Big news! All protocols have been lifted for most voyages

cruisecrazy82

17 minutes ago, NownZen said:

I enjoy the use of english here: "If you need to cancel for any reason not listed in the plan, under the “Any Reason” Cancellation Enhancement feature..."  Interesting to redefine Any Reason in the two halves of the sentence. Or maybe the quotes means to not take it seriously.

One can read the entire policy.

We were onboard when the masking was lifted.  All of sudden some of the cabin stewards

were running around unmasked.  However I noticed most/all Captain & upper crew were remaining

masked.

We are in the passenger masked minority, and still mask outside our cabin. 

I notified our cabin steward that we prefer he mask inside our cabin.  He said No problem.

So you can still request that.

I also just moved our 15 day Hawaii trip to next year, as we really don't like loosening of protocols now.

To each his own, but we won't be subjected to long cruises right now.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

i am very curious about this also.  It is the main reason I might not test if I am not feeling well.  We are in a full suite and I would not want to be moved.  I would not mind isolating in my cabin if needed.

Us too.  

7 minutes ago, Loveh2ofl said:

thanks for that.... the need to have a negative covid test prior to boarding in Australia hasn't changed according to this (last updated 29 September)

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/ 

Edited by Muffinz

21 hours ago, caribill said:

So the cruise we signed up for with the assurance that at least 90% of passengers would be fully vaccinated (completed initial series of injections), interacting crew would be masked, all passengers would be tested within three days of the start of the cruise,etc. is now a cruise with an unlimited number of unvaccinated and untested people and no masking requirements at all for passengers or the crew they encounter.

You have over 52,0000 posts.  You have actively followed and commented on “Live From” threads since the restart as well as multiple informational threads on current sailing onboard environments. You are extremely well informed about the changing and sometimes unexpected protocols. 

With your vast amount of knowledge you must have purchased ironclad CFR insurance.  

With your fears the safest time to cruise is long past. I hope you find new ways to travel and continue to have great experiences in the world. All the best!   

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

You are extremely well informed about the changing and sometimes unexpected protocols. 

If Covid gets worse in the coming months and restrictions (testing, masking) are reimposed for cruising, do you think we will see posts essentially saying:

"I booked this cruise because there were no Covid testing or masking requirements and now, at the last minute when it is too late to cancel without losing 100% of the cost, there are new restrictions. Will Princess let me cancel with no penalty?"

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, caribill said:

If Covid gets worse in the coming months and restrictions (testing, masking) are reimposed for cruising, do you think we will see posts essentially saying:

"I booked this cruise because there were no Covid testing or masking requirements and now, at the last minute when it is too late to cancel without losing 100% of the cost, there are new restrictions. Will Princess let me cancel with no penalty?"

Yes, definitely you will see those posts!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

We were onboard when the masking was lifted.  All of sudden some of the cabin stewards

were running around unmasked.  However I noticed most/all Captain & upper crew were remaining

masked.

I notified our cabin steward that we prefer he mask inside our cabin.  He said No problem.

I also just moved our 15 day Hawaii trip to next year, as we really don't like loosening of protocols now.

I think you are spot on.  The LA Times had an article today that the dropping of Covid protocols is not the time now to let our guard down.  

They said it is giving a false sense of security and that new Covid variants are on the rise, winter is predicted to be epic for flu and Covid and 2500 Americans are still dying a week from Covid.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-10-20/covid-variants-winter-vulnerable-populations

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 2

Common sense and science are starting to communicate. 

I'm all for personal responsibility and taking measures to protect myself.  I do not depend on others on cruise ships, airplanes, trains, grocery stores, theaters, concerts, stadiums, or anywhere else to wear personal protective equipment to somehow protect me.  

Besides, unless mask mandates include a performance certification for the device, such as an N95, it's all theater.

• Like 10

My wife and I have cruise nineteen times with Princess and are taking our first Holland America cruise to the Amazon River next month.

I hope Holland America waives their Covid testing requirements before we depart Fort Lauderdale on November 19th. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Most of the covid regulations are not set by Princess cruises but by the government of the country that the cruise ship is visiting......

for example for cruises boarding in New Zealand and Australia, you still have to have a negative covid test in order to get on board, but this is not the case for other countries.

Also in the last month New Zealand has relaxed it's covid policies and basically done away with all covid restrictions - including mask wearing in shops...etc...

Masks are still required when visiting healthcare facilities and the like though, which makes sense

But unfortunately the inevitable has happened and our covid numbers have started to rise again..... it doesn't help that the new covid variant (B something?) that's very active in Europe has been detected here.

I'm hoping the need for a negative covid test will be scrapped by the time we cruise from Sydney in Feb 2023 - but that's dependent on the Australian government, not Princess

Princess website is in the process of being updated some more - the 'top' page is now dated 10/20!  Also enhanced guidelines voyages that have already left have been deleted and fortunately no new ones have been added!

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/

Edited by Loveh2ofl
more info
  • Like 2

@caribillI am with you.  I have cruised frequently since the restart.  Each cruise had less and less restrictions.  I will continue to cruise and I will continue to wear a KN94/K95 mask for a while longer.  I will continue to test.  I will continue to take safe precautions.  So far, I have remained covid free from a cruise.

On the other hand...My dear vaccinated grand-daughter is in that generation of being isolated and masked for 3 years.  She is now bringing home "new" germs from pre-school.  Mom, brother, and her have this respiratory virus since the little ones are catching everything from this new world exposure.  Dad, who has worked from home for the past 3 years, doesn't seem to catch anything for anyone. 

Moral of story, it will take a while for our immune systems to rebuild after being in hiding for so long.  Do what you need to do to feel safe.  I am not ready for this brave new world, yet.  Inching my foot into the waters slowly.  

Good luck.  If you go on the cruise, I hope you will have a wonderful time.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My dear vaccinated grand-daughter is in that generation of being isolated and masked for 3 years.  She is now bringing home "new" germs from pre-school.  Mom, brother, and her have this respiratory virus since the little ones are catching everything from this new world exposure. 

my 11 yo was always sick with something in preschool and kindy. It got better in 1st grade. And it had nothing to do with the pandemic.

Right now RSV, covid, flu, cold and strep are making their rounds...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

my 11 yo was always sick with something in preschool and kindy. It got better in 1st grade. And it had nothing to do with the pandemic.

Right now RSV, covid, flu, cold and strep are making their rounds...

Exactly my point.  When children start going to (pre) school, they pick up EVERYTHING they have not been exposed to before.  It is a little more exacerbated post covid when they were exposed to nothing.  Another example.  First year teachers would get the dreaded crud the first few months of school.  Experienced teachers were exposed to these germs years before.  

It will take some time for all of us to develop a healthy immune system.  Some of us have a better immune systems than others.  You have to assess your risk tolerance.  I am slowly venturing out.  WIll I go ballroom dancing with someone unmasked 6 inches from my face?  I don't think so, yet.  Will I cruise?  Yes, and I have.

• Like 2

I’m not thrilled to hear this news. We’ve taken 6 cruises this year (newly retired) because we felt safe with the protocols in place, took our own precautions and never got sick on any of the cruises. Did finally catch Covid at home ironically and not sure how.

Our next cruise is a transatlantic leaving in 2 weeks. As protocols slowly started being dropped, we felt reassured that as a 16 day cruise ours would still require testing, etc. Now it’s a free for all. Yes, we could probably cancel but in the meantime we have scheduled other parts of our trip around the cruise so we will go. 
I really understand why people are rejoicing at this news. It’s great that things feel almost normal, but I won’t be planning any more cruises after this one until Covid is “endemic” and we’re not there yet.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 1:09 AM, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

masked.

Very strange, we where at the most travelled passenger lunch moments after the announcements, all officers had removed there's masks. 

20 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I’m not thrilled to hear this news. We’ve taken 6 cruises this year (newly retired) because we felt safe with the protocols in place, took our own precautions and never got sick on any of the cruises. Did finally catch Covid at home ironically and not sure how.

Our next cruise is a transatlantic leaving in 2 weeks. As protocols slowly started being dropped, we felt reassured that as a 16 day cruise ours would still require testing, etc. Now it’s a free for all. Yes, we could probably cancel but in the meantime we have scheduled other parts of our trip around the cruise so we will go. 
I really understand why people are rejoicing at this news. It’s great that things feel almost normal, but I won’t be planning any more cruises after this one until Covid is “endemic” and we’re not there yet.

I would be very surprised with your view point if you ever cruise again. This will most probably be your last. Covid is here for good. 

Edited by antsp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

Enjoy your cruise in a few weeks.  At least you know that those who are booked on your cruise are "probably" vaccinated and maybe even boosted.  With a 2 week lead time, I doubt many jumped on board at the last minute.  

They may even be considerate enough to take a home test before getting on the ship.  Nothing like getting on a cruise and finding out you have COVID (or the flu or Noro).  

Malama Pono (take care)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caribill said:

Of course we will see those posts.  And they will be as ridiculous as posts today that complain the rules changed since booking. The response is the same.  Requirements for travel can not be considered static at this time. If one can not adapt and accept last minute changes (in any direction) with regards to testing, masking, vaccination……… travel is not an activity they should engage in.

Everyone comes out of this pandemic at their own pace. What is right for one isn’t right for another. I felt I was slow coming out. But now I am and do completely understand and respect those that haven’t yet.   

• Like 3

Princess announcement:

News you'll love: Cruising is easier than ever!

Cruising just got a Whole lot easier.

You love travel, and we love making it simple to fulfill those dreams. So we're happy to report that beginning October 21, most of our cruises no longer have vaccination or testing requirements.

This protocol shift applies to itineraries to all destinations except where government regulations vary, such as Australia, and on a few enhanced guidelines voyages that have their own vaccination and testing requirements. (Want details? Learn more here ❯)
If you're booked, be sure to check for any itinerary-specific requirements in your Cruise Personalizer®.

You'll also notice a relaxation of other guidelines, like mask-wearing by guests and crew. Now you can see the smiles on those who welcome you aboard as well as the new friends you meet along the way.

We hope you make plans to experience the world with us and can't wait to share new adventures with you soon.