Tropical Storm Ian to Become Hurricane with Florida in Its Path

alaska2023

13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Orlando mayor is saying they are going to take a hit from a Category 1 hurricane by the time Ian gets there and will hit directly like Charley unless it takes a turn elsewhere but the odds are showing a direct hit to the Orlando area.  Flights will more than likely be affected there. 

Yeah, current track (which we have seen change very late before of course) has it coming just west of Orlando, slightly west of where I live (not far from Disney). The catch, of course, is that it's actually worse to be on the northeast side of the storm than have it come right over you in many respects.

Agree about flights although I'm obviously focused on my house. Off to drain some water out of my pool...

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yeah, current track (which we have seen change very late before of course) has it coming just west of Orlando, slightly west of where I live (not far from Disney). The catch, of course, is that it's actually worse to be on the northeast side of the storm than have it come right over you in many respects.

Agree about flights although I'm obviously focused on my house. Off to drain some water out of my pool...

Good luck to you.  The point of entry now is north of Clearwater very close to the Tampa Bay area then making its way toward Central and Northern Florida. 

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Good luck to you.  The point of entry now is north of Clearwater very close to the Tampa Bay area then making its way toward Central and Northern Florida. 

Thanks. Probably mentioned it in this thread, but not overly concerned as we've been in this same house since we had it built in 2003. Not expecting damage. Only issue we have is an ongoing water intrusion issue along one wall due to poor construction that no one has ever been able to fully solve. We know how to handle it but it's a huge pain in the ass and stress we shouldn't have to deal with.

Once it gets bad, my main concern becomes hoping the power stays on so I can watch TV and run my dryer as I'm soaking up water with towels, lol. Last one that unexpectedly went straight up the center of the state right over us (I can't remember names, maybe 5 years ago or so?) never took out our power which was fortunate as I was literally awake all night replacing towels and running the dryer non-stop.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, coffeebean said:

No stress in Central Florida. The storms are usually low cat hurricanes or tropical storms or depressions by the time they reach us here.

That's what they all said about Charlie (Cat 3), Francis and Jean (both cat 2) right before all three crossed over our house just south of Orlando in 2004. BTW, Faye never became a hurricane in 2008, but crisscrossed the state several times and dumped several feet of rain before it finally left. 

Edited by orville99

9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Cruising not going to happen out of Tampa this weekend, but Miami and Port Everglades should be fine.  Port Canaveral could be ok by Saturday.  Staying in Orlando or PC on Thursday or Friday night could be iffy.

We are on a ship due back to Port Canaveral on Friday and are pretty much planning on returning Saturday instead. 

27 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Cruising not going to happen out of Tampa this weekend, but Miami and Port Everglades should be fine.  Port Canaveral could be ok by Saturday.  Staying in Orlando or PC on Thursday or Friday night could be iffy.

At this point I’m most concerned about getting a Thursday night flight into Miami for a Friday AM departure. I have a feeling flights into the area will be canceled en mass. 

Anyone who lives north of Florida and plans to drive to port later this week, don't do it.

You will be driving into a hurricane. IS-95 in Georgia will also be impacted.

Tampa Airport is closing to flights later today through Saturday.

While Miami Airport has posted on its website that it is still open, many flights are delayed or cancelled.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Allure, Liberty and Mariner have changes in their itineraries so far. 

Where are you seeing this for Liberty?  There’s is nothing on the website I can find but on a ship tracker I can see they are still out in the gulf to the west of the storm.  ETA for Cozumel is later today?

1 minute ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Where are you seeing this for Liberty?  There’s is nothing on the website I can find but on a ship tracker I can see they are still out in the gulf to the west of the storm.  ETA for Cozumel is later today?

It was published on Cruise Hive:

"After departure from Galveston on September 24, Liberty of the Seas is hanging out in the Gulf of Mexico, well away from the storm. Once the storm has passed, the ship will make its intended stops in Grand Cayman and Jamaica but will not go to Cozumel. Liberty of the Seas is due back in Galveston on October 2, when Hurricane Ian will have moved away."

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Could be worse than Charley. Bigger and slower.

Charley was a Cat 4 when it hit land around Port Charlotte.  Ian is a Cat 3 and while it will intensify to a Cat 4 it is expected to become a 3 or 2 when it hits land (so far) the next update from the National Hurricane Center will be coming out soon.

Edited by livingonthebeach

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Charley was a Cat 4 when it hit land around Port Charlotte.  Ian is a Cat 3 and while it will intensify to a Cat 4 it is expected to become a 3 or 2 when it hits land (so far) the next update from the National Hurricane Center will be coming out soon.

I don't mean bigger as in intensity, but a bigger storm by area. You'll have wider swaths of persistent heavy rain than Charley had

Edited by smokeybandit

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Could be worse than Charley. Bigger and slower.

17 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't mean bigger as in intensity, but a bigger storm by area. You'll have wider swaths of persistent heavy rain than Charley had

Charlie was the strongest (eye wall passed directly over our house) but very compact and was moving quickly, but Francis and Jean (which made landfall within a mile of each other at Barefoot Bay) ended up being a lot more problematic as they were geographically larger and slowly crossed the state (and their eye walls also passed directly over our town) because they dumped a lot more rain and it lasted for days.

18 hours ago, P.A. said:

Harmony of the Seas currently headed towards Bahamas. Anyone know if that is still happening? My daughter and family on this ship currently. (Sept 25-Oct 2). Thanks!

We were supposed to do eastern last week, but Fiona changed it to western.  Home now to "batten down the hatches" for Ian.  

But if Harmony is sticking to western...I assume she can go south, down under the already passing Ian.   Might even pull the bad weather up with it, and give pax a nice weather week down there.  Hoping.  🙂  

I am checking my emergency supply of Spam right now...and baking some bread.  Peanut butter...check!!  Two cases of Dasani water...check.  OK...now how do I keep my Sauvignon Blanc cold if we lose power??!!  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Charlie was the strongest (eye wall passed directly over our house) but very compact and was moving quickly, but Francis and Jean (which made landfall within a mile of each other at Barefoot Bay) ended up being a lot more problematic as they were geographically larger and slowly crossed the state (and their eye walls also passed directly over our town) because they dumped a lot more rain and it lasted for days.

Francis and Jean tore up my sister's house in Vero Beach pretty badly.  😞 

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Francis and Jean tore up my sister's house in Vero Beach pretty badly.  😞 

We had Disney's Vero Beach resort booked for November that year and as far as we could walk up and down what was left of the beach (probably a mile or two), every condo or home along the beach looked like a bomb had gone off, and I probably could have built a house out of all the debris that littered the shoreline. We drove up to Melbourne on the way home, and the shoreside damage was just as bad. 

• Like 1

Supposed to be on Independence out of PC on Friday. We live in New Hampshire and were scheduled to fly into MCO Thursday night.  Doubt that flight will happen.  Can’t just drive from here so changed to a flight to FLL arriving 11PM Thursday night, then we’ll drive up.  New flight is FULL.  We’ll see if it happens.