Alcohol Prices

fwman

Does anyone know the per drink prices.

The alcohol drink package for 2 with gratuities is $1288 for 7 nights. That works out to $92 per day / per person. I’m guessing that’s about 6 alcohol drinks per day per person. I don’t think we will have that many every day but will drink water which is included.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, fwman said:

The alcohol drink package for 2 with gratuities is $1288 for 7 nights. That works out to $92 per day / per person. I’m guessing that’s about 6 alcohol drinks per day per person. I don’t think we will have that many every day but will drink water which is included.

Thanks

Might be break-even OR even cheaper to go a la carte then

• Like 2

Going without this trip.  I struggled in March (when the price with gratuities was $71 per day) to get what I perceived to be my money’s worth.  I don’t drink smoothies or specialty coffees, had a few waters but also found the ship’s water tasted perfectly fine, maybe 1 soda per day.  By day 4 I was ordering drinks I really didn’t want.  Will be Diamond after this cruise so the vouchers will be plenty.

• Like 4

If you are trying to figure the a la carte per drink cost vs. the cost of the drink package, this might help. The drink package includes drinks up to $13. Add the gratuity to that and the drink will cost you $15.34. Not all drinks cost $13 though. I'm a gin & tonic drinker and those typically cost $10 ($11.80 with tip). Beers are less than that. Multiply the number of drinks you think you'll drink per day and see if the cost of the drink package is a better deal. How many drinks you'll drink in a day is affected by many variables i.e. port day vs. at sea day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fwman said:

Thanks

Not sure if you know you can bring 2 x 750 ml of wine or champagne so that might help.

48 minutes ago, poocher said:

Going without this trip.  I struggled in March (when the price with gratuities was $71 per day) to get what I perceived to be my money’s worth.  

This happened to us in 2017. It was also a TP with about 17 sea days, but still had trouble getting our moneys worth. Never again. We now get 5 free drinks for D+ and there are days where we don’t even drink those. It does help if we are meeting up with someone and hanging out. Having a drinking buddy sure helps. 😆

• Like 2

IMHO, I think that by pricing the alcohol package through the roof, RCI is incentivizing people to over drink to get their money's worth. I know the cruise contract absolves RCI of any wrong doing, however, do they really want drunk passengers hurting themselves and / or others? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fwman said:

Thanks

If the price is $92 for your cruise (it does vary), it'll be more like 7 cocktails just to hit the "break even point".  Most people can drink all they want and spend less by paying by-the-drink.  To make this financially viable, you have to be the person who'll drink a for-cost beverage at breakfast and lunch, a few in the afternoon by the pool, then have several at dinner and after.  Consider how much you'll really drink.

Remember: 

- You can bring two bottles of wine onboard. 

- The drink of the day is more like $10 instead of $13-14. 

- Beer, if you ever drink that, is more like $10. 

- If your itinerary is port-heavy, you'll find a couple bars near every port -- and it's easy to stop and have a few before returning to the ship.  

• Like 2

Every person is different. You need to figure out what is best for you. For some they do not care about the price and will pay it upfront so that they do not have to worry about any surprise charges after the cruise even if they do not get their money's worth. My advice if you get the drink package is do not drink any beer, try different drinks you may have never thought of trying because you can always toss it if you do not like it and get something else. 

If you also drink coffee and/or soda, keep in mind those are in that price too so that may help "justify" the price, or not. If you liked mixed drinks or wine, it's a good chance to try something new at low risk - if you don't like it, toss it and try something else rather than forcing yourself to drink it like you might drinking a la cart. 

Just things to consider. But yeah, it may very well be cheaper to go drink-by-drink. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SRF said:

Also get some fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast.  A speciality coffee or two.

A few bottles of water.

It adds up.

Yeah, we always request a bottle of water with our drink, and are always granted that request. It's a good way to (a) stay hydrated, and (b) stock up on bottled waters for excursions. 

Edited by Zach1213

On 10/4/2022 at 7:25 AM, fwman said:

Thanks

We are diamond and have never paid for alcohol on a Royal C. cruise.   We became diamond via Celebrity elite.

We find the drink packages to be way too much, but we are moderate drinkers and four drinks a day is plenty for us.

We drink the ship's tap water, don't drink coffee after breakfast or sodas.