Passenger Flashmob?

Sancho_proudfoot

I've been watching some really fun Flashmob videos, at weddings, in shopping malls and so on, then I thought " wouldn't a passenger Flashmob on a quiet sea day be fun?"

I seem to recall on previous  cruises there would be a passenger choir, or a performance (like Thriller). So, with the connivance and assistance of the CD, you could gather some passengers who can sing well, have a few rehearsals somewhere out of the way, then at, say, 3.00pm on a sea day, get the music playing and (seemingly) random passengers start singing ("One Day More" from Les Mis is a good one)

• Like 1

Enchantment of the Seas frequently does one under the direction of the CD.  A routine is taught one day, including "becoming invisible in the crowd".  At the appointed time, usually after an event in Centrum, the music comes on, participants wander on to the floor from all over the area, CD is on the band platform, and it all begins.  Fun.

• Like 2

If you are going to impose this on everyone around you please keep your theatrics short so the rest of us can proceed with our day without further interruptions. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 6

We did one on an RCI ship some years ago.

Organised by the entertainment crew, several times during the cruise we had to hide away in a private bar to practice. 

In true flash-dance sequence, it started with the entertainment crew and we joined in at various points during the routine - the more hopeless we were, the later in the routine that we joined (less moves to have to remember). Worked out pretty well.

I reckon it would be pretty disastrous unless the participants were a dance group or it was co-ordinated by ship's crew.

This isn't the one we did, but much of the routine was the same

It did occur to me that it would be a lot easier for a small group of passengers to organise a "flash-freeze".

A big table of us did it once in a restaurant - while the server was taking our order, we all suddenly froze at the same time - one froze part-way through giving their order, another with wine glass halfway to lips, two others mid-clink, another mid-buttering of a bread roll, etc all at the same time - just like in a photo. Then, to the amusement of nearby diners and the bemusement of the server. half a minute or so later and again all at the same time, we continued where we'd left off as if the previous 30 seconds hadn't existed,. Quite a hoot. 😀

Should that not go  down well with a couple of posters on this thread, I accept no liability 😏

JB 🙂

• Like 2

The brief, organized flash mob I described was just a small part of the evening's party.

MDR antics I would find annoying.  I don't like the waiters having to parade around while we are supposed to wave napkins, and I certainly would feel sorry for them if a bunch of diners did the freeze thing or other tricks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The brief, organized flash mob I described was just a small part of the evening's party.

MDR antics I would find annoying.  I don't like the waiters having to parade around while we are supposed to wave napkins, and I certainly would feel sorry for them if a bunch of diners did the freeze thing or other tricks.

Errrrr, what you've described isn't a flash-mob, it's the Baked Alaska Parade.

Yes, they're old hat, and altho it was fun the first time I saw it, nowadays on the rare occasions that I've experienced it I regard as boring.

But it lasts what - five minutes? I don't want to deny others their little bit of fun for five minutes. 

And the flash-freeze that we did in the (appropriate type of) restaurant didn't even last a minute. Nobody was miffed, everyone was amused. 

Sorry, but you seem to have lost your sense of fun.

JB 😐

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Bull said:

And the flash-freeze that we did in the (appropriate type of) restaurant didn't even last a minute. Nobody was miffed, everyone was amused. 

The waitstaff has to be nice to diners no matter how juvenile they act.

I can imagine the the retelling of the story around the crew mess:  "Gawd, I had these idiots who thought it would be funny to freeze mid sentence when I went to their table to that their order.  They made me wait a full minute while I stood there looking like an idiot while everyone around us stared at me and them.  Gawd, I hope they don't do this every night.  I will be so happy when my contract is up!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The waitstaff has to be nice to diners no matter how juvenile they act.

I can imagine the the retelling of the story around the crew mess:  "Gawd, I had these idiots who thought it would be funny to freeze mid sentence when I went to their table to that their order.  They made me wait a full minute while I stood there looking like an idiot while everyone around us stared at me and them.  Gawd, I hope they don't do this every night.  I will be so happy when my contract is up!"

Sorry, but another one with a sense-of-humour by-pass. 🙄

BTW as per my post that was in a restaurant, not on a ship. and it lasted no longer than half-a-minute.

And I don't think a it's something that anyone would do every night.

This one is the best that I've seen by far - altho it was done by professionals.

But you won't want to click on it............... 

Each to their own.

JB 🙂

Your flash freeze restaurant antic was done at the expense of a single individual (the waitstaff person) for the personal amusement of the participants seated at the table and the possible audience of the surrounding diners. That was my objection.

A regular good natured flash mob in a public area - go for it.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Your flash freeze restaurant antic was done at the expense of a single individual (the waitstaff person) for the personal amusement of the participants seated at the table and the possible audience of the surrounding diners. That was my objection.

A regular good natured flash mob in a public area - go for it.

No, you've misunderstood the scenario, Ferry-Watcher - not done at the server's expense. He was as amused as everyone else.

I wrote "bemusement", I should perhaps have written "bemusement then amusement" but it didn't scan.

You really needed to be there to understand.

JB 🙂 

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

No, you've misunderstood the scenario, Ferry-Watcher - not done at the server's expense. He was as amused as everyone else.

I wrote "bemusement", I should perhaps have written "bemusement then amusement" but it didn't scan.

You really needed to be there to understand.

JB 🙂 

Waiters also think every old joke "I think there is a hole in my coffee cup" is "funny".  

• Like 1

Was a participant in several ship board flash mobs: Thriller dance once just before The Quest and once in the Centrum, a dance sequence around the pool, and a dance sequence after the crew show (this also included a wedding proposal which surprised us all!).  None were longer than 5 minutes and lots of fun.  I remember leaving Studio B decked out as a zombie (think lots of white baby powder) and while riding up the elevator a woman turned and said "I didn't know we had zombies on board." My reply "We are everywhere, Madam."

And not a flash mob moment we were on a cruise with many Canadians (all from Chilliwack, BC) and after they had their group photo taken in the Centrum they sang their National Anthem "O Canada." Very moving.

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Waiters also think every old joke "I think there is a hole in my coffee cup" is "funny".  

A flash-freeze isn't a worn old joke, Elaine

Like I said, you really needed to be there to understand

JB 🙂

15 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

I've been watching some really fun Flashmob videos, at weddings, in shopping malls and so on, then I thought " wouldn't a passenger Flashmob on a quiet sea day be fun?"

I seem to recall on previous  cruises there would be a passenger choir, or a performance (like Thriller). So, with the connivance and assistance of the CD, you could gather some passengers who can sing well, have a few rehearsals somewhere out of the way, then at, say, 3.00pm on a sea day, get the music playing and (seemingly) random passengers start singing ("One Day More" from Les Mis is a good one)

To me the charm of a quiet sea day is it is quiet.  I suppose a few talented people could be rounded up to sing, dance in unison, or whatever — but I am inclined to think the outcome would be just a less quiet sea day.

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

A flash-freeze isn't a worn old joke, Elaine

Like I said, you really needed to be there to understand

JB 🙂

A flash freeze is a new one to me.   What would have happened if the service worker walked away to help another table during the prank?  

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

A flash freeze is a new one to me.   What would have happened if the service worker walked away to help another table during the prank?  

Was new to me too, Idubs

Egg on faces, I guess 😀

JB 🙂