So, problem solved.

Thank-you for your advice will have a look at trip advisor see what's recommended and look at your suggestions.:->

3 hours ago, StAnnesSuzi said:

Thinking of booking a cruise to New Zealand from Sydney with Carnival ((Splendor) but never cruised before needs some hints and tips from you lovely folks who are old hands at this about best way to book, drinks package or not and whether excursions are worth it and if not what else can you arrange to do offshore.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First of all, you are asking questions that are extremely subjective. Whether excursions or a drink plan is "worth it" is totally a decision only you can make. After 25 cruises, we are starting to enjoy having drink plans, but conversely, we do less and less ship's excursions, preferring to either do private excursions or simply do it ourselves (commonly called "DIY" here on Cruise Critic). But that is our personal view....it may not work for you at all.

Do you have access to a travel agent who is knowledgeable about cruising? That would be helpful.

Please look around Cruise Critic. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience here. Every question you have has been discussed here....you can go through many discussions of points of view. You can't hurt anything by exploring widely on Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

If you need to fly to port get to the cruise port at least one day early and if you can afford it - two days early.  Check your cruise lines airfares, you might be pleasantly surprised. Some lines offer very sweet deals on business/first class fares. 

cruise internet is never very good, don’t expect much. If you don’t need it don’t buy it.  Be sure to put your phone in airplane mode when the ship leaves port. 

Read the drink package details to see if it suits you.  Generally you need to drink quite a bit to make it worthwhile.  

Try all of the dining venues, at least the free ones.  Splurge a little

i love shore excursions.  For years I went totally independent but tired of all the planning and arrangements.  Now I am a big fan.  Study them carefully.  You can find reviews of the shore excursions on the other well known travel website.  Just copy and paste the title right into their search bar.

Have fun and

……never complain until you get home😉.  Complaining tends to grow like a snowball running downhill. 

• Like 2

Two suggestions:

join the Roll Call for your cruise, if there is one.  There is a separate section here for roll calls.  Scroll down to it, click on your cruise line, then ship, and look for a thread with the dates for your sailing.  That’s where you can connect with other CC members who will be sailing with you.  See what they are planning.

There is a board here for Australia/New Zealand cruisers.  Folks there will have good advice about excursions.

EM

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StAnnesSuzi said:

Welcome to CruiseCritic, and welcome to cruising!! 🙂

There have been some good suggestions already.

DO start browsing through the Carnival sub-forum, and DO watch for/join/start a Roll Call for your specific cruise.  You might find some others on your cruise looking for a few people to join them on excursions they've organized.

And then read the New Zealand/Australia "port of call" sub-forum.

I'd suggest posting there your itinerary... which ports will you be stopping at?  Then others who have already done some interesting things at some of those ports can make suggestions.  (Otherwise, you may get a lot of suggestions about activities at ports you won't be visiting.)

Are you traveling with family/friends, or just yourself?  There may be different suggestions for each of these situations.

It's a *great* way to travel:  The hotel follows you around each night. 😁  No need to pack and unpack each time, etc.!

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Look at the ship excursions from Carnival first. That gives you an idea of some of the great possibilities. Then, start searching on places like Cruise Critic ports, Trip Advisor, and Rick Steves.

While ships excursion are safe , I find them expensive and normally overcrowded, although for first time cruiser they may be the best . Join your roll call and see if you can take private excursion with some of your other cruisers. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StAnnesSuzi said:

hinking of booking a cruise to New Zealand from Sydney with Carnival ((Splendor) but never cruised before needs some hints and tips

hi Suzi, yes, it will be a great trip.  Sydney is one of the best places in the world to have fun imho, so arrive a couple of days early for the cruise so you can explore, take one of the funky commuter ferries from circular quay to Manley rather than the much more expensive harbour cruise. 

In Auckland the ship docks just at the end of the Main Street, we could have walked to the ship from our hotel if we hadn't had luggage, just wander off and explore.  going up the sky tower (or whatever its called) would be a top thing to do.  

For the South Island calls you probably want to book ships tours as the distances to the sights are a bit more complicated (we did the South Island in a camper van rather than a ship!). 

Agree with all the expert advice above. enjoy.

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First of all, you are asking questions that are extremely subjective. Whether excursions or a drink plan is "worth it" is totally a decision only you can make. After 25 cruises, we are starting to enjoy having drink plans, but conversely, we do less and less ship's excursions, preferring to either do private excursions or simply do it ourselves (commonly called "DIY" here on Cruise Critic). But that is our personal view....it may not work for you at all.

Do you have access to a travel agent who is knowledgeable about cruising? That would be helpful.

Please look around Cruise Critic. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience here. Every question you have has been discussed here....you can go through many discussions of points of view. You can't hurt anything by exploring widely on Cruise Critic.

Thankyou I will investigate the Cruise Critic website before I go! 

1 hour ago, sleepingcat said:

hi Suzi, yes, it will be a great trip.  Sydney is one of the best places in the world to have fun imho, so arrive a couple of days early for the cruise so you can explore, take one of the funky commuter ferries from circular quay to Manley rather than the much more expensive harbour cruise. 

In Auckland the ship docks just at the end of the Main Street, we could have walked to the ship from our hotel if we hadn't had luggage, just wander off and explore.  going up the sky tower (or whatever its called) would be a top thing to do.  

For the South Island calls you probably want to book ships tours as the distances to the sights are a bit more complicated (we did the South Island in a camper van rather than a ship!). 

Agree with all the expert advice above. enjoy.

Thankyou so much for your ideas and suggestions. We are arriving in Sydney a week early to explore and are staying near the cruise terminal. My husband suffers from anxiety so I need to leave no stone unturned when planning this big birthday trip for him.  We will be going to Circular Quay to check out where the cruise goes from so will definetly get the ferry to Manley. Thanks for your advice :-)) 

9 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Thankyou so much for,your insider information will be visiting some of your suggestions  and checking out Trip Advisor too xx 

5 hours ago, George C said:

While ships excursion are safe , I find them expensive and normally overcrowded, although for first time cruiser they may be the best . Join your roll call and see if you can take private excursion with some of your other cruisers. 

Brilliant advice not heard of Rick Steves will investigate! 🕵️♀️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If you need to fly to port get to the cruise port at least one day early and if you can afford it - two days early.  Check your cruise lines airfares, you might be pleasantly surprised. Some lines offer very sweet deals on business/first class fares. 

cruise internet is never very good, don’t expect much. If you don’t need it don’t buy it.  Be sure to put your phone in airplane mode when the ship leaves port. 

Read the drink package details to see if it suits you.  Generally you need to drink quite a bit to make it worthwhile.  

Try all of the dining venues, at least the free ones.  Splurge a little

i love shore excursions.  For years I went totally independent but tired of all the planning and arrangements.  Now I am a big fan.  Study them carefully.  You can find reviews of the shore excursions on the other well known travel website.  Just copy and paste the title right into their search bar.

Have fun and

……never complain until you get home😉.  Complaining tends to grow like a snowball running downhill. 

Great advice Thankyou so much 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StAnnesSuzi said:

Brilliant advice not heard of Rick Steves will investigate! 🕵️♀️

I don't think Rick Steves does anything on Australia or New Zealand...his focus is Europe with a little of the Middle East. But he has written and done stuff on cruising in general.

I think if you just keep reading 'everything', Suzi, you'll form some valid opinions and ideas.  Cruising is a seriously hedonistic activity, you do all your planning before and just enjoy yourself on the cruise.  I would thoroughly research the cruise lines who sail where you want to go.  Carnival is known as a party cruise line, and that may or may not be a good fit for you.  Don't bother with Rick Steves, he's excellent, but mainly does Europe.  Forums on CC specific to the cruise line you choose will give you lots of information and you'll always be able to find an answer to any question or concern. 

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Look at the ship excursions from Carnival first. That gives you an idea of some of the great possibilities. Then, start searching on places like Cruise Critic ports, Trip Advisor, and Rick Steves.

I would add Fodors to that list of sources you can explore

My 'opinion' is:  Drink package is worth it.  You can get special coffees, bottled water, and alcoholic drinks.  Carnival has one of the LEAST expensive drink packages out there.  

Excursions - first cruise - Again, I would use Carnival's excursions.  They, again, are some of the CHEAPEST excursion prices out there.  NCL for both above mentioned items are insanely expensive.  

Cruise excursions - You will ALWAYS make it back to the ship. 

Private Excursions - You 'MAY NOT' make it back to the ship in time for departure.  FYI ... Traffic delays.  Cars break down/flat ties, etc.  There's no AAA out of the country. 

Edited by MWarren3549

On 9/24/2022 at 10:36 AM, StAnnesSuzi said:

I see you are in the UK. 

Before looking at a cruise, have you already explored Australia?

It is such an immense country, that to travel all the way there just for a cruise seems strange. You will miss so much by being stuck on a ship! We spent five weeks travelling around, and needed another fifty weeks to really see the country.

Apologies if you are a veteran visitor to Oz !

Welcome (hopefully) to the wonderful world of cruising! I actually started both a TikTok channel and YouTube channel specifically to help new cruisers and the cruise curious. Our goal is to give straightforward answers so you can make informed decisions on what is best for you.  I'm not permitted to post links directly to the channels but you'll find Where's Walter TV on YouTube and whereswaltertv on TikTok.  In particular on the YT channel there is a playlist called "New To Cruising" and the TikTok channel is pretty much all info for new cruisers. 

We always recommend using a travel agent, ESPECIALLY for new cruisers. Travel agents are absolutely free to the traveler, they earn their commissions via the cruise lines. We are not permitted to recommend travel agents on Cruise Critic so you'll have to research a good TA on your own. But they can help you choose the best cabin for you and tell you about all the other perks on the ship. 

As far as getting started, for starters know that if you are prone to seasickness at all, you'll want to book a cabin in the middle of the ship and in the lower decks. The middle lower section of the ship is the smoothest ride. The higher you go on the ship, the more you may feel the movement.

Cruises are very unique in travel in that your itinerary can change for a variety of reasons, most often weather. You can miss stops, change ports and even change your entire itinerary right up until you leave and even when you start cruising. For instance this past week Tropical Storm Fiona forced multiple cruises to switch from a Eastern Caribbean to a Western Caribbean itinerary on the day they were leaving. 

Cruises have two types of dining, included dining and specialty dining. Included dining will be the Main Dining Room (MDR) and often another eatery or two. Specialty dining is just like going to a restaurant on land, it's an extra fee to eat at them. Most times it's a flat fee per person, but some are ala carte with regular menu pricing. 

All entertainment onboard will be included and will consist of theater shows and individual acts throughout the ship. 

You are not required to leave the ship at a port of call. You are absolutely free to stay onboard if you'd like to take advantage of a mostly empty ship. We call it a ship day. Usually about 75% of the guests leave the ship giving you free reign to enjoy the pools and all the activities onboard the ship. And if you fancy a spa day, the spa is always discounted on a port day.

That should get you started, happy to answer any other questions you may have. 🙂

• Like 1