Is the first night prime rib being replaced by “Manhattan Beef Steak”?

NutsAboutGolf

This is on the Solstice next month.  While I understand menus can change as we get closer but it does seem already fully populated with lobster and Wellington.  I’ve been on X 78 nights since the restart and have never seen Manhattan Beef Steak and I haven’t seen them not offer prime rib on the first night either.

What is it you ask?

Not sure how X will do theirs but it’s generally a slice a bread on the bottom, beef in the middle, mashed potatoes on top of the beef and finally gravy over everything

8BEC16AB-E2C8-45A2-8425-4137D4152C22.thumb.jpeg.20bcc8a14bd166200543f44d320ae992.jpeg

First time I've seen that also.   I just checked the current Solstice sailing and they also had the New York Beef Stake.    I then checked Summit and Millennium and they had Prime Rib on day one.  hmmm.

The question of course is what is a New York Beef Steak ?    When I googled on it the results seem to show a NY Strip steak.   

When we were on Summit B2B2B August-Sept  they had Prime on each day one menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We embark on New Year's Eve.  None of the menu's show prime rib. Luminae's menu is so unappealing we booked Murano's at a substantial upcharge, considering we get free specialty dining. Choices are: *Rigatoni in a spicy sauce, Seared Black Bass, Guinea Hen, *Roasted Lamb Loin with Merguez sausage, *Spiced Eggplant.  The *indicate spicy. The appetizers are not much better, one raw, one oysters, and a spicy crab cake, along with a salad. I'm not generally a picky eater but don't do raw or oysters and can't eat spicy at night. If they app changes we'll cancel Murano's but right now we are prepared for the upcharge even though the menu is the same as other nights.

Never heard of this.  Any kind of bread on the bottom sucks the life out of beef - and what cut of beef is it?  Filet?  Unknown?  Bordelaise sauce may be a fancier gravy, but I agree just a salty gravy.  Sounds awful.

All the other choices sound much better, I'd take any of them, although the potatoes, while I like Indian food, sound underwhelming.

mmmm....trout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not sure how X will do theirs but it’s generally a slice a bread on the bottom, beef in the middle, mashed potatoes on top of the beef and finally gravy over everything

I lived in NYC nearly half my life and worked most of my career in NYC as well. I've dined at countless NYC steakhouses. I've never been served beef in this manner, nor have I ever heard of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This sounds like an open face hot beef sandwich you would get at a family restaurant or at home made using leftover beef from a previous night roast beef dinner. Not what I would expect in a cruise main dining room for dinner. For lunch yes

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

Never heard of this.  Any kind of bread on the bottom sucks the life out of beef - and what cut of beef is it?  Filet?  Unknown?  Bordelaise sauce may be a fancier gravy, but I agree just a salty gravy.  Sounds awful.

Try the same thing with a thick layer of pâté under the steak, topped with a good Bordelaise.  First had it in Brussels.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

First time I've seen that also.   I just checked the current Solstice sailing and they also had the New York Beef Stake.    I then checked Summit and Millennium and they had Prime Rib on day one.  hmmm.

The question of course is what is a New York Beef Steak ?    When I googled on it the results seem to show a NY Strip steak.   

When we were on Summit B2B2B August-Sept  they had Prime on each day one menu.

58 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I lived in NYC nearly half my life and worked most of my career in NYC as well. I've dined at countless NYC steakhouses. I've never been served beef in this manner, nor have I ever heard of it.

6 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I live in NY and work in Manhattan and haven’t heard of this. 
The closest is a NY strip (striploin) steak. 
my guess is it’s a cheaper alternative to prime rib which has gotten better expensive.

Perhaps it’s more expensive to get it in LA but my fear this an unofficial “prime rib replacement” pilot program.

My best guess is they’ll use the same NY strip steak on the timeless menu.

Perhaps it’s already being served on the solstice; Google didn’t yield anything

Just looked at the mdr menu on the x app for our upcoming cruise , they eliminated prime rib on the first night , replaced it with a sirloin steak, good luck chewing that. 
later on in the cruise the beef Wellington is being prepared with strip loin instead of traditional tenderloin. Good luck chewing that too. Very disappointing. Been looking forward to this cruise for almost a year. X always had great food……in the past.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More info on the origin of the dish:

About Beef Manhattan
The dish that is known as a “Manhattan” in many parts of the United States actually has nothing to do with New York City. The Beef Manhattan started in Indianapolis later in the 1940s, in a small deli. The dish is said to be named by Naval Ordnance Plant Indianapolis workers who trained on the fabrication of the Norden Bombsight in Manhattan during World War II. 

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

What is it you ask?

8BEC16AB-E2C8-45A2-8425-4137D4152C22.thumb.jpeg.20bcc8a14bd166200543f44d320ae992.jpeg

I think what you described is "Beef Manhattan".   "Manhattan Steak" is a smaller trimmed cut of New York Steak.

I’ve been hearing rumors of the prime rib no longer being offered. 😢 

At some point it was removed from our sailing a month from now. We usually book the retreat but I have always looked forward to enjoying the incredible prime rib either in the main dining room (or even hitting up one of the dinning rooms on Edge class ships) or from the option to order from the main dining room in Luminae. 

0F78ACA7-5E06-4C0F-91A3-CBCF92623EF8.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We embark on New Year's Eve.  None of the menu's show prime rib. Luminae's menu is so unappealing we booked Murano's at a substantial upcharge, considering we get free specialty dining. Choices are: *Rigatoni in a spicy sauce, Seared Black Bass, Guinea Hen, *Roasted Lamb Loin with Merguez sausage, *Spiced Eggplant.  The *indicate spicy. The appetizers are not much better, one raw, one oysters, and a spicy crab cake, along with a salad. I'm not generally a picky eater but don't do raw or oysters and can't eat spicy at night. If they app changes we'll cancel Murano's but right now we are prepared for the upcharge even though the menu is the same as other nights.

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

More info on the origin of the dish:

About Beef Manhattan
The dish that is known as a “Manhattan” in many parts of the United States actually has nothing to do with New York City. The Beef Manhattan started in Indianapolis later in the 1940s, in a small deli. The dish is said to be named by Naval Ordnance Plant Indianapolis workers who trained on the fabrication of the Norden Bombsight in Manhattan during World War II. 

We have cruised RS & PS during the last few years (pre & post covid) and we have found Luminae less than inspiring; in fact, OV has been a better option on more than one occasion!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lostchild said:

I think what you described is "Beef Manhattan".   "Manhattan Steak" is a smaller trimmed cut of New York Steak.

We're not yet entirely sure what exactly is being served, I went to the current Solstice roll call to ask if anyone had any insight but @Jim_Iain beat me to the punch (lol).  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is it's far more likely X will serve the cheapest option and that's probably their timeless NY sirloin for this dish.

The term Manhattan Steak is uncommon, the most popular name for it is the Manhattan Cut followed by Manhattan Filet.  While it is trimmed from a NY sirloin, it's generally very thick.

41 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Just looked at the mdr menu on the x app for our upcoming cruise , they eliminated prime rib on the first night , replaced it with a sirloin steak, good luck chewing that. 
later on in the cruise the beef Wellington is being prepared with strip loin instead of traditional tenderloin. Good luck chewing that too. Very disappointing. Been looking forward to this cruise for almost a year. X always had great food……in the past.

The sirloin steak was actually not tough.  Again it was about 3/16" thick.

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We're not yet entirely sure what exactly is being served, I went to the current Solstice roll call to ask if anyone had any insight but @Jim_Iain beat me to the punch (lol).  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is it's far more likely X will serve the cheapest option and that's probably their timeless NY sirloin for this dish.

The term Manhattan Steak is uncommon, the most popular name for it is the Manhattan Cut followed by Manhattan Filet.  While it is trimmed from a NY sirloin, it's generally very thick.

I am almost certain that it will be a small piece of NY steak as Manhattan is a small piece of NY LOL.   IMO, NY steak is already kind of small comparing to ribeye or T-bone.  I would rather have the Prime Rib than a full size NY steak.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We were on Solstice last month. They had prime rib on the MDR menu night 7 . I looked for prime rib the 1st night and did not see it. I just looked at our Nov 5 cruise on Solstice. The app has Prime rib under day 7 MDR menu.

Yup, my sailing also has it on night 7.  Not gone but moved to the last night for some reason.  Also Wellington has a tenderloin

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yup, my sailing also has it on night 7.  Not gone but moved to the last night for some reason.

Wonder if it has to do with how a particular ship rotates through all its menus from cruise to cruise

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Sea bass and oysters. Sign me up. 

• Like 1