NCL prices are ridiculous!

Encore37

Here's my take, especially if you're considering MSC (I know this is an NCL board)...

NCL prices have definitely gone up, but considering the all included (when compared to Carnival or RCCL), they're pretty good. You won't catch me on Carnival or RCCL because they never include beverage packages, and when you add them, the price skyrockets way above NCL.

I have done one MSC in YC, and will be sailing again with MSC in YC in 2 weeks. If you're considering it, DO IT. I haven't sailed outside YC, but the consensus seems to be that the experience is much lower than NCL, even when taking the price savings into account. BUT...YC is consistently regarded as the best "ship within a ship" concept, and although not cheap, it's WAY cheaper than NCL Haven.

My love is NCL...maybe because I've sailed with them the most. I will continue to sail NCL. But also will starting sailing with X (after my recent cruise...loved it) depending on costs vs NCL, as well as MSC YC for something special when we want to splurge.

• Like 3

MSC always has a ton of solo deals available while NCL tends to have their deals at the relative last minute. Looking at that purple fruit website, the latest NCL solo deal is December.  MSC has a good selection all the way out to 2024 at various price points.  I've personally never tried them because, as CAS, my supplement is always waived and I usually qualify for a balcony or better.  If that weren't the case, as much as I enjoy NCL, there's no way I'd be sailing them.

Edited by phillygwm

I too have made the switch... at least with my bookings.  I've been on the fence for the last year, because of NCL's pricing.  I do have 2 more cruises booked with NCL in 2023 as I finish up my bucket list of entertainment I want to see.   But my early-2024 cruise is booked on Royal, and I will be doing one on Carnival sandwiched in-between the others.  

I'm sure the NCL advocates will say I'll get a lesser experience on the other lines.  But at this point, I'd rather go on MORE cruises than fewer.  The way to do that is to change lines.  I do feel a sense of relief that I've seen all the NCL offerings I wanted & that I'm not stuck with NCL's higher prices in the future.   I've enjoyed every NCL cruise but don't enjoy being taken advantage of...  which is how NCL has made me feel.

• Like 7

On 10/5/2022 at 10:05 AM, z4oslo said:

If I was REALLY into listening to announcements in 6 different languages for hours I would sail with MSC every cruise.

Sadly i'm really not into that .. at all.

Our first trip that was true including Captain at first show.  No longer doing that out of US.

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 11:05 AM, z4oslo said:

If I was REALLY into listening to announcements in 6 different languages for hours I would sail with MSC every cruise.

Sadly i'm really not into that .. at all.

So is it the actual sound of a foreign language that causes you so much distress as to effectively boycott a cruiseline?   Or is there something specific about certain languages that prevent you from just ignoring the announcements you don’t understand until you hear one in the single, only language you do understand?

I presume you understand than when you spend $12,000 on a Mediterranean cruise, you’re going to be exposed to foreign cultures, and that would include hearing how they speak.   Some people consider that part of the cultural experience they paid all that money to have.  

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

So is it the actual sound of a foreign language that causes you so much distress as to effectively boycott a cruiseline?   Or is there something specific about certain languages that prevent you from just ignoring the announcements you don’t understand until you hear one in the single, only language you do understand?

I presume you understand than when you spend $12,000 on a Mediterranean cruise, you’re going to be exposed to foreign cultures, and that would include hearing how they speak.   Some people consider that part of the cultural experience they paid all that money to have.  

I speak 3 languages, Spanish being my native language, you would be surprised the times people have said to me they can't understand me even though, i learned English at a very young age of 9 and am very fluent. C'est la vie :-).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I didn't love the announcements in multiple languages either but not because I'm some uneducated cretin. Usually loudspeaker announcements are hard to understand and slightly annoying but they are usually only about a minute long. When there are six languages to go through, now that goes on for six minutes. 

Edited by Chasing Summer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JMHO, but it sure sounds like a first world problem when the major concern is announcements in various languages so everyone can understand it.

Just ask yourself: Would I be happier if they only made the announcement in one language? If so, what language would they choose? How would I feel if the chosen language was one that I didn't speak?

Perhaps MSC should just make all of their announcements in Italian. 🤔

• Like 4

Bottom line, there are a wealth of cruises, cruise ships, cruise lines, itineraries, etc available at any given time.  If you don't like the fare price, or you don't like the perks, if you don't like the liquor or food selections, if you don't like the way the ships are divided up, if you don't like the cabins, if you don't like the service, etc, etc, etc.....there are other choices you can make.

In all frankness, if I announced and or posted every cruise I looked at that I didn't like because of the fare, or for any other reason, I would dominate every topic for every cruise line in every thread, here at CC.

Don't like this cruise line, regardless of reason?  You have way more choices.

• Like 5

encore 37. let me start by saying i am not an ncl cheerleader.

however, you as a paying customer have reached the ultimate and most simple resolution to "allegedly" ncl high prices.  you booked with another line. 

it's no different with any other     product or commodity. if you dont like the price, look elsewhere or buy something else.

in the past,i've checked with other lines, and if the prices were comparable, the ncl cabins were larger, and that appeals to me more than the actual price i might save booking with a different line

you think ncl prices are ridiculous, i live in los angles, try paying over $7.00 for a gallon of regular gasoline

• Like 3

What I do not like is trying to price out a cruise and all lines are going the same route.  You get the starting at price, next you need to add for picking a floor, getting the free stuff, any other upgrades etc to get to your price that is no where near where you thought you were starting at.

I hate doing all the work to end up at a price that I say "too much".

MSC used to be different and a balcony was a balcony.  Now they have different prices per floor etc.

Takes some work to get to a bottom line and makes it very hard to compare any cruise line with any cruise line without doing a lot of work.

Doing a land trip next - Ireland.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

What I do not like is trying to price out a cruise and all lines are going the same route.  You get the starting at price, next you need to add for picking a floor, getting the free stuff, any other upgrades etc to get to your price that is no where near where you thought you were starting at.

I hate doing all the work to end up at a price that I say "too much".

MSC used to be different and a balcony was a balcony.  Now they have different prices per floor etc.

Takes some work to get to a bottom line and makes it very hard to compare any cruise line with any cruise line without doing a lot of work.

Doing a land trip next - Ireland.

But that feeling of actually finding a sweet deal is amazing! Heck, sometimes (like every day) I get bored at work (as I am now) and just price out cruises on a variety of lines. I have no intention of taking them, but I enjoy seeing the prices...ok, I might be a bit odd, but hey, it's my daily workertainment. I don't like having in-person conversations with folks, so I've have to waste my in-office time somehow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

But that feeling of actually finding a sweet deal is amazing! Heck, sometimes (like every day) I get bored at work (as I am now) and just price out cruises on a variety of lines. I have no intention of taking them, but I enjoy seeing the prices...ok, I might be a bit odd, but hey, it's my daily workertainment. I don't like having in-person conversations with folks, so I've have to waste my in-office time somehow. 

You're the person that, when the time does come to spring for a cruise, has the whole thing all planned out with flawless detail.

Respect.

We got pretty good pricing from NCL this week.

We book Bliss for 5 nights out of California and with the included drink package, it was only slightly "cheaper" than getting the 4 day on Carnival. And it's a day longer.

I used quotes because on face value NCL was slightly more but when you add in the Cheers package on Carnival, NCL was cheaper. Wife and I always get the drink package so on Carnival that would have been about $400 more to the cost of the cruise.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, Encore37 said:

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm solo but in the past I've gotten much better solo deals on NCL.  I'd understand if the sailings were full but they're not close to capacity on pretty much every sailing.

I'm booked for December 11th but the prices are similar for pretty much any week in Nov/Dec.  NCL can't touch MSC any week this year.

Thank you for clarifying your status as solo. I went on the NCL Joy, March of 2022 as a solo in a Club Balcony Suite.  My fare before taxes was $825.00. It was a week cruise.  I am going on a NCL cruise on the breakaway, December 4, 2022.  My sister wanted to join.  She would be a Solo.  She had to pay double unless she did a "Solo" inside cabin.  We simply did not book it.

Solo cruising is unique from a pricing standpoint.  Some times you can crush it, sometimes it is over priced.  It depends on how filled the ship is.  You will enjoy the MSC cruise for sure.  The issue on the pricing is not an NCL issue.  It is an availability issue.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We are kindred spirits.

I may not cruise for a whole year.  But, it's a pretty good bet I am regularly perusing the cruise deals weekly, at the very least, ready to pounce on a good deal when I find one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Thank you for clarifying your status as solo. I went on the NCL Joy, March of 2022 as a solo in a Club Balcony Suite.  My fare before taxes was $825.00. It was a week cruise.  I am going on a NCL cruise on the breakaway, December 4, 2022.  My sister wanted to join.  She would be a Solo.  She had to pay double unless she did a "Solo" inside cabin.  We simply did not book it.

Solo cruising is unique from a pricing standpoint.  Some times you can crush it, sometimes it is over priced.  It depends on how filled the ship is.  You will enjoy the MSC cruise for sure.  The issue on the pricing is not an NCL issue.  It is an availability issue.

Gary...couldn't agree more.  Solos do present a unique opportunity, especially when you "crush" a cruise line that's being solo fare friendly, as they are sometimes.

And, like anything else, if you can find a ship a Cruiseline is trying to fill, you can indeed score deals, regardless of the cruise line.  The higher the fares, the more likely the ship is filling to the cruise lines' liking.

MSC is pretty unique in and of themselves, as they are saying their largest ships out of North America.  Those are harder to fill because of their capacity.  As such, they'll have lower fares.  Plus, they are relatively new to this market, given the COVID pause.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Gary...couldn't agree more.  Solos do present a unique opportunity, especially when you "crush" a cruise line that's being solo fare friendly, as they are sometimes.

And, like anything else, if you can find a ship a Cruiseline is trying to fill, you can indeed score deals, regardless of the cruise line.  The higher the fares, the more likely the ship is filling to the cruise lines' liking.

MSC is pretty unique in and of themselves, as they are saying their largest ships out of North America.  Those are harder to fill because of their capacity.  As such, they'll have lower fares.  Plus, they are relatively new to this market, given the COVID pause.

You are going to have such a good time.  MSC is a very nice cruise brand.  When you compare NCL, Royal and MSC; there are more similarities than differences.  It kind of reminds me about comparing Ford and Chevy trucks.  Yet, brand loyalty is a thing.  I have personally gone on lots of brands.  My favorite thing is to figure out, what is really special about a brand, then on the next cruise it is part of my plan to leverage it again.  

Please tell us all how the trip goes.

20 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Gary,  favor.  Struggling with best time to arrive Breakaway in NOLA in March.  Would appreciate  your experience on your December cruise.  

What time arrived.

How long in lines.

Seating available.

Boarding time.

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What time arrived.

I do my online check-in the moment it is available which is 21 days in advance.  The reason is I want the earliest boarding time possible.  That is 09:00 AM.  This puts you in group one or two when the ship is cleared.  I then make a "B" line to the Vibe Beach Club. 

How long in lines.

New Orleans is not a great and organized port.  Unlike the new NCL Terminal in Miami.  As indicated above, I get to the port at about 08:45 AM.  Less traffic and makes the construction less of a issue. When I arrive, there is already a line.  Not that long but there.  My strategy is get in and avoid long lines even if I have to sit for an hour or so. 

Seating available.

Yes of course, first come, first served.  I find a chair by the entry door for quick boarding when it happens. 

Boarding time.

This is not consistent because it has so much to do with the last weeks guest following the rules. My best guess is Group One/Two board between 10:50 AM to 11:15 AM. 

I hope that helps.

PS: I love NOLA so I always get up early and get coffee and Beignets.  This is a highlight to my trip.

Edited by Sthrngary