Nieuw Statendam Laundry Questions

alyssamma

It is absolutely possible to do this; the first time you sent your laundry in, just check the 'unlimited' box on the laundry slip. You will be charged for the number of days/nights in your cruise regardless if you wait to the 3rd or 4th day to send, so send away!

As far as I know that is the price.

From @Crew News

Laundry-List-pdf.jpg

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, crystalspin said:

It is absolutely possible to do this; the first time you sent your laundry in, just check the 'unlimited' box on the laundry slip. You will be charged for the number of days/nights in your cruise regardless if you wait to the 3rd or 4th day to send, so send away!

As far as I know that is the price.

From @Crew News

Laundry-List-pdf.jpg

Thanks for sharing this!  I often do the stuff the bag on other lines. Although, I don't see a price on this option.  Any clues on the cost?  Thanks in advance,

11 minutes ago, Derbie said:

Thanks for sharing this!  I often do the stuff the bag on other lines. Although, I don't see a price on this option.  Any clues on the cost?  Thanks in advance,

In Caribbean, $7/day x nights of cruise or $20/bag.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Derbie said:

What AFN posted for NON-European and $9/day for all of cruise, $30/bag (as VMax posted for his 12-night cruise) for European.

• 1 month later...

Looking at a 20+ dayer on the Nieuw Statendam. Of course, laundry becomes an issue at that length. I am but a lowly 1-star on HAL.

I can understand a small service fee for clothes washing, but having no self-laundry options on the ship and looking at these prices... it's cheaper to just throw undershirts, underwear, and socks out and buy replacements.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I can understand a small service fee for clothes washing, but having no self-laundry options on the ship and looking at these prices... it's cheaper to just throw undershirts, underwear, and socks out and buy replacements.

The stuff-a-bag option worked well for us, you'd be amazed at how much you can get into one of those bags.  Trust me, if my DH thinks it is a good deal (he does think that),  it's a good deal 😉

• Like 1

Here is a photo of our laundry when it was returned.  The shirts were beautifully pressed.  All this was stuffed (rolled) in one bag for $30 (transatlantic cruise from Spain).C6B17A4E-9346-4CB0-A6E8-652C37A7425C.thumb.jpeg.f3f150296e70452930207bc92fd3a34a.jpeg1 tshirt, 2 jeans, 3 yoga pants, 2 athletic shorts, 2 short sleeve dress shirts, 2 long sleeve dress shirts

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Looking at a 20+ dayer on the Nieuw Statendam. Of course, laundry becomes an issue at that length. I am but a lowly 1-star on HAL.

Hi Mike, we used the blue bag on all our cruises.  If you roll every item of clothing we have put at least 7 days worth of clothing in there if not more for two people.  

• Like 1

Holland has always done a phenomenal job with our laundry, and it's true that you can stuff a lot into the bag.   It's a cloth bag, so it doesn't rip (like some other cruise lines).   Roll the clothes tightly and stuff them down into the bag.   There's a drawstring, so nothing will fall out.  

• Like 1

Have you ever used the “free” laundry room on a luxury line cruise ship?  On a sea day it is constant activity.  Find a washer that works, consider whether you should remove someone’s not quite dry laundry from a dryer that signals the clothes are dry, determine where to put someone’s dry laundry when you want to use the dryer.  Wait for the iron to be free for pressing.  I was surprised that a lot of men are responsible for doing laundry on the ship!

Laundry is a bargain on a HAL ship whether $9 or $20 a day.  And you can use OBC to pay for it!

• Like 1

Since laundry is always a hot topic.  I’m on the Statendam now and they want $9 a day, or $63 for a 7-day cruise.  Because I was made aware of this about a week ago, I booked online for $49.  Well, the other day a $63 charge showed up, and I had to go to guest services to have them remove it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Depends on the value of your clothing. Laundry on this ship is a good deal and I  wouldn't sweat it. 

• 5 months later...

Hi - can any recent NS cruisers comment on the laundry service? I was disappointed to read this review recently posted on the HA Nieuw Statendam facebook group.  This changes my packing plans if i can't rely on 24hr service.

20230507_191735.jpg

Screenshot_20230507-191705_Facebook.jpg

@queen_kathy1  i have had a variety of experiences on HAL ships but I don’t think they ever guarantee 24 hour turnaround unless you pay the higher price.  I have occasionally gotten 24 hours but I don’t make a call until 48 hours.   Timing varies depending on the the day you use.  There are certain days everyone sends out laundry and that can slow it down. 

if I were you I would plan on 48 hour turnaround.   

I will say it again - 7 day cruises are not HaL’s strong suit. 

• Like 3

I like to travel light so use the laundry on HAL on every cruise.  I think your cruise may be the outlier for service as I have never had longer than 24-hour turnaround on any HAL cruise since 2006. It sounds like something was definitely off for your cruise.....technical, managerial or crew shortages maybe?  It's a shame you had to be on the unlucky cruise for laundry problems.

I am very happy to hear that the rest of your experience was positive!

Thanks for the report,

~Nancy

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I like to travel light so use the laundry on HAL on every cruise.  I think your cruise may be the outlier for service as I have never had longer than 24-hour turnaround on any HAL cruise since 2006. It sounds like something was definitely off for your cruise.....technical, managerial or crew shortages maybe?  It's a shame you had to be on the unlucky cruise for laundry problems.

I am very happy to hear that the rest of your experience was positive!

Thanks for the report,

~Nancy

Hi Nancy, to clarify, that wasn't my review I shared the screenshots of.  I am sailing 14 nights this July to Norway and up until now, I've read nothing but super positive things about HAL laundry service. Some had said that they often received laundry back same day, so I was thinking to count on 24-36hr service. That post I shared was reviewing last week's Mediterranean cruise and is now reshaping my expectations to 48-72hr.  Thanks for the replies.

• Thanks 1

Just now, queen_kathy1 said:

Hi Nancy, to clarify, that wasn't my review I shared the screenshots of.  I am sailing 14 nights this July to Norway and up until now, I've read nothing but super positive things about HAL laundry service. Some had said that they often received laundry back same day, so I was thinking to count on 24-36hr service. That post I shared was reviewing last week's Mediterranean cruise and is now reshaping my expectations to 48-72hr.  Thanks for the replies.

I think 48 hours is sufficient.   I have never had a 72 hour even on the Amazon where there is a deliberate slowdown to conserve water. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Hi Nancy, to clarify, that wasn't my review I shared the screenshots of. 

Oops, now that I look back, I see that!!  I need to slow down and read more closely.  Have a wonderful time in Norway!! (Land of my Grandparents)

~Nancy

• Like 2

I know you can't send laundry out the last day of the cruise, but can you send it the second to last? First thing in the morning would still be around 48 hours, so I'm hoping that's allowed.

Been back off this ship a week and had a poor experience, put my laundry out on Tuesday at 3pm and my laundry came back sometime Friday, was waiting for me when we got back after our tour. My own fault I suppose but had to wear dirty clothes Friday.

This was on the 7 day Barcelona to Rome cruise.

17 minutes ago, ukpylot said:

Been back off this ship a week and had a poor experience, put my laundry out on Tuesday at 3pm and my laundry came back sometime Friday, was waiting for me when we got back after our tour. My own fault I suppose but had to wear dirty clothes Friday.

This was on the 7 day Barcelona to Rome cruise.

Thanks for your reply. Did u just send out laundry once and had that experience? Any idea why it took so long on your sailing?

18 minutes ago, renee00 said:

I know you can't send laundry out the last day of the cruise, but can you send it the second to last? First thing in the morning would still be around 48 hours, so I'm hoping that's allowed.

They usually you know.  Ask if there is no notice.  My sis always sends hers out 2 days prior 

• Like 1