Carnival Cruise Line Cracks Down On Deck Chair Hogs

mnocket

5 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

1. I do not remove their property.  I move their property carefully 12 inches;

2. I choose chairs with very few very impersonal items, like a towel or book;  I don't want to get involved in a large or complicated moving project;

3. Exactly what conflict?  The person get's immediate use of the chair they saved.  Their towel or book is right there.  They are going to throw a tantrum because someone used a chair they weren't using?  "Someone touched my towel!"

4. Get real;

1. I am not requiring anyone to abide to some arbitrary standard.  In point of fact, I am recognizing and supporting the chair savers arbitrary standard;

2. The person get's their saved chair immediately;  Their saved chair is still saved for them.  They suffer exactly zero harm or inconvenience;

3. The entitled person in this scenario is the person that throws a tantrum because someone used a chair they weren't using;

4. OK Boomer;

This is why we can't have nice things.

Wow.  The perfect chair caper.  The criminal mind always think it is very clever and innocent and will not be caught.  Trespassing is still trespassing no matter how you try to rationalize it or dress it up. Entitlement runs wild on the Lido Deck and CC.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Wow.  The perfect chair caper.  The criminal mind always think it is very clever and innocent and will not be caught.  Trespassing is still trespassing no matter how you try to rationalize it or dress it up. Entitlement runs wild on the Lido Deck and CC.  

What color is the sky in your world?

Criminal mind, chair caper.  Trespassing?!? 

Wow indeed.  

Edited by The Greater Fool
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

I think we can all agree that a quick trip to the buffet then back to the lounger is completely inbounds. 

But how about those who think is alright to go the buffet then eat a meal while there before returning to their lounger?

Surely sounds like the textbook definition of a Chair Hog. 

Agree, They are taking two chairs out of circulation - the one they saved at the pool, and the one they are occupying in the buffet. I see nothing wrong with going to the buffet to pick up food and bringing it back to eat at the pool. But sitting in the buffet to eat while denying people an unused lounger is not appropriate. Chair hog times two!

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

It's easy to identify the chair hogs on this forum by their unending rationalization and excuses for doing what they do. And now they are shouting about criminal minds and trespassing! The truly entitled are here in full force defending their anti-social actions. 

• Like 7

6 am - puts down towel(s) on 4 prime poolside chairs, then leaves

8 am - comes back and occupies one lounger, then goes to buffet to meet others

10 am - 3 come to pool, occupy lounge chairs ... where's Jim - oh he'll be here after the slot tournament at 1 pm

11:30 - all 3 go to lunch - come back at 12:45 - Jim shows up at 2:30 - leaves at 3 to go rest

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I do not understand the concept of some chairs being so desirable as to generate all this heat.  There are plenty of chairs in the sun and plenty in the shade.  I do not need to be close to the whale tank (the pool) as I relax.  So what is the whole point?  Why is one chair more desirable?  

• Like 3

Over time I've seen many threads about 'chair hogs' and the social faux pas of reserving a lounger for later use.  However, in the decade I've been cruising (yes, I do know that makes me a 'newbie' in some peoples eyes) I've never come across this situation.  Am I just incredibly lucky or is this maybe a matter which can get blown out of all proportion because, let's face it, there's not a lot to get upset about on a cruise ship?

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Over time I've seen many threads about 'chair hogs' and the social faux pas of reserving a lounger for later use.  However, in the decade I've been cruising (yes, I do know that makes me a 'newbie' in some peoples eyes) I've never come across this situation.  Am I just incredibly lucky or is this maybe a matter which can get blown out of all proportion because, let's face it, there's not a lot to get upset about on a cruise ship?

We saw it on our first few cruises, but haven't really experienced it on the last few, even before the pandemic.  

I'm glad I don't want a chair by the pool or in the sun. I have seen people carefully plotting their chair hogging strategies, placing various items in chairs before 8 a.m. Princess would do everyone a favor if they simply had crew members make a sweep of the area around that time and remove any left items. At that time of day, it would be easy to ascertain if anyone was in the pool or a hot tub and ask them if any of the items were theirs before removing them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

I'm glad I don't want a chair by the pool or in the sun. I have seen people carefully plotting their chair hogging strategies, placing various items in chairs before 8 a.m. Princess would do everyone a favor if they simply had crew members make a sweep of the area around that time and remove any left items. At that time of day, it would be easy to ascertain if anyone was in the pool or a hot tub and ask them if any of the items were theirs before removing them.

Agreed.  
Doing so might help eliminate the self-entitled who can’t possibly be expected to pry themselves away from their lounger to go the buffet, eat, then exercise and only then return to their lounger 40 or so minutes later whenever they darn well please. 

“ I can't make my way into the buffet and eat and back in 20 minutes.  40 minutes allows you to go exercise, eat something and return.  I think that is more than fair.”

(There’s that pesky context thing again.)

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

And they will find my DW in the pool. She usually goes there as soon as it is scheduled to open. She often has to wait for them to take the netting off and/or check the chlorine levels.

• Like 1

Having recently cruised on Coral Princess there were deck chairs everywhere with passengers belongings on them but no people in sight. 40 minutes is ample time to do what you need to do.  I also think  that passengers when vacating the deck chair remove their towels and return them to the used towel box which frees up a lot of chairs. On Coral, the crew went around and picked them up which can take a bit of time. Small signs dotted around the pool area wouldn’t go amiss.  If you vacate your seat for longer than 40 minutes, your belongings will be removed.  PLUS  please return your  used towel to the laundry box 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fortunatefew said:

Having recently cruised on Coral Princess there were deck chairs everywhere with passengers belongings on them but no people in sight. 40 minutes is ample time to do what you need to do.  I also think  that passengers when vacating the deck chair remove their towels and return them to the used towel box which frees up a lot of chairs. On Coral, the crew went around and picked them up which can take a bit of time. Small signs dotted around the pool area wouldn’t go amiss.  If you vacate your seat for longer than 40 minutes, your belongings will be removed.  PLUS  please return your  used towel to the laundry box 

Agree 100%. 

19 hours ago, candy4040 said:

This issue will never be resolved.  I can't believe we are already to a page 5 on this topic.  

So true.  We have been on Princess ships and have witnessed when a Chair Rescuer was caught by a Chair Hog using their chair and the confrontation can be unsettling.  Also, rarely have we ever seen Princess staff mediate the dispute which is even more unsettling.  

13 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Really, in the name of fairness.. the solution is simple. If your bum's not sitting on it.. it's not yours. 🙂 

So when someone is swimming, they are not entitled to have their stuff on a lounger?

• Like 2

To go swimming? Can’t imagine anyone would have a problem with that.

But when someone decides to… make my way into the buffet and eat and back in 20 minutes.  40 minutes allows you to go exercise, eat somethingand return.  

If one decides to go elsewhere to eat a meal and exercise, we’ll that’s just plain silly  and clearly self-entitled. 

• Like 3