Tropical Storm Ian to Become Hurricane with Florida in Its Path

alaska2023

Mike, Thanks for pointing out these 2 reasons why some folks cruise during Hurricane Season.

We have vacationed the last part of August into September for over 25 years.  Except for an Alaskan cruise, they have all been beach locations. 

We quickly learned to love the lower costs of land vacations & less of “us tourists” !😄😄

So far on our August cruises we have never, ever become part of the Hurricane 😊.  I wear a patch, hubby isn’t bothered by the swells … 

We board the Harmony tomorrow, looking forward to being onboard.  

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Mike, Thanks for pointing out these 2 reasons why some folks cruise during Hurricane Season.

We have vacationed the last part of August into September for over 25 years.  Except for an Alaskan cruise, they have all been beach locations. 

We quickly learned to love the lower costs of land vacations & less of “us tourists” !😄😄

So far on our August cruises we have never, ever become part of the Hurricane 😊.  I wear a patch, hubby isn’t bothered by the swells … 

We board the Harmony tomorrow, looking forward to being onboard.  

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Be interesting to see if you still head west.  No one on board right now knows for sure.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Be interesting to see if you still head west.  No one on board right now knows for sure.  

Hi IslandLady,

Of course, this afternoon we received an email from Royal stating they’d keep us posted on any itinerary changes.

I just popped over to Carnival Board to read the latest comments on their Hurricane Ian thread.  Freedom of the Seas still going to (or was it changed to?) Nassau.  So, assuming Royal’s stop in Nassau will happen …. Unless it doesn’t. 🙃

We’ll know when the “weather let’s” Royal know …

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That sucks but totally understandable. I have no exciting plans in the next week but will still be rooting for a track change of course. This far inland there's never been much damage from past hurricanes (been here since 2000) but our house has existing water intrusion issues from poor construction so the heavy wind driven rain is problematic.

Hoping for the best for anyone potentially affected.

There was quite a bit of damage in central Florida in 2004 from Charley, Frances, and Jean.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Why people book during hurricane season is beyond me......it's such a crap shoot.

This makes it sound like there are continual changes every week. How many cruises in June, July, August, and the first half of September have been impacted by Hurricanes?

We are the "people" who take multiple cruises through the "hurricane season" every year (well,,, not 2020) and after dozens and dozens "hurricane cruises", have been diverted twice.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We're in Eustis (central, not far from The Villages) and plan to board Mariner on October 3rd (Monday). A couple of summers ago, a nasty hurricane (can't remember name) knocked out our power for several days. A few homes were damaged by winds and lots of debris and limbs laying around. Our main concern is with the rocket launch on October 3rd, so we will head over to the Radisson next Sunday to avoid traffic jams.

Hope everyone stays safe!

We are leaving on Independence on 10/3 but staying in Orlando Sunday night to attend a Halloween party at Magic Kingdom. We have a check in time of 12:30 and had planned to leave Orlando around 11 since the Halloween party is from 4-12. That would allow us to sleep in.  I wasn't aware of the launch on 10/3. How early should we leave Orlando Monday morning? Thank you for mentioning this!

7 minutes ago, vacationlover16 said:

I wasn't aware of the launch on 10/3. How early should we leave Orlando Monday morning? Thank you for mentioning this!

Latest word on the national news this evening was that the launch will most likely be cancelled.

We are flying from Orlando to Rome on Wednesday, picking up Brilliance in Ravenna on Oct 2. I changed our flight into IAD from afternoon, with short connection, to a morning flight, with over 5 hours connection, just to be safe. If we get hit, we'll get hit while we are on vacation. Our "daughter" lives with us, and I'm not too concerned. 

The last time we sailed the Mediterranean, in Sept 2017, we flew to Barcelona the day the airport opened after Irma. I guess me and the Med bring hurricanes. 

We have had land vacations affected by hurricanes as well, and yet we still plan travel at this time. It's much less expensive, the weather is typically still warm no matter where you go, and there are fewer tourists around. 

On 9/24/2022 at 7:28 AM, alaska2023 said:

We’re on Harmony this Sunday, and have been watching this one closely. It’s path is clearer now, and is headed for Florida, likely mid-week. Was thought to be named Hermine, but ended up named Ian instead. Stay safe, everyone.

Apparently, the track of Ian, based on models, has moved west and it is likely to hit south of Tallahassee.  If that is the case, you should go ahead with your cruise.

Still, it can change.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:28 AM, alaska2023 said:

We’re on Harmony this Sunday, and have been watching this one closely. It’s path is clearer now, and is headed for Florida, likely mid-week. Was thought to be named Hermine, but ended up named Ian instead. Stay safe, everyone.

Apparently, the track of Ian, based on models, has moved west and it is likely to hit south of Tallahassee.  If that is the case, you should go ahead with your cruise.

Still, it can change.

At this point after listening to the local meteorologists on TV who become experts on tropical weather, I am expecting rain and some wind as the storm tracks north and makes landfall in the Florida panhandle or Alabama.

I live an hour north of Tampa on the coast. No worries about flooding as I am at an elevation above fifty feet . My house is the concrete bunker of the building codes put in place in the early 2000s (windows are impact resistant up to 185 mph). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Still, it can change.

Yeah, fairly big track shift yesterday from morning to night.

Still lots of uncertainty but those of us in central FL and especially the west coast certainly hope it continues to move westward.

(I realize this is selfish as it means it will hit others but it is what it is.)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Still lots of uncertainty but those of us in central FL and especially the west coast certainly hope it continues to move westward.

(I realize this is selfish as it means it will hit others but it is what it is.)

Me too

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

When tracking hurricanes, I tell my wife - "I don't wish hurricanes on anyone, but I don't want them to come here." I don't consider that being selfish.

22 hours ago, island lady said:

Drats....I wouldn't mind a couple of extra days at sea at their expense.  😄 

In 30 cruises during hurricane season have had two itinerary changes and one case where we stayed out 3 days extra.  All internet and drink packages were extended and by the time we were back in Florida 2/3 of passengers had gotten off earlier (MTD had more waiters than customers).  And the following shortened cruise had 50% refund as OBC and 50% as an FCC.  Also fewer passengers since FLL had just reopened that morning.

• Like 1

We just came off from our cruise today - we should fly back home to Europe on Wednesday from Miami airport. Trying to follow the weaher news about the hurricane, but cant get it clear if any flights will take-off in those kinds of weather conditions? Any advices fron previous experiences what to do? One option is to try to catch an earlier flight on Mon or Tuesdsy 

15 minutes ago, danilija said:

We just came off from our cruise today - we should fly back home to Europe on Wednesday from Miami airport. Trying to follow the weaher news about the hurricane, but cant get it clear if any flights will take-off in those kinds of weather conditions? Any advices fron previous experiences what to do? One option is to try to catch an earlier flight on Mon or Tuesdsy 

Rain probability in south Florida is highest Tuesday -Thursday. 80-100%. Wind gusts possible in the 40-50 mph Wed-Thur. Those are gusts but airline travel will be impacted on those days I imagine.

21 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

Latest word on the national news this evening was that the launch will most likely be cancelled.

😁 Here's a couple good sites for launch schedules/cancellations:

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

https://www.rocketlaunch.live/

And from up the coast here's last nights SpaceX launch from the condo balcony 😊

image.png.9b8c2508ae4d3950129edf6faff57bc5.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, danilija said:

It's not really a matter if they can take off as much as it is them not wanting planes (and maybe more importantly crew) getting stranded there for multiple days.  With a big storm coming in airlines often pre-cancel flights and move their planes elsewhere.

That said MIami should be OK.

34 minutes ago, danilija said:

Miami is out of the cone of danger - you'll be fine. Safe travels ✈️

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Central Florida is where evacuees go TO. Keep that in mind.

15 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Central Florida is where evacuees go TO. Keep that in mind.

Thanks but I have specific reasons for wanting the storm to stay as far away as possible. Been in the same house since 2003 & experienced every hurricane to impact my area. If not for those reasons I really wouldn’t care a ton.

• Like 1