Tropical Storm Ian to Become Hurricane with Florida in Its Path

alaska2023

We’re on Harmony this Sunday, and have been watching this one closely. It’s path is clearer now, and is headed for Florida, likely mid-week. Was thought to be named Hermine, but ended up named Ian instead. Stay safe, everyone.

Edited by alaska2023
  • Like 5

We live in Pinellas County near the Gulf of Mexico, and I'm supposed to head out in Independence from Canaveral on Monday for a girl's trip. Unless the track changes significantly, I'm going to cancel. Can't leave hubby to deal with a potentially major storm alone, and I'd be to worried to enjoy the cruise.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We live in Pinellas County near the Gulf of Mexico, and I'm supposed to head out in Independence from Canaveral on Monday for a girl's trip. Unless the track changes significantly, I'm going to cancel. Can't leave hubby to deal with a potentially major storm alone, and I'd be to worried to enjoy the cruise.

That sucks but totally understandable. I have no exciting plans in the next week but will still be rooting for a track change of course. This far inland there's never been much damage from past hurricanes (been here since 2000) but our house has existing water intrusion issues from poor construction so the heavy wind driven rain is problematic.

Hoping for the best for anyone potentially affected.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Still way early to know where Ian is going to make landfall. It may not even hit the FL peninsula.

100% correct... but usually a prepare for the worst, hope for the best situation.

Been here for 22 years, seen tracks change both in my favor and against.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

My wife and I sometimes ponder a move to Florida after retirement to make cruising easier. But man I'd be way overstressed in hurricane season.

'

If you're open to not being on a beach (which is obviously a draw to many), hurricanes really don't affect interior central Florida that much. You might lose some shingles or have superficial wind damage like gutters, trees can go down (we only have palms which won't go anywhere even in a hurricane), could lose power but usually not for that long (and that's what generators are for if you're so inclined), but the chances of any severe damage like losing a roof are extremely low.

If we didn't have the water issue I mentioned above, I wouldn't be very concerned at all right now... and this is coming from someone with anxiety issues.

Not trying to convince you, just making conversation. Florida is ummm... an interesting place, lol (I grew up in the Philly burbs and moved here after college in 2000).

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

'

Not trying to convince you, just making conversation. Florida is ummm... an interesting place, lol (I grew up in the Philly burbs and moved here after college in 2000).

LOL!!!!!!

That's an understatement - especially of one is educated.

20 minutes ago, Weekend Hookers said:

Allure is suppose to go western leaving Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. Haven’t heard of any itinerary yet?   Affects should be coming into the Florida straits monday, so I can’t imagine going that way.  

My prediction: nobody is cruising western this week. Expect a LOT of ships in Nassau.

• Like 1

We're in Eustis (central, not far from The Villages) and plan to board Mariner on October 3rd (Monday). A couple of summers ago, a nasty hurricane (can't remember name) knocked out our power for several days. A few homes were damaged by winds and lots of debris and limbs laying around. Our main concern is with the rocket launch on October 3rd, so we will head over to the Radisson next Sunday to avoid traffic jams.

Hope everyone stays safe!

1 hour ago, cruisin from florida said:

My prediction: nobody is cruising western this week. Expect a LOT of ships in Nassau.

We’re (Harmony) supposed to be in CocoCay Mon and Nassau Tues, then headed to Jamaica Thurs and Labadee Fri. I wonder if these ports are far enough away from the storm’s path that RCI won’t change the itinerary? Even if we're not in Ian’s path, I’d be good with a flip to Eastern itinerary if staying on our planned course would still mean rough seas. 🤢 

I lived in Florida for over thirty years. During that time I personally experienced one hurricane and two tropical storms. The biggest issue was the loss of power for extended time. I know some storms have been bad and thankfully I did not deal with them. At least with tropical systems you usually have time to prepare including evacuation. The path of this storm has already shifted slightly west three times over the last day. Too soon to tell where he will go bit I agree this week will be port heavy in the eastern Caribbean. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

My wife and I sometimes ponder a move to Florida after retirement to make cruising easier. But man I'd be way overstressed in hurricane season.

When we both retired we moved to Clermont, FL, until April 2020, when we moved to Hawaii.  We really miss Florida.  Plan on moving back to FL next year.  I was worried about alligators and hurricanes before we moved there - now I laugh at myself about that.

• Like 1

Miami appears to be out of the cone at the moment but still too close to avoid some rain and wind.  DH has lived in Miami all his life.  Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was my first biggie.  Then there was Wilma, Charlie,  Fred, Tom, Dick and Harry......just kidding.  But Andrew and Wilma were pretty scary.  It will be a nasty week for Florida but being in the central part of the state is better than being on the coast when it comes to weather.  Why people book during hurricane season is beyond me......it's such a crap shoot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Why people book during hurricane season is beyond me......it's such a crap shoot

1. Not everyone’s schedule allows them to cut out June-November. That’s half the year.

2. There’s a low chance your cruise will be affected by a hurricane.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

1. Not everyone’s schedule allows them to cut out June-November. That’s half the year.

2. There’s a low chance your cruise will be affected by a hurricane.

Drats....I wouldn't mind a couple of extra days at sea at their expense.  😄 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1