My thoughts on Iona, Norwegian Fjords - September 2022

degenerateftw

11 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

When cruising we tend to have our showers before we get ready to go out for the evening, do the towels still get changed in the evening? Don't fancy still damp towels for my morning ablutions!!

No, I'm afraid not. That's the main problem.  We asked our steward to leave extra ones outside when he delivered our ice at 3.30, he did in fact put them inside the room on the bed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

On Arcadia in August there were wine waiters in MDR and they kept your bottle for the next night. Maybe depends on the ship. They all seem to have slightly differing practices. 

Friends got off Aurora today and said there were no wine waiters

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No, I'm afraid not. That's the main problem.  We asked our steward to leave extra ones outside when he delivered our ice at 3.30, he did in fact put them inside the room on the bed.

We shower in the evening however our towels are always dry come morning.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We shower in the evening however our towels are always dry come morning.

Might depend on how hairy one is!! My hair will soak a towel for days and my husband is not folicly challenged on his head or body.  If there's no spares I take some from the pool just for my hair!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Did the ordinary waiters take orders for wine? If not did you have to collect a glass before entering the dining room for dinner. 

They said food waiters took wine order. They didn’t have to wait any longer than before.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just been speaking to a couple of people on FB who are just off Aurora.  They had no problem ordering wine and bottles were kept for the next night even on Freedom dining, so obviously it's easier on the smaller ship.

I think it's a case of who's in charge of the dining room.  We had our wine kept on freedom dining on Britannia last time out.  Mind you we never had much left ...  

Our problem the time before was the dining room not stocking the wines included in the Captain and Commodore collections, that really was impossible.

4 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Did the ordinary waiters take orders for wine? If not did you have to collect a glass before entering the dining room for dinner. 

Wine glasses were part of the pre-laid standard table layout on Ventura and Aurora this summer. If you wanted wine you asked the waiter.

A kind of related question…

These days I find wine gives me a bad headache.

When we cruised on Iona in May, the MDR drinks choice was wine or soft drinks. I had wine the first few nights but then had to switch to soft drinks for the rest of the cruise. . 

Cocktails and spirits don’t cause me to get a headache but weren’t on the menu. Would it have been acceptable to get a drink from the bar and take it into dinner with me?  We’ve got a 2 week cruise next summer and although I’m not a big drinker I’d prefer not to have to stick to soft drinks each night we’re in the MDR.

24 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

When we cruised on Iona in May, the MDR drinks choice was wine or soft drinks. I had wine the first few nights but then had to switch to soft drinks for the rest of the cruise. . 

Cocktails and spirits don’t cause me to get a headache but weren’t on the menu. Would it have been acceptable to get a drink from the bar and take it into dinner with me?  We’ve got a 2 week cruise next summer and although I’m not a big drinker I’d prefer not to have to stick to soft drinks each night we’re in the MDR.

I’ve taken an unfinished cocktail or G&T into the dining room so pretty sure there wouldn’t be a problem with that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Absolutely!  We do it all the time, albeit with wine. 

18 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I’ve taken an unfinished cocktail or G&T into the dining room so pretty sure there wouldn’t be a problem with that.

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely!  We do it all the time, albeit with wine. 

Thank you both, that’s very good to know!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Sulfites/sulphites, apparently (assuming, as I do, that you’re not drinking excessively so as to cause headache)

Look for sulfite free wines.  They are often, though not exclusively, organic

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We pretty much always take a drink with us into the MDR.  Usually a wine for the Ole Lady and a beer for me.  I prefer to have a draught beer, which I don't think you can order in the MDR, though I stand to be corrected on that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grumpycruiser60plus said:

We are currently on board Arcadia, Narvik right now, the mdr waiters take your wine order as you sit down & will keep for next night if you so wish. We also have nightly turndown/ tidy bathroom & towels. Plus the dredded chocs. 

We are on her from next Tuesday, your comments sound encouraging.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Sulfites/sulphites, apparently (assuming, as I do, that you’re not drinking excessively so as to cause headache)

That's OK but sulphur dioxide is used to suppress oxidation and prevent mouldy growths which will certainly affect the taste of your wine.

9 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Thank you.

I have to admit I am a cheap and cheerful wine drinker, I won't say which wines I like or some of you will never talk to me again 🤣

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2022 at 4:50 PM, Megabear2 said:

Might depend on how hairy one is!! My hair will soak a towel for days and my husband is not folicly challenged on his head or body.  If there's no spares I take some from the pool just for my hair!

And removal of make up too. I like having fresh towels in the evening. 

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you.

I have to admit I am a cheap and cheerful wine drinker, I won't say which wines I like or some of you will never talk to me again 🤣

My wallet twitches whenever I buy a bottle of wine over £5, so you are not alone ! These days however,  I find that I am spending £6 a bottle, unfortunately.  M&S have got some decent bottles now at the £6 price point. 

However whenever Tesco/Asda etc have a 25% off sale I stock up like mad,  and manage to fill up the wardrobe (we live in a small house !) with enough bottles that just about see us through to the next offer. 

It is, however, a bit embarrassing when buying 30 bottles of wine to be asked if we are having a party,  only to say that it is just for the two of us for a month or so ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4